Jets' Matt Simms showing improvement

Ken Schroy

Jets' Matt Simms showing improvement (J.P. Pelzman)

The Record

November 12, 2014

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/lee-simms-is-making-some-headway-1.1131569

FLORHAM PARK — Jets quarterbacks coach David Lee said he's pleased with the progress that has been made by third-string QB Matt Simms, a former Don Bosco star. Simms, who spent the first eight weeks of the season on the practice squad, saw his only game action this season Nov. 2, when he relieved an injured Michael Vick for one series.

Simms went 3-for-8 for 39 yards and drove the Jets from their 17 to the Kansas City 40 until the drive stalled with four straight incompletions.

"I thought Matt did a good job of coming in with a lot of poise," Lee said Tuesday. "I thought he was calm. He threw some strikes in there."

On fourth-and-10 from the 40, Simms underthrew an open Jeremy Kerley while under heavy pressure from blitzing safety Husain Abdullah. Lee indicated Simms needed to get rid of the ball faster on that play.

"He's got to quick-twitch, make that play and get the snot knocked out of him," Lee said, adding, "He's improved fundamentally. His technique, his touch, is so much better. … I think he's an ascending player."

So great to read that Lee is "pleased" with Simms' progress.  The guy has done such a bang up job coaching Geno and preparing Vick for his backup role that his comments really do have an extraordinary amount or weight behind them.

seriously, Lee's future is in HS gym class after this.

So great to read that Lee is "pleased" with Simms' progress.  The guy has done such a bang up job coaching Geno and preparing Vick for his backup role that his comments really do have an extraordinary amount or weight behind them.

That has nothing to do with the players themselves correct?

Id like to see Matt get a few starts. I know he wont, and I don't have high expectations for him, but it would give me something to care about. I hate Vick with a passion, and Geno is horrid, so I'd love to see if we can maybe get lucky for once and get some decent play out of Simms.

Archived