cro a gonner

eboozer

You're not a chronic whiner, you're a perpetual one.

And there you are,

Making it up but you're sure that it is a star,

And boy you'll see

It's an illusion shining down in front of me,

And then you'll say

Even in time we shall control the day,

When what you'll see

Deep inside the day's controlling you and me.

And one peculiar point I see,

As one of many ones of me.

As truth is gathered, I rearrange,

Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,

Perpetual change.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wrong. He was already offered the Talib deal and turned it down.

But you say we should offer him less than the amount he turned down...and make it a 1 year deal...for a team like the 2014 Jets who aren't in superbowl-or-bust mode...

Compelling.

Seriously, you wanted the Jets to re-sign Cromartie? Or do you just want them to burn the cap space for the sake of doing so?

Before the Cardinals contract numbers get released, what do you think he's worth to the Jets? What contract? (how many years, how much per year, how much guaranteed). I'm curious.

They should just sign here cheap and make pro bowl. That is the strategy of all the armchair gms here

But you say we should offer him less than the amount he turned down...and make it a 1 year deal...for a team like the 2014 Jets who aren't in superbowl-or-bust mode...

Compelling.

Seriously, you wanted the Jets to re-sign Cromartie? Or do you just want them to burn the cap space for the sake of doing so?

Before the Cardinals contract numbers get released, what do you think he's worth to the Jets? What contract? (how many years, how much per year, how much guaranteed).  I'm curious.

I thought there was a deal on the table for drc and then took the deal off of the table after they signed talib?

It's actually a good strategy when you think about it.

Reminds me of the old joke about the physicist, chemist and economist stranded on a desert island when a can of soup washes ashore. The chemist and physicist argue for awhile on whether they should build a machine out of coconuts to open it or create a battery out of seawater to melt it open when the economist says "come on guys, all we need to do is assume a can opener"

Compelling.

I was a little low in my salary offer, however, as a GM, you're always looking to pay less than market value. His camp may be getting nervous that all the big CB contracts have already been given out. I could see going to $8.5 - $9 mil on a 4 yr. deal.... but if he's already been contemplating retirement, why would you do a LT deal? Maybe you frontload the 1st 2 years in case his play tails off?

What would Sperm Edwards offer him based on his abilities, age, market value and intangibles(retirement talk, running out of options for big $, etc.)

1. Darrelle Revis (Signed one-year, $12M deal with NE)

2. Brent Grimes (Re-signed four-year, $32M deal with MIA)

3. Aqib Talib (Signed six-year, $57M deal with DEN)

4. Alterraun Verner (Signed four-year, $25.5M deal with TB)

5. Vontae Davis (Re-signed four-year, $39M deal with IND)

6. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

7. Sam Shields (Re-signed four-year, $39M deal with GB)

I was a little low in my salary offer, however, as a GM, you're always looking to pay less than market value. His camp may be getting nervous that all the big CB contracts have already been given out. I could see going to $8.5 - $9 mil on a 4 yr. deal.... but if he's already been contemplating retirement, why would you do a LT deal? Maybe you frontload the 1st 2 years in case his play tails off?

What would Sperm Edwards offer him based on his abilities, age, market value and intangibles(retirement talk, running out of options for big $, etc.)

1. Darrelle Revis (Signed one-year, $12M deal with NE)

2. Brent Grimes (Re-signed four-year, $32M deal with MIA)

3. Aqib Talib (Signed six-year, $57M deal with DEN)

4. Alterraun Verner (Signed four-year, $25.5M deal with TB)

5. Vontae Davis (Re-signed four-year, $39M deal with IND)

6. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

7. Sam Shields (Re-signed four-year, $39M deal with GB)

Nothing. I don't think he's worth anything in the range of what he'd find acceptable.

Draft another CB, sign a veteran for much less to use until the rookie's ready to start, and/or see who is available after the draft or after June 1.  No matter who we use, odds are he'll be better than the 100th ranked CB like Cromartie was last season.

Nothing. I don't think he's worth anything in the range of what he'd find acceptable.

Draft another CB, sign a veteran for much less to use until the rookie's ready to start, and/or see who is available after the draft or after June 1. No matter who we use, odds are he'll be better than the 100th ranked CB like Cromartie was last season.

While I agree that we can do better than Cro for less, those rankings are so arbitrary I would never use them as evidence. They fluctuate way too much year to year to have much meaning. The game is played on the field, not in the computer.

While I agree that we can do better than Cro for less, those rankings are so arbitrary I would never use them as evidence. They fluctuate way too much year to year to have much meaning. The game is played on the field, not in the computer.

100th ranked I'm sure would be bad in any season. He sucked last year.

Draft another CB, sign a veteran for much less to use until the rookie's ready to start, and/or see who is available after the draft or after June 1.  No matter who we use, odds are he'll be better than the 100th ranked CB like Cromartie was last season.

Cap went up 10 mil, you think players and agents don't know that? Corners are becoming more of a premium in a passing league.

Cap went up 10 mil, you think players and agents don't know that? Corners are becoming more of a premium in a passing league.

Corners aren't more of a premium than last year or the year before or the year before.  

After watching Cromartie last season, as well as Rodgers-Cromartie in any season he's not playing for a new contract, there isn't necessarily a correlation between paying big money and getting big dividends.

Draft a CB.  What's the point of having a wealth of draft picks if the strategy is to fill every hole in FA prior to that?  The team's roster isn't a wasteland absent of CBs like it was with WRs.

There's spending smart and spending to spend.  Crying over not re-locking up Cro, a 30 year-old CB coming off an awful season, is the latter.

DRC is apparently after crazy money, so I don't think that's a possibility.

I'm very concerned. All of those people who are complaining about people complaining, I wonder how they'll be reacting when we see the our secondary shredded up again this season. Not that I wanted to resign Cro, I didn't. But I swear if we draft another CB high I'll kill babies. 

Corners aren't more of a premium than last year or the year before or the year before.  

After watching Cromartie last season, as well as Rodgers-Cromartie in any season he's not playing for a new contract, there isn't necessarily a correlation between paying big money and getting big dividends.

Draft a CB.  What's the point of having a wealth of draft picks if the strategy is to fill every hole in FA prior to that?  The team's roster isn't a wasteland absent of CBs like it was with WRs.

There's spending smart and spending to spend.  Crying over not re-locking up Cro, a 30 year-old CB coming off an awful season, is the latter.

+1000

agree man

And there's not spending at all.

Let me know when you see a Jets team that has done that, and then further, has settled on that.

Oh no, we didn't throw $5M/year at Brandon Pettigrew! The horror!!  When I thought we were getting him for a few million a year, I was for it.  

Same with Decker. In Feb, when it was rumored it would take $10-11M/year to sign him, I was against it.  Signing him for roughly the same $ as Brian Hartline and other less-accomplished receivers - particularly when we were so desperate at the position - isn't nearly the same thing. 

I think half of more than half of their picks are like round 6-7...

Generally guys that land on the practice squad or get cut. It's not like they have all these picks in rounds 1-3.

Stop making so much sense please.

Cro was always a likable guy in Jet Green especially after he abandoned the Kerry Rhodes style of tackling. When Revis went down, Cro stepped up big time and filled a big part of that gap. With a bum hip he sucked on paper and visually last season despite the ridiculous trip to Hawaii. I'm thinking the hip must be chronic if we wouldn't match the 6 he was offered by Denver. The 2012 Cro was worth every penny of 6 but our evaluators must not give that a chance of recurring. 

Archived