Assistant coaches

NCJETSFAN

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WR coach, DB coach, ST coach AND Player Development Coordinator.

One article I read (ESPN I think) mentioned the Jets as the healthiest team in the league. Shout out to the strength and conditioning coach.

Considering how often the Jet "D" was on the field this season, I'm glad we had no significant injuries.... especially on the D line.

Sheldon is an animal. To be a rookie and come in and make that kind of impact and blasting through the "Rookie Wall" (about 12 games)

Maty's under contract, thank heavens!

In a December 27 article, The Great Cimini indicated the following coaches were going to be free agents:

Soon-to-be free agents include Mike Devlin (offensive line), Karl Dunbar (defensive line), Ben Kotwica (special-teams coordinator), Sanjay Lal (wide receivers), Anthony Lynn (assistant head coach/running backs) and Dennis Thurman (defensive coordinator), sources said.

It is not clear whether any of these guys actually will be retained, but one would think the Jets would have been more proactive if they had intentions to keep them.

Devlin's and Kotwica's units did little to impress in their first year at a new job. Lal might be happy to move on considering what the Jets gave him to work with. Dunbar would be a loss. Thurman would also be an interesting departure. He has been a key part of Rex Ryan's game-planning since the Baltimore days. After losing Mike Pettine a year ago, it would be the second straight season a part of the Rex defensive brain trust left Florham Park.

These guys are unsigned because you aren't going to extend them for longer than the Head Coach's contract. Once Rex's extension is done, these guys will be signed. They probably have verbal promises.

real offer >>>>>> promise

it would be colossally stupid to let them get to the point where you bring in competition from other jobs.  how complex could rex's extension be ?  why isn't it done ?

Dunbar definitely needs to be brought back.  Could see arguments for Devlin and Lynn as well, but also wouldn't see a problem with going in a new direction for either.  Thurman should only be considered IF they think he can actually be a real DC as opposed to... whatever he was this year.  Lal absolutely needs to be gone.

He's basicly a free agent ! And they are always looking to a long contract so if gruden calls and says he will give him 3 years he prob will go

If you're Dunbar, who would you rather coach? Mo, Snacks, Sheldon, Coples, Ellis...with $50 mil cap space and 12 picks, OR a Redskin unit losing Orakpo, no 1st round pick, in cap hell, with an owner like Snyder? Contracts being somewhat equal, I think he stays with a Defensive minded coach in Rex and 3 potential All-Pros.

if any of these guys can get a promotion with another team, Rex isn't gonna stand in their way. Otherwise yeah its probably all depending on Rex's deal getting done. 

that's a 5 step process between two parties that have daily contact.  what could be taking so long ?  

It's quite possible that Rex doesn't get an extension this year. That he doesn't want to sign a one year deal, and that the front office isn't ready to give him more than that. If he's just going to coach out his remaining deal, that's probably a complication in getting these assistants done.

I think there is a good chance management will be pushing for hiring a more legit DC than Thurman, putting Rex in a better position to act as more of a HC.  This alone is a good reason for not immediately re-signing anyone (even Dunbar) on that side of the ball.  On the offensive side, did MM inherit the staff or hire them himself?

One article I read (ESPN I think) mentioned the Jets as the healthiest team in the league. Shout out to the strength and conditioning coach.

Considering how often the Jet "D" was on the field this season, I'm glad we had no significant injuries.... especially on the D line.

This has been true for the better part of a decade, which means it probably has more to do with the training staff than the S&C guys.

Goes without saying that we need to pay whatever it takes to keep Dunbar. None of the rest would be a particularly big loss.

If you're Dunbar, who would you rather coach? Mo, Snacks, Sheldon, Coples, Ellis...with $50 mil cap space and 12 picks, OR a Redskin unit losing Orakpo, no 1st round pick, in cap hell, with an owner like Snyder? Contracts being somewhat equal, I think he stays with a Defensive minded coach in Rex and 3 potential All-Pros.

Well if ur head coach is on a 1 year extension and u can get more years from someone else. U leave . It's not about who ur coaching for assistants it's about guarantee money

Well if ur head coach is on a 1 year extension and u can get more years from someone else. U leave . It's not about who ur coaching for assistants it's about guarantee money

Contracts being somewhat equal, I think he stays with a Defensive minded coach in Rex and 3 potential All-Pros.

I don't think you read everything I wrote. If someone else is offering more years and more guaranteed $ of course he takes it. I'm saying he would stay with the Jets over Wash. if $ was close.

Contracts being somewhat equal, I think he stays with a Defensive minded coach in Rex and 3 potential All-Pros.

I don't think you read everything I wrote. If someone else is offering more years and more guaranteed $ of course he takes it. I'm saying he would stay with the Jets over Wash. if $ was close.

Well of course but the jets prob a

Only want 1 ur deals with most

Because you don't want to stick your next head coach with a position coach he may not want?

Maybe? I think they'd be crazy not trying to keep him.

Has there been any word on Rex's contract? Are they holding him to his contract or doing an extension?

The very picture of a lame duck coach. How do you upgrade your assistants if your coach is in this situation?

No one will want to come here.

Maybe? I think they'd be crazy not trying to keep him.

Has there been any word on Rex's contract? Are they holding him to his contract or doing an extension?

The very picture of a lame duck coach. How do you upgrade your assistants if your coach is in this situation?

No one will want to come here.

Tis a mystery, and a mess right now.

$$$$  X  #/yrs.

step 1 - friendly openers, basic framework

step 2 - initial offer from jets

step 3 - counter offer from rex's agent

step 4 - revised offer from jets

step 5 - iron out the wording

with two parties that are currently contractually bound to each other, with no possible outside influences or bidding, this is a 3 day process

step 1 - friendly openers, basic framework

step 2 - initial offer from jets

step 3 - counter offer from rex's agent

step 4 - revised offer from jets

step 5 - iron out the wording

with two parties that are currently contractually bound to each other, with no possible outside influences or bidding, this is a 3 day process

Hopefully, like players, "Coaches Love Playing for Rex" and Dunbar sticks around for a couple of years.

Hopefully, like players, "Coaches Love Playing for Rex" and Dunbar sticks around for a couple of years.

agreed, dunbar needs to stay.

it's really strange.  things are quiet.  its like when a few 7 year olds are playing in the other room and its quiet.  that's when you go check on them, lol

It's quite possible that Rex doesn't get an extension this year. That he doesn't want to sign a one year deal, and that the front office isn't ready to give him more than that. If he's just going to coach out his remaining deal, that's probably a complication in getting these assistants done.

Bingo!

That's exactly it.  

In answer to Larz question "how complex could Rex's extension be ?"   This is a very complex situation.  They are probably offering Rex a one year extension.  I'm sure he wants  2-3 year extension.   If you live outside NY you hear on, in my case,  So Florida talk  radio, what an outstanding job Rex did, wish he was here.  

Rex's agent is aware of this.  Rex has complete confidence in himself.  The Jets have, as we all know, 40-50 million in cap space, and 12 draft picks,  If Smith doesn't sh*t the bed again, the Jets have a very high likelihood of going to the playoffs.  If Rex is a lame duck when this happens his price goes way up, with a lot of competition to sign him.  

Now fast forward to Dunbar.  He is one of the best DL coaches in the NFL. Anyone who doesn't think  he is a major part of the development of a player like Richardson, I believe you are mistaken.  Why should Dunbar except a one year contract when I'm sure other teams are willing to offer him a 3-5 year contract.  He might bolt.  That would be a very stupid move by the Jets.

The solution is simple.  Give Rex his 2-3 year extension.  If the Jets don't make the play offs, fire him and eat the 3-7 million.  Chump change in a 1,000,000,000 + dollar investment.  With the talent of this DL Dunbar will accept the 2-3 year extension over a 3-5 year deal with a team that just fired their HC because they suck.  This DL could be the spring that launches him to a HC job in a year or two.  That's every coaches goal.  At worst it might lead to DC's job. 

​To leave a coach like Dunbar in limbo while they haggle over a few million dollars with Rex, is very SOJ FO  like.  If they want to get this team out of the crap hole, give both Rex and Dunbar their extensions.  To lose Dunbar is stupid.

This might be one of the first decisions to determine if Idzik is a good winning GM, or a bean counter. 

Bingo!

That's exactly it.  

In answer to Larz question "how complex could Rex's extension be ?"   This is a very complex situation.  They are probably offering Rex a one year extension.  I'm sure he wants  2-3 year extension.   If you live outside NY you hear on, in my case,  So Florida talk  radio, what an outstanding job Rex did, wish he was here.  

Rex's agent is aware of this.  Rex has complete confidence in himself.  The Jets have, as we all know, 40-50 million in cap space, and 12 draft picks,  If Smith doesn't sh*t the bed again, the Jets have a very high likelihood of going to the playoffs.  If Rex is a lame duck when this happens his price goes way up, with a lot of competition to sign him.  

Now fast forward to Dunbar.  He is one of the best DL coaches in the NFL. Anyone who doesn't think  he is a major part of the development of a player like Richardson, I believe you are mistaken.  Why should Dunbar except a one year contract when I'm sure other teams are willing to offer him a 3-5 year contract.  He might bolt.  That would be a very stupid move by the Jets.

The solution is simple.  Give Rex his 2-3 year extension.  If the Jets don't make the play offs, fire him and eat the 3-7 million.  Chump change in a 1,000,000,000 + dollar investment.  With the talent of this DL Dunbar will accept the 2-3 year extension over a 3-5 year deal with a team that just fired their HC because they suck.  This DL could be the spring that launches him to a HC job in a year or two.  That's every coaches goal.  At worst it might lead to DC's job. 

​To leave a coach like Dunbar in limbo while they haggle over a few million dollars with Rex, is very SOJ FO  like.  If they want to get this team out of the crap hole, give both Rex and Dunbar their extensions.  To lose Dunbar is stupid.

This might be one of the first decisions to determine if Idzik is a good winning GM, or a bean counter. 

This.

If Dunbar likes working with Rex, and likes working with the talent he has with the Jets, and has confidence in himself, there's no reason not for him to accept a one year extension. He'll be in the same boat as Rex next year, and if the front office brings in talent, it'll be a good boat to be in. The team, defense, and DL should all have a good year. Either they'll make their money with the Jets in 2015, or they'll make it somewhere else.

Archived