Andrew Luck

Villain The Foe

What people?

The people who consistently say that he's a top 3 top 5 qb in the league. They'll make statements like Name a QB outside of Rodgers and Brady thats better than Luck. When there's quite of few QB's better than him. This stuff just isn't on the forums here, but in football talk in general. There's a lot of people I hear that talk up this dude like he is really one of the best in the league like that. He really isn't. He's damn good, but he's not that. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this is imo is the problem for Luck. He's pretty much guaranteed 6 wins given his division and he'll get 4 or 5 wins from the rest of his schedule. Yet when he gets to the playoffs he's not playing Fitzpatrick, Bortles or whomever the hell is the Titans QB. He's playing the best of the best, and Luck is rarely playing good to great teams on a consistent basis. You dont get credit for beating a slap d_ck team like the Bengals. Just look at the teams the Colts have beaten in the playoffs. The broncos, with Manning. He's washed up and is the older version of Luck. The Chiefs who stopped playing the 2nd half and are not a consistent playoff team and the Bengals, who haven't won a playoff game since 1990. The two teams they lost to? Baltimore and New England twice. 

The difference here is that the three games where Luck played legit perennial playoff teams the dude folded like a book. In those three games Luck has thrown 2 TD's and 7INT's. Not having parts is one thing, playing poorly against the competition that fans compare him against is quite telling. 

i agree, he sucks in the playoffs as of now. but he is 3 years into his career. let's see how his career plays out over the next few years. i'm bullish on luck simply because i see a decline in the competition he will face in upcoming seasons. i'd like to see what he does with home-field, which the colts are VERY likely to get in the near future.

btw, not that it matters, but luck beat russell wilson the last time they played each other....;)

i agree, he sucks in the playoffs as of now. but he is 3 years into his career. let's see how his career plays out over the next few years. i'm bullish on luck simply because i see a decline in the competition he will face in upcoming seasons. i'd like to see what he does with home-field, which the colts are VERY likely to get in the near future.

btw, not that it matters, but luck beat russell wilson the last time they played each other.... ;)

I would say that Im bullish on Luck, just not bullish with Luck in that division. The only way Luck is going to win those playoff games is if he's being pressured like that in the reg. season. Teams like the Steelers and Ravens are tough teams to beat because they play one another in the reg season and really test one another. Who's testing the Colts in that division? No one is threatening that division. The closest team would be the Texans, but how many times will Watt play DE,DT,OLB,RB,WR,TE etc.? He can't be the entire team. Luck will get better as a player when he has better competition. Until then he'll continue to look bad in the playoffs. 

Their total defense was not 3rd in the league. They were 11th in yards, 19th in points. If your examples as to why the Colts roster isn't that Hilton and Moncrief, then yes, it is bad. Hilton is a nice receiver, but not a legit 1. He is elevated by Luck, not vice versa. Moncrief is a nice rookie, but he is hardly a major impact player at this time. Their OL is awful, RBs are awful and Defense and WRs are mediocre to slightly above average at best. The only reason they have a pulse is Luck, in addition to the division.

You're right about the total offense. I didnt change from post season to reg season. They're essentially a top 10 type defense however. Still respectable. 

As for your comment on Hilton and the Moncrief, this could also very well be true. But a lot of these wins that Luck is getting is also because he's in a division with the Texans, Jaguars and Titans. None of these teams have a QB, and the only team thats respectable are the Texans and thats more because JJ Watt is respectable. 

So when I see all these crazy numbers and all of these regular season wins, it dont mean sh*t because no other team is remotely close to even competing for that division. This is why when they get there and Luck plays more complete teams his stats look the way they do. 

So yes, the only reason why they have a pulse is because of luck and that terrible ass division that they can win every single year. But with that said, that doesnt make a guy who's pretty much guaranteed 6 division wins a year a top 3 QB. He doesnt play like one in the playoffs. 

I would say that Im bullish on Luck, just not bullish with Luck in that division. The only way Luck is going to win those playoff games is if he's being pressured like that in the reg. season. Teams like the Steelers and Ravens are tough teams to beat because they play one another in the reg season and really test one another. Who's testing the Colts in that division? No one is threatening that division. The closest team would be the Texans, but how many times will Watt play DE,DT,OLB,RB,WR,TE etc.? He can't be the entire team. Luck will get better as a player when he has better competition. Until then he'll continue to look bad in the playoffs. 

in the long run, assuming that the team around him gets better, i see him as the next drew brees. he will shred teams inside the dome, he won't be as good, but still decent on the road. he will have huge 5k yard passing, 40+ TD seasons. he will play easy schedules year in and year out, win lots of games as the traditional AFC powers get weaker. this is what i meant when i said he will dominate the AFC for the next decade. its hard to imagine Indy staying 11-5.

whether he WINS superbowls is the big question. a lot of things need to go your way for that to happen. but he will definitely get plenty of chances as a 1st or 2nd seed in the AFC.

Roethlisberger

Brees

Rivers

Wilson (even with his 4 ints, can't ignore his almost 1000 yards rushing and excellence in passing)

Tony Romo

Manning

Flacco

probably Stafford as well

I'll give you Roethlisberger. And Brees, just based on his track record, however Luck was better this season and I believe he will be better going forward.

The others? No effing way.

Is not a top 3 QB in the NFL, at least not yet. 

Russell Wilson? Top 5 quarterback. 

A shoe would be a top 5 QB on that Seahawks team with that running game, that O-Line and especially that defense. Luck would be the best QB in football if he played for the Seahawks. Wilson would be bench-worthy in Indy, average at best.

Yeah, its totally wrong to say that.

Because Brady will keep dominating until he is 55, the Pats don't suck at drafting skill positions like WR, the AFC East isn't going to improve at all.

Yup...you're right.  Brady won't play until 55.  But every year, guys like you say that they are ripe for the picking, but yet here they are again, in the Super Bowl.  This team will be contenders under Brady retires, its that simple.  And if Garropolo turns into a good QB, they will be tough to play again for years to come.

A shoe would be a top 5 QB on that Seahawks team with that running game, that O-Line and especially that defense. Luck would be the best QB in football if he played for the Seahawks. Wilson would be bench-worthy in Indy, average at best.

Marshawn Lynch was on the Hawks 7-9 team when Wilson was added they were a instant playoff team..

Marshawn Lynch was on the Hawks 7-9 team when Wilson was added they were a instant playoff team..

They were horrendous in '11. Couldn't run the ball, couldn't stop anybody on defense, coaching sucked, players stunk. That was hardly QB only related. It just wasn't a good team. A lot of things changed since then, they now have better QB play of course, better coaches all around, way better players, a great O-Line, a great running game and like I said, a great defense.

My point is just that anybody who can throw the ball would look good on that team. Russell isn't "anybody", he's good but he's no Luck. You put Luck on that team and again, he's the best QB in football. Wilson to me is barely top 10 material, he just has to rely too heavily on the running game and defense to help him out. Elite QB's don't need that. He screwed up so many times last night they should have lost at least 3 games that day. Instead the defense keeps them in the game a handful of times including those 2 goal line visits where they held up and didn't allow a touchdown. And then you have Lynch of course with that bigrun touchdown at the end of the game to put the Seahawks up. Luck doesn't have any of that. He makes one mistake the game is over. It's the exact opposite. Dare I say that even Geno Smith could have similar success in Seattle.

Lynch had 1204 yds on 285 carries 4.2 ypc and 12 tds

That's hardly great, barely over 4 yards per carry is pretty much average. And yes, Lynch did good but their running game itself sucked. Ranked 21st that year with 4.0 yards per carry, with a beast like Lynch running the ball. Imagine how bad that number would have been with a non-elite player at RB. A year later they were ranked 3rd.

I thought at the beginning of the game that the only way the Colts would have a chance in this game was if Luck ran for over a hundred yards.  It's wayyyyyyyy too early to start labeling Luck as one kind of player or another.  I don't think they are a particularity good football team outside of him and perhaps Hilton.  I'm not surprised that the pats killed them,

That's hardly great, barely over 4 yards per carry is pretty much average. And yes, Lynch did good but their running game itself sucked. Ranked 21st that year with 4.0 yards per carry, with a beast like Lynch running the ball. Imagine how bad that number would have been with a non-elite player at RB. A year later they were ranked 3rd.

Gee Jet fans loved Cumar's 3.5 ypc 1287 yds on 369 carries and 8 td's in 1998..LOL And a year later Wilson was the QB..

Seahawks OL got manhandled all the way down to 3:52 4th QTR.

Then they snapped out of their funk. 

If I'm starting a team tomorrow and I can pick any QB for the next 5-7 years to lead that team the only QB I pick over Luck is Rodgers. Luck would be the best QB in NY Jets history. Period. This thread is a bit crazy.

3 playoff wins in 3 years Sanchez had 4 in 2 years..LOL I agree Luck will be the next Super Star QB in the NFL..

The Wilson part.

Here's my top 5. 

Rodgers

Brady

Roethlisberger 

Eli Manning

Russell Wilson. 

The argument can be made that Joe Flacco can go at either #4 or #5 which would push Wilson to #6....which in the realm of personal opinion I could deal with that. Flacco has impressed me the past couple years and I'll give the guy his due. Some people also believe that Manning (Eli) isn't a top 5 quarterback. Thats just nonsense. 

Russell Wilson at #6 is pretty awesome and I could accept. #7 would be stretching it given that I simply cannot name 6 QB's that are playing right now that I'm able to say is better than Wilson and actually believe it. Andrew Luck simply doesnt crack the top 5. Popularity wise, dude is an ace. Games like last night, support my position. 

Whats your top 5?

Here's my top 5. 

Rodgers

Brady

Roethlisberger 

Eli Manning

Russell Wilson. 

The argument can be made that Joe Flacco can go at either #4 or #5 which would push Wilson to #6....which in the realm of personal opinion I could deal with that. Flacco has impressed me the past couple years and I'll give the guy his due. Some people also believe that Manning (Eli) isn't a top 5 quarterback. Thats just nonsense. 

Russell Wilson at #6 is pretty awesome and I could accept. #7 would be stretching it given that I simply cannot name 6 QB's that are playing right now that I'm able to say is better than Wilson and actually believe it. Andrew Luck simply doesnt crack the top 5. Popularity wise, dude is an ace. Games like last night, support my position. 

Whats your top 5?

Aaron Rodgers

Thomas Brady

Benny Roethlisberger 

Peyton Manning

Joe Flacco

Archived