ware to broncs

jgb

DeMarcus Ware, Denver Broncos agree to deal
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the League writer
  • Published: March 12, 2014 at 02:01 p.m.

John Elway has hooked another big free-agent fish.

The Denver Broncos agreed Wednesday to a deal with pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the negotiations. The deal is for three years and worth $30 million, with $20 million guaranteed, according to Rapoport.

The Dallas Cowboys surprisingly released Ware on Tuesday, prior to the opening of free agency. Ware immediately vaulted to the position of top edge rusher on Around The League's free-agent rankings.

The 31-year-old is coming off an injury-plagued season in which his sack total dipped to a career-low six -- after averaging 15.5 sacks per season prior. But Ware only missed three games.

Elway is betting that last season was an aberration, not an indication that the aging defender has hit the back nine of his career.

The addition of Ware followed Tuesday's signings of tough-hitting safety T.J. Ward and lockdown corner Aqib Talib. The remade defense will be intriguing. Coupling Ware with Von Miller gives the Broncos the best pass-rushing duo in the NFL.

There are concerns with each of these defenders. Ward has coverage limitations. Talib's hip has been a chronic problem. And Ware is on the wrong side of 30.

However, Elway knows his window to win with Peyton Manning won't be open forever, and he'll worry about salary-cap issues down the road.

Early in free agency, we are once again reminded that Elway the recruiter is a master closer.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333340/article/demarcus-ware-denver-broncos-strike-deal

Broncos agreed to terms with DE DeMarcus Ware, formerly of the Cowboys, on a three-year, $30 million contract.

Throwing the post-Peyton Manning years to the wind, the Broncos are shelling out $20 million guaranteed for the former Cowboy. With Ware paired with Von Miller, the Broncos now have one of the league's fiercest pass-rush duos. Going on 32, Ware's play slipped in 2013, but not to the degree some believe. His six sacks weren't indicative of the pass-rushing heat he generated, often on one leg. The Cowboys were hopeful of a reunion, but badly miscalculated Ware's value on the open market. Owner Jerry Jones' salary-cap incompetence means one of the greatest players in franchise history will now chase a ring elsewhere.

Wow.

This year Muhammad Wilkerson had 10.5  thank you again for playing

From your 3-4 defensive end. I'd bet big money that won't happen again. An elite Pass Rusher at OLB is something we've never seen in this Jets defense under Rex. It would've been an awesome signing. #Izdikasleepatthewheel

The big discount's start on day 3. Don't fret my friend.

I just hate the idea of drafting a pass-rusher.  They seem to disappoint more than the other way around.  I'd rather sign a guy who I've seen play on Sundays than take a gamble in the draft.  

Say, how's the Dion Jordan trade coming along?

From your 3-4 defensive end. I'd bet big money that won't happen again. An elite Pass Rusher at OLB is something we've never seen in this Jets defense under Rex. It would've been an awesome signing. #Izdikasleepatthewheel

At $10 m a year it doesnt do us any good, and secondly I love your argument changing from "who gets double digit sacks" to "well that guy doesn't count"  dope

I just hate the idea of drafting a pass-rusher.  They seem to disappoint more than the other way around.  I'd rather sign a guy who I've seen play on Sundays than take a gamble in the draft.  

Say, how's the Dion Jordan trade coming along?

Dumb dolphins drafted a 3-4 OLB for a 4-3. Plus we already had Wake and Vernon came on last year with double digit sacks.

At $10 m a year it doesnt do us any good, and secondly I love your argument changing from "who gets double digit sacks" to "well that guy doesn't count"  dope

didn't say he didn't count. I said it uncommon to get high sack numbers from your 3-4 defensive end. It's usually the OLB putting on the pressure.

didn't say he didn't count. I said it uncommon to get high sack numbers from your 3-4 defensive end. It's usually the OLB putting on the pressure.

They're 3-4 in name only

When you had the best pair of corners in the NFL for two years you can get away with sub-average pressure.

Maybe now they address OLB especially if Barr falls to us.

Regardless, you totally changed your position in the span of two comments 

Dumb dolphins drafted a 3-4 OLB for a 4-3. Plus we already had Wake and Vernon came on last year with double digit sacks.

And your team had a whopping 1 more sack than the Jets, who if you didnt know, knocked the Dolphags out of the playoffs on the last game of the season.

They're 3-4 in name only

When you had the best pair of corners in the NFL for two years you can get away with sub-average pressure.

Maybe now they address OLB especially if Barr falls to us.

Regardless, you totally changed your position in the span of two comments 

No position was changed. It's common knowledge the Jets have been searching for that Elite pass rusher at OLB for Rex's scheme since he's gotten there. Pace, Gholston, Coples. Hell you guys thought you might have found a diamond in the rough with Maybin lol

And your team had a whopping 1 more sack than the Jets, who if you didnt know, knocked the Dolphags out of the playoffs on the last game of the season.

Jif, It's really unfair to take out your frustrations with Izdik on me. I'm rooting for ya bud. What he is doing to the fans is not right! I may be a fan of a rival team but we're all fans bro! We want excitement! I want some breaking news!

Jif, It's really unfair to take out your frustrations with Izdik on me. I'm rooting for ya bud. What he is doing to the fans is not right! I may be a fan of a rival team but we're all fans bro! We want excitement! I want some breaking news!

You're the one bent out of shape about the Jets 24hrs into FA, sweetheart.  Not me.

Maybe that last game of the season made you switch alliances? 

LOL. Whens the last time you a pass rusher get double digit sacks? Maybe Pace had a one fluke year. Probably not since the Abraham days. Ware would've been a massive upgrade.

No position was changed. It's common knowledge the Jets have been searching for that Elite pass rusher at OLB for Rex's scheme since he's gotten there. Pace, Gholston, Coples. Hell you guys thought you might have found a diamond in the rough with Maybin lol

:rl:

Wow that's a lot of money. Broncos all in for 2014.

Aren't most teams?   They just lost the super bowl and Manning has another 1-3 years left.    Most teams don't land QBs like Luck a year after Manning is injured.   So when you have that franchise guy, you kind of go for it.   The last time the Broncos really mattered was when Elway was QB. So I'd say you do go all in for as long as you can and worry about rebuilding after you win.

The difference between Elway and the Pats & BB is that BB thinks he's smarter than everybody else and can use practice squad players to win.  It's worked during the regular season and in a bad division, but they haven't won a super bowl in a decade because they  think they are smarter than everybody else and keep letting talent leave.

Yeah, the guy they picked up off the scrap heap had 3x as many sacks as the guy your team traded up for last year lol

We need to spend on the o-line. #fingerscrosseforincognito

Wow that's a lot of money. Broncos all in for 2014.

this is what teams that contend should do. Ware made much more sense for the Broncos then he did for the Jets. Now you can compare what smart teams do when they are close compared to what the Jets did with their bargain basement bullsh*t in 2011 and that idiot Tanny.

I had a feeling Idzik would not be spending out of control to better a team with so many holes. It will probably be different when the Jets Improve over the next few years and need to fill holes to become a viable SB contender rather than just a team looking to get back in the playffs.

Archived