Epic Win

dbatesman

Why? What the hell as Idzik done as Jets GM other than display utter incompetence at every turn?

So, your idea of a good GM is spend all your money on FA's?

I agree we went 8-8 last year and this off season is nothing to brag about.

We went 8-8 when all of the 'experts' said we wouldn't win 5 games. This YOUNG team is on the rise, and it's going to improve with more YOUNG players that don't paralyze our salary cap. 

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, spending this year is bad, spending next year is good?

the brewsters millions thing you keep bringing up is silly.  can we wait until after the mini draft t see where he stands ?  its not even april

We went 8-8 when all of the 'experts' said we wouldn't win 5 games. This YOUNG team is on the rise, and it's going to improve with more YOUNG players that don't paralyze our salary cap. 

We are supposedly $32 million under the cap we finished last season 8-8 there's a lot of money to improve the roster and give the fans what they want and pay for.

We are supposedly $32 million under the cap we finished last season 8-8 there's a lot of money to improve the roster and give the fans what they want and pay for.

not all fans want it built by chasing big names with big deals.  its not even april yet.  can we judge the roster in august ?

And the Seahawks won the super bowl the year after Idzik left, coincidence?  FWIW, I'm beginning to think Joewilly is actually Mehta, save the punctuation.

Prior to the Seahawks, Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl the year Idzik left the team. Obviously, the key to success with having John on your payroll is getting him to move on.

And signing 29 year olds to 8-9 million dollar contracts will do nothing but hurt us, sign the young FA's after their rookie contract if anything. Depth is what makes football teams great, not overpaying FAs

the brewsters millions thing you keep bringing up is silly.  can we wait until after the mini draft t see where he stands ?  its not even april

When is the mini-draft, this year or next year? I thought that was what we were discussing.

You know what' sillier? Thinking it's a great idea to not improve your team until you find the next great QB.

The interesting thing to me is that we had the same conversations about Tannenbaum.  He only drafted character and did not go after FAs with character concerns.  In 2007 it was all we heard. he was too afraid of risks, too cap concious.  Then he got Favre and became Nick the Greek

true.  but in 2007 Tannenbaum was Mangini's sock puppet.  Then Eric got on the wrong side of Woody.  Or maybe the sock puppet threw him under the bus.

And signing 29 year olds to 8-9 million dollar contracts will do nothing but hurt us, sign the young FA's after their rookie contract if anything. Depth is what makes football teams great, not overpaying FAs

Every team needs a few veteran players. Who said anything about overpaying anyone?

true.  but in 2007 Tannenbaum was Mangini's sock puppet.  Then Eric got on the wrong side of Woody.  Or maybe the sock puppet threw him under the bus.

Interesting.  I always hear how Mangini was good at talent evaluation, but not a good coach, but that 2007 team was probably the worst in the Woody era.  2005 was bad, but mostly due to injury.

When is the mini-draft, this year or next year? I thought that was what we were discussing.

You know what' sillier? Thinking it's a great idea to not improve your team until you find the next great QB.

I think Tanny was referring to cut down day when he mentioned mini-draft.  Now everybody seems to mean June 1 cuts, though I am not sure that is even a thing anymore.  We might as well start mentioning it now because the panic is starting early this year.  Just as Desean Jackson and Chris Johnson are becoming available now, more guys will be popping up that teams can't afford.  The idea that all the talent is gone is laughable and our roster is not as devoid of talent as these people make it out. How will we ever replace the 102 ranked CB and Santonio Holmes 23 catches?!??!

he has signed 3 starters.  I never said don't improve the team.  I pointed out idzik has said he is trying to maintain cap flexibility.  you think the off season is over, and he's screwed for next year and will have to give kerley 5/50 because of the 4 year minimum

I don't

he has signed 3 starters.  I never said don't improve the team.  I pointed out idzik has said he is trying to maintain cap flexibility.  you think the off season is over, and he's screwed for next year and will have to give kerley 5/50 because of the 4 year minimum

I don't

You could very well be right. I'm a little concerned and wonder how he is going to get out of paying people at some point. I'm not in they hysteria brigade, believe me.

My idea of a good GM is improving the team. Give me a frigging break with that young team bullsh*t. That's the refuge of losers. This team hasn't improved NEARLY enough this offseason and winning 8 games last season because of a few penalties when you have 5 win talent means absolutely nothing for what they are going to do next year. They still have the lowest talent level on O of just about every team in the NFL and the D has clearly regressed since last year.  

My idea of a good GM is improving the team. Give me a frigging break with that young team bullsh*t. That's the refuge of losers. This team hasn't improved NEARLY enough this offseason and winning 8 games last season because of a few penalties when you have 5 win talent means absolutely nothing for what they are going to do next year. They still have the lowest talent level on O of just about every team in the NFL and the D has clearly regressed since last year.  

How?  Guaranteed ("clear") sophmore slump?  I would expect 2nd (Milliner, Richardson) and 3rd (Coples, Davis, Harrison, Allen) year players to improve.  They lost Cromartie.  Ooooh, the horror.  The only players who would be deteriorating because of age are Pace (coming off one of his best seasons) and Landry. They will probably add some talent in the draft where is the clear regression?  You are right in your element with Legion of Moan.

I know it's frustrating for ALL of us, watching all these players go unsigned by this GM when he has 30 million in cap room but in this particular case I keep equating DeSean Jackson to the player who he most seemed to resemble and who went off last year as the big FA WR name. That guy is/was Mike Wallace a gigantic disappointment for Miami who are already trying to unload him after one crappy season. 

Who knows maybe we're gonna find out that it's actually Woody Johnson who doesn't want to let loose the cash for ANY of these players. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and find out sometime this year that he wants to sell the team. Nah...we couldn't get THAT lucky. Who knows...maybe the Shadow (Manish Mehta) knows...

I miss the good ol Hess days...not!!!

How?  Guaranteed ("clear") sophmore slump?  I would expect 2nd (Milliner, Richardson) and 3rd (Coples, Davis, Harrison, Allen) year players to improve.  They lost Cromartie.  Ooooh, the horror.  The only players who would be deteriorating because of age are Pace (coming off one of his best seasons) and Landry. They will probably add some talent in the draft where is the clear regression?  You are right in your element with Legion of Moan.

They will PROBABLY add some talent in the draft? Thats your plan for improving one of the worst rosters in the NFL with 50M of cap room? Give me a friggin break. 

Penalties were as much part of the NFL as scoring a TD. Last I remembered, Jets were the most penalized team in the NFL at one point, so your point just back fired on u. Lousy lousy excuse there, son. And the D regressed because we lost Cromartie. The sky must be falling, cuz Cromartie was ranked like 102nd out of 110 or so CBs. So we lost a historically terrible CB (due to injuries or whatever) and all of a sudden we regressed? Its addition by subtraction. Get a clue.

Penalties were as much part of the NFL as scoring a TD. Last I remembered, Jets were the most penalized team in the NFL at one point, so your point just back fired on u. Lousy lousy excuse there, son. And the D regressed because we lost Cromartie. The sky must be falling, cuz Cromartie was ranked like 102nd out of 110 or so CBs. So we lost a historically terrible CB (due to injuries or whatever) and all of a sudden we regressed? Its addition by subtraction. Get a clue.

The Jets won two games DIRECTLY resulting from penalties. If you want to fool yourself into thinking this is a good roster, good for you. You'd fit right in with the fools in the Jets FO. Since when did I say letting cromarte walk was a disaster? What was a disaster was the fool GM COMPLETELY having no idea of the FA market and whiffing over and over again in bringing in a CB here who can play opposite MIlliner, who they are relying on wishful thinking to even get good production out of. 

The Jets won two games DIRECTLY resulting from penalties. If you want to fool yourself into thinking this is a good roster, good for you. You'd fit right in with the fools in the Jets FO. Since when did I say letting cromarte walk was a disaster? What was a disaster was the fool GM COMPLETELY having no idea of the FA market and whiffing over and over again in bringing in a CB here who can play opposite MIlliner, who they are relying on wishful thinking to even get good production out of. 

U said the D regressed. The only player on D we lost this yr was Cro. If losing D wasn't a disaster in your mind, why are you worried if the Jets "whiffed over and over again in bringin in a CB here who can play opposite MIlliner, who they are relying on wishful thinking to even get good production out of."? Could u be any more contradicting?

They will PROBABLY add some talent in the draft? Thats your plan for improving one of the worst rosters in the NFL with 50M of cap room? Give me a friggin break. 

You said the defense has clearly regressed.  That is a stupid statement even with the roster as currently constructed.  I don't know how you people change your diapers fast enough to leave the house.

You could very well be right. I'm a little concerned and wonder how he is going to get out of paying people at some point. I'm not in they hysteria brigade, believe me.

he does seem overly deliberate.  I would worry about his recruiting, but that is something rex probably handles anyway.  He has missed on guys he wanted, there is no getting around that, it's just sometimes its better to miss than just go out and "O'Donnell" a guy and pay him 20% over market value just to land him

we got favre and vinny late in the off season, so there will be many opportunities to spend money

He's making smart decisions. He's not signing big names because they're big names. Signing players that fit the scheme. Look what happens when you build your team through free agency.....Oakland. Draft players and develop them. That's what the good teams do.

He's making smart decisions. He's not signing big names because they're big names. Signing players that fit the scheme. Look what happens when you build your team through free agency.....Oakland. Draft players and develop them. That's what the good teams do.

Wait, you're saying the key to success is drafting awesome players? What is Oakland doing with their draft picks? Do they know about this?

Wait, you're saying the key to success is drafting awesome players? What is Oakland doing with their draft picks? Do they know about this?

The key to success is not blowing through cap space signing huge FA contracts......

he is making smart descisions? its more like he is overwhelmed

What's your idea of a huge contract?

It's relative, what i'm saying is that you can't sign aging FA and expect long term success. Of course there are good FA signings that make sense. And there are exceptions like Denver. But for now I don't see the problem with developing young talent. There's nothing wrong with signing vets in certain spots, but when the average age of your team is 30 years and old and you have no cap space left, there's no longevity. That's exactly what happened to us in 2009-2010. Build your team through the draft.

It's relative, what i'm saying is that you can't sign aging FA and expect long term success. Of course there are good FA signings that make sense. And there are exceptions like Denver. But for now I don't see the problem with developing young talent. There's nothing wrong with signing vets in certain spots, but when the average age of your team is 30 years and old and you have no cap space left, there's no longevity. That's exactly what happened to us in 2009-2010. Build your team through the draft.

the 3-5 year rebuild. gotta love it.

Archived