Jets Don't Figure to Pass on New QB

flgreen

I mentioned Jackson because I like him better than Vick. That's more of an indictment of Vick than a love of Jackson. The fact is that the free agent QB market sucks this year. We'd all like legitimate competition for Geno, it's just difficult to find.

FTR, I'd like to see them draft a Mettenberger or Garoppolo. If they make it to the third round, I think they might.

Yeah don't really get this talk about bringing in a free agent qb, Sanchez is probably the best one out of the bunch and that's saying something.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FA QB market sucks every year.  There are less decent QBs than teams and if you have a decent QB you don't let him hit FA.  At the minimum you trade him for a decent haul.  Two 2nds for Alex Smith?  A 1st and a 2nd for Carson Palmer?  Hell, even in a straight salary dump the Raiders got some late picks for Palmer. 

The FA QB market sucks every year.  There are less decent QBs than teams and if you have a decent QB you don't let him hit FA.  At the minimum you trade him for a decent haul.  Two 2nds for Alex Smith?  A 1st and a 2nd for Carson Palmer?  Hell, even in a straight salary dump the Raiders got some late picks for Palmer. 

And one of those 2nds was way at the top of the round.  No difference in the caliber player you get towards the bottom of round 1.  In that draft, not that much different than a pick in the early 20s probably.  There was no magic dropoff after the 20th-30th pick where the prospects got so much worse, not that it necessarily happens any year.  If you're a good drafter, you'll benefit from there being enough bad players taken ahead of you that KC's pick last year could have netted someone pretty awesome.  And that was HALF the compensation required to get the great Alex Smith from a team that didn't even want him anymore and clearly wanted to be rid of his contract.

So hell yeah in the offseason it's hard to get a veteran QB who's worth anything.

Let's be real here, Jets bring in Jackson and that honestly is the same sh*t they did with Sanchez. Their would be no competition, we need to draft a qb, Mettenberger or Garoppolo, and actually get a legit competition rolling, none of this bring in some crappy backup qb to make it seem like we have a competition going.

neither mettenberger nor garrapolo are legitimate competition for Geno.    Both are developmental players at best and don't provide legitimate competition for Geno.   

Cousins has game experience, a big arm, mobility, and probably more potential than either of the above.    I'd like to see the Jets go into training camp with Cousins, Geno, and Murray as a development QB.    For all of the Garrapalo hype, I'd take Murray ahead of him in a heartbeat.  

neither mettenberger nor garrapolo are legitimate competition for Geno. Both are developmental players at best and don't provide legitimate competition for Geno.

Cousins has game experience, a big arm, mobility, and probably more potential than either of the above. I'd like to see the Jets go into training camp with Cousins, Geno, and Murray as a development QB. For all of the Garrapalo hype, I'd take Murray ahead of him in a heartbeat.

FWIW, Cousins just gave some ugly bible-thumping quotes saying that being gay is a sin, etc. I don't know if this is the right market for him right now.

we get a Vet FA QB and I think we draft a guy we like but who slips to 6/7th round or even a UDFA. I dont see Jets drafting a QB in rounds 1 thru 3..

I don't know that the Jets will take a QB 5-7.   That is the role Simms will play.   The big armed young guy, that may, or may not work out.

Have a feeling they might take one with one of the 3's, depending who is on the board

I don't know that the Jets will take a QB 5-7.   That is the role Simms will play.   The big armed young guy, that may, or may not work out.

Have a feeling they might take one with one of the 3's, depending who is on the board

Could be, I just dont see it. I have 'faith' Idzik has a guy he likes who may have been injured last year and will slip in draft ;)

Could be, I just dont see it. I have 'faith' Idzik has a guy he likes who may have been injured last year and will slip in draft ;)

i think every team should take at least 1 qb in every draft. eagles have followed this model with some success. if a guy develops/emerges before you are ready to hand him the reins, you can trade him for a higher pick.

even if you are set at the position, why not take a late round flier on someone? the potential rewards for hitting the jackpot are incredible.

That might be Mettenberger.  If it is, I really don't see him around long after the 4th.  Actually if they want him IMO they better take in with one of the 3's

i think every team should take at least 1 qb in every draft. eagles have followed this model with some success. if a guy develops/emerges before you are ready to hand him the reins, you can trade him for a higher pick.

even if you are set at the position, why not take a late round flier on someone? the potential rewards for hitting the jackpot are incredible.

I agree 100%. NE did it and moved Cassell (from USC no less) for draft picks, and now they have RYAN MALLETT ready to take over for Brady.

Washington did it, and now have 2 legitimate options in RGIII and Cousins. Philly as you mentioned. Denver has Brock Osweiler ready to take over.

Their are teams out there with THREE legit QB's and we cant get one. sheesh.

That might be Mettenberger.  If it is, I really don't see him around long after the 4th.  Actually if they want him IMO they better take in with one of the 3's

could be..

I think if Renner isnt drafted Jets will pounce on him in 7th or UDFA.. and to a UDFA QB the Jets are attractive landing spot

I agree 100%. NE did it and moved Cassell (from USC no less) for draft picks, and now they have RYAN MALLETT ready to take over for Brady.

Washington did it, and now have 2 legitimate options in RGIII and Cousins. Philly as you mentioned. Denver has Brock Osweiler ready to take over.

Their are teams out there with THREE legit QB's and we cant get one. sheesh.

I think the Jets do that as much as anybody.  It doesn't always work.  Are you happy with the return on investment for Clemens, Sanchez, McElroy and Ainge?  For every Kevin Kolb there are 10 Mike Kafka and Kevin O'Connells.

I think the Jets do that as much as anybody.  It doesn't always work.  Are you happy with the return on investment for Clemens, Sanchez, McElroy and Ainge?  For every Kevin Kolb there are 10 Mike Kafka and Kevin O'Connells.

i advocate it exactly because it is so difficult to find a productive qb. if it was easy, you wouldn't have to increase the odds by selecting one every draft. i am not saying take one in the first round every year.

i advocate it exactly because it is so difficult to find a productive qb. if it was easy, you wouldn't have to increase the odds by selecting one every draft. i am not saying take one in the first round every year.

The problem is, they all suck.  Every team thinks this way, so you are not finding a bargain very often.  Usually you just end up with a useless slug that doesn't even belong on the roster, but you carry him anyway because well... we drafted a project, what do we expect?  I will agree that having a QB (or a backup you like) should never preclude you from taking another one.  Get as many good QBs as you can.  The problem is, at any given time there are probably only around 20 good QBs on earth.

I agree with you that the free agent QB market this year is so scarce that Mark Sanchez will actually be one of the top names on it once he's released, and he will almost certainly be released. They'll use their cap room this year to wipe him completely off the books.

Sanchez needs a change of scenery, and the Jets need him to be gone. So he'll be gone.

Sanchez has a $2M bonus due two weeks into free agency. They need to do something with him before then. I think the only way they'll be able to trade him is if he accepts a massive cut in pay for 2014. If a team can secure him for less money than they think he might cost in a potential bidding war (I know how that sounds), they might pony up a pick. But it has to be done before that bonus is paid.

Such a move would work for Sanchez if it keeps the remainder of his contract intact. If he performs well this year, he'll be in position to make a lot more money going forward with that deal in place.

Everyone knows Sanchez had bad talent to work with except Jets fans . Sanchez will get another shot based on that alone. He also regressed after year 2 when he cut down on his turnovers from year 1. poor coaching could also play a role. The only year he really had a very solid offense around him was year 2 and we put up a pretty good record and he played well in the playoffs. What this organization did in year three with the ignorance of the offensive line and bringing in thug after thug was totally inexcusable and year 4 was the biggest joke I have ever seen in all my years following the Jets right up there with Joe Waltons first season after we went to the AFCCG under Micheals

If you read my post, it specifically says LEGIT QB's, like Mallett, Cassell, Cousins, Osweiler etc. The guys you mention have QBR's equal to their wunderlic scores, and are about as close to an NFL QB as you and I.

If you read my post, it specifically says LEGIT QB's, like Mallett, Cassell, Cousins, Osweiler etc. The guys you mention have QBR's equal to their wunderlic scores, and are about as close to an NFL QB as you and I.

You can tell Mallet and Osweiler are legitimate QBs by their 28 total pass attempts in five combined seasons? Do you know what Cassel's QBR was in his 5th year in the league, the season after he left NWE? 5 points lower than Geno's his past year.  Hell, last year was his 8th year in the league and he barely beat out Geno's QBR from his rookie season. 

Cousins had a solid first season, but then fell back to earth this year. I think it's about time you realize that there are a lot of sh*tty QBs out there and not everyone you bring in is going to be an upgrade.

You can tell Mallet and Osweiler are legitimate QBs by their 28 total pass attempts in five combined seasons? Do you know what Cassel's QBR was in his 5th year in the league, the season after he left NWE? 5 points lower than Geno's his past year.  Hell, last year was his 8th year in the league and he barely beat out Geno's QBR from his rookie season. 

Cousins had a solid first season, but then fell back to earth this year. I think it's about time you realize that there are a lot of sh*tty QBs out there and not everyone you bring in is going to be an upgrade.

Would you trade Smith for Mallett, straight up? I would in a heartbeat.

That time was months ago.

The problem is, they all suck.  Every team thinks this way, so you are not finding a bargain very often.  Usually you just end up with a useless slug that doesn't even belong on the roster, but you carry him anyway because well... we drafted a project, what do we expect?  I will agree that having a QB (or a backup you like) should never preclude you from taking another one.  Get as many good QBs as you can.  The problem is, at any given time there are probably only around 20 good QBs on earth.

that is amazing when you think about it. puts into perspective how difficult the position is to play well.

Archived