Slow content day? Here's a mock draft I did!

T0mShane

Why would the Rams trade down with Lee still on the board when they themselves need a #1 receiver?

They used the 8th pick on Tavon last year.... you'd have them go W?R again in the 1st? I say they would trade out and get a w/r in the 2nd/3rd.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They used the 8th pick on Tavon last year.... you'd have them go W?R again in the 1st? I say they would trade out and get a w/r in the 2nd/3rd.

Yes, cuz Austin's ceiling is a Wes Welker type slot.... If Lee was available and they believe he could be a top receiver in the league Id take him

The only players that I feel comfortable taking from Texas Tech are short, shifty receivers, with a lot of grit and football intelligence. Amaro isn't short, but maybe he's gritty enough to overcome that.

I could definitely live with Amaro at #18 and even Ebron. Only if the top 3 wide outs are off the boar already.

Ehh, not sure I like the idea of passing up the better talent just so you don't draft the same position two years in a row. If St. Louis needs a receiver, they'll probably just stay pat.  They can become the new Matt Millen.

He looks very good. With our plethora of mid round picks i think he'd be great depth for us. Any idea where he is projected to go?

Late round but I've been reading that he been dominating the practices all week and now has had a good game. Bee an interesting guy to keep an eye on. 

Yes, cuz Austin's ceiling is a Wes Welker type slot.... If Lee was available and they believe he could be a top receiver in the league Id take him

Brian Quick 2nd rd. 33rd overall 2012;

Austin Pettis 3rd rd. 78th overall 2011;

Givens 4th rd. 96th overall 2011;

Stedman Bailey 4th rd. 92nd overall 2013;

Tavon Austin 8th overall 2013

How many draft picks are you going to use on WR's. I think there are other areas of need and they need to let these kids get playing time.

photo-thumb-8327.gif?_r=1340763538

BroadwayJoe12 said

"Ehh, not sure I like the idea of passing up the better talent just so you don't draft the same position two years in a row. If St. Louis needs a receiver, they'll probably just stay pat.  They can become the new Matt Millen."

the WR need can be serviced in FA, and they really don't have too many picks to make the roster. the roster sux. 

Agreed. 11 or 12 picks(five being 6th & 7th rd picks used on ST players) on a talent starved team isn't much... we're not the 49'ers. We've got 5/6  picks in the 1st 4 rounds where the heavy talent lies. I'm not wasting a 3rd on a W/R who's not light years ahead of the 2nd tier receivers. Watkins is the only guy fitting that description, and he'll cost us our whole draft to move up that far.

Agreed. 11 or 12 picks(five being 6th & 7th rd picks used on ST players) on a talent starved team isn't much... we're not the 49'ers. We've got 5/6  picks in the 1st 4 rounds where the heavy talent lies. I'm not wasting a 3rd on a W/R who's not light years ahead of the 2nd tier receivers. Watkins is the only guy fitting that description, and he'll cost us our whole draft to move up that far.

Marqise Lee might very well be light years ahead of the second tier guys, he's that good. Sure, I love Cooks and Robinson as much as the next guy, but if it takes our own 3rd rounder to get him, it's a move we should make.  If you think Lee, and I do, can be a consistent 80 catch 1000 yard receiver, spending an additional 3rd to get him ain't no thang.

Marqise Lee might very well be light years ahead of the second tier guys, he's that good. Sure, I love Cooks and Robinson as much as the next guy, but if it takes our own 3rd rounder to get him, it's a move we should make.  If you think Lee, and I do, can be a consistent 80 catch 1000 yard receiver, spending an additional 3rd to get him ain't no thang.

So if Matthews, Cooks and Robinson are 60 catch 800 yard talent, do you pass on a potential OLB or S for 20 catches 200 yards?

It could be considering that's were I'm imagining Jimmy Garoppolo gets drafted. Did you watch the East-West shrine game today? He looked great, amazing release, Jets need to draft him. I'd rather take one of the top tight ends over trading up for a receiver who is known to have drop problems.

You have 6 WRs and only 2 CBs in the first round. Not sure about that. 5 QBs?

Nobody's watching the Shrine Game? Fine, adios. 

Garoppolo looked great in that game. Problem is he's also playing in the senior bowl on the team the Jaguars head coach is coaching. But he's with Carr so I can see them falling in love with Carr and taking him at 3.

Matthews night not even be the first OT taken when it's all said and done.

Who knows?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  But one of their real needs is on the OL and since Bradford is in place the smart move is to help keep him upright rather than burning a top pick and starting over with Bridgewater -- still leaving the OT hole unfilled.  I just don't see it happening unless they decide to move Bradford, which would be a shocker. 

Who knows?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  But one of their real needs is on the OL and since Bradford is in place the smart move is to help keep him upright rather than burning a top pick and starting over with Bridgewater -- still leaving the OT hole unfilled.  I just don't see it happening unless they decide to move Bradford, which would be a shocker. 

I imagine them trading down if they can. If not I imagine them taking Watkins or maybe even Clowney

I imagine them trading down if they can. If not I imagine them taking Watkins or maybe even Clowney

They are NOT taking a WR with the 1st rd pick. They'll trade back before doing that. OL, CB are their biggest need. WR is near the bottom.

They are NOT taking a WR with the 1st rd pick. They'll trade back before doing that. OL, CB are their biggest need. WR is near the bottom.

Although, I thought the same thing last year with the Jets and DLmen. I guess it all depends on them adhering to BAP or drafting for Need

So if Matthews, Cooks and Robinson are 60 catch 800 yard talent, do you pass on a potential OLB or S for 20 catches 200 yards?

Yes, because by 1000 I didn't mean there was some sort of magical ceiling cap on his total yardage. That could easily be 1300 yards. You don't give up a Tory Holt/Marvin Harrison just to get some JAG safety.

I just personally think that highly of Lee and think he's the best receiver in this class. Sammy will go number one because of his most recent season combined with his freshman year and deservedly so, but I just like Lee being the best.

All 3 are big needs. Take the BPNA with the first two picks.

TE is also a need but I can see then waiting on that but it all depends on who gets resigned and FA.

Part of me sees the Jets going to TC with Smith-Sanchez-Simms

I can't allow myself to believe that Idzik would go into next season with the chambers empty like that. GMs get five years to get the team into contention usually. If Geno implodes to the point where Sanchez is back playing, he'd essentially be lacing up his own noose.

the WR need can be serviced in FA, and they really don't have too many picks to make the roster. the roster sux.

I just can't see how they convince any decent WR to come here without throwing wayyyyyy above market value at them. To play with Geno? For Rex?

It could be considering that's were I'm imagining Jimmy Garoppolo gets drafted. Did you watch the East-West shrine game today? He looked great, amazing release, Jets need to draft him. I'd rather take one of the top tight ends over trading up for a receiver who is known to have drop problems.

There are ten Jimmy Garopollo's every year. Small school, decent arm, shows up to these post-season practices where Twitter scouts jerk off at the idea of identifying a franchise QB that goes in the third round. Then those dudes get drafted and never play.

Who knows? Maybe yes, maybe no. But one of their real needs is on the OL and since Bradford is in place the smart move is to help keep him upright rather than burning a top pick and starting over with Bridgewater -- still leaving the OT hole unfilled. I just don't see it happening unless they decide to move Bradford, which would be a shocker.

Bradford was the last HUGE money first overall picks, and he's owed a ton this year ($14m iirc). The Rams have to decide whether or not to extend him after this season. I picked Bridgewater there because I think Fisher will want to cover his bases in the event that Bradford gets hurt again, or continues to be mediocre. Best case scenario: Bradford stays healthy and finally becomes a good, consistent QB, then you turn around and trade Bridgewater at some point. Worst case scenario: Bradford stinks/gets hurt and you plug Bridgewater in.

I just can't see how they convince any decent WR to come here without throwing wayyyyyy above market value at them. To play with Geno? For Rex?

Yeah, unfortunately, I think you're right in this matter. The big 4 FA W/R's (Decker. Tate, Cooper & Sanders) will have their choice of teams. I think the next level of FA's (Maclin, Nicks, Jones, Britt) might be our best shot for an upgrade.

We can only hope Tate and Idzik have a good relationship, or Marty can convince Maclin to come to NY over KC and Big Andy. Won't have to move too far.

Yeah, unfortunately, I think you're right in this matter. The big 4 FA W/R's (Decker. Tate, Cooper & Sanders) will have their choice of teams. I think the next level of FA's (Maclin, Nicks, Jones, Britt) might be our best shot for an upgrade.

We can only hope Tate and Idzik have a good relationship, or Marty can convince Maclin to come to NY over KC and Big Andy. Won't have to move too far.

The WR market will get picked clean pretty quick, IMO. The Bears, Colts, Packers, and Dolphins (no state tax) all have tons of cap space, and they all have significantly better offenses than we do. Throw in the Pats, Lions, and Cardinals who all have heavy need at WR, and I think it'll be tough to compete for talent in that market.

The WR market will get picked clean pretty quick, IMO. The Bears, Colts, Packers, and Dolphins (no state tax) all have tons of cap space, and they all have significantly better offenses than we do. Throw in the Pats, Lions, and Cardinals who all have heavy need at WR, and I think it'll be tough to compete for talent in that market.

I wonder if there are any potential gems in the CFL ranks? As MT used to say.... Turn over every rock!

The Jets' biggest need, by far, is at the receiver/TE positions. Kerley and Cumberland are nice players, but should really be role players. And even if the Jets spend heavily in free agency at the position, the players available don't have the ceiling that the top three WRs in this draft potentially have - and wherever those guys get drafted, they'll cost significantly less against the cap than the Deckers and Tates of the world.

If the difference between getting a potential true #1 type WR or a starting TE is a third round pick, in a year where you have up to a dozen picks and a ton of free agent money, you spend the pick.

Yeah, unfortunately, I think you're right in this matter. The big 4 FA W/R's (Decker. Tate, Cooper & Sanders) will have their choice of teams. I think the next level of FA's (Maclin, Nicks, Jones, Britt) might be our best shot for an upgrade.

The Jets have a lot of money to spend, and can get into a bidding war for the player they really want. Is Idzik a bidding war kinda guy? That remains to be seen. I suspect that he'll sit on his hands for a day or two, let the market frenzy pass, then dive in. The Jets really need to find two starting WRs this offseason, and even in a best case scenario, they're not finding a #1 in free agency.

They'll get a WR in free agency, though. A starter. They have to. If they fail to do that, their need at the position will be so obvious in the draft that teams will maneuver around them if they also covet a WR (see: Austin, Tavon).

The Jets' biggest need, by far, is at the receiver/TE positions. Kerley and Cumberland are nice players, but should really be role players. And even if the Jets spend heavily in free agency at the position, the players available don't have the ceiling that the top three WRs in this draft potentially have - and wherever those guys get drafted, they'll cost significantly less against the cap than the Deckers and Tates of the world.

If the difference between getting a potential true #1 type WR or a starting TE is a third round pick, in a year where you have up to a dozen picks and a ton of free agent money, you spend the pick.

The Jets have a lot of money to spend, and can get into a bidding war for the player they really want. Is Idzik a bidding war kinda guy? That remains to be seen. I suspect that he'll sit on his hands for a day or two, let the market frenzy pass, then dive in. The Jets really need to find two starting WRs this offseason, and even in a best case scenario, they're not finding a #1 in free agency.

They'll get a WR in free agency, though. A starter. They have to. If they fail to do that, their need at the position will be so obvious in the draft that teams will maneuver around them if they also covet a WR (see: Austin, Tavon).

This. +1

There are ten Jimmy Garopollo's every year. Small school, decent arm, shows up to these post-season practices where Twitter scouts jerk off at the idea of identifying a franchise QB that goes in the third round. Then those dudes get drafted and never play.

His release is amazing. Looks pretty good in the pocket to. Didn't watch east west shrine game I take it?

Bradford was the last HUGE money first overall picks, and he's owed a ton this year ($14m iirc). The Rams have to decide whether or not to extend him after this season. I picked Bridgewater there because I think Fisher will want to cover his bases in the event that Bradford gets hurt again, or continues to be mediocre. Best case scenario: Bradford stays healthy and finally becomes a good, consistent QB, then you turn around and trade Bridgewater at some point. Worst case scenario: Bradford stinks/gets hurt and you plug Bridgewater in.

I get your thinking, but I predict they go DE and OT, in no particular order, with their 1st round picks.  

Archived