Could Woody be fined by the NFL for tampering on the Revis comments?

joewilly12

Also consider that the NFL wants owners/coaches/players to openly communicate with fans as part of the PR process. Woody was doing exactly what the NFL wants by addressing Jets fans. He f*cked up and said something he shouldn't, but he was doing exactly what the NFL wants him to do. 

The league will probably remind him of the league guidelines on tampering, slap him on the wrist and move on. Punishing the Jets only makes for a less competitive NFL and that's not what Roger wants.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

huh, why? What did the niners/bears tampering have to do with lance briggs re-signing with the bears.  They made the niners swap 3rds with the bears, plus they had to give up a 5th. And this was not for a HOF player and for a team that he was previously on and a division rival.

Quit your crying. You're being ridiculous. I love these guys that are supposed fans of the Cheating Pats* but spend their life here.

The two situation share no similarities. The 49ers actively contacted Briggs' agent while he was still under contract whereas Woody was speaking in a public forum and likely didn't realize that what he was saying was wrong.

My guess is that Goodell will take Woody's incompetence and intent into consideration when considering punishment.

Woody will tell Goodell, honestly, that he was just saying nice things about Revis even though he would never in a million years consider resigning him. He misspoke, but he wasn't tampering.

Exactly.  The Jets are not capable of effecting the Pats ability to retain Revis in 2015, hence it cannot be tampering.  Only the Pats can "tamper" with engaging a team existing contractual option year.

There will be no fine.

What does a contractual year have to do with it. When Woody was warned last year on tampering regarding Deshean Jackson who had years left on his eagles contract. Why does it matter if the guy has only one year left and that being a balloon year to force a negotiation. He said in the presser that he was familiar with the contract that he signed with the pats and would have took him for that. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

ack then, of course, the Green Bay Packers filed tampering charges against the Vikings for former coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell's contact with Brett Favre while the quarterback was weighing his options during the summer of 2008. Favre eventually decided to play, was traded to the New York Jets and wound up with the Vikings a year later, but the NFL dismissed the Packers' tampering claim on the grounds that neither Favre nor the Vikings were soliciting one another. 

Were the Vikings to file tampering charges against the Cowboys, they might have a stronger case to make because of Jones' on-the-record confirmations that Peterson expressed interest in playing for the Cowboys and the owner did not report the conversation to the Vikings. But as far as we know, it's not as though Peterson told Jones to trade for him this season, or Jones promised Peterson a job if he should ever leave Minnesota. 

Quit your crying. You're being ridiculous. I love these guys that are supposed fans of the Cheating Pats* but spend their life here.

I am not crying about it, just discussing what it and what is not tampering. I have no influence on what godell does. I did not write the rule that even gives an example of what not to say in a presser and then have an owner that does exactly that.  And he was told just last spring not to say such things when he spoke and said that he would be ok with bringing Deshean Jackson in when he was a member of the eagles and they were rumors he might be cut as the eagles were trying to get him to renegotiate a better deal. 

This does set a bad precedent  if he is allowed to do this every 6 months.

Exactly.  The Jets are not capable of effecting the Pats ability to retain Revis in 2015, hence it cannot be tampering.  Only the Pats can "tamper" with engaging a team existing contractual option year.

There will be no fine.

Except that's not really true.

Look, on the one hand I agree with you in that we all know he wasn't intentionally tampering (or giving him the extreme benefit of the doubt).

But he is under contract with another team. That team will, as everyone knows, have to re-enter contract discussions with Revis because his dollars for next year are as phony as can be.

Revis, and his agents, knowing that Woody Johnson would be interested in signing him, can absolutely have that affect how flexible he is with Kraft/BB in February. It suggests, however inadvertently, that there would be someone else interested in him should the Pats let him go, and it's his old team. That there will be, or could be, a bidding war. That a number the Patriots offer, and Revis accepts, could or would be exceeded by the Jets.

So it's tampering. I have little doubt that it was totally unplanned and unintentional, and the likelihood is Goodell will let it drift, but by the letter of the rule it absolutely is tampering.

Completely empty-headed of Woody, and it's his responsibility to know better by now, a decade and a half into owning this team. Just moronic.

Woody Johnson tampers with Darrelle Revis
Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
AP

Yes, it would be a very good idea for Jets owner Woody Johnson to surrender the keys to the car. Or, at a minimum, to learn how to properly drive it.

In his Monday press conference regarding the decision to fire coach Rex Ryan and G.M. John Idzik, Johnson committed a textbook tampering violation regarding Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“Darrelle is a great player, and if I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for [what the Patriots paid], I probably would’ve taken him,” Johnson said, via the Boston Herald. “And it was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle is a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

Revis remains the property of the Patriots, who signed him to a two-year contract after Revis was cut by the Buccaneers. The large salary and cap number for 2015 will compel a renegotiation; Revis now knows that he has an alternative and, in turn, leverage in his coming talks with the Patriots.

From the league’s anti-tampering policy: “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: ‘He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.’)”

Said Johnson in a press conference: “Darrelle is a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

The league, via the Herald, has no comment on the situation. It’s unknown whether the Patriots plan to file formal tampering charges.

Regardless of what happens next, it’s clear that Johnson violated the policy as written.

Except that's not really true.

Look, on the one hand I agree with you in that we all know he wasn't intentionally tampering (or giving him the extreme benefit of the doubt).

But he is under contract with another team. That team will, as everyone knows, have to re-enter contract discussions with Revis because his dollars for next year are as phony as can be.

Revis, and his agents, knowing that Woody Johnson would be interested in signing him, can absolutely have that affect how flexible he is with Kraft/BB in February. It suggests, however inadvertently, that there would be someone else interested in him should the Pats let him go, and it's his old team. That there will be, or could be, a bidding war. That a number the Patriots offer, and Revis accepts, could or would be exceeded by the Jets.

So it's tampering. I have little doubt that it was totally unplanned and unintentional, and the likelihood is Goodell will let it drift, but by the letter of the rule it absolutely is tampering.

Completely empty-headed of Woody, and it's his responsibility to know better by now, a decade and a half into owning this team. Just moronic.

Which is exactly my take, If woody is fined or the jets punished it will only be because this is the 2nd infraction in one year but I know the guy is not the brightest bulb, when having all the money in the world and you can only get into a state school 1/2 way across the country.

Which is exactly my take, If woody is fined or the jets punished it will only be because this is the 2nd infraction in one year but I know the guy is not the brightest bulb, when having all the money in the world and you can only get into a state school 1/2 way across the country.

Arizona is half way?

Woody Johnson tampers with Darrelle Revis

Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
AP

Yes, it would be a very good idea for Jets owner Woody Johnson to surrender the keys to the car. Or, at a minimum, to learn how to properly drive it.

In his Monday press conference regarding the decision to fire coach Rex Ryan and G.M. John Idzik, Johnson committed a textbook tampering violation regarding Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“Darrelle is a great player, and if I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for [what the Patriots paid], I probably would’ve taken him,” Johnson said, via the Boston Herald. “And it was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle is a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

Revis remains the property of the Patriots, who signed him to a two-year contract after Revis was cut by the Buccaneers. The large salary and cap number for 2015 will compel a renegotiation; Revis now knows that he has an alternative and, in turn, leverage in his coming talks with the Patriots.

From the league’s anti-tampering policy: “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: ‘He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.’)”

Said Johnson in a press conference: “Darrelle is a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

The league, via the Herald, has no comment on the situation. It’s unknown whether the Patriots plan to file formal tampering charges.

Regardless of what happens next, it’s clear that Johnson violated the policy as written.

and jerry jones violated it, as did bevell

zzzzzzzzzzz

How far-fetched is it that Revis is a douche in renegotiating with NE and brings this up himself? "Look, I know for DAMN sure Woody Johnson will pay me if you don't want to." A player who said - however much I think it was BS - that he wanted to return to the Jets (even though his actions said the opposite, by only negotiating with NE ahead of getting cut by TB). Then, in the same calendar year, that owner says he'd love to have that player back? And said owner knows that said player isn't returning to NE under his current contract? He's a f*cking idiot.

I know he didn't mean anything by it, other than absolving himself while laying the entire Revis "blame" onto Idzik, but intent is not part of the anti-tampering rule. He said he'd be interested in a player who is under contract with NE, who they have to negotiate with in order to keep next season.

I think in the end it's the lack of obvious intent (or maybe obvious lack of intent) that will keep any possible penalty pretty minor. So NE's not getting our #6 overall pick, and probably not anything higher than we got from KC for Herm, if there is any at all. We'll probably get away with this because of this lack of intent. But still, it's just mindless of him. And it is tampering.

I thought Jim Dolan was inept but Woody really takes the cake.  No wonder this organization will never again win a Super Bowl.

How the f*ck do you publicly state you're going after Revis months before FA even begins?  Why don't we just tell New England everything we're going to do in the offseason?

How far-fetched is it that Revis is a douche in renegotiating with NE and brings this up himself?

Revis was going to demand $17 mil per year with at least 4 years guaranteed after this season no matter what.  Pioli designed the contract for them to cut him after this season now the Patriots are going to just extend him thanks to inept Woody not being able to keep his mouth shut and TB12 coincidentally restructuring his deal the same day.

The Jets are doomed as long as this idiot is the owner.

more like - please don't file tampering charges!  Then he will tell kraft that he wont bid on Revis and then say so publicly so they both can be charged with collusion.

I hope Goodell fines Woody.  Can they suspend Woody from having to do anything with the team like MLB did with Steinbrenner in the early 90's?

Revis was going to demand $17 mil per year with at least 4 years guaranteed after this season no matter what.  Pioli designed the contract for them to cut him after this season now the Patriots are going to just extend him thanks to inept Woody not being able to keep his mouth shut and TB12 coincidentally restructuring his deal the same day.

The Jets are doomed as long as this idiot is the owner.

I thought it was that NE wanted to spread some of the $ over 2 years as signing bonus, to count $7M instead of $11.5M in 2014, so they created the phony 2nd year. Revis only wanted a 1 year deal, though. So if NE wants him for year 2 without renegotiating, they have to pay him $27M or something stupid like that. This will never happen, so it's effectively a 1 year deal.

BUT NE gets exclusive negotiating rights until some new year 2 money kicks in (just read it's a $12M roster bonus on April 1, but they have to decide on it while still in the 2014 season that runs thru the end of Feb). Point is they have just under a month, from the Monday after the superbowl (Feb 2nd) through Feb 28th to reach a new agreement with Revis (and other players with expiring deals or deals that need to be reworked pre-March).

If NE runs into trouble extending him, and if he cites Woody's Dec 29th interest in him, then NE would be correct in feeling the Jets tampered with their under-contract player. It may mean that he's off limits to the Jets unless NE absolutely doesn't want to re-sign him and never makes him a competitive, formal offer.

Do I care if Johnson gets fined? No, it's not my money. What it is doing though is distracting the Patriots when their focus should be on playing their next game, instead from what I understand is Woody Johnson's quote is plastered all over the Patriots locker room and the topic of conversation is all about the Jets. It's really a genius move by the Jets' mastermind, the Patriots will only be thinking about one thing and NOT about playing football.

Do I care if Johnson gets fined? No, it's not my money. What it is doing though is distracting the Patriots when their focus should be on playing their next game, instead from what I understand is Woody Johnson's quote is plastered all over the Patriots locker room and the topic of conversation is all about the Jets. It's really a genius move by the Jets' mastermind, the Patriots will only be thinking about one thing and NOT about playing football.

They have the bye and won't be practicing this week.  BB does not even know who to prepare for yet.

Are you serious?

Do you really think comments from one of the dumbest owners in the NFL will distract the Pats from a playoff game 2 weeks from now?

I thought it was that NE wanted to spread some of the $ over 2 years as signing bonus, to count $7M instead of $11.5M in 2014, so they created the phony 2nd year. Revis only wanted a 1 year deal, though. So if NE wants him for year 2 without renegotiating, they have to pay him $27M or something stupid like that. This will never happen, so it's effectively a 1 year deal.

BUT NE gets exclusive negotiating rights until some new year 2 money kicks in (just read it's a $12M roster bonus on April 1, but they have to decide on it while still in the 2014 season that runs thru the end of Feb). Point is they have just under a month, from the Monday after the superbowl (Feb 2nd) through Feb 28th to reach a new agreement with Revis (and other players with expiring deals or deals that need to be reworked pre-March).

If NE runs into trouble extending him, and if he cites Woody's Dec 29th interest in him, then NE would be correct in feeling the Jets tampered with their under-contract player. It may mean that he's off limits to the Jets unless NE absolutely doesn't want to re-sign him and never makes him a competitive, formal offer.

It was both Sperm. Pats get to spread Revis's bonus cap hit over 2 years on what was ess

entially a one year deal.

Before Woody opened his stupid rich kid mouth the odds of Revis's reupping with the pats was 50/50 at best. Now it's probably 90/10

Woody has too much pharma money in the trust fund for a fine to mean anything to him. If Goodell has any balls he'd exile that dumb f-ck for a couple years while Casserly rebuilds the organization

Are you serious?

Do you really think comments from one of the dumbest owners in the NFL will distract the Pats from a playoff game 2 weeks from now?

No but it was a helluva coincidence Brady restructured his deal the same day so the pats can now fit Revis's in under next years cap. The jets are never winning anything as long as Woody owns the team the guy is incredibly inept and meddles way too much.

Are you serious?

Let's put it this way; I'm as serious as the Pats fans (yourself included) who like to laugh at the Jets fans and who unlike "Pats fan Nation" are there regardless of how bad the team has been will be and who wait ever patiently for Brady's career and half the "Nation" to also disappear. I really thought you were a little more savvy than to even have to ask that first question.

Archived