Pats lose out on Steve johnson

njjetman

Nice.  They lose out on Harvin and then Johnson.  Both of those guys would have functioned well in NE's offense.

I would have liked both of them for the pats, Johnson more than Harvin, but I think the offense would have to be adjusted for either of those guys and neither is a good fit for the offense as it is currently configured.   I think Jennings is the best fit for the NE offense.

I would have liked both of them for the pats, Johnson more than Harvin, but I think the offense would have to be adjusted for either of those guys and neither is a good fit for the offense as it is currently configured.   I think Jennings is the best fit for the NE offense.

I can see Jennings signing with the Pats, plus with such a heavy receiver draft, they can pick a solid receiver in the middle rounds. 

They already have LaFell, who is basically the same player.

Johnson is more of the stretch the field type than LaFell. 

Not exactly a need.  It would be nice, but I would prefer a CB or two.

Johnson is more of the stretch the field type than LaFell. 

Not exactly a need.  It would be nice, but I would prefer a CB or two.

His longest catch last year was 32 yards. He hasn't caught a pass of over 50 yards since 2012. His career receiving average is 12.7. LaFell's is 13.9.

If stretching the field is what Stevie is supposed to be doing, he isn't very good at it.

His longest catch last year was 32 yards. He hasn't caught a pass of over 50 yards since 2012. His career receiving average is 12.7. LaFell's is 13.9.

If stretching the field is what Stevie is supposed to be doing, he isn't very good at it.

Fair enough. 

Maybe he has lost a step, but if he is not there to be more a situational stretch field guy, then he has no real purpose?  Gronk and Edelman are 1 and 1a.  It ok about 4 weeks into the season, but LaFell found his role and did pretty good.  Amendola even found a niche late in the year and into the playoffs.

Yep, Jennings definitely would be a good fit. Steady, productive guy except for that one year he missed much of the season in GB.

Yep, Jennings definitely would be a good fit. Steady, productive guy except for that one year he missed much of the season in GB.

Yeah, he pretty much runs the same routes that Branch did, and is more disciplined than either Harvin or Johnson.  

Please tell me how great Stevie Johnson is.

Please tell me how Lafell, a guy who had had Tom Brady and Cam Newton throwing to him his whole career and never had a 1,000 yd season, is as good as a guy who had 3 with trash like Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing to him.

Please tell me how Lafell, a guy who had had Tom Brady and Cam Newton throwing to him his whole career and never had a 1,000 yd season, is as good as a guy who had 3 with trash like Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing to him.

Scheme and targets. Both are completely average talents.

I love it when posters are nailed in their tracks by actual stats that back up what they say. Or prove they don't WTF they are talking about.

Archived