2015 JN Mock Draft V.1 DISCUSSION Thread

T0mShane

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UGH!  I have been ready since last night and two of the three picks before mine were guys I would have taken.  Plus, you catch me trying to cook my dinner! 

Figured I would pick a Rutgers guy and throw us a bone.  Matt Spaeth aint all that, so there is room and this kid could be awesome when he puts on some weight

Posted Today, 10:45 AM

Villain The Foe, on 23 Mar 2015 - 6:11 PM, said:snapback.png

It was the weekend. We should go to the 5th round. 

1st Pick 4th Round= March 23rd, 7:00 pm

Last Pick 4th Round= March 26th,  5:51 pm [ Round 4 has now surpassed the 50 hour mark! and into it's 3rd day]

Sure you want to keep going to round 5? [Can't wait to see how round 5 goes! I think we can get to the actual Draft before we finish round 5]

:snail:  :ball:  :wheelchair:  :rip:  :animal0028:

Last Pick 4th Round= March 26th????? [ Round 4 has now surpassed the 50 hour mark! and into it's 3rd day]

Sure you want to keep going to round 5? [Can't wait to see how round 5 goes! I think we can get to the actual Draft before we finish round 5]

What's the rush?  Are you that worried to know who the Bengals pick in the 7th?

Reminder: I will be stepping down as commissioner after Scherff's Dad picks here. If you guys want to continue, anoint someone to the seat of power.

Stepping down?  Must be a Jet Nation Mock Draft scandal on the horizon. 

Congratulations!! We didn't break the 72 hour Mark for the 4th round!

I say 5th round will break that mark.

Last Pick 4th Round= March 26th,  5:51 pm [ Round 4 has now surpassed the 50 hour mark! and into it's 3rd day]

We made it to the 4th that's pretty much as far as it ever goes. Overall this was one of the better mocks.

Agreed.  I would be down for doing a full one.  I don't see what the rush is.  I like to hear the rationale on the later picks.  That is how I know about the UDFAs and waiver wire pickups.  I learned about guys like Rontez Miles here first through this kind of thing.

Agreed.  I would be down for doing a full one.  I don't see what the rush is.  I like to hear the rationale on the later picks.  That is how I know about the UDFAs and waiver wire pickups.  I learned about guys like Rontez Miles here first through this kind of thing.

I agree there is no rush, but it sure seems like a few folks have bailed on us.  I have not been following closely enough to see if the same folks are missing picks repeatedly, but if we have lost too many, I am not sure it makes sense to continue. If everyone were still engaged but have a lot going on (unlike me -- I have no life so I can make picks quickly) and it takes some time, then there is no rush.  If we lost a few people, we may be best off calling it and starting over with folks who are committed to a full 7 round mock.

I agree there is no rush, but it sure seems like a few folks have bailed on us.  I have not been following closely enough to see if the same folks are missing picks repeatedly, but if we have lost too many, I am not sure it makes sense to continue. If everyone were still engaged but have a lot going on (unlike me -- I have no life so I can make picks quickly) and it takes some time, then there is no rush.  If we lost a few people, we may be best off calling it and starting over with folks who are committed to a full 7 round mock.

Agreed.  Who is running it?  Did DCat offer? 

Agreed.  Who is running it?  Did DCat offer? 

If Dcat want to run it, I will make up a tracking sheet for us like the one we are using at the Hampur.  Seems to work really well.  Dcat -- you volunteering???

If Dcat want to run it, I will make up a tracking sheet for us like the one we are using at the Hampur.  Seems to work really well.  Dcat -- you volunteering???

Yes, but I don't want to start right away.  

The NFL draft is 5 weeks away, April 30.

Ideally, I think doing this starting 3 weeks out from the draft would be perfect for a 7-round draft with trades and comp picks.  In addition, for those of us with kids, most school spring breaks are the week after Easter 4/6 -4/10.  Some people may have vacation plans.  Doesn't affect me, but may affect others.  

I say we start this thing around the weekend of the 10th, just under 3 weeks out from the draft.

Plus we can swap/remove any picks based on Goodell punishments coming down next week.  You know... tampering, pumped in noise, owner text messages to the coaches on the sidelines a special punishment for Bill Belichick just because. 

Congratulations!! We didn't break the 72 hour Mark for the 4th round!

I say 5th round will break that mark.

I get that slow drafts are not your cup of tea.  But that's the way message board drafts go. Doesn't bother me at all.   If we do it again for 7 rounds, with trades, it will be the same. 

Ideally, I think doing this starting 3 weeks out from the draft would be perfect for a 7-round draft with trades and comp picks.  In addition, for those of us with kids, most school spring breaks are the week after Easter 4/6 -4/10.  Some people may have vacation plans.  Doesn't affect me, but may affect others.  

I say we start this thing around the weekend of the 10th, just under 3 weeks out from the draft.

Plus we can swap/remove any picks based on Goodell punishments coming down next week.  You know... tampering, pumped in noise, owner text messages to the coaches on the sidelines a special punishment for Bill Belichick just because. 

I get that slow drafts are not your cup of tea.  But that's the way message board drafts go. Doesn't bother me at all.   If we do it again for 7 rounds, with trades, it will be the same. 

Excellent.  I am in.  I would like to know my team a bit in advance, but otherwise I don't care.  Happy enough to take the Steelers again.  It seems like this one picked up some more steam, so no reason to stop now.

That will be perfect Dcat -- timing is great, I am travelling the week of 4/6, and our Hampur draft should be over by then.  I am glad to help you keep things moving -- least I could do since you are helping me out over there.  Couple of things I would suggest based on the draft on the other site.  

• 3 hour time slot for a pick -- if you can't make a pick in 3 hours, you are probably not going to make it in 4.  
  • Expand time when the clock runs on a pick.  Ours runs from 8AM to11PM at the Hampur.  Extra few hours a day moves things along -- earliest you can be required to pick with the 3 hour window is 11AM which is not too early.
  • When someone misses their pick, they need to PM the commish to confirm that they are still involved.  No PM received, Commish makes the pick next time around with little/no delay.
  • Tracking sheet can be created (I will volunteer to do this -- one we are using at the Hampur is found in the link below).  Makes it a lot easier to track picks, players, time on clock, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NFAdj-F0AhZVebSNNPj68g2IoiU-Be3xbFyObCqIvyA/edit?usp=sharing

Excellent.  I am in.  I would like to know my team a bit in advance, but otherwise I don't care.  Happy enough to take the Steelers again.  It seems like this one picked up some more steam, so no reason to stop now.

I use this as a learning experience to educate myself much more about the middle to lower rounds of the draft class.  I enjoy looking at the videos and doing a bit of research as to team needs, scouting reports, "expert" pundit opinions and contracts, etc.

But I won't choose the same teams again.  I will definitely choose two new teams the next time.  Would hate to do the same team over, because I want the opportunity to learn about two other teams that I am not so knowledgeable about yet.   

I've done 2 of these mocks so far and had Jacksonville, Tennessee, Miami and just took over Cincinnati for someone who had to bow out.  I know so much more about these teams'  weaknesses and which players on the roster they are locked into due to long contracts with lots of dead money.  For example, this off season Tennessee guaranteed a total of $24 million over the next 3-4 years between OLB Derrick Morgan and OLB Brian Orapko.  No way in heck are they going to spend a very early pick on another OLB.  In Cincinnati, both starting corners, Hall and Kirkpatrick,  are entering the final year of their contracts and the Bengals have not extended yet.  If they were intent on keeping them, at least one of them would have been extended by now.  Look for the Bengals to take a CB early in this draft.  (That's why, when I took over the Bengals at the Hampur in round 4, I quickly traded up to get the best CB left on the board.  Not sure why my predecessor GM for Cinci didn't take a corner. )

I really like this sh*t.  My wife is ready to kill me, though.  But   :sign0102:

Damn you Shane!!!  I told you I liked Cobb for the Steelers.  Ugh.

I was hoping his slow time and injury would let him keep dropping.  I think he is a better fit for the Steelers.  Less pass catcher, more bruising take what he can get runner. 

That will be perfect Dcat -- timing is great, I am travelling the week of 4/6, and our Hampur draft should be over by then.  I am glad to help you keep things moving -- least I could do since you are helping me out over there.  Couple of things I would suggest based on the draft on the other site.  

• 3 hour time slot for a pick -- if you can't make a pick in 3 hours, you are probably not going to make it in 4.  
  • Expand time when the clock runs on a pick.  Ours runs from 8AM to11PM at the Hampur.  Extra few hours a day moves things along -- earliest you can be required to pick with the 3 hour window is 11AM which is not too early.
  • When someone misses their pick, they need to PM the commish to confirm that they are still involved.  No PM received, Commish makes the pick next time around with little/no delay.
  • Tracking sheet can be created (I will volunteer to do this -- one we are using at the Hampur is found in the link below).  Makes it a lot easier to track picks, players, time on clock, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NFAdj-F0AhZVebSNNPj68g2IoiU-Be3xbFyObCqIvyA/edit?usp=sharing

I can't access that tracking sheet at work, but I assume we will still have the posts for me to look at.

All hail the mighty Lith.   :love0030: 

I agree with all of the above.  

One suggestion:  Use a different position ranking source this time.  None of them are perfect, but I like drafttek, Walter, and even CBS more than whatever you used there.  

I can't access that tracking sheet at work, but I assume we will still have the posts for me to look at.

It's a google doc spreadsheet.  Why in the world would your workplace block that?  Are all google docs blocked  there?  That's ridiculous.  Doesn't anyone use google docs at work there?  Tyrants!  Can you get to it via proxy?

One suggestion:  Use a different position ranking source this time.  None of them are perfect, but I like drafttek, Walter, and even CBS more than whatever you used there.  

I used Tony Pauline's rankings from Draft Insider.  Either they have not been updated recently, or his opinions are pretty far from the conventional wisdom on a lot of prospects.  Either way, I will use a different source this time -- was planning to use CBS -- I can take a look at Drafttek as well.  Whichever will be easier for me to import.

To give credit where it is due, the spreadsheet idea came from Beerfish who has a great sheet, but without all of the position specific tabs.  I started to put together my own sheet modeled after BF's from last year..  I was just going to use it to track the draft myself and then JetsCanes331 gave me the idea of using google docs to share it.

Like all of the best ideas, don't come up with our own, borrow from someone else.

It's a google doc spreadsheet.  Why in the world would your workplace block that?  Are all google docs blocked  there?  That's ridiculous.  Doesn't anyone use google docs at work there?  Tyrants!  Can you get to it via proxy?

They block EVERYTHING.  I am confused as to how/why I am allowed on here, but I am sure it won't last.  I have only been here since January.  When they see it pop up they will probably block it.  Maybe they think I use it for travel. 

To give credit where it is due, the spreadsheet idea came from Beerfish who has a great sheet, but without all of the position specific tabs.  I started to put together my own sheet modeled after BF's from last year..  I was just going to use it to track the draft myself and then JetsCanes331 gave me the idea of using google docs to share it.

Like all of the best ideas, don't come up with our own, borrow from someone else.

Beerfish has filed a tampering charge vs Lith with the commissioner and expects draft pick compensation to cover his pain and suffering.

Archived