Which of the seven new NFL head coaches was the best hire ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Dan Quinn could finally accept the Atlanta Falcons' head-coaching job after Super Bowl XLIX, there were no more NFL vacancies.With the coaching carousel stopped (unless we get an unexpected firing this offseason), it's time to take a look at the seven teams that made a change, and figure out which team made the best hire. We're not just looking at the coach himself, but also if the team improved itself by firing its old coach and bringing in new blood:

7. Jim Tomsula, San Francisco 49ers

Tomsula might be the next Don Shula; I have no idea. But what we know now is this: The 49ers ran off Jim Harbaugh, who has been incredibly successful at every stop and a top 5 NFL coach, top 10 at worst. And they replaced him with a defensive line coach who has been a NFL head coach for one game, as an interim. There’s a lot to live up to there.

6. Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders

I felt bad for the Raiders fans when the “Jon Gruden will take the Raiders job! No, it’ll be Jim Harbaugh!” madness was happening. That was not realistic, but good job by their agents parlaying that into a lot of money for their clients. What the Raiders did get is a solid coach with a good reputation as a coordinator and some head-coaching experience (68-71 with the Jacksonville Jaguars, who have cratered since he was fired), and most important – Del Rio wanted the job. I’m not sure this was a grand slam hire or anything, but it was probably as good as the Raiders could have done.

5. Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons

I’m always a bit leery of just taking the coordinator from the top unit. It’s probably unfair to Quinn, but it’s also fair to wonder how he’ll do without Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wagner, Michael Bennett, K.J. Wright, Cliff Avril … you get the idea. His players love him, he came off very well during Super Bowl week, and he was a hot name. We’ll see if Atlanta made the right hire.

4. Gary Kubiak, Denver Broncos

it was hard to pick between Kubiak and Fox. Fox has had better success, but how much of that was due to John Elway landing Peyton Manning? Kubiak has been a tremendous coordinator through the years, and was a solid head coach in Houston. But we have to factor in if the move was an upgrade, and well, was it?

3. John Fox, Chicago Bears

While Fox had a ton of success with Manning, he also won division titles with Jake Delhomme and Tim Tebow at quarterback. So maybe he’s better suited to win with an average quarterback like Jay Cutler than we generally give him credit for. He could end up being a great hire if he fixes the Bears defense, but that might take a miracle.

2. Todd Bowles, New York Jets

I’m ranking Bowles ahead of two guys who have won 180 games between them as NFL head coaches. This is a bit of blind faith, but I believe. Bruce Arians got a lot of credit for the Cardinals’ success, and rightfully so, but what about the defensive coordinator who lost Darnell Dockett to injury, John Abraham to retirement, Daryl Washington to suspension and Karlos Dansby to free agency and kept rolling right along? His schemes are very creative, he has a dynamic personality – I just think he’s going to be a very good head coach.

1. Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills

I give Ryan the top spot for two reasons: I think Ryan is a heck of a coach, and Buffalo wasn’t the easiest sell. The Bills have no quarterback (prove me wrong, EJ Manuel!) and haven’t been to the playoffs this century. If you take that job, you're also entering a tough division. But they landed Ryan, a brilliant defensive Xs and Os coach who also is a good motivator. He was given a talent-poor roster the past few years with the Jets and did a pretty good job getting the most out of it. This was a really good hire for the Bills.

> http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/which-of-the-seven-new-nfl-head-coaches-was-the-best-hire--164437970.html

this is a homer post if there ever was one. Bowles as the 2nd best hire- Why? Because he was a good def co-od? They guy may very well turn out to be a great coach, but to pick him over Fox, who got a job 3 days after he was available is quite the stretch. Del Rio is another good head coach that was plagued by a bad FO and ownership.

Clayton's list is much closer to reality.

No,  I am not acknowledging my mistake.  I like Sanchez.  

Liking Sanchez is a monumental mistake.  It got Rex Ryan fired from his last job (the top reason among myriad other failures).  For our sake I'd hate to see the Bills go down that path.  We want Rex keeping that job as long as possible.

Liking Sanchez is a monumental mistake. It got Rex Ryan fired from his last job (the top reason among myriad other failures). For our sake I'd hate to see the Bills go down that path. We want Rex keeping that job as long as possible.

I am convinced that the Jets QB problems are not the picks of Sanchez and Geno but the incredibly bad development they received under Rex and staff.

Liking Sanchez is a monumental mistake. It got Rex Ryan fired from his last job (the top reason among myriad other failures). For our sake I'd hate to see the Bills go down that path. We want Rex keeping that job as long as possible.

I am convinced that the Jets QB problems are not the picks of Sanchez and Geno but the incredibly bad development they received under Rex and staff.

Who are you kidding APE? There aren't any thread that you do not insert your view on Rex.    :rl:  

Gaype is completely oblivious to his own actions, and lacks any self awareness whatsoever.  You can not become angered by this, it's better to just accept and understand that his species is simply incapable of it.

There's a test called the mirror test that researchers use to detect the level of self awareness different species have a different ages. Human children can generally recognize themselves in a mirror at about 18 months. Chimpanzees, our closest simian relative, can also recognize themselves, and are one of the few animals that can. Gorrilla's/Great Ape's on the other hand cannot recognize themselves, and in fact often react to their own image with hostility (which may explain other aspects of his psychology). So you see, an animal that cannot even hope to recognize his own reflection has no chance of understanding how his behaviors here are perceived by the rest of us.

I hope this information will aide you in all future interactions with our furry yet under-evolved little friend.

Gorilla: In 1982, mirror tests on two, zoo-reared gorillas failed to demonstrate self-recognition. The authors wrote "[These studies]...suggest that the gorilla may be the only great ape which lacks the conceptual ability necessary for self-recognition."[11] In 1993, a report was published that although six gorillas had previously failed to exhibit self-recognition, one individual that had been used extensively in cognition studies, Koko, had passed the mirror test (although without anaesthetic).[12] Western gorilla silverbacks react aggressively when shown a mirror in Gabon

I wonder how Sanchez would do under a great offensive coach like Chip Kelly, with weapons like Shady, Maclin, Sproles and Jordan Matthews surrounding him?  Oh.  Right.  Cost his team a shot at the playoffs.  Just like he did to us in 2011 and '12.

Sanchez sucked AND Rex sucked.  Geno sucks too.  We're a bad organization who typically hires bad coaches and drafts bad players, especially at the QB position.  Our hope is that Woody finally got it right this time with his new GM and HC, and that these 2 can fix our woes at the QB position with better talent evaluation and development.

But this argument that our QB's are actually good if given better circumstances is a tired and factually wrong one.  It's quite easy to tell that Sanchez and Geno are both awful at everything.  The longer you hold onto the other side of the argument, the longer you end up hoping the lousy results will flip when it just isn't going to happen.

Kellen had nothing to do with Rex and Mangini was not exactly the QB whisperer either

Exactly my point above.  Eric Mangini and Kellen Clemens sucked.  So did Herm Edwards and Chad Pennington.  We suck suck suck, and have always sucked ever since Parcells left.

Sanchez failing under Kelly broke my heart. Further evidence that you can't manufacture quarterbacks and, basically, you have to pray to sweet Jesus that one lands on your roster.

Yep.  Coaching does matter, and Rex's greatest sins here involved Sanchez.  But sometimes bad QB's are bad, and that's ok.  I have no idea why fans refuse to admit this about any one particular Jet QB until the bitter end. 

Sanchez failing under Kelly broke my heart. Further evidence that you can't manufacture quarterbacks and, basically, you have to pray to sweet Jesus that one lands on your roster.

yup !..that's why I'm hopin' / praying we can get connor cook in 2016   :character0181:

Yep. Coaching does matter, and Rex's greatest sins here involved Sanchez. But sometimes bad QB's are bad, and that's ok. I have no idea why fans refuse to admit this about any one particular Jet QB until the bitter end.

The sins of when he was winning road playoff games with him? Something the great Chip Kelly failed to do?

The sins of when he was winning road playoff games with him? Something the great Chip Kelly failed to do?

Those successes don't absolve him of the fact that he went 18-33 in his final 51 games.  If we'd have won a trophy of any kind those first 2 years maybe the most ardent Rex supporters still have a leg to stand on. 

I love the hire of Dan Quinn by the Falcons.  If there was ever a franchise that needed a quality head coach 

to turn them into contenders, its them.  That's the only one I have the balls to speculate on.  The other hires are

on teams with a million questions, and so do the coaches, so who knows?  If Michigan was on this list, I would

pick them.

We are talking about him with Sanchez...

Cool.  Then in that case he went 34-30 (4-2 playoffs), with no trophies.  He went 6-13 in his final 19, with no playoffs in '11 or '12.  He then proceeded to let the bottom drop out completely his final 2 years after Sanchez. 

He also signed off on Mark Sanchez's contract extension, which ultimately cost the franchise a chance at drafting Russell Wilson in '12.

Cool.  Then in that case he went 34-30 (4-2 playoffs), with no trophies.  He went 6-13 in his final 19, with no playoffs in '11 or '12.  He then proceeded to let the bottom drop out completely his final 2 years after Sanchez. 

He also signed off on Mark Sanchez's contract extension, which ultimately cost the franchise a chance at drafting Russell Wilson in '12.

34-30 with 4 road playoff wins?  Impressive! 

Which is why he was our coach for 6 years instead of 4. Cool! He's in the same category as Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini. Failures.

Wow you can bring the heat just like Tom. I am sensing scorch marks on somebody's buttocks again.

Archived