Make ME the GM. I'll fix this sh*t v1.0

Greenseed4

Version 1.0--dec 11

Idzik. Out. I'm in.

Free agency moves:

Justin Houston, OLB. -- This is the splashy free agency add we've been saving up for, so enjoy it. He has 16 sacks on the season playing in Sutton's (Rex Ryan) scheme, so we know he's a good fit. He can finally be the three down player we've been hoping for in Babin, Barnes, and IK. He enables a new defensive scheme in 4-3, or 3-4 looks. In fact, his arrival allows a NASCAR line-up featuring Coples-Wilk-Richardson-Houston. He alone helps take pressure off the struggling secondary.

Perrisch Cox, CB -- I like him, always have. He, or another player of his caliber brings more competition to a secondary already looking to add back two starters in McDougle and Milliner (with Williams, Adams, and Walls bringing some fight to the positional battle). This year's mantra will truly be competition. I'm okay with him filling in, or falling out.

Mike Iupati, OG -- He fortifies the OL. Having some young, up-and-comers helps solidify the other OG spot, and RT will be addressed through the draft.

Jake Locker, QB -- He's strong-armed, and leggy. While he isn't the long-term answer at the position (or is he?) he brings justifiable upgrades to the position while our rookies stand in wait.

Draft:

R1. Marcus Mariota. He has been the best QB of this class since two years ago. Whether he takes the league by storm or not is not the question. We need him to be good enough to make plays, and he can. I like his arm more than most, and feel that he offers WRs the opportunity to make plays. Draft him early, and don't play him until necessary. He has the skill-set to take this team to the next level. If his floor is Jeff Garcia, he is exactly what we need.

R2. RT. Cameron Erving. Has played all five positions on the OL, and can step in immediately to any position. His addition doesn't dispel Giocamini, but keeps him on short watch, and allows for the possibility of injury to occur with the OL unscathed in future seasons.

R3. WR. This is another WR-heavy draft. We'd be stupid to not take a flier on a highly rated prospect. Ty Montgomery takes a slide for his small hands, but his "phenom" attributes makes him a falling star here. Adding to a line-up featuring Decker, Harvin, and Amaro rounds out a receiving corp that rivals any in the NFL. Other options are likely to fall to the top of the third round. They would be similarly desirable.

R4. QB. Garrett Grayson. Adding another option at QB can only be viewed as taking the position seriously. Something we need to do, now that I'm the GM.

KC will not yet houston gwet away, pipe dream there.

cox is patterson like, a guy who could maybe work out but coukld flop just as easy.

I would like the Iuapti move, will have to make that a priority but that would be a nice move.

Locker?  Ugh, well if we can't find anyone better I suppose.

Mariotta, have not decided on him as of yet.  I am more along the kipper line of thinking and don;t really trust the top two QBs.

I like the Erving pick.

I have not studied the rest of the draft to make a comment on your other moves.

According to Draftek.com our current first three rounds are looking like:

R1. Brandon Schereff, OG/OT

R2. Brett Hundley, QB

R3. Ty Montgomery, WR

Top 5 pick on a guard?

Not to make light of the importance of the OL, but it's a puss move to burn a pick that high on positions very replaceable elsewhere in the draft, or FA, virtually every season. Especially when one considers the 2 positions they have us jumping on with our next 2 picks. JMO.

Doubt Justin Houston gets out of KC... but i like idea. No on Mariota. we need to break the cycle of abuse here. Yes to grayson, you groom him behind locker/smith in your scenario.

...and gimme DGB any day of the week. In fact, i'll give up my first born for that man.

Top 5 pick on a guard?

Not to make light of the importance of the OL, but it's a puss move to burn a pick that high on positions very replaceable elsewhere in the draft, or FA, virtually every season. Especially when one considers the 2 positions they have us jumping on with our next 2 picks. JMO.

Career Recap: After redshirting in 2010, Scherff started to see the field in 2011 as a rotational player. He played left guard and ended up starting a few games that season. 

Scherff won the starting left tackle spot in 2012 and hasn't given it up. He has been a durable and reliable blocker for the Hawkeyes. As a junior, Scherff really took his game to another level. He was a dominant run-blocker for Iowa and a solid pass-protector. Scherff could have contended to be a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, but he decided to return for his senior year. 

(6-5, 315) 

Skill-Set Summary: Some pundits have stated that Scherff is candidate to be the No. 1 overall prospect for the 2015 NFL Draft. It is understandable as Scherff is a road-grading run-blocker. If he can prove that he has the skills to be an elite pass-protector, Scherff could prove to be worthy of consideration as a franchise left tackle. 

There is no doubt that Scherff is tremendously strong. He has great weight-room strength that translates to the football field. Scherff is a powerful drive blocker who has shown the ability to push defenders around like they are on roller skates. He pushes them off the ball and can put linemen in the turf with pancake blocks. Scherff is so strong, he has drive blocked defenders using only one arm. While Scherff is extremely powerful, he is quick for his size and fires off the snap. Scherff has the ability to get to blocks on the second level and hit kick-out blocks. 

For the NFL, the senior can continue to improve his standing by showing his ability handle speed rushers. That will be somewhat difficult considering his schedule, but he has the best opportunity he could ask for with Gregory in the regular-season finale. Scherff could also play in the Senior Bowl if he chooses to take on the challenge of other speed rushers. 

If Scherff were to struggle with Gregory and speed rushers, at worst, Scherff could be a starter at guard or right tackle. He could be a first-rounder even if teams believe he would fit better at those spots. 

Career Recap: After redshirting in 2010, Scherff started to see the field in 2011 as a rotational player. He played left guard and ended up starting a few games that season. Scherff won the starting left tackle spot in 2012 and hasn't given it up. He has been a durable and reliable blocker for the Hawkeyes. As a junior, Scherff really took his game to another level. He was a dominant run-blocker for Iowa and a solid pass-protector. Scherff could have contended to be a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, but he decided to return for his senior year. 

(6-5, 315) 

Skill-Set Summary: Some pundits have stated that Scherff is candidate to be the No. 1 overall prospect for the 2015 NFL Draft. It is understandable as Scherff is a road-grading run-blocker. If he can prove that he has the skills to be an elite pass-protector, Scherff could prove to be worthy of consideration as a franchise left tackle. 

There is no doubt that Scherff is tremendously strong. He has great weight-room strength that translates to the football field. Scherff is a powerful drive blocker who has shown the ability to push defenders around like they are on roller skates. He pushes them off the ball and can put linemen in the turf with pancake blocks. Scherff is so strong, he has drive blocked defenders using only one arm. While Scherff is extremely powerful, he is quick for his size and fires off the snap. Scherff has the ability to get to blocks on the second level and hit kick-out blocks. For the NFL, the senior can continue to improve his standing by showing his ability handle speed rushers. That will be somewhat difficult considering his schedule, but he has the best opportunity he could ask for with Gregory in the regular-season finale. Scherff could also play in the Senior Bowl if he chooses to take on the challenge of other speed rushers. If Scherff were to struggle with Gregory and speed rushers, at worst, Scherff could be a starter at guard or right tackle. He could be a first-rounder even if teams believe he would fit better at those spots. 

That high in the draft I think should be (ideally) filled by playmakers. Particularly on a team like the Jets who so sorely lack them.

That high in the draft I think should be (ideally) filled by playmakers. Particularly on a team like the Jets who so sorely lack them.

So, Amari Cooper?  That's the only skill player linked that high.  I think a well-versed OL would fit in just fine. 

So, Amari Cooper?  That's the only skill player linked that high.  I think a well-versed OL would fit in just fine.

Oh, no no no. I'm too cowardly to name a player before the draft. Ask me halfway through the 2017 season who we should have taken. :)

Seriously, though, I hardly watch any college ball so I'll leave the prospect rankings to others. I'm more speaking in general terms that a top 5 pick (in or around the top 5) should be for the type of player or the type of role a team can't just pick up in FA or throughout the draft pretty much any season. The historical fact that a top 5 OT is so much more likely to be great at his job than the average OT found later in the draft, or the reasonable type of veteran likely to see free agency, is not enough justification for me. 

A guard may be the best player in college ball, and the best prospect in the entire draft (relative to anyone else we'd have playing his position). And there would never be justification for taking a guard #1 no matter how great his future is forecasted to be. Even around #5 overall is too close to #1 to consider there either. He'd have to be an all-time great first-ballot HOFer (which is not predictable anyway) to have been worthy of that pick with the benefit of 10+ years of hindsight.

(following up my other response above) 

It's about team economics: there's a certain amount of resources to put together a winner. So much cap room and so many draft picks (and so few of those draft picks being high picks).

The (veteran) contract for the top guard in the game in 2015 still will make roughly the same per year that the Jets offered to Chad Pennington over 10 years ago (following a less than stellar 2003 season - actually half season - which itself followed getting exposed somewhat vs Oakland in the 2002 playoffs). The salary cap was $80M back then, compared to the current $130M-plus (soon to be $140M+). But one can get a top-ranked FA guard, if one wants, almost on-demand every March. A 2004-Pennington (or today's fools-gold equivalent) doesn't typically hit free agency at any price, and if he did he'd get in the $15M/year range; millions more than even a truly great guard, ILB, etc.

So looked at that way, a team would be better off taking what would be a high-dollar, if not somewhat irreplaceable, position player in free agency (QB, pass rushing DE/OLB, CB, or a unique game-changer type at WR because they just aren't typically available in free agency at any price). On paper, they'd be better off doing that in the draft and paying $15M/year for a pair of guards found in free agency.

Now, of course, the draft has to be strong at those positions as well. But with the current rookie salaries, even at the top of the draft, this is the way to take a shot on such a player without crippling the franchise for 3 seasons: even the #1 pick is still a low-enough contract (about $5M/year) for the team to walk away from at will and easily recover from financially, if they're lucky enough that a viable replacement is available in free agency or they pick at the top of a subsequent draft where a QB is a sensible pick. It's not like it used to be, like with epic busts like Leaf or Russell (or relative busts like Sanchez). They made too much for the team to recover from, and had to pin their hopes for 2-3 seasons in a row that the prospect would turn the corner and be what they saw in him as a pre-draft prospect. The same bad QB drafted in round 4 is easy to walk away from and frankly wouldn't even see the field in the first place until beating out a starter-worthy veteran or higher pick.

Basically this: when it's our turn at around picks 4-6, if the value picks are guard (or guard/tackle 'tweener), ILB/MLB, safety, then I prefer we trade down. Even if the value is poor (chart-wise), it's still better value than taking the difference-maker you really want too early, plus we'll get another good pick or more on top of that.

For all intents and purposes, Scherff would be a tackle for the Jets. He'd probably be a guard here for a year or two because there's no real cap benefit to cutting Giacomini and Ferguson will likely be sticking around as well (again, no cap benefit to cutting him). But anyone they'd draft in the top 6 would be with the intention of that guy being a long-term left tackle - which is probably something the Jets could use. 

Should be a lot of moving and shaking with the tackles - Iowa guys always are valued high right around now and then tumble to the mid-late first. One or two players who are more athletic or surprise early entries should emerge as top 10 guys, but who knows. 

My guess right now would be that they'll infuriate everyone and draft an edge rusher - but who knows, maybe they'll be off the board.

Perrish Cox-Milliner-McDougle-Walls-Adams-Williams would still be crazy thin at CB.  Cox is a vet min guy and Milliner and McDougle are coming off the kind of signifcant injuries that usually mean a guy is not coming back to full strength right away, if at all.  To top that off, they were both questionable when healthy.  They need another CB.  An NFL CB. 

Why use a top 10 pick on a Guard when we can sign Iupati?

We need a QB desperately.  I'm praying Winston slips to us but I think Tampa is going to draft him if they're picking ahead of us.

Why use a top 10 pick on a Guard when we can sign Iupati?

We need a QB desperately. I'm praying Winston slips to us but I think Tampa is going to draft him if they're picking ahead of us.

Scherff can play OT or OG, and picking a tackle that high isn't unheard of, nor would it prevent free agent signings like Iupati.

In fact, aiming for a DOMINANT o-line like that would do wonders for our entire team.

Scherff can play OT or OG, and picking a tackle that high isn't unheard of, nor would it prevent free agent signings like Iupati.

In fact, aiming for a DOMINANT o-line like that would do wonders for our entire team.

Great post. Mariota #1 is out of reach, Winston #2 to Bucs,  Jags will pick best defensive player at #3, Raiders will grab Cooper at #4.  At #5  trade back, get an extra pick and we could still grab this guy and it would be a great pick.  He's projected to go #12 to the Rams.  This is what the Cowboys did last year. They fortified their O Line, protecting Romo and running Murray to the tune of a possible 2 G season.  Football is still won in the trenches.  This move would allow counter moves as well....we could trade DBrick and open up even more cap space and grab an extra pick. DBrick has seen better days.    

Great post. Mariota #1 is out of reach, Winston #2 to Bucs,  Jags will pick best defensive player at #3, Raiders will grab Cooper at #4. 

Oh man I'm rosterbating right now I hope you're right and Cooper falls to us at 4.  There was no way Coops would have fallen to 6 but 4 is realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Career Recap: After redshirting in 2010, Scherff started to see the field in 2011 as a rotational player. He played left guard and ended up starting a few games that season. 

Scherff won the starting left tackle spot in 2012 and hasn't given it up. He has been a durable and reliable blocker for the Hawkeyes. As a junior, Scherff really took his game to another level. He was a dominant run-blocker for Iowa and a solid pass-protector. Scherff could have contended to be a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, but he decided to return for his senior year. 

(6-5, 315) 

There is no doubt that Scherff is tremendously strong. He has great weight-room strength that translates to the football field. Scherff is a powerful drive blocker who has shown the ability to push defenders around like they are on roller skates. He pushes them off the ball and can put linemen in the turf with pancake blocks. Scherff is so strong, he has drive blocked defenders using only one arm. While Scherff is extremely powerful, he is quick for his size and fires off the snap. Scherff has the ability to get to blocks on the second level and hit kick-out blocks. 

For the NFL, the senior can continue to improve his standing by showing his ability handle speed rushers. That will be somewhat difficult considering his schedule, but he has the best opportunity he could ask for with Gregory in the regular-season finale. Scherff could also play in the Senior Bowl if he chooses to take on the challenge of other speed rushers. 

If Scherff were to struggle with Gregory and speed rushers, at worst, Scherff could be a starter at guard or right tackle. He could be a first-rounder even if teams believe he would fit better at those spots. 

I would take him first round in a minute then Tre from Florida State in the 3rd, people forget one of our most successful years we had Faneca, Woody, Mangold, and Brick all first rounders and it showed me MAULED TEAMS back then.  Every team right not that wins the super bowl has a damn good O Line when are people going to get it?  Kudos sir

Archived