What Scouts Are Saying About this year's QBs

32EBoozer

Co-sign.  All of the so-called 2nd round guys are really 6th round value.  No need to waste a valuable pick by reaching out of desperation. 

Honestly wouldn't mind so much if we had 12 picks like Idzik did last year because you're bound to grab a few projects...don't have enough picks to waste this season and certainly not on any of these guys.  Glennon.

I think you mean David Garrard. Agree with you on new regime....seem to have much more on the ball. At least hope so. Totally disagree on Geno...think was a waste of a pick, especially there.

Yes thanks, it was David Garrard I was thinking of. 

Geno was considered a number 1 pick until a few weeks before the draft and then saw his stock drop like a rock so how was that a wasted pick when he fell to the second round?  Pretty much everyone thought he was a good value pick there. Unless you are using hindsight which is of course 20-20 ;-).

Also had he sat for a year, I believe he would have performed a hell of a lot better and we would probably be having a different conversation about him going into his third year... Of course it is all speculation at this point so we can agree to disagree. 

Honestly wouldn't mind so much if we had 12 picks like Idzik did last year because you're bound to grab a few projects...don't have enough picks to waste this season and certainly not on any of these guys.  Glennon.

What I don't understand is why Tampa is willing to draft Winston, with all his red flags, or Mariota who probably will need at least a year before he is ready, when they have a good young quarterback in Glennon unless they are just not sold on him, for what ever reason.   It would make more sense to trade down and gather more picks and continue build around Glennon (draft OL, RB, etc).  

What I don't understand is why Tampa is willing to draft Winston, with all his red flags, or Mariota who probably will need at least a year before he is ready, when they have a good young quarterback in Glennon unless they are just not sold on him, for what ever reason.   It would make more sense to trade down and gather more picks and continue build around Glennon (draft OL, RB, etc).  

Good point...I'm just banking on the Bucs being wrong because sometimes teams are, and that his TD/INT ratio and comp pct will improve with better talent around him.

I'm sure that when the Falcons traded Brett Favre there were Packers fans wondering just how good he was if the Falcons were willing to trade him so quickly after drafting him.  Sometimes teams are wrong and I've read plenty of opinions on Glennon from former coaches and players that I believe his production on that horrible team wasn't a fluke.

Good point...I'm just banking on the Bucs being wrong because sometimes teams are, and that his TD/INT ratio and comp pct will improve with better talent around him.

I'm sure that when the Falcons traded Brett Favre there were Packers fans wondering just how good he was if the Falcons were willing to trade him so quickly after drafting him.  Sometimes teams are wrong and I've read plenty of opinions on Glennon from former coaches and players that I believe his production on that horrible team wasn't a fluke.

Well here are my three scenarios:

1. The Bucs draft Winston - They will trade Glennon because he will not be happy as a back up to a rookie and the Bucs could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him (perhaps more)

2. The Bucs draft Mariota - Glennon probably becomes the starter and Mariota sits and learns.  Next year when Mariota is ready the Bucs trade Glennon for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  

3. The Bucs trade the pick - Glennon becomes the starter and they use the additional picks to beef up the Oline, add more weapons and build up the defense.  

Of the three I think number 1 has the highest probability. 

The scouts hit it on the head. I do have Petty a little better than what they said. He needs coaching but I do see a NFL QB here. I also like Shane Carden at East Carolina. He is a gunslinger and does take too many chances but he also needs to be coached up. Stay away from Hundley. When he is bad he is real bad. I said he should go to Canada where the field is better for his game. A really raw product I will sign as an undrafted QB is Chris Bonner. A big kid with a big arm who could make all the throws. Impress me in all star game and at division 2 Colorado Pueblo. 

That is why I am all for trading down for more picks, add more weapons for Geno and/or Fitz and try to prying away Glennon to add to the competition.  Outside of Winston and Mariota, not one those quarterbacks are worth drafting to me.  

1. The Bucs draft Winston - They will trade Glennon because he will not be happy as a back up to a rookie and the Bucs could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him (perhaps more)

2. The Bucs draft Mariota - Glennon probably becomes the starter and Mariota sits and learns.  Next year when Mariota is ready the Bucs trade Glennon for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  

3. The Bucs trade the pick - Glennon becomes the starter and they use the additional picks to beef up the Oline, add more weapons and build up the defense.  

I agree...Winston is their guy IMO.  I think all this talk about how they've changed their minds because they watched the film again is BS.

People saying "why hasn't anyone traded for him if he's so good" is kind of silly because the Bucs aren't going to trade him before the draft.  You wait it out and see if a team panics on draft day or sometime after when some team realizes FA and the draft are over and they still don't have a QB they like...you don't drive the price up by trading him now, you do it by waiting until somebody is despearate.

As I've already said several times...I'm not putting the kid in Canton, I'm just saying is resume is more impressive than what the Jets have and he's a young QB with room to get better.  I'd hate to see them pass on a productive QB based solely on the fact that Lovie Smith doesn't like him.

I know there's some pining for Glennon here, but I just doubt that he'll be made available this year. If they were willing to move him, I think they would've traded him a while ago, and held onto Josh McCown. As much as McCown was Lovie's guy, I suspect he came to realize that Glennon is simply better.

I certainly recognize that they'd like to move on from him -he's the previous regime's guy- but he's a dirt cheap potential backup with starting experience. Having him on the roster makes it easier to take Mariota, if that's who they like. It's also a cushion if they prefer Winston, but then Winston implodes, or otherwise demonstrates he's not quite ready for prime time, either.

Wasn't Favre an alcoholic that wouldn't sober up in Atlanta?  I wonder if you guys would have been looking at 0-4 with 2 INTS and swearing you saw something worth a first.

Archived