Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

So Inquisition sucks? That's disappointing. I was planning on picking that one up. Is it at least better than the second one?

Inquisition is amazing. It has flaws but these guys are complaining about the prologue. The game hasn't even started yet. They're just bad at games.

So I think I'm finished with Resident Evil: Revelations. There are a few more achievements I could get but they seem like too big of a pain in the ass. Overall, very good game if you're a fan of the series like I am. I was able to get Jessica's scuba outfit so I'm content with my progress there.

resident-evil-revelations-jessica.jpg

I went to GameStop today and found Grand Theft Auto V for 26 bucks and scooped it up. Just starting to play it now. I have a feeling I'm going to be dropping off the grid with this one for the next month or so.

question for the parents.  my 9 year old has asked for a Wii U and xbox.  He is forbidden from playing shooting games or war games.  mario kart and stuff like that for him

so I'm thinking Wii U, but when he grows out of it I'll need another console, so maybe xbox ?

he's very clever, how do I keep him from being exposed to online games and people like us out there ?  are there parental controls ?

and dad will need to play a LOTR game after they go to bed.

can wii u play LOTR ?

I'm so confused

So I think I'm finished with Resident Evil: Revelations. There are a few more achievements I could get but they seem like too big of a pain in the ass. Overall, very good game if you're a fan of the series like I am. I was able to get Jessica's scuba outfit so I'm content with my progress there.

resident-evil-revelations-jessica.jpg

I went to GameStop today and found Grand Theft Auto V for 26 bucks and scooped it up. Just starting to play it now. I have a feeling I'm going to be dropping off the grid with this one for the next month or so.

26 bucks nice, After I'm done with the evil within and watchdogs I may get that. I beat it for PS3 I hear it's better for ps4, also heard the same thing about the last of us.

question for the parents. my 9 year old has asked for a Wii U and xbox. He is forbidden from playing shooting games or war games. mario kart and stuff like that for him

so I'm thinking Wii U, but when he grows out of it I'll need another console, so maybe xbox ?

he's very clever, how do I keep him from being exposed to online games and people like us out there ? are there parental controls ?

can wii u play LOTR ?

I'm so confused

That will be tough, my 10 year old plays cod here and there but mostly likes minecraft , I'd go with Xbox rather than wii, the new systems are pretty much geared to be played online.

question for the parents.  my 9 year old has asked for a Wii U and xbox.  He is forbidden from playing shooting games or war games.  mario kart and stuff like that for him

he's very clever, how do I keep him from being exposed to online games and people like us out there ?  are there parental controls ?

can wii u play LOTR ?

I'm so confused

I'm not a fan of Nintendo consoles in general since I'm not a fan of their games. I don't have an XB but that is the route I would go, I'm sure there are parental controls that you can setup, although I don't know how it works. If you get a WiiU you'll probably be limiting yourself to the library of games you'll want to play. 

Edit: this may help 

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/security/xbox-one-manage-privacy-and-online-safety

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one-parental-controls,news-17893.html

Plants vs Zombies:Garden Warfare I hear is a good kid friendly title, and I heard as a shooter its quite good.

can wii u play LOTR ?

I'm so confused

Yeah, I'd have to echo the general sentiment here and suggest an Xbox. I don't have much experience with Wii U, but I think Xbox would be the better long-term investment. If you don't care about playing online with other people, just don't bother signing up and paying for Xbox Live. That way you won't even have to worry about getting online and dealing with all the douchebags out there.

There are plenty of kid-friendly titles for Xbox. My daughters play Minecraft and the Lego games.

Here are a couple of good ones both of you might like playing together, if you're into Lord of the Rings stuff:

Lego_Lord_of_the_Rings_cover.jpg

350-846673-847__1.jpg

Yeah, I'd have to echo the general sentiment here and suggest an Xbox. I don't have much experience with Wii U, but I think Xbox would be the better long-term investment. If you don't care about playing online with other people, just don't bother signing up and paying for Xbox Live. That way you won't even have to worry about getting online and dealing with all the douchebags out there.

There are plenty of kid-friendly titles for Xbox. My daughters play Minecraft and the Lego games.

Here are a couple of good ones both of you might like playing together, if you're into Lord of the Rings stuff:

350-846673-847__1.jpg

I agree with this, the Lego games are pretty solid, and you can get some quality time in with your kids playing with them (much to the chagrin of my wife); the same goes for Minecraft too (my kids are obsessed with it). 

• Upvote 1

I'm loving inquisition, too each his own.

After seeing Arsis yell at me, I gave it another shot, played through a couple of the main story missions, and was able to add a few new, ballsier characters (Iron Bull and a juiced-up Solas) to the mix that has made combat easier, so it's improved for me.

• Upvote 1

That will be tough, my 10 year old plays cod here and there but mostly likes minecraft , I'd go with Xbox rather than wii, the new systems are pretty much geared to be played online.

I'm not a fan of Nintendo consoles in general since I'm not a fan of their games. I don't have an XB but that is the route I would go, I'm sure there are parental controls that you can setup, although I don't know how it works. If you get a WiiU you'll probably be limiting yourself to the library of games you'll want to play. 

Edit: this may help 

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/security/xbox-one-manage-privacy-and-online-safety

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one-parental-controls,news-17893.html

Plants vs Zombies:Garden Warfare I hear is a good kid friendly title, and I heard as a shooter its quite good.

350-846673-847__1.jpg

thanks !

I think just getting him xbox and not signing up for the online stuff makes sense.  

After seeing Arsis yell at me, I gave it another shot, played through a couple of the main story missions, and was able to add a few new, ballsier characters (Iron Bull and a juiced-up Solas) to the mix that has made combat easier, so it's improved for me.

Good to hear, multiplayer isn't too bad either

I maxed out my 500 gig a month or so ago. It sounds like a lot but when you think of it, it's really not. I upgraded to a 2 TB hard drive. Like section 333 said, even though you have the disk, you still download the whole game onto your hard drive.

This. 

I did the same thing as well, couldn't be easier to do. It helps if you don't have a lot of games on your PS4 yet, since you'll need to re-download them all. 

I used the Samsung Spinpoint 2tb drive - 

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-SpinPoint-ST2000LM003-Notebook/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420456372&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+spinpoint+m9t+2tb

My PS3 only had a paltry 160gb hard drive, so I used my 'old' PS4 500gb drive and upgraded my PS3 to 500gb. 

Black flag so far so good im really enjoying it. If it continues to impress im going to find myself buying the latest one.

Eh, you might want to read some reviews on Unity though. I haven't really played the AC games though, but I heard Black Flag was the best out of the last 3, so I'd read up on it first. 

Not to start nerd wars in here, but PS4 or Xbox One..

I've been an Xbox guy since the first one, but I don't think games are backward compatible anyway. Seems like the Xbox is positioned to be more of a media hub, and I kind of like that aspect... but the real question is the games, 

which one seems poised with more (and better) exclusive franchises

Not to start nerd wars in here, but PS4 or Xbox One..

I've been an Xbox guy since the first one, but I don't think games are backward compatible anyway. Seems like the Xbox is positioned to be more of a media hub, and I kind of like that aspect... but the real question is the games, 

which one seems poised with more (and better) exclusive franchises

I honestly don't even know. 

Since I've had a PS1 through PS4, if there is an Xbox exclusive I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. 

I wouldn't lament owning one console over another since there are more than enough games to keep me busy anyway, to be honest.

I've never played Halo or Gears and I'm sure they are great games, but I wouldn't run out to buy another console just to play them.

This is an older link, but it shows some of the exclusives on both - 

http://time.com/2853017/xbox-one-vs-ps4-battle-of-the-exclusives/

I honestly don't even know. 

Since I've had a PS1 through PS4, if there is an Xbox exclusive I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. 

I wouldn't lament owning one console over another since there are more than enough games to keep me busy anyway, to be honest.

I've never played Halo or Gears and I'm sure they are great games, but I wouldn't run out to buy another console just to play them.

This is an older link, but it shows some of the exclusives on both - 

http://time.com/2853017/xbox-one-vs-ps4-battle-of-the-exclusives/

thanks!

is there any other compelling reason to buy one over the other?

Most of the good games are on both systems. If you are going to play online, X-box has the edge. Sony is doing better in regards to improving their online experience, but the X-box is still more stable.

Right now, the PS4 has the edge on games running at 1080p. The Xbox One has been having problems with true 1080p. I just read that Microsoft is allowing developers to use another processor which was exclusively used for the Kinect, so in light of that, I'm sure the Xbox One will probably be able to output at 1080p as well.

Like Fishooked, I've had PS1-4. I also have a Xbox 360. I like both, but I tend to play Playstation more just because I have more friends on the Playstation.

IMO, both systems are pretty much the same. Look at what the exclusives are for the next year or two and see if either one of those draws your fancy. The one thing I'll say is Xbox usually has exclusives when it comes to downloadable content coming to their system first. You might want to take that into account before you buy.

• Upvote 1

Most of the good games are on both systems. If you are going to play online, X-box has the edge. Sony is doing better in regards to improving their online experience, but the X-box is still more stable.

Right now, the PS4 has the edge on games running at 1080p. The Xbox One has been having problems with true 1080p. I just read that Microsoft is allowing developers to use another processor which was exclusively used for the Kinect, so in light of that, I'm sure the Xbox One will probably be able to output at 1080p as well.

Like Fishooked, I've had PS1-4. I also have a Xbox 360. I like both, but I tend to play Playstation more just because I have more friends on the Playstation.

IMO, both systems are pretty much the same. Look at what the exclusives are for the next year or two and see if either one of those draws your fancy. The one thing I'll say is Xbox usually has exclusives when it comes to downloadable content coming to their system first. You might want to take that into account before you buy.

thanks!!!

Pretty much this. The only big exclusives I can think of for PS4 are No Man's Sky and H1Z1 that I'm looking forward to. I'll wait and see on Bloodborne and The Order:1886

Pretty much this. The only big exclusives I can think of for PS4 are No Man's Sky and H1Z1 that I'm looking forward to. I'll wait and see on Bloodborne and The Order:1886

I'm really looking forward to Bloodborne, but I won't pick it up until a price drop. H1Z1 looks interesting too.

I'm really looking forward to Bloodborne, but I won't pick it up until a price drop. H1Z1 looks interesting too.

Same here - I'm interested in Far Cry4 but Im waiting until it goes down some.

I'm really interested in H1Z1 as there is early access for it on 1/15, but only on Steam for some reason.

If it's being developed by SOE, I would have thought there would have been early access for PS4 as well? 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/H1Z1-Arrives-Steam-Early-Access-69411.html