Jets at Bengals - Preseason Week # 2 -- Game Thread

Maxman

Boyd is terrible. 

I was pretty high on him coming out of college. I thought a 6th round pick was a bit of a steal. Dude can't even complete a pass to the flat. 

I know people say that solid college play doesn't really relay to the NFL.. but damn. Boyd was damn good in college and know he can't even dump a pass off when wide open. 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the first quarter just now. Geno is troubling.

He made one big mistake, overall he played well. Was accurate, the overthrow to start the game was bad, so that could theoretically be a 2nd big mistake for the game.  He moved the chains, with his feet. But I am not grading him until Decker is out there.

He made one big mistake, overall he played well. Was accurate, the overthrow to start the game was bad, so that could theoretically be a 2nd big mistake for the game. He moved the chains, with his feet. But I am not grading him until Decker is out there.

He did not play well against the Bengals first team defense. He had a nice scramble and the pass to Salas. Otherwise, it was dump-offs where it looked confused.

yeah I remember at least 1, so who knows maybe nelson needs to go. I'd give salas a shot over him at this point

Wasn't the first pass of the game an overthrown ball to an open Nelson? Sure it was a long pass, but if he hits him in stride Nelson walks in for a 80 yard TD.  :)

He did not play well against the Bengals first team defense. He had a nice scramble and the pass to Salas. Otherwise, it was dump-offs where it looked confused.

And that is the goal for Geno Smith right now. Dumping the ball off at this stage and not making mistakes is progress. He will need to show and do more if the Jets have any shot, but I didn't feel bad about Geno at all tonight.

The offensive line?  The penalties? Cornerbacks? That is the list of questions that scared me tonight.

And that is the goal for Geno Smith right now. Dumping the ball off at this stage and not making mistakes is progress. He will need to show and do more if the Jets have any shot, but I didn't feel bad about Geno at all tonight.

The offensive line? The penalties? Cornerbacks? That is the list of questions that scared me tonight.

Your standard for Geno right now, in his second season, is to master the dump off.

Just finished watching the game had to record it. The penalties were embarrassing I mean enough is enough lol players that stood out to me are Pryor, CJ, Powell, Edds, and Dixon. Players that disappointed are Nelson, Wilson, and Winters big time. The secondary got dissected by Dalton which is no good but hopefully once DM and Patterson come back and Pryor is actually starting things should calm down.

Edit: Salas played very well and stood out too. He should make this team he can be a playmaker.

Your standard for Geno right now, in his second season, is to master the dump off.

That isn't what I said. What I said was Geno not making mistakes is progress. That is where the QB bar is set for the Jets unfortunately.  Geno had a good night, you will look for the negative because that is what you do. But based on how they played tonight, when the coaches look at the film, Geno is not in the top 5 of people they are going to be pissed at.

Some other notes; Amaro looked decent. Our offense played pretty well when factoring in Ivory, Cumby and Decker didn't suit up. If there's 2 things you can say about this Jets team with confidence is 1: we can stop the run defensively and 2: we can run the ball effectively on offense.

That isn't what I said. What I said was Geno not making mistakes is progress. That is where the QB bar is set for the Jets unfortunately. Geno had a good night, you will look for the negative because that is what you do. But based on how they played tonight, when the coaches look at the film, Geno is not in the top 5 of people they are going to be pissed at.

He did make mistakes. The QB bar is set desperately low (according to you) and he met that bar, so that equates to playing "well" (according to you) but I'm the one with the agenda.

- I love Colon's fiery attitude, but man he needs to tone it down just a bit. Those penalties are brutal.

- Kyle Wilson is hot garbage. Enough of the excuses and b.s. about him being a great slot corner.

- The Geno pick looked like it was a timing issue. Either he rushed the pass, or Nelson needs to be ready for it sooner. At the very least, it wasn't due to a poor decision by Geno.

- We are deep at running back.

- Salas should make the final roster.

- Pryor looks good. Sure he was against backups, but he flies to the ball.

- Amaro gets a lot of flak for his performance in practice, but he seems to show up in games.

- Matt Simms will be our #3. Boyd looks terrible.

- Antonio Allen struggled against AJ Green (most corners do, in fairness), but I thought Lankster looked ok.

He did make mistakes. The QB bar is set desperately low (according to you) and he met that bar, so that equates to playing "well" (according to you) but I'm the one with the agenda.

Tom I am glad you finally admitted it. That is a good sign.

Another good sign was Geno going 10 / 13. There are two plays he wants back the first over throw and the INT. Not a great night, not a terrible night. But on the list of things that are troubling the Jets coaching staff right now, there are many things ahead of Geno.

Tom I am glad you finally admitted it. That is a good sign.

Another good sign was Geno going 10 / 13. There are two plays he wants back the first over throw and the INT. Not a great night, not a terrible night. But on the list of things that are troubling the Jets coaching staff right now, there are many things ahead of Geno.

I didn't say Geno played badly. I said he was troubling. It's troubling that he's not further along at this point. I just watched Mark Sanchez and Jimmy Garopollo put on passing clinics last night. I want Geno to look in par with Jimmy Garopollo.

Geno looked fine to me. Went through his progressions, scrambled for good chunks of yardage when he needed to and had that TD run. I think some people forget Geno rushed for 6 TD's last year. His one huge mistake was obviously the pick but that looked like a timing thing with Nelson, nothing boneheaded that's for sure. Right now the main problem with the Jets is a beat up secondary, hoping for speedy recoveries to our banged up corners.

I didn't say Geno played badly. I said he was troubling. It's troubling that he's not further along at this point. I just watched Mark Sanchez and Jimmy Garopollo put on passing clinics last night. I want Geno to look in par with Jimmy Garopollo.

You were the one that ran Sanchez out of town. The Jets confirmed this to me personally. So you can't have it both ways. You should have been nicer to Mark and then you wouldn't be so troubled right now.

Geno looked fine to me. Went through his progressions, scrambled for good chunks of yardage when he needed too and had that TD run. I think some people forget Geno rushed for 6 TD's last year. His one huge mistake was obviously the pick but that looked like a timing thing with Nelson, nothing boneheaded that's for sure. Right now the main problem with the Jets is a beat up secondary, hoping for speedy recoveries to our banged up corners.

I totally agree. I wasn't troubled by Geno's performance at all tonight.

Garoppolo was 6/12 against backups.

You were the one that ran Sanchez out of town. The Jets confirmed this to me personally. So you can't have it both ways. You should have been nicer to Mark and then you wouldn't be so troubled right now.

Mark Sanchez will be league MVP this year and you'll all be sorry.

Archived