Sal Palantonio Post-Combine Comments

AFJF

I still don't understand why the Eagles would trade with us, a team that is beyond QB-needy. Why wouldn't they trade with Washington or a team that selects before the team sitting at six who needs a QB? Unless we make it crystal clear we have no interest in Mariota, I don't see how the eagles have any choice but to trade above us.

This is absolutely correct.  If Chip Kelly wants him that badly and is - as SalPal said -  "Willing to do whatever it takes to get him" - there's close to zero chance Philly waits until six to make that move. 

It's actually not a bad move for TN.  They like Mettenberger but would love an insurance policy in Foles, plus have a lot of holes to fix.  Getting two 1's, two 2's and throw in a 4th this year and Foles...That probably gets it done.  

I don't agree with the bold. I think it's entirely possible he doesn't like either of these QBs.

I do like that the Jets are a complete wildcard at #6. If Mariota's there, QB, OLB, or WR all make a lot of sense. I do agree that there's a longer talent plateau in this draft. I'd be very comfortable trading with Cleveland down to #12. That would put them in Parker/Waynes territory, and I'm not entirely convinced that would represent a dropoff from what they'd be taking at #6. I wouldn't want to see the team trade with Philly all the way to #20, though.

He could be trying to create a market for the pick. Chicago picking #7 is a legitimate possible landing place for Mariota should the Jets pass. I just get the feeling that the Jags or Washington will be more aggressive trying to move down, and that the Jets will have a hard time convincing teams they're not hoping to take Mariota themselves.

The Jags have to start winning games immediately if that regime hopes to survive, though. Hard to see them passing on these pass rushers at the top of the draft. And Washington likely isn't going to let a division rival come all the way up to get its QB at their spot. I think the Eagles--if they're worried about the Jets taking Mariota--would have to run to the Raiders and offer them the world.

IMO, absent the Raiders scenario, the Eagles could just as easily pre-arrange a deal with the Jets whereby, if Mariota is on the board, the Jets essentially pick Mariota for them, then execute the trade. in the meantime, we have to hope rumors surface of the Browns, Rams, Texans, or Bills trying to come up. So far, the only team that we know wants Mariota is Philly.

The Jags have to start winning games immediately if that regime hopes to survive, though. Hard to see them passing on these pass rushers at the top of the draft. And Washington likely isn't going to let a division rival come all the way up to get its QB at their spot. I think the Eagles--if they're worried about the Jets taking Mariota--would have to run to the Raiders and offer them the world.

IMO, absent the Raiders scenario, the Eagles could just as easily pre-arrange a deal with the Jets whereby, if Mariota is on the board, the Jets essentially pick Mariota for them, then execute the trade. in the meantime, we have to hope rumors surface of the Browns, Rams, Texans, or Bills trying to come up. So far, the only team that we know wants Mariota is Philly.

Their GM has already stated that they'd listen to offers for the #3 pick. I don't think they'd want to move all the way down to #20, though, and really don't know what the Eagles could offer to make it worth their while short of a boatload of future picks. But I think they'd jump at Cleveland's first two picks. It wouldn't shock me if the Titans tried to trade down ahead of them, either.

I think they might.  If they think he sucks.

I'd rather stay put at 6 and draft Kevin White. If we had to trade back between Cleveland or Philly, I would prefer Cleveland because we're moving bak fewer spots.

I'm starting to think White and Cooper might be gone by 6.  Teams ahead of the Jets with young franchise QB's might look to add a stud receiver to work with for the next several seasons.

I don't agree with the bold. I think it's entirely possible he doesn't like either of these QBs.

I do like that the Jets are a complete wildcard at #6. If Mariota's there, QB, OLB, or WR all make a lot of sense. I do agree that there's a longer talent plateau in this draft. I'd be very comfortable trading with Cleveland down to #12. That would put them in Parker/Waynes territory, and I'm not entirely convinced that would represent a dropoff from what they'd be taking at #6. I wouldn't want to see the team trade with Philly all the way to #20, though.

He could be trying to create a market for the pick. Chicago picking #7 is a legitimate possible landing place for Mariota should the Jets pass. I just get the feeling that the Jags or Washington will be more aggressive trying to move down, and that the Jets will have a hard time convincing teams they're not hoping to take Mariota themselves.

So do I, and that's what I said (also assuming Winston is taken 1st overall). 

If he's not getting a QB I think he'd rather pick up a similar player at the same or similar position, and grab an extra 1st rounder (or more) in the process.

Take WR for example. There's so much dissent about who's going the be the best through the 5th-best that all you get at #6 is first dibs with an excellent probability someone else from that class will be the noticeably better pro. So often when there are WRs projected this highly, there's just 1 or 2 guys and then the presumption is the talent drops sharply after that (Megatron or AJ Green/Julio come to mind). Almost everyone seems to think if the douchebag keeps his head on straight he'll be the best of all but no one would gamble on him with a top 10 pick. A team that recoups another 1st round pick (or more) might be more willing to take that shot, though.

It's just a longwinded way of saying unless he loves one of the QBs, and unless one of them falls to us at #6, I think his preference is to trade down. Especially if so many of the top players he likes are all WRs and there are plenty of them in this class.

I'm starting to think White and Cooper might be gone by 6. Teams ahead of the Jets with young franchise QB's might look to add a stud receiver to work with for the next several seasons.

I cannot see Washington going WR. Their defense is atrocious but then again, you never know with Dan Snyder.

I cannot see Washington going WR. Their defense is atrocious but then again, you never know with Dan Snyder.

I was thinking more Jacksonville getting a target for Bortles and Oakland for Carr.

I agree with Oakland. I'm hoping Jacksonville will go pass rusher to start chasing Luck around. I'm just praying for White.

I could see them going either way.  Draft day should be a fun one this year.

If Mariota is there at 6, you take him.

If someone that wants him that bad calls as the draft falls out and you get what you think is a great value for him, then deal him after taking him like the Chargers did with Manning ala Rivers.

At worst you have a QB with big-time potential to try and develop.

Don't see the issue here, as with the new rookie signing rules he won't cost you a fortune if he bombs....and the need for a QB here is well documented.

I'd rather stay put at 6 and draft Kevin White. If we had to trade back between Cleveland or Philly, I would prefer Cleveland because we're moving bak fewer spots.

with philly we are moving back to #20 and getting foles and probably their 2nd or 3rd round pick as well

Bryce Petty came out looking like number three behind Winston and Mariota.

He's the guy I would like. He threw beautiful deep passes, at the Combine but had trouble with the sideline out pattern which is kind of disturbing. That is a MAJOR NFL throw and you have to be able to make it. I don't want to undervalue him on the basis of one workout though. I think he can be had in the late second early third round. 

Archived