Lupica: Rich Kotite comes to mind when thinking of Doug Marrone

JOJOTOWNSELL

Tom Brady is turning 38. Hes gone soon. 

We are top 5 in cap room. 

Top 6 draft pick. 

Our Dline is top 5 in the league and all 26 years old or under. 

Our Lockerroom has no issues

Most HC jobs that are available include dealing with a sh*tty QB situation but besides that this is a excellent job that will be coveted morso then the media and fans realize. We can do ALOT better then Doug Marrone - Who I agree would be a TERRIBLE hire. 

Brady has already said he's playing until he sucks.  Brett Favre played until he was 41 - Brady has similar durability and is aging better as a player at this stage.  Enjoy watching him for another 4-5 years.

There's nothing desirable about the Jets job other than the money and apparently Woody wants to cheap out in that aspect.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking prior to Kotite's hiring by the Jets.

Absolutely seriously. Jesus Christ, this is a guy with a 15-17 record. Kotite had playoff teams in Philly. Yes, Kotite in Philly was unequivocally more successful than Marrone in Buffalo and that's not really even debatable.

Kotite had an incredibly talented roster in Philly.  Marrone had a mediocre roster at best.

I'm not a big Doug Marrone fan but I don't see how he's "worse than Kotite."

Tom Brady is turning 38. Hes gone soon. 

We are top 5 in cap room. 

Top 6 draft pick. 

Our Dline is top 5 in the league and all 26 years old or under. 

Our Lockerroom has no issues

Most HC jobs that are available include dealing with a sh*tty QB situation but besides that this is a excellent job that will be coveted morso then the media and fans realize. We can do ALOT better then Doug Marrone - Who I agree would be a TERRIBLE hire

Actually Falcons,Bears(Even though I don't like Cutler) and 49'ers all have pretty decent QB's the Jets are the exception but I agree we would be marooned with Marrone..shame.gif

Bears have a qb. We don't. Even with all his baggage Cutler is a way better player than Geno or whatever scrub we can sign in free agency.

They don't. He's brutal and is killing their cap. Overall these 2 teams are very similar right now.

Kotite had an incredibly talented roster in Philly. Marrone had a mediocre roster at best.

Not saying he's a worse coach than Kotite, but who is?

Just saying that Kotite's pre-Jet resume is better than Marrone's.

Kotite had an incredibly talented roster in Philly.  Marrone had a mediocre roster at best.

I agree about Philly and Kotite but Marrone had a great D and that Offense wasn't too bad either..

Well, if Doug Marrone had a roster anywhere near as talented as what Kotite had in Philly he'd probably have the better resume.

Oh, I forgot the 2015 Jets are like the 2007 Patriots and 1985 Bears rolled into one uber-talented megateam.

Bills have more talent than we do.

One more thing......I may not agree with everything Lupica says (especially political) but the guy is no where near the Jets basher that the beat guys are.  Ive been reading his columns since I'm 14 years old and he is pretty fai

Lupica's problem is he doesn't know sh*t about sh*t.  Just like 95% of the NY Sports media.

Bears have a qb. We don't. Even with all his baggage Cutler is a way better player than Geno or whatever scrub we can sign in free agency.

On and off the field, the Bears are a sh*theap of a franchise right now. Assuming you can get some sort of ironclad guarantee that Woody will keep his grubby little mitts out of football ops (a big if), the Jets job is significantly more attractive.

No I was simply stating fact and saying Kotites best season with the Eagles was without Cunningham..Another fact is Orton has better stats then Sanchez...LOL

Kotite's best season was '92 ... 11-5 and a Wildcard win.

Cunningham tore his ACL on opening day in '91.

Kotite was a completely incompetent head coach in Philly.  Randall Cunningham used to draw up his own plays in the huddle because Kotite had no idea what he was doing.  I'm not saying Marrone is the next Belichick or that I even like the move but comparing Marron who is at least a competent HC to a totally incapable one is just dumb.

Who cares what Lupica thinks?  He doesn't know d*ck about football.

Kotite's Eagles were 10-6 (without Cunningham), 11-5 + Wildcard, 8-8, and 7-9.

Marrone is 15-17 with Bills, no playoffs.

Lupica's points are all valid.

Seriously?

Kotite's records trended downward. Marrone's trend upwards.

Kotite left his 2 teams in worse condition. Marrone left his two in better position.[1]

Hess didn't interview anyone else when he hired Kotite.[2] Woody, obviously is

Other than that yeah this is just like Kotite.

1. Yeah, he left Buffalo at a swanky-danky 9-7 after a minimal sized sample of two seasons. (rolleyes)

2. Not mentioned in the article: Kotite was a Jets coach for 7 years in the 80s. 

So the backup qb who never even played had a worse effect than the owner once again meddling in the gm/head coach search??

I will go back to parcels leaving the team once woody bought it.....parcells is no fool

Parcells left because he spent to the cap limit and knew there was hell to pay , he rode off to the next hopless situation so that he could be viewed as the white knight again.  And just how is an owner meddling in the GM search , who else is supposed to hire the GM ??? Woody brought in consultants to help him find the right guys but ultimately its his hire to make.

Parcells left because he spent to the cap limit and knew there was hell to pay , he rode off to the next hopless situation so that he could be viewed as the white knight again.  And just how is an owner meddling in the GM search , who else is supposed to hire the GM ??? Woody brought in consultants to help him find the right guys but ultimately its his hire to make.

Some are comparing Jim Harbaugh to what Parcells used to do..Short term coaching and then moving on. They also said he will turn around Michigan and then head back to the NFL... All his coaching jobs were 3-4 years so far..

1. Yeah, he left Buffalo at a swanky-danky 9-7 after a minimal sized sample of two seasons. (rolleyes)

2. Not mentioned in the article: Kotite was a Jets coach for 7 years in the 80s.

Roll your eyes all you want. The comparison is laughable.

Seriously?

Kotite's records trended downward. Marrone's trend upwards.

Kotite left his 2 teams in worse condition. Marrone left his two in better position.

Hess didn't interview anyone else when he hired Kotite. Woody, obviously is

Other than that yeah this is just like Kotite.

great post here

Yes, the 15-17 Doug Marrone, the architect of Buffalo's historic 26th ranked offense is far above such comparisons to a coach that was 8 games over .500 when we hired him.

In case you aren't old enough to have been around when Kotite was a coach look up "trending" in a dictionary.

Sorry if you don't understand.

Hess hired Kotite because he was suffering from dementia and Kotite was a friend of his family's.  Kotite had absolutely nothing to do with any success the Eagles had when he was there the guy was an empty suit head coach ask any Eagles fan or player from that time.  The Eagles had so much talent a 10 year old kid could have won games with that roster and that's pretty much what happened.

Kotite had Randall Cunningham in his prime.  Marrone had Kyle Orton.  Yeah fair comparison.

But Rex had Sanchez that in his very first season ended up throwing 12 TD and 20 int and still made it to the afcc, NO?  This is a cutthroat business and there is no excuse regarding personnel as some posters here blame Rex for not winning in despite of getting a roster with huge holes, especially at QB.  

In case you aren't old enough to have been around when Kotite was a coach look up "trending" in a dictionary.

Sorry if you don't understand.

He was in Buffalo for two years! Hard to say it's a "trend". Kotite's Eagles had a better record in his second season, too. And won a playoff game.

Roll your eyes all you want. The comparison is laughable.

They're both local boys who passed through the Jets organization and went on to become HCs elsewhere.

They both got involved with the Jets again, hence the comparison.

One just returned with more NFL experience and success (Kotite) than the other (Marrone). 

The voice of Westport, Connecticut midget sportswriters who have not physcially attneded any sporting event in some time that he allegedly covers in lieu cooking show appearances is heard from. Is there anything this man does not know-policing, politics, fine dining, football, auto repair, romance, ladies and gentlemen, the Daily News gives you thebon homme genius on all subjects that is Mike Lupica.No comments on his article, lest the rabble dilute the impact of such greatness.

Would hazard a guess that until 2 days ago Mike Lupica had no idea who or what Doug Marrone is.

Archived