Jets in Prime Position to Move up on Draft Day

JetNation

A team can fill almost all of their roster deficiencies and it still does not matter without a quality QB. The Dilfer led Ravens and Johnson led Bucs are the only recent exceptions but both were at least ball protecting veteran leaders... which is more than I can say for Geno and Harvard. Fitzpatrick throws terrible interceptions. Plus the Ravens and Bucs had excellent defenses. Jets defwnse will be good, but no way to know how good and it woyldnt matter anyway with QBs turning it over.

Mariota is absolutely worth a trade up to #3, #4, or #5.

With the rules set up to favor offense, scoring and protecting the qb I think the days of a game manager qb/strong defense are done.

The Jets are one of the teams possibly looking to trade down in the first round, according to reporter Albert Breer (April 27).

Washington is also looking to trade down, according to Breer, should USC DT Leonard Williams be available with the fifth pick.

The Jets will only trade down if they find an “acceptable offer,” he wrote.

By Glenn Naughton

Even while expressing a desire to move down in Thursday’s draft to add more picks during his pre-draft press conference, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan alluded to the fact that trade talks could heat up in the coming days with those teams positioned ahead of the Jets who own the sixth overall pick.

While the thought of surrendering draft picks to move up a few slots may bring back some not-so-pleasant memories of the days of “Trader Mike” Tannenbaum who dealt away so many choices in the Jets’ GM chair that the franchise had  a four-year stretch from 2007-2010 in which they selected just 17 players.

The end result was a top-heavy roster and a lack of depth at critical positions that saw the Jets’ go from consecutive AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010, to league doormat in just a few seasons.

Because of Tannenbaum’s wheeling and dealing, star cornerback Darrelle Revis started alongside the likes of Hank Poteat, Dwight Lowery, Lito Shepard, Drew Coleman and Donald Strickland early on in his career.

Tannenbaum would eventually acquire cornerback Antonio Cromartie to play opposite Revis by doing what else, but sending draft picks to the Chargers?

Quarterback Mark Sanchez continued to take snaps under center through stretches that saw him go weeks at a time without a single touchdown pass because Mark Brunell, more coach than player at that point, was the only other option on the roster.

Under Maccagnan however, some big spending early on with a few key trades mixed in leaves the Jets, coming off of a 4-12 season, with fewer holes to fill on their roster than one might expect.

A re-loaded secondary, a boatload of competition on the offensive linethe addition of a true number one receiver in Brandon Marshall and a veteran quarterback to push or replace Geno Smith in Ryan

Fitzpatrick gives Maccagnan the luxury of being able to package picks to move up if there is in fact a player the Jets covet who they suspect won’t be available with the sixth selection.

If it’s Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, the competition will be stiff as the Eagles, Browns and Chargers are said to have heavy interest in dealing for the Heisman Trophy winner.

Should the Jets look to add what many view as the lone missing piece to their defense, an edge rusher like Dante Fowler out of Florida who may not last beyond the third pick, surrendering an extra pick or two in this year’s draft wouldn’t carry the same risk as Tannenbaum’s.

Maccagnan has already out-performed former GM John Idzik by simply showing an interest in being competitive. He’s now positioning himself to exceed Tannenbaum by allowing the Jets to do whatever is needed on draft day without mortgaging the future or leaving head coach Todd Bowles hamstrung on game day.

nice read as always Glenn.. .I think you can have a nice read flipping it also we/Jets in nice position to 'trade down' ;)

as a fyi,,, where is a great hotel near stadium for Jets ' Fish game in London.. dont care about price.. Would prefer a 'British flair' to hotel if possible :)

Peter Kingfwiw writes today that the Jets and everyone else in the top five other than the Bucs are trying to trade out, which would explain all the Mariota-is-the-best chatter.

Same story this time every year. You have to prime the pump if you're even thinking about it since such trades are so rare in the first place.

nice read as always Glenn.. .I think you can have a nice read flipping it also we/Jets in nice position to 'trade down' ;)

as a fyi,,, where is a great hotel near stadium for Jets ' Fish game in London.. dont care about price.. Would prefer a 'British flair' to hotel if possible :)

Glad you liked it.

Tough to say on London Hotel near stadium because I've only ever stayed in Central London and Wembley is a ways out.

Easy enough to get a hotel in central London and quick shot to the stadium on the tube.

I'll shoot you a few recommendations later today or tomorrow at both ends of price spectrum.

If you plan on checking out Churchill's Cabinet War Rooms while you're there let me know...one of my favorite London attractions and might pop back there that week.

Peter Kingfwiw writes today that the Jets and everyone else in the top five other than the Bucs are trying to trade out, which would explain all the Mariota-is-the-best chatter.

Yup...everybody and their mother knows that teams in need of a franchise QB will do almost anything to get one...yet we have all of these teams publicly advertising their top-5 picks with a guy who is supposed to be "the" guy sitting there for the taking.

The kid has the intangibles.

He's smart, good arm, runs fantastically, which in Goodells new NFL is a license to steal 1st downs if you know how to

The first thing people list when talking up Mariota is "intangibles".  The first thing they brought up when talking about Andrew Luck is that he was the best prospect since Elway.  That's why you don't move up for a Mariota. 

I don't care about his intangibles or how he runs.  Even in this new NFL Goodell created, the 2nd slowest QB in the league just won a Super Bowl.

I am in no way advocating trading up for Mariota but for all those posters who wanted Gruden as a head coach ( I am not one of them) he is adamant that Mariota is the #1 QB  in the Draft calling him a 6' 4 R Wilson . If he was our coach would you be ok with moving up for Mariota

Archived