Draft a QB/who, sign Vet FA QB, stand pat?

SouthernJet

Draft a QB/who, sign Vet FA QB, stand pat?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Draft a QB/who, sign Vet FA QB, stand pat?

• Draft Marriota
    • Draft Winston
    • Draft a QB in rounds 2 through 3
    • Draft a total sleeper QB rounds 4-7
    • Sign a Vet Free Agent QB to compete w/Geno
    • Stand pat, keep Geno/Simms, see what QBs get cut in camp
    • Other, trade valuable draft picks for existing non Free Agent NFL QB

It really doesn't matter.  There are no solutions out there.  In this league of non-parity, you either have one of the <<approximately 12 at this moment>> very good or better quarterbacks, or you do not.  If you do not, you will not be winning jack s**t.  I don't wanna hear anyone name drop Trent Dilfer, or Brad Johnson, or Joe Flacco (if for some reason you still don't think he's a very good quarterback), or even Mark Sanchez.  In today's league, this is the way it is.  The haves and the have nots.  At a time where the top 1% of the rich own 50% of the wealth, the top 33% of the NFL owns 100% of the Super Bowl capable quarterbacks.

There is no solution out there that will feasibly sniff that realm of "Very good or better" in the near or probably even long term future.  The best shot is probably Winston, and save for trading a bunch of draft picks to take a chance on a kid who seems to be an emotional ticking time bomb, we have no shot.  That being said -- a combination of Geno / Glennon / and a draft pick of someone like Mannion or Petty -- is probably the best way to position the team for 2015.  But, again, since none of those guys has any real shot of making it into the upper echleons of QB play.

I'm in a great mood today.

I understand the fan logic. The OC has the connection, and Kaep once ran all over Rex, but what do they intend to trade? I think Kaepernick is overrated, but he's still worth a first round pick. The Bills don't have a first round pick. Most of their talent is on the defensive side of the ball, and I can't imagine Rex green-lighting the trade of a talented defensive player. 

Rex would never trade any defensive player for something as unimportant and useless as a QB. :winking0001:

Brady - Luck

Manning - Brady

Flacco - Brady

Brady - Flacco

Roethlisberger - Sanchez

Manning - Sanchez

Roethlisberger - Flacco

Brady - Rivers

Manning - Brady

Roethlisberger - Plummer

Brady - Roethlisberger

Brady - Manning

The last 12 AFC CG's.  With the hilarious exceptions of Sanchez and Plummer (both losers), this should go to show that we have no effing chance without a cream of the crop QB (or until Brady retires)

Brady - Luck

Manning - Brady

Flacco - Brady

Brady - Flacco

Roethlisberger - Sanchez

Manning - Sanchez

Roethlisberger - Flacco

Brady - Rivers

Manning - Brady

Roethlisberger - Plummer

Brady - Roethlisberger

Brady - Manning

The last 12 AFC CG's.  With the hilarious exceptions of Sanchez and Plummer (both losers), this should go to show that we have no effing chance without a cream of the crop QB (or until Brady retires)

IMHO Brady retires if they win this game.

1. Sign a Veteran FA QB of the Kirk Cousins/Colt McCoy "Has Potential But Failed Thus Far" Variety.

2. Draft Sean Mannion, QB Oregon State, in the 4th/5th Round.  Negligible cost.

3. Retain Geno sh*t for one last season.

Going into 2015:  FA #1, Smith #2, Mannion #3

In 2016, we again Draft a QB.  High if circusmtances allow, mid-round again if not.

The FA or Mannion starts (best player playing the best), Geno is cut (because he will assuredly be the worst QB at that time), and the new pick is the #3.

Follow this every year till we find the guy, and then continue drafting QB's mid-late to develop every year or every other year.

Thats how I'd do it.

0 chance, SJ.

My thinking: His wife makes more than he does (fact). he loves golf and outdoor activities, says he wants to teach kids all that etc. He says he wants to maybe do media also.

Money zero issue, several SB rings, chance to go out a Champ AND guarantee he is healthy for retirement (no chance of serious injury in future) and no chance of horrid season and going out like Mickey Mantle with embarrasing play etc

We will see...

I would try to make a reasonable trade for Bradford. I think he can be good, and if he can stay healthy, big if, I think he could be a damn good QB, and he is young. If you can get him for a 3rd or 4th, I would do it in a heartbeat

2 problems with Bradford:

1. He's owed $13 million next season.

2. He's a twig and there's a possibility he may never see regular season action ever again.

2 problems with Bradford:

1. He's owed $13 million next season.

2. He's a twig and there's a possibility he may never see regular season action ever again.

I am not worried about the 13 million, it would likely get redone, and even if not, for one year the jets have enoguh cap to take the risk.

Yes, he seems to be made of glass, but that said, its possible he just had some bad luck. If he can stay healthy, I think he has more upside than any other available QB by a mile, and more than anyone draft able this year by the Jets

Leader so far of the brilliant JN posters is:

bullet_star_rated.png Sign a Vet Free Agent QB to compete w/Geno (14 votes [29.79%])

Sign one. Draft one.  We do not have a ton of picks, though.  Am I correct?  To me, there has to be a good wideout in the mix.  Decker missed time.  Harvin, if he is here, will miss time.  And Kerley has been virtually invisible, when he has not been hurt the last two years. So we better get another competent or better receiver. Draft: Wideout, pass rusher, QB, OL, and whatever.  Free Agency:  QB, guard, CB(s), one more LB and a safety and of course, a blocking TE..  I think we have 6 picks or something like that.  If we get 4 serviceable or better players from the draft that might be par for the course.  From what i saw, I don't think Marcus Williams would be terrible CB insurance. Then we see if Milliner and McDougle are actually healthy.  So we sign one guy (Maxwell) and maybe another who is on lower tier.  We need a free safety bad.  I don't know about you but I think Harris should go. I assume we are remaining 3-4.  Here is my final question:  I may be naive, but do you need a starting stud lineman when you run the 3-4?  Do you pay a guy 14 mill because he can occupy 2 blockers?  That seems like overkill to me.  I pay for sacks.  I go get a guy like Houston for crazy money, and I trade Will.

I'm in the huge minority. If Jameis and Mariota are gone, stand put with Geno. Despite Jet fan lore, Geno will beat out any FA they bring in barring an unlikely, unforeseen monster deal for an established QB. If they do end up with Mariota, he should sit for a year unless he exceeds every and all expectations during the preseason. In case of Jameies, just let them have a legit competition. IMO, the odds of Geno being the starter in September are about 60/40 in favor of him being the guy (purely a guess and based on nothing much). Prepare yourselves for that eventuality.

Brady - Luck

Manning - Brady

Flacco - Brady

Brady - Flacco

Roethlisberger - Sanchez

Manning - Sanchez

Roethlisberger - Flacco

Brady - Rivers

Manning - Brady

Roethlisberger - Plummer

Brady - Roethlisberger

Brady - Manning

)

All of them are pocket QBs not run all over the damn place or throw it up in the air and hope your team comes down with it.

I was all for Mariotta until I watched him against FSU.  A game that big and all I saw him do was throw about fifteen screen passes and then hit a few WIDE OPEN WR's down the field.  Didn't see more than one or two decent throws.  If you're gonna' be a top-10 QB, you gotta' show flashes of being an NFL QB.  Winston looked better than Mariotta in that game and I think he goes #1 to TB.

Archived