I am so happy. Idzik is the man!

stevegrunder

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a 25 year old who has played at a pro bowl level in the NFL who the hell wants him?!

In a zone.  He only played man once in his career when they mixed it in last season.  He had mixed results in that role, and wasn't really tested with many good receivers.  Investing in a guy like that was not optimal.

Absolutely. He's free to believe that this offseason was a success, despite the fact that he didn't make the team noticeably better. In the same way, you're free to believe you're the Queen of England.

Given that the team hasn't actually played any meaningful football, what exactly are you referring to when you say things like "noticeably better"?

Damn.  How much do we all wish we had DRC, who had one good year and who talked about retirement this off season, on the payroll for the next 5 years?

DRC gets talked about the most because he was the last of the "name guys" signed. There was a lot of talk about him at the time because it was clear by then that a solid CB market was drying up fast, and he was all that was left - for good reason. Even if the Jets signed him, it would've felt like settling. I'd've preferred he offered Davis maybe $10M/year and stolen him away from the Colts. Or Munnerlyn for three years/$12M. 

DRC gets talked about the most because he was the last of the "name guys" signed. There was a lot of talk about him at the time because it was clear by then that a solid CB market was drying up fast, and he was all that was left - for good reason. Even if the Jets signed him, it would've felt like settling. I'd've preferred he offered Davis maybe $10M/year and stolen him away from the Colts. Or Munnerlyn for three years/$12M. 

Davis is the one I wanted too.  But as I've said, he went back to his own team who is a contender, can't blame him there.  Also not sure I'd want him for 4 years at 40M.  Munnerlyn I don't know all that much about, but that would have been an ok value.

Damn.  How much do we all wish we had DRC, who had one good year and who talked about retirement this off season, on the payroll for the next 5 years?

Exactly -  it was cap hell or pay 3 million to a Patterson look a like. Idzik just chose Patterson over a clone ( also so Rex could pump him for the skinny on the Phins most excellent defensive backfield)  

well, he done did what he does. did it ever occur to you that a GM with 30 mill on hand must have ridiculously good reasons for not spending it?

$23M.

Maybe. Re-signing Mo Wilk and Kerley is not a ridiculously good reason, though. We have way more than we need to do that.

Exactly -  it was cap hell or pay 3 million to a Patterson look a like. Idzik just chose Patterson over a clone ( also so Rex could pump him for the skinny on the Phins most excellent defensive backfield)  

It's not at all about cap hell.  It's about not wanting any of these guys, with the exception of maybe Davis, to be around for more than a year.  Of course we could have afforded any of them.  I think it's pretty clear though, that what Idzik and the front office really wanted was a one year hold the fort type guy as opposed to anyone we had to make an actual commitment to.

This point has gotten lost in all the Izdickery.

Archived