McDougle & Milliner Recovery Times

JetNation

Dee_Milliner

JetNation Gets Physical

With the recent injuries to two of the Jets top three cornerbacks, there are several opinions being offered on the prognosis and recovery time for Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle in our http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/116321-jets-shouldnt-rush-milliner-back/.  The only problem is, (to our knowledge) none of those people are physical therapists. So, we thought it would be a good idea to sit down and talk to a physical therapist/orothopod and ask some general questions about realistic recover time tables.

When asked about the  high ankle sprain suffered by Dee Milliner when going one-on-one with Quincy Enunwa, a certified New Jersey orthopod said it’s difficult to predict without knowing what grade the sprain is but that in some cases “a full recovery could take up to eight months”.  While Jets fans hold their breath and wait to find out the severity of the sprain, the fact that an MRI has not yet been performed due to the excessive swelling in the limb does not bode well.

When it came to the ACL injury suffered by rookie Dexter McDougle, our orthopod offered some basic time-frames, saying that she is “extremely conservative to avoid re-injuring the ACL” and recommends patients “attempt to jog at four to five months” with running/sprinting occuring at roughly six months, and no cutting until nine months, and even that isn’t recommended until they pass a battery of tests to show that the injury is healing properly.

While it was already known that the ACL would keep McDougel out for the season, the Milliner situation is slightly concerning as we’ve seen players in the past struggle to play at full speed for the duration of a season if they return from the injury too early.  Former Jet Curtis Martin once struggled through two high ankle sprains in the same season,and Atlanta Faclcons WR Roddy White just wasn’t the same player in 2013 when he battled the same injury.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
vKiXAi7K9tc

View the full article

Obviously hoping that eight months is way out of the question for Milliner, but the secondary is in deep stuff if he takes that long to come around.

ATL rushed Roddy White back last year, and it was a major contributor to ruining their season. I hope we don't make the same mistake. 

Honestly. This is a tldr.

It should literally be two lines.

Milliner: x weeks/months

The iother guy: a year and a day.

Why all the nonsense. I still have no idea what the wait time is because I'm not spending ten minutes reading to find out.

Why all the nonsense. I still have no idea what the wait time is because I'm not spending ten minutes reading to find out.

"His name is Dexter McDougle."

There are 320 words in this article:  http://www.jetnation.com/2014/08/12/dexter-mcdougle-dee-milliner-recovery-times/

That should take less than a minute to read.

This is depressing.  Mostly because I was really excited about seeing both of these guys play.

McDougle was impressive against the Colts. He looked physical, he steps on the practice field and boom. Totally sucks.

Bad luck.

Eventually the law of averages has to deliver us some good luck, no?

Idzik sold Namath's sole to the devil for one super bowl win. It shows how much idzik sucks as a gm because he was bargain shopping and didn't want to give up the pieces for two wins. It's all izdicks fault.

CJ Spiller and Roddy White both never really recovered from high ankle sprains that they got. However, both of their teams tried to play them every week and they both were non factors. Atlanta actually shut down White for a little while and then he played pretty well at the end of the season but it was too late. Hoping we don't make the same mistake as the Bills and the Falcons

You were praising him all along! Hopefully he comes back stronger next year.

I was watching him play at Maryland and saw him get hurt there.  Was so happy to see us draft him.  Just seems to have that little something about him.  Really want to see him come back.  

ATL rushed Roddy White back last year, and it was a major contributor to ruining their season. I hope we don't make the same mistake.

Yeah, we weren't contending this yr anyways. Instead of 10 wins AT BEST, we are now 7 wins at best.

if there is too much swelling for an MRI days after the injury, I'm offically writing milliner off for the season

if I turn out to be wrong, then fine

but mentally I'm writing him off right now

Expect the worst, hope for the best...right?

Not being snarky here, but how many NFL players have missed their entire rookie season to injury and then come back to be even solid pros?

Good question.  David DeCastro had a decent season last year after getting injured for the Steelers his rookie year.

Thats the only one that comes to mind.

if there is too much swelling for an MRI days after the injury, I'm offically writing milliner off for the season

if I turn out to be wrong, then fine

but mentally I'm writing him off right now

I've had some ankle issues.  Most of my high ankle injures, there was very little swelling.  All of my low ankles injuries, tons of swell. 

Expect the worst, hope for the best...right?

pretty much,  lol

I've had some ankle issues.  Most of my high ankle injures, there was very little swelling.  All of my low ankles injuries, tons of swell. 

I played hoops.  sprained my left ankle so bad the ligament was partially pulled off the bone. they found that with a 1984 x-ray machine.  sprained my right ankle so bad it ruptured blood vessels and swelled like a ballon.  literally.  it was gross.  They found that with a physical exam (ended my career actually, I was fed up with crutches)

if they think it needs an MRI, and still can't do it,

hFACAE4B5_zpse983d823.gif

Archived