The race is on to find the No. 2 Jets wide receiver

F.Chowds

What was clear to me, was that Idzik et al. had the foresight to draft a PR/KR ace (in Saunders) in the fourth round rather than role the dice on a potential outside threat. (Bruce Ellington?).

I think we drafted Saunders to be safe in the event that Kerley has a really great year.

If Kerley has a great year, someone else will be willing to pay him more than our threshold.

Maybe.  That would imply that Idzik has those.  I wonder if it's based on positional groupings (like a threshold that all the WRs together cannot exceed "x" amount of dollars), cause if not, we know he's willing to pay out up to $7.25M per year based on what Decker is making.  I wonder if Kerley has that great of a year.  Maybe it's a combination of thresholds and greatness, and positions.  Like, he is only comfortable paying a "WR1" WR2 money, so even if Kerley becomes our second-guy, he can only make WR3 money (which in this case would be the position he actually plays) so maybe John really wants him to settle for WR4 money so he can straight-facedly say that he's pinched everybody's pennies.  Maybe he reeally likes getting compensatory draft picks, and that's what his entire strategy is about. Ten years from now we find out that he could care less about keeping a talented roster in place, he just reeeeally likes drafting.  

Maybe you're not even the real RJF.  This is the longest conversation I've seen you engage in, in the last seven years, without using one of those moving picture things, or funny picture with the white words thing. I think 128 hacked Bitonti's account in another thread.  Maybe this is him, not you-- trying to convince me of silly hypotheticals involving way too many variable to really engage in some sort of a serious conversation.

Thresholds...  

Maybe you're not even the real RJF. This is the longest conversation I've seen you engage in, in the last seven years, without using one of those moving picture things, or funny picture with the white words thing. I think 128 hacked Bitonti's account in another thread. Maybe this is him, not you-- trying to convince me of silly hypotheticals involving way too many variable to really engage in some sort of a serious conversation.

Thresholds...

Strong men also cry.

2013 punt return stats:

Ellington- 3 for 16 yards

Herron- 0 for 0 yards

Saunders- 20 for 308 yards, 2 TDs

2013 receiving stats:

Ellington- 49 for 775, 8 TDs

Herron- 72 for 937, 9 TDs

Saunders- 61 for 729, 8 TDs

The only "MUCH" better stat I see is on special teams contributions. 

I just want to point out that this post was completely ignored.

I think there seems to be a lot of arguing over semantics about the idea of whether Decker is a #1.  Is he one of those top-level elite guys at the position?  No, I don't think so, and I don't think many others do either.  But few are, and I don't think it's much a stretch to say that he easily falls within the top 32 WRs in the league.

As far as crediting Manning for all Decker accomplished these past two years, while he of course won't likely put up the same kind of numbers with Geno, he had himself a pretty solid year before Manning showed up.  In only his second year in the league, playing with Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow, he had 44 rec, 612 yds, 8 TDs.  Far from dominant, but still better than anything the Jets got out of their WRs last year, and it was from a second year pro with crap at QB.  It's not crazy to think that, even without Manning, he's gotten better since then.  And let's just hope the Jets' QB play this year is far better than what Decker had that year, too.  I guess we'll see though.

Active "True #1 WRs" with a Super Bowl Ring?

1. Reggie Wayne

2. ???

I don't think Kerley is our number 2. As a matter of fact, I think after this year, if Jalen Saunders is any good, they'll try to offer Kerley a teamf friendly deal, or otherwise let Kerley walk, because a team like Green Bay, Dallas, Indianapolis, etc will offer to pay him as a speedy slot guy.

Archived