When did Jets 'The Curse' start?

SouthernJet

Many philosophers, theologians, scholars and dumbasses have debated this for decades.

Many have narrowed it down to 2 Timer points:

1- Jan. 12, 1969: Joe Namaths deal with Devil to win SB III?

2- Dec. 1973: When PURE nepotism allowed the Jets owner to allow Weeb to anoint his successor. Weeb chose little known dumbass Charlie Winner, who was ALSO his son-in-law. He didnt last long. Weeb was supposed to retire after 1972, but decided to stay 1 more year.

By the way, the 3 favorites for the job were Jets Def Line Coach Buddy Ryan, Walt Michaels, Def Coord (who media reports at time say was 'promised' job) and Chuck Knox who was wanted job (was Jets assistant, left for Detroit in 1966) and 'may' have gotten it through pressure if Weeb had left after 1972. Knox took Rams Head Coach job in Jan. 1973 and when Weeb finally left, Knox was off market and Jets over looked Buddy and Walt for the son-in-law.  Buddy stayed, but Walt resigned to go to Philly as son-in-law was named HC. Ironically he became Jets HC later, LOL

Any other thoughts from you Thespians?

NAMATH ADMITS SELLING SOUL TO THE DEVIL IN 1968- CONFIRMS SUSPICIONS THAT JETS ARE CURSED

7 Jan

New York- namath-now-150x150.jpgThe Jets may never reach another Superbowl. Don’t blame Mark Sanchez’s weak arm. Don’t blame offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s faulty play calling. Don’t even blame head coach Rex Ryan’s big mouth. The Jets are cursed,  according to Joe Namath.

Watching another Jets season end in agonizing failure, Joe Namath is finally speaking up. The Hall of Fame ex-quarteback has decided to unburden himself of a 43 year old secret. 

“Well, I don’t know quite where to start,” said a soft spoken Namath, “I really wanted to win it all in ’68.  I thought we had a pretty good shot, we sure had a lot of talent on that team, but in my opinion we were just a little short in some areas. Mickey [Mantle] introduced me to someone who had helped him with his career, and I listened to his proposal. I didn’t want to do it, but I thought with just a little help we could win the Superbowl. I hesitated until we made the playoffs and my body was really dinged up, that’s when I made a deal with the man downstairs.”

Namath’s shocking admission has taken the sports world by surprise, especially the battered fan base of the New York Jets. The deal that Joe from Beaver Falls struck with the devil turned him into Broadway Joe- a Superbowl winning quarterback and a world famous celebrity. A good deal for Namath. Not so good for the future of the Jets.

“I sold my soul for a championship. I guaranteed it, as you all know. The deal I made said that the team would not win or even play in another Superbowl while I was still alive. I’ve done some hard living since that day, shoot I didn’t think I was going to hit my40th birthday, this year I’m gonna be 69. I feel terrible about what’s happened to the team and I apologize to the fans for living so long. It isn’t fair to you guys, I guess I shoulda lived even harder in the 1970′s,” said Namath.

There is a glimmer of hope with Jets fans knowing that Namath is almost 70 years old, and his hard partying days are sure to catch up with him sooner rather than later. That may not be soon enough for some of the more die-hard fans who have suffered through over four decades of losing and may try to assist their hero into the great beyond, finally terminating the curse. Watch your back Mr. Namath, these Jets fans are desperate for another championship and may resort to just about anything to make that happen.

“ No team could be this unlucky, there had to be something else going on,” said lifelong Jets fan Dean R (who refused to give his real last name),”I love Joe Namath, but he needs to die.namath-then1-150x150.jpg Tonight if possible! If not tonight, then definitely before training camp because I can no longer suffer through another season of losing with this awful team.”

A majority of fans echo this sentiment, most of whom are too young to have seen or remember the lone championship the team won in 1969. They have always loved Joe, but if his living is preventing them from winning they will be happy to see him go, especially the one he struck the deal with- “I’ve been waiting for old Joe for quite some time now. He’s lasted much longer than I had anticipated, but that’s ok, I’m patient. Joe’s had a lot of hot dates in his day, but he’s about to have a real scorcher. I guarantee it,” said the devil.

DD (Laszlo Ferrar reporting)

The Curse of Sonny Werblin? No. JK. There's no curse. Just a lack of smarts and ability on top. People point at how great the Steelers and Giants are but how long have their owners families been at it? Paul Allen gets a lot of praise for the Seahawks but he has a lot of practice. His turn at the tiller saw the Portland basketball team become the Jailblazers and go bankrupt. Allen learned from his mistakes. Maybe Woody can go to that school? Jets fans realize that supporting their team doesn'r mean buying tickets.

The day the Jets abandoned New York City and the stadium on the subway line and the Long Island Rail Road and moved to New Jersey.

I agree with this....

The weird stuff didn't start happening till 1986 with the Browns playoff game. Unless you count a weeks worth of rain and an uncovered field in Miami in 1982.

To me it was the when they let Riggins leave as a free agent in 76...Since then total hex .

(Edit). He was team MVP in 75 and they get rid of him...beginning of the clueless Jets moves they have become famous for.

Ya forgot about Riggo leaving , damn

You must be young, the "weird" stuff has been going on since the 70's

No actually been a fan since the mid 70's

The Jets were just flat out bad in from say 70-76. Never a contender. 

I don't remember just bizarre stuff happening during Walt's first couple of years except maybe for the Matt Robinson banging up his thumb before the 79 opener. 

Maybe I am getting a tab senile.

No actually been a fan since the mid 70's

The Jets were just flat out bad in from say 70-76. Never a contender.

I don't remember just bizarre stuff happening during Walt's first couple of years except maybe for the Matt Robinson banging up his thumb before the 79 opener.

Maybe I am getting a tab senile.

I said, to me it started with Riggins being released as a free agent in 76.

Yes Matt Robinson's thumb, typical Jets.

'81 0-3 start go on a 10-1-1 run make the playoffs, Harper fumbles opening kickoff, go down 24-0 Todd teases then chokes at end 31-27 loss.

'82 wheels fall off in Mud Bowl, Todd choke again...OK, fire Walt Michaels great idea Hess ...leading to us falling back into oblivion

Besides the obviously disgusting draft picks during those years, also...look it up.

Like I said the weird stuff started WAY before '86

To me it was the when they let Riggins leave as a free agent in 76...Since then total hex .

(Edit). He was team MVP in 75 and they get rid of him...beginning of the clueless Jets moves they have become famous for.

The Jets refused to pay Riggins more than his $75,000 contract.

He signed a 4-year, $1.5MM contract with the Skins.

Best Riggins story was when he was skunk drunk at a White House dinner and was under the table putting his hand up Sandra Day O'Conner's skirt.

Haha, yea heard that story, f ckin Riggo...

BTW, My favorite Jet growing up...Got a Riggo uniform for Christmas in '73, played tackle with my friends for a couple years straight in that uni.

2 years later they dump him, I should have known then to get away from this miserable, idiotic franchise, instead I kept coming back for more.

NAMATH ADMITS SELLING SOUL TO THE DEVIL IN 1968- CONFIRMS SUSPICIONS THAT JETS ARE CURSED

7 Jan

New York- namath-now-150x150.jpgThe Jets may never reach another Superbowl. Don’t blame Mark Sanchez’s weak arm. Don’t blame offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s faulty play calling. Don’t even blame head coach Rex Ryan’s big mouth. The Jets are cursed,  according to Joe Namath.

Watching another Jets season end in agonizing failure, Joe Namath is finally speaking up. The Hall of Fame ex-quarteback has decided to unburden himself of a 43 year old secret. 

“Well, I don’t know quite where to start,” said a soft spoken Namath, “I really wanted to win it all in ’68.  I thought we had a pretty good shot, we sure had a lot of talent on that team, but in my opinion we were just a little short in some areas. Mickey [Mantle] introduced me to someone who had helped him with his career, and I listened to his proposal. I didn’t want to do it, but I thought with just a little help we could win the Superbowl. I hesitated until we made the playoffs and my body was really dinged up, that’s when I made a deal with the man downstairs.”

Namath’s shocking admission has taken the sports world by surprise, especially the battered fan base of the New York Jets. The deal that Joe from Beaver Falls struck with the devil turned him into Broadway Joe- a Superbowl winning quarterback and a world famous celebrity. A good deal for Namath. Not so good for the future of the Jets.

“I sold my soul for a championship. I guaranteed it, as you all know. The deal I made said that the team would not win or even play in another Superbowl while I was still alive. I’ve done some hard living since that day, shoot I didn’t think I was going to hit my40th birthday, this year I’m gonna be 69. I feel terrible about what’s happened to the team and I apologize to the fans for living so long. It isn’t fair to you guys, I guess I shoulda lived even harder in the 1970′s,” said Namath.

There is a glimmer of hope with Jets fans knowing that Namath is almost 70 years old, and his hard partying days are sure to catch up with him sooner rather than later. That may not be soon enough for some of the more die-hard fans who have suffered through over four decades of losing and may try to assist their hero into the great beyond, finally terminating the curse. Watch your back Mr. Namath, these Jets fans are desperate for another championship and may resort to just about anything to make that happen.

“ No team could be this unlucky, there had to be something else going on,” said lifelong Jets fan Dean R (who refused to give his real last name),”I love Joe Namath, but he needs to die.namath-then1-150x150.jpg Tonight if possible! If not tonight, then definitely before training camp because I can no longer suffer through another season of losing with this awful team.”

A majority of fans echo this sentiment, most of whom are too young to have seen or remember the lone championship the team won in 1969. They have always loved Joe, but if his living is preventing them from winning they will be happy to see him go, especially the one he struck the deal with- “I’ve been waiting for old Joe for quite some time now. He’s lasted much longer than I had anticipated, but that’s ok, I’m patient. Joe’s had a lot of hot dates in his day, but he’s about to have a real scorcher. I guarantee it,” said the devil.

DD (Laszlo Ferrar reporting)

All right.  So who wants the contract?

Yep. When you have a stud white RB you don't let him leave. It's like discovering a unicorn or Bigfoot.

He was bigger than some of our lineman, faster in the 100 then anyone on the team, was MVP of the team in '71 and '75 and was the first Jet RB to crack 1000 yards. So they let him leave as a free agent before free agency actually existed...only the Jets...

Imagine '81, 82 and '86 playoffs with Riggins and Michaels...That was our chance at multiple SB's and they got rid of both of them.

It probably started with Joe Namath and his very bold guarantee that they would win the game. Or its just that the Jets have Stunk for the past 4 decades.

It reminds me so much of what the Redsox went through before 2004 and what the Cubs are still going through. The Jets are the Chicago Cubs of the NFL.

They never can get out of their own way. Always disappointing the fans who have watched for a long time. They have become so predictable that its not a surprise anymore that they do this weekly. #SameOldJets!

I don't know about a curse, but I think the Jets took a big step toward being the Same Old Jets when they gave the QB job to Ken O'Brien.  Funny thing is, he was better than Todd, who was lousy.  But O'Brien was our QB seemingly forever, and he never was able to get rid of the ball, and it basically killed the team over and over.  Having a bad QB after your glory years is one thing, most franchises have a down period.  But O'Brien seemed to usher in the era of mediocre = good enough.

Archived