It's a passing league!

stoicsentry

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running games are valuable to good teams who are trying to run out the clock and seal a win.  The success of running games in this year's playoffs does not mean we're reverting to a running league.  Keep in mind that a lot of the games this weekend occurred in bad weather and running the ball had an increased importance.

Every playoff winner rushed for at least 100 yards, most of them a lot more. Discuss.

When you have even the THREAT of a passing game, you can easily run the ball. When your passing game resembles a bad 3rd grade dodge ball game, Jim Brown and Barry Sanders would average about 2YPC.

Frank Gore may be the most underrated player over the past 10 years. We're also starting to see the NFL revert back to the great teams and everyone else. Not surprising at all to see the chalk advance.

Harbaugh vs Rivera was a total mismatch. As was Belichick vs Pagano.

Frank Gore may be the most underrated player over the past 10 years. We're also starting to see the NFL revert back to the great teams and everyone else. Not surprising at all to see the chalk advance.

Harbaugh vs Rivera was a total mismatch. As was Belichick vs Pagano.

Do you mean underrated as in he's not often in the conversation of the top NFL backs or by some fans? I could maybe see underrated by some East Coast people that don't get to see him, but the guy has been to 5 pro-bowls (4 of the last 5 years) and usually seems very highly regarded. Not sure I'd say underrated, either way, it still boggles my mind all the backs they had on the Miami team.

Do you mean underrated as in he's not often in the conversation of the top NFL backs or by some fans? I could maybe see underrated by some East Coast people that don't get to see him, but the guy has been to 5 pro-bowls (4 of the last 5 years) and usually seems very highly regarded. Not sure I'd say underrated, either way, it still boggles my mind all the backs they had on the Miami team.

He's one of the few guys that always has success vs teams that stop the run well. Gore doesnt get a ton of credit nationally imo...he was their MVP today I thought.

He's one of the few guys that always has success vs teams that stop the run well. Gore doesnt get a ton of credit nationally imo...he was their MVP today I thought.

I can see that, but I would definitely chalk it up to being on the west coast. If he's on an east coast team, he'd probably get more love. Obviously he'd thrive in any offense, but his style would fit MM like a glove. I love me some Ivory, but it'd be nice to have the best back on our team be able to function catching the ball.

DVOA ranks of Divisional Round quarterbacks: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11, 14, 19

Not surprising.

Obviously QB-play is the ultimate factor, but interestingly enough, the DVOA rankings of divisional round defenses:

edit: way wrong reading that. Only a few teams made it into the top 10 (Seattle at 1, Carolina at 3 and NO at 10).  A bit surprising that San Fran was only 15th, they looked significantly better whenever I watched them play.

Passing league, smassing league... it's a league where predetermined outcomes cast a shadow on the playoffs.

If I had access to the research, I'd bet anything that it would confirm that the Brady/Manning and 49er/Seahawks rivalries are 2 of the top 5 most profitable rivalries for the NFL, their advertisers, etc.

I watched that abomination of a game last night, and saw the Pats get away with anything they wanted.

I turned on the Carolina game today, and in the first 10 seconds coming out of the half the announcers were talking about a non-call favoring the 49ers. I turned it off.

I'll watch tonight, but The Denver Mannings will win, no doubt. I want to see if they can do it without help from the stripes.

The point is not that the passing game isn't important. Anyone that's watched the Jets the past 5 years knows how much the lack of a passing game can doom you. The point is that anyone who thinks running the ball is irrelevant is being wildly hyperbolic. If you think running the ball or run defense doesn't matter anymore than I suggest that you re-watch the Patriots Colts game.

POTW.

I was beyond shocked looking it up, then realized I was a moroon and read it wrong.  Tell ya the truth, I was pretty surprised to see only three teams in the top 10. Everyone knows QB play is the number one factor in how your team operates, but I was surprised that we didn't see better defenses scattered throughout the playoffs. Clearly having a well balanced team like the Seahawks (1st in defense and 7th in offense) is the ideal, but the only team outside the top 10 in offensive rankings was Indy and they just got booted. Philly being 2nd and having a dumpster fire on defense is also not ideal, but all the numbers do is show that QB play and thus offense is the most important thing in this league. Having a good defense is great and certainly helps win a ring, but QBs and offenses drive this league, no question.

The point is not that the passing game isn't important. Anyone that's watched the Jets the past 5 years knows how much the lack of a passing game can doom you. The point is that anyone who thinks running the ball is irrelevant is being wildly hyperbolic. If you think running the ball or run defense doesn't matter anymore than I suggest that you re-watch the Patriots Colts game.

I'm honestly not sure anyone on here has said that running the ball is irrelevant, just that you can't base your entire offense on it. Yes, the patriots dominated the game on the ground, but that's not their norm.  Of course, if any team catches fire running the ball they are going to stick with it, but that's not how you should build a team or expect to operate for the entirety of a season, which is not to say one should ignore it either.

I was beyond shocked looking it up, then realized I was a moroon and read it wrong.  Tell ya the truth, I was pretty surprised to see only three teams in the top 10. Everyone knows QB play is the number one factor in how your team operates, but I was surprised that we didn't see better defenses scattered throughout the playoffs. Clearly having a well balanced team like the Seahawks (1st in defense and 7th in offense) is the ideal, but the only team outside the top 10 in offensive rankings was Indy and they just got booted. Philly being 2nd and having a dumpster fire on defense is also not ideal, but all the numbers do is show that QB play and thus offense is the most important thing in this league. Having a good defense is great and certainly helps win a ring, but QBs and offenses drive this league, no question.

The regular season has become predictable while the playoffs have become totally random.

Both of the remaining NFC teams have good defenses, probably both should be considered defensive teams

While Seattle is the best defensive team in the league, San Fran is only 15th, so I'm not sure I'd call them a defensive team.  They're probably best described as a well-balanced team as they both have top 10 offenses, good QB play, a good ground game and above average defenses.  They're not the '09 or '10 Jets.

The regular season has become predictable while the playoffs have become totally random.

Pretty much. There's the half-dozen teams who have elite quarterbacks that are guaranteed to make the playoffs and then a couple spots where anyone can get in. Outside of an injury to Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Wilson, Kaep, Brees and whoever else I'm missing, their respective teams are going to make the playoffs 9 out of 10 times.

Teams scoring less than 14 points are not having a good time in the playoffs. And you would have better luck asking the Jets' offense to conjugate Latin verbs than score more than 2 TDs. There's no threat the can pass, so defenses can stop them very easily. But carry on and pretend the Jets' offense is worth more than a cold bucket of piss.

Teams scoring less than 14 points are not having a good time in the playoffs. And you would have better luck asking the Jets' offense to conjugate Latin verbs than score more than 2 TDs. There's no threat the can pass, so defenses can stop them very easily. But carry on and pretend the Jets' offense is worth more than a cold bucket of piss.

Man, you're always just so cheerful ;) We did average 22 points on offense the last quarter of the season, so I don't think being cautiously optimistic about our offense is that unrealistic.

Is it even possible to conjugate a latin verb?

Archived