Epic Win

dbatesman

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are rookie, you NEED training camp to perform...w/o training camp, you will have very little time to learn the system and the calls in the backfield. Milliner did not have the confidence at the beginning of the season to be a good starter. You saw his ascendence once he learned the calls and the system. I think he will be fine, we need to figue out who will play opposite of him. Kyle Wilson as an outside CB just plain sucks...he is good in the slot but on the outside he reminds me of Elvis Patterson aka TOAST.

LL

The jets have one of the least skilled rosters in the NFL and no depth, How about that? The Jets wanted to sign JAG extraordinaire Donald Brown which was as moronic as signing a washed up Chris Johnson. But Idzik is the double whammy. He wants to sign the wrong players and can't even get his head out of his ass to sign those guys. 

I believe it's the exact opposite, I think he's specifically going for the right players to fit the scheme. And yeah, it's also one of the youngest so you won't find a whole lot of experience on it. And no, signing donald brown for probably 5 million dollars cheaper than an older chris johnson would probably be also be the opposite of moronic. You probably thought trading for ivory was bad also until you saw him get the carries he never got in NO.

I believe it's the exact opposite, I think he's specifically going for the right players to fit the scheme. And yeah, it's also one of the youngest so you won't find a whole lot of experience on it. And no, signing donald brown for probably 5 million dollars cheaper than an older chris johnson would probably be also be the opposite of moronic. You probably thought trading for ivory was bad also until you saw him get the carries he never got in NO.

I actually liked the Ivory move. (it dwarfed Idzik's hilariously bad preformance in FA last season too)

I actually liked the Ivory move. (it dwarfed Idzik's hilariously bad preformance in FA last season too)

Yeah now you say that because you saw it develop into a good move. Whatever. I'm just very glad unbanadmike is not our GM.

Are you saying that Gacomini is any kind of significant upgrade over Howard? That isn't supported by any facts i've seen.

Upgrade? no. Replacement? yes.

Thanks for making my point for me. Even if I were posit that it's a lateral move from Howard, it still does absolutely nothing to upgrade a flat out BAD roster. 

What happens if we find a beast RT somewhere during this draft. Who'd be easier to bench- Beno or Austin Howard on a new deal? Unless you are in love with Howard's ability idk...

What happens if we find a beast RT somewhere during this draft. Who'd be easier to bench- Beno or Austin Howard on a new deal? Unless you are in love with Howard's ability idk...

Why don't we worry about finding beast players in the draft when that actually happens anywhere other than with a Rex Ryan handpicked DL. OK?

Thanks for making my point for me. Even if I were posit that it's a lateral move from Howard, it still does absolutely nothing to upgrade a flat out BAD roster. 

Regardless, it's a move to make a replacement. People like you and joewilly have been complaining about how we've done 'nothing' this whole offseason, when we haven't even approached april and have made key re-signings and a few FA signing. The fact that you guys are ready to go on a fan strike from Idzik is just mind-boggling. 

Regardless, it's a move to make a replacement. People like you and joewilly have been complaining about how we've done 'nothing' this whole offseason, when we haven't even approached april and have made key re-signings and a few FA signing. The fact that you guys are ready to go on a fan strike from Idzik is just mind-boggling. 

What key re-signings have they made? Nick Ballore? Give me a break. This was a bad roster last season and it hasn't been improved as of today. Thats the bottom line. 

1. According to you and others the Jets had a bottom five roster, yet they would have to be considered a SB contender in order to claim they improved?

2. I don't know that the Jets do or don't have a franchise QB. I like Geno and think he will improve. That's a big part of what this year is going to be about - finding out whether or not Geno can be a franchise QB. 

3. You can draft BPA and fill holes at the same time. Suggesting this isn't possible is downright stupid. 

4. The Achilles heel you refer to should actually get better by removing its worst player (Cromartie) and replacing him with any one of the 6 other guys already on the roster. We also have the draft. None of the CBs available with the exception of Revis, who wanted to play for the Pats, would have been a guaranteed improvement.

5. I approve of our GM not having agents dictate terms to him in negotiation and having the discipline to stick with his plan despite what the moronic media and twitterverse says. 

1. what??? go back and read that one again

2. I was referring to what has been mentioned time and time again on this board which is the silliest thing I have ever heard

3. I never suggested that it couldn't be done. it just gets harder. a lot harder. especially when every other team knows your needs

4. your saying every free agent cb on the market wasn't guaranteed to be a better player than the worst player in the jets secondary? now that's a stretch

5. idzik had a plan. he wasn't as prepared as some of you would like to believe. for whatever reason, he failed to reel in the free agents that he targeted more times than not. positions of need could have been upgraded at reasonable costs thru out free agency leaving the jets will 12 draft picks and few "needs", at the same time, leaving enough money to carry over for next year. idzik stuck with his financial plan and failed at his roster improvement plan.

What key re-signings have they made? Nick Ballore? Give me a break. This was a bad roster last season and it hasn't been improved as of today. Thats the bottom line. 

You must have short-term memory loss if you think Wilson wasn't playing the outside and if you think I'm talking about Nick Ballore. Pace had 10 sacks last year, granted it was mostly because of the other 6 in the box, but it obviously worked and he had a nice year. That signing delayed the need of an OLB for another year or 2. Willie colon? And we still have 12 players to add, regardless if thinking 5-6 high level players is 'fairy dust', even 1 would be an improvement would it not? 

You must have short-term memory loss if you think Wilson wasn't playing the outside and if you think I'm talking about Nick Ballore. Pace had 10 sacks last year, granted it was mostly because of the other 6 in the box, but it obviously worked and he had a nice year. That signing delayed the need of an OLB for another year or 2. Willie colon? And we still have 12 players to add, regardless if thinking 5-6 high level players is 'fairy dust', even 1 would be an improvement would it not? 

Pace lol. Idzik keeping the worst LB corps the NFL together!!!

When we improve this year I wonder what you'll have to complain about next offseason. I guess we'll wait and see

They could improve the roster marginally (which is all we can expect at this point) and still win 7-8 games. Then Idzik and Woody can pat themsevles on the back some more. 

willie colon? average player at best who hasn't finished a season since 2009. 4 seasons in a row he finished injured. serious improvement on one of the most important units on the team. if he didn't spend all his time dicking around and low balling all the cb's, he could have improved the guard position. pure inexperience

Are you saying that Gacomini is any kind of significant upgrade over Howard? That isn't supported by any facts i've seen.

It is supported by at least as many "facts" as those that suggest he's a lateral move at best.  But you haven't seen any "facts" one way or the other.  Even if they did exist, it's clear you didn't see them.

And if he's a lateral move, more or less, I'd be furious if our GM overpaid one by millions of dollars per season and guaranteed he'd be our starting RT for the next 3 years pretty much no matter what.

I really don't understand your assessment of year-to-year improvements.  On the one hand, when it's pointed out that Wilson isn't that bad, you bring up 2012 when he was worse (no matter where he lined up).  Then when it's brought up that Howard was horrid in 2012, you want to look to 2013.   

Are you really that blind that a 99-yard play in 2012 - while Wilson was covering the slot - had a huge impact on his rankings when they get averaged in? So this 99-yard play would not be part of his ranking when lining outside, and would therefore necessarily be ranked higher with this mega-play removed.  His ranking without this play - i.e. when he was lined up outside - would therefore be nowhere near the bottom 10, since he wasn't in the bottom 10 even with that play.

Do you follow this, or do I need to spell it out more plainly?

At RT, there's no doubt the team can upgrade from Breno, but at the money he's being given the team can move on from him after 1 season.  Same thing happens with Howard and the team's locked in with him for a couple more seasons minimum.  Giacomini is not a stud RT.  But at least we didn't pay him like he was a stud in an act of desperation and panic.

is there any doubt that if we'd given Austin Howard $6M/year with $15M or whatever of it guaranteed, that you'd be all over it as totally stupid? But the Raiders - the freaking Raiders - do it, while we get someone who ranked about the same overall in a year he was injured, and you are all over it like it's the epitome of shortsightedness and stupidity.  He was good enough to be the starting RT for the SB champs, whose QB - though far more accurate and just flat-out better - is pretty similar to the Jets' QB.  When this RT was out, their stud RB didn't look quite as studly.  

Really, if you just hate the team this much, no matter what they do, why do you bother?  I mean you know we're not winning a SB this year.  You ought to know Austin Howard is in no way a stud RT, yet your complaint is that we didn't sign him to a stud's contract like the Raiders did? And then you refer to him as an impact player just to trash the team?

I hope there are some things in life you do enjoy.  And I say this in all seriousness.

It is supported by at least as many "facts" as those that suggest he's a lateral move at best.  But you haven't seen any "facts" one way or the other.  Even if they did exist, it's clear you didn't see them.

And if he's a lateral move, more or less, I'd be furious if our GM overpaid one by millions of dollars per season and guaranteed he'd be our starting RT for the next 3 years pretty much no matter what.

I really don't understand your assessment of year-to-year improvements.  On the one hand, when it's pointed out that Wilson isn't that bad, you bring up 2012 when he was worse (no matter where he lined up).  Then when it's brought up that Howard was horrid in 2012, you want to look to 2013.   

Are you really that blind that a 99-yard play in 2012 - while Wilson was covering the slot - had a huge impact on his rankings when they get averaged in? So this 99-yard play would not be part of his ranking when lining outside, and would therefore necessarily be ranked higher with this mega-play removed.  His ranking without this play - i.e. when he was lined up outside - would therefore be nowhere near the bottom 10, since he wasn't in the bottom 10 even with that play.

At RT, there's no doubt the team can upgrade from Breno, but at the money he's being given the team can move on from him after 1 season.  Same thing happens with Howard and the team's locked in with him for a couple more seasons minimum.  Giacomini is not a stud RT.  But at least we didn't pay him like he was a stud in an act of desperation and panic.

is there any doubt that if we'd given Austin Howard $6M/year with $15M or whatever of it guaranteed, that you'd be all over it as totally stupid? But the Raiders - the freaking Raiders - do it, while we get someone who ranked about the same overall in a year he was injured, and you are all over it like it's the epitome of shortsightedness and stupidity.  He was good enough to be the starting RT for the SB champs, whose QB - though far more accurate and just flat-out better - is pretty similar to the Jets' QB.  When this RT was out, their stud RB didn't look quite as studly.  

Really, if you just hate the team this much, no matter what they do, why do you bother?  I mean you know we're not winning a SB this year.  You ought to know Austin Howard is in no way a stud RT, yet your complaint is that we didn't sign him to a stud's contract like the Raiders did? And then you refer to him as an impact player just to trash the team?

I hope there are some things in life you do enjoy.  And I say this in all seriousness.

I don't really follow anything you've written here. I even if I grant you that Howard to Gacomini is a lateral move how does that improve the team at all? The idea that he played on a SB team really means nothing and isn't an argument. When did i call Austin Howard a stud RT? He was a league avg player last year. 

As far as Wilson goes, inside and outside CB are flat out different positions so I'm not sure how his grades from any year since he started to play inside (and he's been a decent inside CB other than you know, giving up the play that ended the Jets season) have any relevancy in viewing him as a starting outside CB which is what he is right now. Thats a disaster for the team. 

The idea that if you aren't happy with the direction the team is going in that you hate the teams makes no sense. if this was 2009 and i was saying the same thing (I was) about the awful moves tannenbaum made all the while being right, does that mean that I'm a terrible fan that hates the team? It's pretty much unarguable that the jets have been run terribly for the vast majority of my lifetime. Why does Idzik deserve the benefit of the doubt?

I really don't understand your hate for howard. ok, maybe hate is the wrong word here. young ot that worked his way up from the practice squad quickly. he has improved from 2012 to last year. was the most consistant olineman the jets had last year. lets put aside that you thought howard got over paid. for arguments sake, just forget about it.. everything that I have read suggests that idzik offered at 5 year 27m contract to howard. I have also read that the 2 sides were a mere $200,000 apart on a 27m 5 year contract. he let him walk over 200 grand? that's disturbing. granted, he thinks he has a back up plan in breno. might work out. might not. breno has some sort of injury history, while howard does not. also not forgetting continuity. is that really worth $200,000?? some say breno is better at run blocking and worse at pass protection. I believe the latter instead of the former. throw in the fact seatlle had decent tight ends and the jets don't have a te that can block worth a damn, and $200,000( which is pennies in the nfl world) doesn't look like over spending to me. also, from what I have read, Oakland can get out of howards contract after 1 or 2 years(cant remember which) and is not the 3 years you have suggested. I might be wrong here, tho

willie colon? average player at best who hasn't finished a season since 2009. 4 seasons in a row he finished injured. serious improvement on one of the most important units on the team. if he didn't spend all his time dicking around and low balling all the cb's, he could have improved the guard position. pure inexperience

The same CBs you're blasting for their 2013 season could improve in 2014.  Ones who did well in 2013 could be bad in 2014 just like some were bad in 2012.

Know who wasn't good in 2012, and using your logic it seems you would have therefore been totally against going with for 2013?

Rodgers-Cromartie

Verner

Talib

Vontae Davis

The 10-best list included Captain Munnerlyn.  Then again, he also was on the 10-worst list the year before that and plays slot where we don't need him.

CB is a dangerous position to award multi-year contracts for, especially when those players who were eligible this year were either coming off horrible seasons (Cromartie) or were 1 year removed from horrible seasons.  Or in DRC's case, "inconsistent" is the nice word they use when the Eagles dump him off a worse-ranked secondary than the 2013 Jets had.

Look, I'm sure one of these guys will prove to have been worth signing long-term (Revis doesn't count since he won't allow himself to be locked up long-term unless it's for $16M/year).  Verner is also an exception of sorts because in the end it seems he wasn't leaving Indianapolis unless we paid him near-Revis money.  Personally I think that's foolish because of his history and because we just drafted a CB #9 in the country who the team doesn't yet think badly of.

I really don't understand your hate for howard. ok, maybe hate is the wrong word here. young ot that worked his way up from the practice squad quickly. he has improved from 2012 to last year. was the most consistant olineman the jets had last year. lets put aside that you thought howard got over paid. for arguments sake, just forget about it.. everything that I have read suggests that idzik offered at 5 year 27m contract to howard. I have also read that the 2 sides were a mere $200,000 apart on a 27m 5 year contract. he let him walk over 200 grand? that's disturbing. granted, he thinks he has a back up plan in breno. might work out. might not. breno has some sort of injury history, while howard does not. also not forgetting continuity. is that really worth $200,000?? some say breno is better at run blocking and worse at pass protection. I believe the latter instead of the former. throw in the fact seatlle had decent tight ends and the jets don't have a te that can block worth a damn, and $200,000( which is pennies in the nfl world) doesn't look like over spending to me. also, from what I have read, Oakland can get out of howards contract after 1 or 2 years(cant remember which) and is not the 3 years you have suggested. I might be wrong here, tho

That was a dumb offer that Idzik made.  There, I criticized the guy.  I also don't like signing Vick.

It's not over a matter of $200K.  It's over millions more of guaranteed money.  At some point you as a GM make your top offer.  If you go higher, then it wasn't your top offer.  Idzik made his, and it's higher than mine would have been for Howard.  Oakland one-upped us and Howard signed it.  What's hard to follow?

And I don't hate Howard.  I think he was badly overpaid.  I was ok bringing him back in the $4M area maximum.  He turned down more than that, so I'm not upset we didn't keep chasing.

The continuity stuff is so overblown I don't know where to start so I won't beyond saying that SB winners swap OLmen in & out every year.

And you hear wrong about Howard's contract.  Sure, they can get out of it the way the Jets could get out of the Faneca contract.  He got paid $7M/year.  We paid him $5.5M or something to play for Arizona to fulfill the balance of his $20M guarantee.  But hey, we "got out" of it.

You are whining about not matching a contract given by the Raiders.  The Raiders, who not only overpaid him, but overpaid him with the intention of playing him at a position he's never played before.  The Raiders who have spent another off-season ensuring they will not win a SB for years to come by eating up gobs of cap space on meh and has-been players.  That is who you're upset about getting one-upped by.  It wasn't Howard's market to the NFL; it was Howard's market to one specific team, and Howard was smart enough to take it.  

That was a dumb offer that Idzik made.  There, I criticized the guy.  I also don't like signing Vick.

It's not over a matter of $200K.  It's over millions more of guaranteed money.  At some point you as a GM make your top offer.  If you go higher, then it wasn't your top offer.  Idzik made his, and it's higher than mine would have been for Howard.  Oakland one-upped us and Howard signed it.  What's hard to follow?

And I don't hate Howard.  I think he was badly overpaid.  I was ok bringing him back in the $4M area maximum.  He turned down more than that, so I'm not upset we didn't keep chasing.

I don't understand how the fact that they look completely incompetent in these negotiations isn't an issue for you. It's the same pattern, a joke upfront office, then nothing, then a last ditch effort and close to market value which always fails. How does that in any way give you confidence that this GM knows what he's doing?

I don't really follow anything you've written here. I even if I grant you that Howard to Gacomini is a lateral move how does that improve the team at all? The idea that he played on a SB team really means nothing and isn't an argument. When did i call Austin Howard a stud RT? He was a league avg player last year. 

As far as Wilson goes, inside and outside CB are flat out different positions so I'm not sure how his grades from any year since he started to play inside (and he's been a decent inside CB other than you know, giving up the play that ended the Jets season) have any relevancy in viewing him as a starting outside CB which is what he is right now. Thats a disaster for the team. 

The idea that if you aren't happy with the direction the team is going in that you hate the teams makes no sense. if this was 2009 and i was saying the same thing (I was) about the awful moves tannenbaum made all the while being right, does that mean that I'm a terrible fan that hates the team? It's pretty much unarguable that the jets have been run terribly for the vast majority of my lifetime. Why does Idzik deserve the benefit of the doubt?

You don't follow?

You're apoplectic over the Jets losing an "impact player" in Howard.  It seems you gauge how good a player is by how much the highest bidder is willing to pay him. 

You're also complaining about not getting better at the position, while your desire was obviously to stay exactly the same at the position by bringing back the same player

If the team makes a lateral move, but does it for $2M/year cheaper, that IS making the team better.  Now you get a $3M stop-gap instead of a $1M stop-gap.  You get a $5M backup QB instead of a $3M backup QB.  Or find a few places to accomplish the same thing, and now you've saved up $6M to upgrade a $2M guard to an $8M guard.

Boyyyyy are you now backtracking on Wilson. First you use a year ranking to say how terrible he was, particularly lining up outside.  Then I bring up a single 99-yard play wrecking his ranking somewhat (as it would to any player), and you basically now say the ranking back doesn't matter because that's not his value "right now" (I boldfaced this part above)? 

I didn't say you were a terrible fan.  I said (in so many words) that if you're this miserable maybe you should find something else to occupy your time.  It's a spectator sport and we're the spectators.  And it's not even a spectator sport right now that you're getting all riled up about.  It's the pre-draft offseason. 

I'm far more ok with the GM not locking us into mistakes than making them just for the sake of doing something.  Someone like Verner would have been good, but when the dust cleared it then came out he wasn't leaving Indy unless someone offered him near $11M/year (which is ridiculous for him).  Pettigrew re-upping with Detroit has people up in arms.  What did you want, to lock ourselves into Brandon Pettigrew at $5M per? People are preaching speed and playmaking on offense and those same people are complaining about not signing Brandon Pettigrew like he's a top-10 TE?

This is the type of inconsistency (or outright hypocrisy) of which I was speaking.  And you did follow me.

I don't understand how the fact that they look completely incompetent in these negotiations isn't an issue for you. It's the same pattern, a joke upfront office, then nothing, then a last ditch effort and close to market value which always fails. How does that in any way give you confidence that this GM knows what he's doing?

They look incompetent now, but not by throwing more guaranteed money than they want to spend at players they don't really want?  Giving 7M per to Howard, or a $11M bonus to DRC would ooze competence? 

Well they look incompetent to you.  Some of us are not unhappy with this plan of paying what you think the value is and not more.  Decker was also supposed to be $10M/year or more.  We "lowballed" him and got him locked up for $7M per.  If we didn't sign him you'd have said it was foolish for even making such an offer.

I'm confident because this is how I want the team built (with the exception of Vick, however much the move may make sense on paper).  I am not nearly as impatient as you are.  Now if he goes on to fail to build during the draft by doing a terrible job year after year in that area, then he should be fired.  I'm sure even he would agree with that.

I have no desire to watch the Jets build a team on expensive contracts to inconsistent players coming off good, contract-type seasons.

Archived