Darrelle Revis Suffers Cramping Late In Up-And-Down Patriots Debut

Lil Bit Special

Revis was so good for the Jets you only have one play you can think of where he got burned. I don't hate REvis, NFL is a business and we traded him remember. Hopefully one day we can get past this and when he retires he can go up in the ring of honor. Other than Curtis Martin, he's the greatest Jet I've ever seen.

On the field, Martin was nowhere near the greatest-ever player that Revis was for us. Not even close.  Revis was the type of player - back in Ryan's first year here - and you'd watch and wonder how anyone could be just that good. Martin may be a fan favorite, but I can't think of any (let alone dozens of) unbelievable runs that made anyone say, "Wow, there isn't another man on planet earth that could do that. Possibly not ever."

Off the field they were both pretty much the same, except that Martin was already paid so much more than he would have gotten on the open market that there was no reason for him to hold out. Plus because his contracts were so bloated, the team had to keep throwing new bonus money at him - and even a guaranteed 2006 salary after everyone knew he'd played his last game - to bring down his otherwise-unworkable cap number.  

But they were both self-absorbed, so they both have that similarity. Both were more concerned with themselves (proportionally, in today's cap, Martin's first contract would have been in excess of $15M/year on top of the 1st and 3rd round draft picks surrendered for the privilege). Martin was in such fear of getting Wally Pipp'd - which might end that money spigot from the Jets - that he insisted on starting with two high ankle sprains (and Herm was dumb enough to have let a badly-injured player dictate his own playing time).

Jets fans also have a different, saintly memory of him as a "class act" because it wasn't the Jets he conspired to screw over, along with Parcells. The deal they came up with was so bad, and so underhanded, that the league eventually had to make a rule outlawing such slimy clauses in contracts. The contract would have turned into one that no NFL team would ever sign (today's equivalent of guaranteeing Martin $90M), should Martin play 3 regular season games in the state of Massachusetts in any one season. So basically, anyone could sign him except the Patriots, despite him being their restricted free agent. And other than the Jets, considering the enormous contract size on top of the draft picks necessary to surrender, no one else wanted to and no one else made an offer.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna go with groin injury. 

Sooner or later it's going to get embarrassing when he starts running out of injury excuses and starts citing a stubbed toe for why he got beat.

Forgetting all of the contract related mess with him, the truth is for his entire career, the guy has about a year and a half of being anywhere near the player he is so often cited as being.  Don't get me wrong, that doesn't change the fact that he is still absolutely a good CB, but he's not even the best in the league today, never mind the GOAT.  Hell, even in his best season the guy still got beat out by another CB for DPOY honors.

Sooner or later it's going to get embarrassing when he starts running out of injury excuses and starts citing a stubbed toe for why he got beat.

Forgetting all of the contract related mess with him, the truth is for his entire career, the guy has about a year and a half of being anywhere near the player he is so often cited as being.  Don't get me wrong, that doesn't change the fact that he is still absolutely a good CB, but he's not even the best in the league today, never mind the GOAT.  Hell, even in his best season the guy still got beat out by another CB for DPOY honors.

Good point, he hasn't used turf toe yet. 

Meh. I'll give Revis that much, that the DPOY award that year was a sham. 

Meh. I'll give Revis that much, that the DPOY award that year was a sham. 

Yeah, I know... but screw him.  :P

Even still, my point more than anything is the hype all comes from his seasons in 2009 and second half of 2010 (the first half he was crap).  We're talking 4 years ago now, and 1.5 years out of 7+.  It doesn't make him a bad player by any stretch of the imagination, but also not the same guy Revis and Uncle Sean want us to all believe he is / should be paid like.

Talib did play well, so did Davis from Indy. I'm glad Idzik went after Davis, wish we would've landed him. He would be great in our defense.

Agree, wanted Davis, his style would have been perfect with what Rex likes to do.

I always have argued while Revis is a top corner, the Pats got top corner production last year from Talib. Found it funny that the ESPN types downplay what a Decker will add to our pathetic WR group of a year ago but go overboard with what Revis would bring to the Pats given how well that spot was played a year ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000391464/article/vince-wilfork-patriots-d-to-go-back-to-drawing-board

Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders had some harsh words for Revis on Sunday night during NFL Network's GameDay Highlights show.

"I love him, he is a good corner, but he has to get back to the old Revis or they are going to keep victimizing him," Sanders said. "He played a fairly good game but not a great game, and I expect a little more. I know I'm going to get more because he has to get that attitude back. They brought him over there to take them to the next level, not to be an average corner. He's better than that."

Well how about that, huh?

Archived