Jets to sign OG James Carpenter

jetfuel

old draft profile fwiw

James Carpenter   OT   Alabama

TALENT BOARD

Round 1

STRENGTHS

James has the size, wing span and athletic agility to play either tackle position for the team that drafts him the day after they draft him.  He might be the most technically sound and NFL ready tackle in this group.  James shows excellent mental stamina and does not commit very many penalties.  He shows great physical stamina as well, which is not what you would expect just looking at him. He has very quick feet with the ability to mirror his opponent.  He fires out quickly in the running game and is very smart picking up stunts to his side.  James works well with his left guard and understands his assignments.  He doesn't over-block and stays on his feet, but at the same time, he does finish his blocks.  James is very underrated at this point of the draft.  He quietly goes about his job on the field and no one mentions him or notices how well he is playing.  He rarely gives up a sacks and, when they need important yards in the running game, they go right to his side to get it. James reminds me a lot of Marcus McNeil (LT San Diego Chargers). 

CONCERNS

Here is why James is not being talked about very much at all:  his body type and weight.  He looks like a guard playing the tackle position.  He doesn't play like a guard playing the tackle position, but he looks like it.  If he slims down and shows a little more quickness out of his stance, then he will move up.  James is not a pulling tackle.  He doesn't have the greatest foot speed over distance, but he does have quick feet; therefore, he is not going to run a very good forty and might not have very good workouts, but do not be deceived; he will be a very good left tackle. 

BOTTOM LINE

If you don't look the part, sometimes people think you won't be able to play the part.  It's just that simple and it's the only reason I feel nobody is talking about this kid.  Seriously, if you look at some of the left tackles in this draft, you will see some good looking athletes.  James is not as good looking as some of the other tackles in this draft.  He has a big belly like a guard or defensive nose tackle.  He has foot speed like a right guard.  He may not work out well or look fantastic in the one-on-one drills, but when you put the game film on, you realize what a good left tackle this kid is and will be for the team that drafts him.  Most teams are going to suggest that James should be moved to the right side because of his workout numbers.  Trust me on this:  before the coaches get through the first practice with this kid he will be over on the left side.  James is like that haunted house that you go into, but you never come out.  You might talk all you want about James' opponent before a game, but once the game is over, there is no more talk and his opponent has disappeared.  It's kind of creepy!   That's why I call him James (Creepy) Carpenter.  Draft him -- you won't be sorry. 

The BS Detector 

Drew Boylhart   Mar/11

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was hoping for Clint Boling personally...looking forward to watching a little bit of Carpenter on film this week.

I hear Boling was the 3rd best after Iupati and Franklin so I agree but from what I hear he already signed elsewhere.  We needed help on the o-line especially at guard so I'd rather Carpenter than no one.  Maybe we still find a way to improve the position but this is a start.  Hopefully not too much though.

Fans don't realize how much easier it is for the oline to pass block for a Brady/Manning than these guys that run around with thier heads cut off.  Brady is there 7 yards behind the center don't let anyone with 3 yards of him.  They criticize iupati for pass blocking and he never knows where the qb is!

Yeah.  It is a pocket.  It is difficult to set a pocket when you don't know where it is. Change of direction always creates holding calls, both by the Qb and on returns. 

He was the best of what was left - it sounds like the Jets never had a legit shot at luring Franklin or Iupati to the East Coast.

He's another body to compete, he's probably better than what we had he'll probably win one spot therefore this move makes the team marginally better.  Making the team better is the GM's job and it was done here. On to the next.

How many roster spots?  9?  10?  They may plan on sliding Carpenter to T if there is an injury rather than adding another body.

That's what is good about this. You have Breno that can play RT & guard.

Freeman did a nice job filling in for Mangold. Guys get hurt, you need flexibility.

That's what is good about this. You have Breno that can play RT & guard.

Freeman did a nice job filling in for Mangold. Guys get hurt, you need flexibility.

When has Breno ever played guard?  Half the board wants to sign Bulaga and move him inside, but I have never read of him playing inside for even a single snap.

Beluga is a pro bowl RT, why would anyone want to slide him inside?

If they sign Beluga, Breno would be a backup unless he can slide inside & fight for a starting guard spot between Aboushi/Winters/Dozier.

Best case is that Dozier works his way into the left guard spot by eventually beating out Aboushi.

Beluga is a pro bowl RT, why would anyone want to slide him inside?

If they sign Beluga, Breno would be a backup unless he can slide inside & fight for a starting guard spot between Aboushi/Winters/Dozier.

Best case is that Dozier works his way into the left guard spot by eventually beating out Aboushi.

I meant the board wants to slide Giacomini inside.  I repeat that I have NEVER heard of him playing a snap inside.  You said in your post above that Breno could play RT and guard, but I have seen no evidence that he can be a competent guard.  He is not Damien Woody who had played all over the line.  Carpenter sounds more like a LG than a RG, but he has played some tackle. 

No. I don't want a top 10 pick being used on a guard. That's stupid.

Yeah it would be much better used on us getting another qb who didn't play in a pro style offense, 1-year wonder receiver or an undersized Olb who can't play the run just cuz.

Yeah it would be much better used on us getting another qb who didn't play in a pro style offense, 1-year wonder receiver or an undersized Olb who can't play the run just cuz.

Who is this 1 year wonder receiver?

Not having ideal prospects at a couple positions doesn't make picking a guard in the top 10 any less stupid.

In this draft class, I'd rather reach on a corner or WR at #6 than take the best guard in the draft.

Not having ideal prospects at a couple positions doesn't make picking a guard in the top 10 any less stupid.

In this draft class, I'd rather reach on a corner or WR at #6 than take the best guard in the draft.

Completely agree

Chance Warmack isn't changing the outcome of games,lol.

Depending on what we do in the draft it's not out of the question to pick Cooper or White just because we have Kerley.

Also another stud RB just because we have Ivory or Powell.

If you can upgrade at a position you do it but we need play makers, pass rushers & CBs 1st & foremost.

It's not terrible IMO because the -6 is cumulative over the course of a season.  They consider any grade in a game of -1.0 - 1.0 to be "average" since it doesn't deviate all that far from their starting point of 0.0.  If a guy has a bunch of "average" games but most of them are toward the -1.0 side of average, his cumulative score is going to add up to be below average.

For a full range, the top rated OG in the NFL was a +43.4 and the worst was -32.6.

-32 yikes !!!

thanks for the clarification

But I hear that this guy isnt the best at run blocking and is just decent at pass blocking. Would you want a guy like that as your RT?

Remember VTF hawks had zero wr threats and Lynch faced 8 in the box most of game. Makes it tough sledding for OL and they all

did a pretty good job

There you are.... you've been a big advocate of this signing for a few weeks, if I'm not mistaken. Why?

The OL is old and shallow where it isn't green and crappy, weak draft for guards, Jets don't want to pay 8 million for a guard, no shot at Franklin or Bulaga, better feet than Boling and Blalock, better size than Wisniewski, the Ts in FA suck...just came down to him. Good experience for a young FA too as starter for a couple of highly accomplished franchises in Alabama and Seattle.

Wanted Skrine too. Another guy who just made sense given full context of what else is available. They get these higher quality mid tier guys and it leaves room go after Revis without wondering about cap heck in three years.

The OL is old and shallow where it isn't green and crappy, weak draft for guards, Jets don't want to pay 8 million for a guard, no shot at Franklin or Bulaga, better feet than Boling and Blalock, better size than Wisniewski, the Ts in FA suck...just came down to him. Good experience for a young FA too as starter for a couple of highly accomplished franchises in Alabama and Seattle.

Wanted Skrine too. Another guy who just made sense given full context of what else is available. They get these higher quality mid tier guys and it leaves room go after Revis without wondering about cap heck in three years.

I like your logic sir, and thanks for the insight on Carpenter. I didn't know much about him.

I'm a big fan of the sign mid-tier free agents who are still ascending philosophy though. You aren't paying all your FAs for past accomplishment, and giving them room to actually out-perform their contracts, which is what makes a winner if you do it enough. It's a scout's free agency approach, which to me is more proactive. 

Archived