Dolphins remain a Clown Shoes organization

Jetsfan80

Do you think the absence of Jeff Ireland meant the end of Miami's problems?  Think again. 

Not only was the Ju'Wuan James selection one of the biggest head-scratchers of the entire draft, the Dolphins also got fleeced in a deal with, of all franchises, the RAIDERS, in an under-the-radar terrible decision.  Based on value, the deal was deemed the 5th worst trade of the draft by Bill Barnwell:

http://grantland.com/features/nfl-draft-michael-sam-gay-trades/

5. Miami-Oakland

Miami sent: 81st, 116th overall picks
Oakland sent: 67th overall pick

Oakland got: 131 percent of trade value

This is one of those deals that gets lost in the shuffle because it doesn’t involve a key player or an obviously bad swap, but it’s trading too much for a minor upgrade. The difference between 67 and 81, per Stuart’s model, is roughly equivalent to the 194th overall pick, a late sixth-round selection. The Dolphins instead sent a pick from the middle of the fourth round to move up and draft North Dakota State tackle Billy Turner. In a draft that was so deep in tackles, could a small-school player like Turner have been so valuable that it was worth giving up a fourth-round pick?

The Bills having Sammy annoys me...but it seems like both them and the Dolphins have zero long term plan.

Elite WR talents simply haven't won rings since Jerry Rice.  Seattle's rag-tag group of WR's reinforced that.  It's a sexy pick but for what they gave up to get him its not a good one.  If EJ Manuel isn't the real deal, then they just gave up a top 5 or 10 pick in next year's draft that they could have used to get a real QB.  Or, if EJ is the goods, a top mid-1st round pick to continue to build the rest of their roster. 

At best, its an aggressive move that nets them a playoff victory or 2.  At worst, it's a horrifically bad decision that should rightfully get a lot of people fired.  There just wasn't enough upside to that decision to make it worthwhile.  He has to be the next Megatron for it to make any sense (and even then, how many playoff games has Calvin won?)

But even the Bills aren't as bad as the Dolphins.  Only the Jaguars are a worse organization.

Not a big issue IMO.  An organization has to decide amongst themselves just how badly they want a particular player.  If you want a guy bad enough, and you decide it's worth giving up what the trading partner wants, then you'd be an idiot not to make the deal based on a draft chart.  Obviously I hope the guy is a bum and it blows up in their face.

Elite WR talents simply haven't won rings since Jerry Rice.  Seattle's rag-tag group of WR's reinforced that.  It's a sexy pick but for what they gave up to get him its not a good one.  If EJ Manuel isn't the real deal, then they just gave up a top 5 or 10 pick in next year's draft that they could have used to get a real QB.  Or, if EJ is the goods, a top mid-1st round pick to continue to build the rest of their roster. 

At best, its an aggressive move that nets them a playoff victory or 2.  At worst, it's a horrifically bad decision that should rightfully get a lot of people fired.  There just wasn't enough upside to that decision to make it worthwhile.  He has to be the next Megatron for it to make any sense (and even then, how many playoff games has Calvin won?)

But even the Bills aren't as bad as the Dolphins.  Only the Jaguars are a worse organization.

Funny everyone is talking passing league . Yet the teams with the soild running games and great defenses routinely win SB's ....Even the team you mentioned the great 49er's had great defenses and great RB's who were multi dimentional . The fact is that San Fran team had just about everything going for it.

So yeah being a passing team with the hurry up offense will win you games in the regular season vs the not so elite defenses spread around the league but come playoff time they produce nothing.

SB's are also won in the trenches Hammering away at defenses by running the ball at them and controlling the clock wears them down and opens up play action late in games so ordinary Offenses then start racking up points on tired defenses that why you always see these offensive Juggernauts with the great WR's in shootouts late in games after taking big leads.

This is why I like Alex Smith at QB hes the perfect game manager who not only refuses to lose games with stupid mistakes but he has the talent to make sh*t happen late in games as well.

If there is a true elite RB vs a true Elite WR I would take the RB every time. I would have liked to see us build up the OL to make it more mean and nasty but I guess that will come next year or at least Im hoping. Cant wait Until D-Brick is replaced never really liked the guy and he is the most over  rated OT I have ever seen based on one good year

I like ragging on the Jaguars more than most as I live in Jax and their fanbase is beyond stupid and overly defensive about every move the team makes. But this simply is not close to being true.

The Browns organization is by far the worst in football, followed by the Raiders, Dolphins and Redskins and then Bills. 

This is why I like Alex Smith at QB hes the perfect game manager who not only refuses to lose games with stupid mistakes but he has the talent to make sh*t happen late in games as well.

Hard to say.  Russell Wilson is the ultimate game manager and just won a title, so there's definitely a place for guys like Smith in the league, moreso than was previously thought.  But you do have to surround a guy like that with tons of talent for it to work.

I like ragging on the Jaguars more than most as I live in Jax and their fanbase is beyond stupid and overly defensive about every move the team makes. But this simply is not close to being true.

The Browns organization is by far the worst in football, followed by the Raiders, Dolphins and Redskins and then Bills. 

At least the Browns and Raiders with their current regimes seem committed to putting a decent product on the field.  I'll agree with you on the Redskins though.  One of the top 5 most wealthy franchises in all of sports and Snyder messes it all up at every turn.

At least you have things in common.

In 2013, dolphins traded with Raiders, moving up to 3rd overall from 12th while giving up their 42nd overall in return. The draft value chart shows the 3rd overall to be worth 2200 pts while the 12th n 42nd overall is worth 1680 pts (76% of 2200)

Going purely on the draft value chart, dolphins would have had to given up their entire draft to move up 9 slots to pick that years biggest bust. But they didn't. See the Bills trade this yr. they gave up next yrs first n a 4th to move up 5 slots from 9th to 4th overall.

Archived