Could Sanchez's Success be the Final Nail in Idzik's Coffin?

Jettington

:hand:

That's an interesting version of history you are writing there. 

It's almost as if you are ignoring all the anti-Rex, anti-Tannenbaum and anti-Woody threads that have appeared on this very message board the last five years..... oh wait... that is exactly what you are doing. 

You are also ignoring the reality of Sanchez's awful performance. 

I really thought you were a smarter fan than this.

Smash is talking about our fanbase at large, not the members of this site. I don't believe this site necessarily reflects the average Jet fan pulse on some of this stuff, our site members are more informed than most of our fanbase. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really thought you were a smarter fan than this.

Smash is talking about our fanbase at large, not the members of this site. I don't believe this site necessarily reflects the average Jet fan pulse on some of this stuff, our site members are more informed than most of our fanbase. 

So he's still ignoring Sanchez's awful play. 

Sanchez looked like a different player last night, which makes me question if Rex really is the problem with our QBs.

Youre only questioning it now? Of course he is the problem! Geno is dumber than a sack of rocks though, not sure anyone could help him. I had real fear sanchez would win somewhere else under a real hc. I have zero such fear about geno. He is cuttable with zero chance of coming back to bite us.

Truth.

Rex used Sanchez as a scapegoat, just like he did Schotty, then Sporano, then Tanny and so on and so forth. Rex's most effective managerial skill is self-preservation. Geno is queued up next, as is Idzik. In every scenario with these scapegoats, the reason they work is that they deserve some blame, but the fact that Rex doesn't get any with them is absurd.

I think you're giving Rex too much credit...I dont think he's honestly smart enough to be a perennial thrower under the busser. I just think Woody's in love with him and his personality.

I think you're giving Rex too much credit...I dont think he's honestly smart enough to be a perennial thrower under the busser. I just think Woody's in love with him and his personality.

That or the johnsons and ryans be swinging together

:hand:

That's an interesting version of history you are writing there. 

It's almost as if you are ignoring all the anti-Rex, anti-Tannenbaum and anti-Woody threads that have appeared on this very message board the last five years..... oh wait... that is exactly what you are doing. 

You are also ignoring the reality of Sanchez's awful performance. 

Kleck I never disputed Sanchez performance or the reality of it. All I ever argued was the fact we did a terrible Job handling him and that he not only could have done much better here but he deserved much better here.

It was very distressing watching that Eagles game last night I didn't give a **** about the I told ya so's (even though they are fun) It pissed me off the NY Jets once again became a laughing stock and I love this team and it hurts. We the fans deserve better than this.

I know its been about Woody tanny Idzik and Rex but it was more pronounced on Sanchez than any of those guys ...And some if not most kept crying cause Poor fat ass Rex never had a QB which was bullsh*t ...

So he's still ignoring Sanchez's awful play. 

sorry Klecko but that's 100 % wrong I NEVER ignored his bad play. But people like to spin it that way. I always talked about the future with Sanchez or the possibility of one and that led to most of the spin. Go back and read my posts I ask you to find one post in the past 5 years that I make a case that Sanchez played well or I defended his bad play

Kleck I never disputed Sanchez performance or the reality of it. All I ever argued was the fact we did a terrible Job handling him and that he not only could have done much better here but he deserved much better here.

It was very distressing watching that Eagles game last night I didn't give a **** about the I told ya so's (even though they are fun) It pissed me off the NY Jets once again became a laughing stock and I love this team and it hurts. We the fans deserve better than this.

I know its been about Woody tanny Idzik and Rex but it was more pronounced on Sanchez than any of those guys ...And some if not most kept crying cause Poor fat ass Rex never had a QB which was bullsh*t ...

Look, I don't like the Jets being a laughingstock any more than you do. And while I am just as passionate about them as I've ever been, I have learned to limit their emotional hold on me to Sundays. When some jagoff gives me crap about the Jets I calmly explain to that mouth breathing sh*t zipper that do not own, manage, coach or play for the New York Jets and that I, personally, have nothing to do with their performance. 

Sanchez had a good game last night. He had good games when he played for the Jets. Sanchez's issue was never that he couldn't play well. It was that he couldn't play well with any kind of consistency. 

My annoyance this morning is the ESPNing of this process - where everything is taken out of context, with no historical perspective and this notion that a single performance has some definitive meaning. Sanchez had a good game. 

The nice thing is time will tell. If he plays well next week the case that the Jets mishandled him and gave up on him too early will be strengthened. If he plays poorly. the jury will still be out. 

However, prepare yourself for this contingency - if Sanchez plays poorly next week, ESPN and all the mouth breathers will be declaring him to be sh*t and will be killing the Jets for holding on to him for too long. 

Well, an enabler like Woody is the key ingredient in getting away with throwing people under the bus repeatedly.

Cruel fates and whatnot

Chip Kelly is paid 6.5 Mil a year, guaranteed over 5 years. He's the sixth highest paid HC in the league. 

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/01/chip_kelly_gets_325_million_co.html

Rex is the 25th highest paid in the league 

Like everything else in this world you get what you pay for. (Unless it's a Mark Sanchez extension)

Chip Kelly is paid 6.5 Mil a year, guaranteed over 5 years. He's the sixth highest paid HC in the league.

Like everything else in this world you get what you pay for. (Unless it's a Mark Sanchez extension)

So you're admitting that Rex isn't half the coach that Chip Kelly is??

Look, I don't like the Jets being a laughingstock any more than you do. And while I am just as passionate about them as I've ever been, I have learned to limit their emotional hold on me to Sundays. When some jagoff gives me crap about the Jets I calmly explain to that mouth breathing sh*t zipper that do not own, manage, coach or play for the New York Jets and that I, personally, have nothing to do with their performance. 

Sanchez had a good game last night. He had good games when he played for the Jets. Sanchez's issue was never that he couldn't play well. It was that he couldn't play well with any kind of consistency. 

My annoyance this morning is the ESPNing of this process - where everything is taken out of context, with no historical perspective and this notion that a single performance has some definitive meaning. Sanchez had a good game. 

The nice thing is time will tell. If he plays well next week the case that the Jets mishandled him and gave up on him too early will be strengthened. If he plays poorly. the jury will still be out. 

However, prepare yourself for this contingency - if Sanchez plays poorly next week, ESPN and all the mouth breathers will be declaring him to be sh*t and will be killing the Jets for holding on to him for too long. 

what you posted here is exactly what Ive been saying today in a few threads . I fully expect Sanchez to have some bad games all QB's do ...but you can bet when he does all this turns around and the argument takes a crazy turn .... The Jury wont be out on Sanchez until the end of the season and if he makes the playoffs and performs like he did here come playoff time.

what you posted here is exactly what Ive been saying today in a few threads . I fully expect Sanchez to have some bad games all QB's do ...but you can bet when he does all this turns around and the argument takes a crazy turn .... The Jury wont be out on Sanchez until the end of the season and if he makes the playoffs and performs like he did here come playoff time.

lpvl3gbqfg3xi54os8gm.jpg

Lost in all of the chaos this season has brought us is an unresolved issue from last season.

Who's call was it to let Sanchez go?

I don't think I've ever heard this issue addressed and it has been largely irrelevant until now. Rex's MO has been such that he'd stick up for any of his players so I find it hard to believe he actively wanted Sanchez out; it seems like solely an Idzik move with maybe a neutral/passive acceptance stance from Woody. Idzik comes in, doesn't see much in Sanchez, drafts his own guy, cuts Sanchez in the off-season to save money... seems like a likely scenario to me.

But considering how Geno has just imploded, and Sanchez now looks like he might be better than ever, is this final humiliation enough for Woody to pull the plug on Idzik after two years if all of this is the case?

If Sanchez leads the Eagles to the playoffs playing at a high level things are going to get interesting. This would be the second time Woody has been humiliated like this, first when cutting Pennington for Favre came back to bite us, just like it's now starting to look like cutting Sanchez to commit to Geno has come back to bite us.

Woody should pull the plug on both Idzik and Rex. Rex did little or nothing to help Sanchez' development as a QB and Chip Kelly obviously has the system (and a few good WR's) to help him out. Jets should have drafted Joe Flacco instead of signing a one year wonder like Favre - who clearly didn't really want to be here. Before Sanchez got hurt I think he had clearly outplayed Geno Smith and deserved to remain the starter. However, the chronically comical sports channel that is ESPN could never let go of the Butt Fumble, making it nearly impossible for him to remain in NY.

I think a more accurate question would be, "was he ever really good?"

I don't agree. I also don't think that's a constructive way to look at it, because it can't really be proven either way. 

The reality is, he played like a rookie, you could argue that he improved a little in his second year playing with quality veterans around him, and then went into a rapid decline as the structure and players around him got worse. Those are the knowns. 

Good? He was good enough to be drafted where he was, and nobody really disagreed with when he was drafted. Most reservation was about where he was drafted to: the Jets. Given how ridiculous the QB handling and coaching was in his first couple years, the Jets were part of the problem... given that Sanchez makes some really stupid decisions, Sanchez was also part of the problem.

From what i saw last nite this was an above average QB performance from Mark. It's the Philly OL that was star of the show.

Yup.

Philly's OL was great, Sanchez did get a little lucky with some bad throws that didn't get picked... and frankly, the Carolina secondary is as bad as ours (if not worse) so there's that.

From what i saw last nite this was an above average QB performance from Mark. It's the Philly OL that was star of the show.

Funny part of that OL is I think they have had 13 different starters due to injuries.

The ball for the most part was coming out so quick, and Sanchez was sliding very well in the pocket

jets got what they paid for with sanchez extension--no QB is succeeding under Rex unless they come to the Jets after having been developed somewhere else. So they extended the Rex/Sanchez duo with that contract, which was the same as it ever was.

Funny part of that OL is I think they have had 13 different starters due to injuries.

The ball for the most part was coming out so quick, and Sanchez was sliding very well in the pocket

I didn't watch the whole game. But twice i saw him under pressure and it did not look good. Didn't he have an intentional grounding penalty.

I didn't watch the whole game. But twice i saw him under pressure and it did not look good. Didn't he have an intentional grounding penalty.

Yes.

Car. pressured him alot. Ball came out quick, and he avoided about 3 sacks by sliding around the pocket and making plays.

WE'll see what happens with him, but last night Sanchez played very well against an overmatched team

Sanchez was never developed by the Jets . That falls squarely on Rex and the coaches. To assign blame on anyone else, especially Idzik, is idiotic.

imagine the cacophony of "sanchez sucks" threads if he played poorly. but today we are cautioned that it was "only" one game and that carolina sucks

Looking at the boxscore again, Mark Sanchez completed 54% of his passes. It was a typical Sanchez performance, minus the back breaking turnovers. 

Looking at the boxscore again, Mark Sanchez completed 54% of his passes. It was a typical Sanchez performance, minus the back breaking turnovers. 

I did not watch the entire game. But from what i saw it was an above average performance.

Certainly doesn't deserve the reaction that his performance has caused on this board.

I did not watch the entire game. But from what i saw it was an above average performance.

Certainly doesn't deserve the reaction that his performance has caused on this board.

Jets fans have seen Sanchez play competently against bad teams before.  He used to do it quite a bit in the 09/10 era. 

This week at Green Bay should be a much sterner test.

That completion percentage is significant - that 55% was always a threshold he couldn't cross. 

Archived