Georgia Bulldogs hire Brian Schottenheimer as OC/QB Coach

Jetsfan80

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/bulldogs-tab-brian-schottenheimer-as-new-oc/njhtW/

Bulldogs tab Brian Schottenheimer as new OC
2:19 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2015 | Filed in: UGA

Veteran NFL coordinator and quarterbacks coach Brian Schottenheimer has been named Georgia’s new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, head coach Mark Richt announced Wednesday.

Schottenheimer has served as offensive coordinator with the St. Louis Rams the last three seasons after holding the same position with the New York Jets from 2006-2011. He has also held positions as quarterbacks coach with the San Diego Chargers (2002-05) and Washington Redskins (2001).

Earlier in his career, he held assistant coaching positions with Southern California (2000, tight ends), Syracuse (1999, receivers), Kansas City Chiefs (1998) and the Rams (1997) in his coaching debut under head coach Dick Vermeil. He also coached for his father, head coach Marty Schottenheimer, with the Redskins and Chiefs.

“I’m excited to have Brian join our coaching staff,” Richt said in a statement released by the school. “His NFL experience will be a perfect fit for how we like to play offensive football here at Georgia. He’ll be excellent in developing our players in both the running and passing games which will benefit them while they are at Georgia and for their future.”

Said Schottenheimer: “This is a great opportunity to become a Georgia Bulldog for both my career and my family. I’m thrilled to be part of an elite program with such national tradition and a great staff already in place. I look forward to working with young men and being a positive and significant influence on their lives as we develop them athletically, academically and socially.”

Schottenheimer was one of at least three candidates contacted about the job, which came available on Dec. 23 when Mike Bobo accepted the head coaching position at Colorado State. Former Florida offensive coordinator Kurt Roper and Georgia tight ends coach John Lilly, who served as interim coordinator in Bobo’s absence, also spoke to Richt about the position.

A native of Denver, Colo., Scholttenheimer is a former Florida Gators quarterback who served as a backup to Danny Wuerffel from 1994-96. He began his college career at Kansas. He graduated from Florida in 1997 with a degree in exercise and sports science.

Schottenheimer attended Blue Valley High School in Stillwell, Kan., where he quarterbacked his team to the Kansas Class 5A football championship as a senior in 1991. He earned first team all-state and honorable mention All-America honors throwing for 2,586 yards and 26 touchdowns in his career.

During his NFL career, Schottenheimer coached quarterbacks Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers in San Diego, Brett Favre and Mark Sanchez with the Jets, and Sam Bradford with the Rams.

Schottenheimer and his wife, Gemmi have a son, Sutton, and a daughter, Savannah.

Good news for all parties, I'd say.  Rams likely wanted him gone but couldn't fire him because of the nepotism BS in the NFL.  Mark Richt is on the hot seat for Georgia so Schottenheimer gets to slide into the "heir apparent" role if he does well with the offense.  He's a good fit for the college game.

Good news for all parties, I'd say.  Rams likely wanted him gone but couldn't fire him because of the nepotism BS in the NFL.  Mark Richt is on the hot seat for Georgia so Schottenheimer gets to slide into the "heir apparent" role if he does well with the offense.  He's a good fit for the college game.

Really it was Fischer leaving the cupboard bare in STL, having Sean Hill and Austin Davis as backups to Mr Injury Bradford.

He will get a chance to get to work with some real QBS in Ugga.

Really it was Fischer leaving the cupboard bare in STL, having Sean Hill and Austin Davis as backups to Mr Injury Bradford.

Shaun Hill is a fine backup.  Many JN posters wanted him to be Geno's backup here.  I agree that they should have drafted someone to beat out Austin Davis on the depth chart, but Hill would have likely been Bradford's replacement regardless. 

At least they didn't hand Bradford a giant contract extension before the season.  They had to know they'll have to address the position in a big way this offseason.

Congrats to Schotty.  I wonder if he made this move because of the rumors about STL going

to LA

Probably because he wasn't going to last as Rams OC beyond 2015 and the Rams fans were extremely displeased with him.  This move saves face and might actually be a better fit.  It also paves the way for hinm to one day be a college head coach.  All the buzz about his becoming a pro head coach died after his miserable stint with the Jets.  

Shaun Hill is a fine backup.  Many JN posters wanted him to be Geno's backup here.  I agree that they should have drafted someone to beat out Austin Davis on the depth chart, but Hill would have likely been Bradford's replacement regardless. 

Sean Hill is terrible and he got hurt in 1Q of 1st game, season was over right then and there

No. 

Sean Hill is terrible and he got hurt in 1Q of 1st game, season was over right then and there

News flash:  Nearly all backup QB's in the NFL are terrible.  That's why they're backups.  Hell, at least a third of the STARTING QB's in the NFL are terrible too. 

Who should they have gotten?  Sanchez?  After being the primary culprit for Schottenheimer losing his job at his previous stop?

News flash:  Nearly all backup QB's in the NFL are terrible.  That's why they're backups.  Hell, at least a third of the STARTING QB's in the NFL are terrible too. 

And they lost Hill real quickly as well, What OC is going to produce with combination of Austin davis and Hill, I am shocked they got as high as 28

You'd think with ALL the picks they stole from WashingDUMB for the great RG3 heist, they would have tried to take another QB. Austin Davis? Really?!

Yep, Blame has to lay with Fisher/GM, drafted Defense (like rexey) ignored Offense for most part

And they lost Hill real quickly as well, What OC is going to produce with combination of Austin davis and Hill, I am shocked they got as high as 28

Excuses, excuses.  Schottenheimer's entire NFL career.  What about the year before that?  And all the years with the Jets?  As has been said many times, it's possible to have sh*tty QB's and also be a sh*tty OC.

The guy works hard and seems like a solid person.  But he just has no awareness when it comes to adapting a gameplan, knowing when to simplify, or the pulse of his guys in the offensive unit.  This was especially apparent in that failure of a 2011 season. 

Excuses, excuses.  Schottenheimer's entire career.  What about the year before that?  And all the years with the Jets?  As has been said many times, it's possible to have sh*tty QB's and also be a sh*tty OC.

Well schott was only one to win with sanchez (2 AFC title games)

Excuses, excuses.  Schottenheimer's entire NFL career.  What about the year before that?  And all the years with the Jets?  As has been said many times, it's possible to have sh*tty QB's and also be a sh*tty OC.

The guy works hard and seems like a solid person.  But he just has no awareness when it comes to adapting a gameplan, knowing when to simplify, or the pulse of his guys in the offensive unit.  This was especially apparent in that failure of a 2011 season. 

Ummm all the Motion he used was to help Sanchez read a defense. Sanchez was clueless, he needed keys from Motion to diagnose Def. so getting to title game was an accomplishment.

It feels like just yesterday he and Rex were on Hard Knocks talking about what they would do with their Super Bowl rings.

I guess whatever they give out for the Outback Bowl will have to suffice.  Does it come with Outback gift certificates?  Now that he's maybe going to be in the same state as Rex again they can make some trips while Rex scouts a Georgia nose tackle.  Like old times!

At least they didn't hand Bradford a giant contract extension before the season.  They had to know they'll have to address the position in a big way this offseason.

They did draft Gilbert in the 6th last year

Archived