Jets New FO hires starting to trickle in

32EBoozer

Mike Maccagnan wants to bring aboard Rams scout Brian Heimerdinger to Jets front office, per source. Both worked together w/Texans #nyj per Mehta

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN Follow

Brian Heimerdinger is the son of former Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger (2005), who passed away a few years ago. #nyj

Adam Caplan         @caplannfl Follow

#Jets want to interview former #Raiders QB coach John DeFilippo for their QB job, per league source.

This day just gets better and better. John DeFilippo is the guy that has made Derek Carr look, in my opinion, like an actual franchise quarterback. Carr finished the year with 3,270 yards, 58.1% completion, 21 touchdowns, 12 interceptions, and 4 fumbles.

What's interesting is that DeFilippo was the assistant quarterbacks coach here, for the New York Jets, during Mark Sanchez's rookie year. Just to quote from DeFilippo's biography:

Last year, DeFilippo guided two young quarterbacks seeing their first significant playing time in the NFL in Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin. The young duo of Pryor (1,798 passing yards) and McGloin (1,547 passing yards) combined to throw for 3,345 yards on the year.

During his tenure at San Jose State, the Spartans ranked 23rd in the nation with 276.8 passing yards per game and jumped 32 places nationally in total offense from the previous year.

I would really like this hire if it goes through. DeFilippo is young, but he's had some decent success.

Mike Maccagnan wants to bring aboard Rams scout Brian Heimerdinger to Jets front office, per source. Both worked together w/Texans #nyj per Mehta

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN Follow

Brian Heimerdinger is the son of former Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger (2005), who passed away a few years ago. #nyj

Adam Caplan         @caplannfl Follow

#Jets want to interview former #Raiders QB coach John DeFilippo for their QB job, per league source.

Anyone scouting for the Rams is okay in my book. Interesting, not totally sure what to think of poaching Raiders coaches... didn't do much for us with Lal, but I'd like to be sold on the guy, anyone know anything about him?

Anyone scouting for the Rams is okay in my book. Interesting, not totally sure what to think of poaching Raiders coaches... didn't do much for us with Lal, but I'd like to be sold on the guy, anyone know anything about him?

Exactly what I was thinking. The Rams not only have added some very good players over the past couple of seasons(minus Austin) but they certainly have been brilliant at moving up and down in these drafts and acquiring additional picks.

Jets have NEVER been good at trading down and terrible at trading up!!

Maybe MacC can be a "Trader Mike...... Down"

It would be lovely if Casserly has helped put together a nucleus that will over take New England. That would be a bit of an "F U" to Belichick given his comment regarding Casserly some time back.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/16/7556821/charley-casserly-on-bowles-maccagnan-working-together

Charley Casserly On Bowles & Maccagnan Working Together

Charley Casserly has worked with both Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan, so he knows these gentlemen very well, and he has very little doubt that they will enjoy a successful working relationship as they are tasked with turning the New York Jets into a winner.

Speaking to the official Jets website on the hires, Casserly commented:

I never had a question that these two guys could mesh having known both of them, because I think that both of them are football first, they're humble guys, they understand teamwork is essential, they have the same core beliefs on what it takes to be successful as a football team, they're guys that football is the absolute most important thing to them, outside of their families. They don't look for publicity, they're grinders, and that's a football term for guys who work hard. So for me, it was an easy mesh because of what they were looking for in each other and I had no question that these two guys would mesh.

The whole process was a very interesting one. Due to league rules and time restraint, the Jets had no choice but to conduct interviews with both general managers and head coaches at the same time. In an ideal world, they would have interviewed for GM first and then allowed the GM to come in and take part in HC interviews.

However, Todd Bowles was interviewed before the Jets had decided on Maccagnan as the GM. On Bowles' second interview, Maccagnan was there, and I'm confident that was to ensure that both men took to each other as Woody and his consultants had hoped. Looking at the quote above, it seems as though both men were asked in their interview to explain their perfect HC or GM to work with, and when the answers matched up so well, there was very little fear that the two men would not get on.

Remember, the Jets have a new power structure in place. Instead of the head coach reporting to the general manager, who in turn reports to the owner, both the GM and HC will report directly to the owner. This means both men will be equal partners within the Jets, promoting unity.

I never understand the comments of not wanting a coach from a team with a bad record. Is that 1 coach responsible for train wreck? What if another team, say Cincinnati, signed Dunbar? So that fanbase would say "what a terrible hire, the Jets suck".

Cardinals release Mike Caldwell for Jets asst. head coach job

January 16th, 2015 7:27 pm

The Arizona Cardinals reportedly released LB coach Mike Caldwell from his contract so he could sign on as the Jets assistant head coach (Kent Somers, Jan. 16).

This comes just two days after Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles took over as head coach for the Jets.

Caldwell joins the Arizona coaching staff in 2013 after spending five years with the Philadelphia Eagles.

http://thejetsblog.com/

Archived