Reaction/Grades to Jets Draft Thread (Kiper, McShay, CNN, Grantland, and more)

Morrissey

I hear ya and understand that viewpoint (although I respectfully disagree) but what we can all agree on is that if the biggest criticism we have is whether we really needed the consensus best player in the draft, which we nabbed at 6, well that's something I can certainly live with.

I have been served well over the years with my darksider attitude but pinch me I think the NYJ just had a good draft?!

Williams is a good player, im not all that sure about him being the best player in the draft only because I never did my own evaluation on him. That's what I really mean about not being super high on him. I really cant comment on him because I haven't seen much. I learned that lesson last year with Beckham. I seen a game or two that was good, not great and missed a ton of video that actually showed the guys potential. What I've seen so far on Williams is that he has a slow get off on the line of scrimmage at times but his hand skills are great. I've only watched 2 games though.

I do think that we got a top 3 WR in the draft though. Devin Smith was my favorite WR this year, and the only guy that I felt was clear cut better was Cooper, though I believe Smith has #1 WR potential down the road.

Williams is a good player, im not all that sure about him being the best player in the draft only because I never did my own evaluation on him. That's what I really mean about not being super high on him. I really cant comment on him because I haven't seen much. I learned that lesson last year with Beckham. I seen a game or two that was good, not great and missed a ton of video that actually showed the guys potential. What I've seen so far on Williams is that he has a slow get off on the line of scrimmage at times but his hand skills are great. I've only watched 2 games though.

I do think that we got a top 3 WR in the draft though. Devin Smith was my favorite WR this year, and the only guy that I felt was clear cut better was Cooper, though I believe Smith has #1 WR potential down the road.

ya i don't do my own eval. except on schreff. all pro by year 2.

3. Trade down/ Lorenzo Mauldin - This was the mother of all head scratcher's. First the JETS traded down with Houston while not getting a fair value in draft picks. For Houston it was having their cake and eating it too. First they traded up in a trade in which they did not give up fair value in draft picks and on the other hand they got a prospect that could very well turn out to be the steal of this draft, greatly helping their team at a position of need. For the JETS they obviously got the short end of this entire deal. The trade looked like a gift to Houston from Maccagnan. The JETS could have stayed where they were and added another good WR or even a RB. Because they traded down they lost on some good prospects.

As far the the pick the JETS finally made we will see how it pans out. Lorenzo Mauldin will be a very good mirror of Maccagan's scouting acumen. I would be surprised if this prospect can contribute in a significant way in his rookie year. But it was a position of need so i cannot give this pick the lowest grade but overall the trade down and the draft pickup get's a Grade D.

Thank you, dropping down in the third was too much of a risk

You'll see it when you watch some more, he's one of the quickest DTs that I've seen in recent years at firing off the line, it's ridiculous.

Tardy is one thing BUT you do not gamble with LAZY prospects in the today's NFL.

Maybe I missed it but did Harrison test positive for weed? Are there serious questions about Harrison's mental makeup? Harrison was 150+ pick while Gregory was the 60th. Not close to apples to apples comparison.

As for the 3rd round trade. The Jets didn't get value in picks because they also acquired a former 3rd round pick in Posey. You may not think much of him, and he may not amount to anything, however we all know Mccagnan had a hand in his selection. Maybe all he needs is a change of secenery. Maybe he's flipped in August for a pick. Let's see how it plays out.

Maybe I missed it but did Harrison test positive for weed? Are there serious questions about Harrison's mental makeup? Harrison was 150+ pick while Gregory was the 60th. Not close to apples to apples comparison.

As for the 3rd round trade. The Jets didn't get value in picks because they also acquired a former 3rd round pick in Posey. You may not think much of him, and he may not amount to anything, however we all know Mccagnan had a hand in his selection. Maybe all he needs is a change of secenery. Maybe he's flipped in August for a pick. Let's see how it plays out.

There are serious questions about his focus on football and his work ethic.

I have heard this a lot today. So let me make this clear. Its OK to experiment BUT its not OK to experiment with LAZY. It's not. not in today's NFL. Just because it was a 152th pick does not make it OK. The reason being there is an extremely low probability of a positive return from such move.

NFP: Greg Gabriel

New York Jets

The Jets had to be ecstatic when USC defensive tackle Leonard Williams fell to them. Many people, including myself, had Williams as the top player on their board. While the Jets are already strong across the defensive front, you can never have too many quality defensive linemen. As for the reported labrum injury, that is a concern for the medical staff. If the injury was severe enough, the medical staff would have red flagged the player and the Jets would have passed on him.

Devin Smith is a quality vertical threat who plays faster than his 4.42 time. He is just beginning to come into his own and has great upside. Few have outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin’s competitive nature. He plays until the whistle every snap. He is also a top edge pass rusher with 16 sacks over the last two season. He still needs some work in pass coverage.

There were four quarterbacks in this draft that I felt had a chance to come in and eventually be a quality NFL starter. Bryce Petty was one of the four. Coming from the Baylor offense, he is far from stepping on the field, but he has outstanding football character, and his desire to be great will take him where he wants to go.

Jarvis Harrison could be a fifth round steal. He has tremendous talent but doesn’t always show a strong sense of urgency. He needs to improve in the compliance area. If he puts it all together, he can be a very good starting NFL guard.

Deon Simon is a good fit as a nose tackle but still needs some developing. He may need to spend a year on the practice squad.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2015-nfl-draft-review-afc-east/

I like the starting to that article. I agree a draft class cannot be graded for atleast 3 seasons but you can assess a few things. In that vein here is my quick outlook on our draft.

1. Leonard Williams   - Loved the pick. It was BPA and sometimes its tough but in the long run it pays off taking a player based on BPA. Grade A.

2. Delvin Smith          -  Nice pickup after not being able to get Amari Cooper. Could have been Jaelen Strong. While not a 100% lock to be a success addressing a NEED for the team with a prospect who has a big potential to be that electric playmaker that this offernse has lacked. Grade A-.

3. Trade down/ Lorenzo Mauldin - This was the mother of all head scratcher's. First the JETS traded down with Houston while not getting a fair value in draft picks. For Houston it was having their cake and eating it too. First they traded up in a trade in which they did not give up fair value in draft picks and on the other hand they got a prospect that could very well turn out to be the steal of this draft, greatly helping their team at a position of need. For the JETS they obviously got the short end of this entire deal. The trade looked like a gift to Houston from Maccagnan. The JETS could have stayed where they were and added another good WR or even a RB. Because they traded down they lost on some good prospects.

As far the the pick the JETS finally made we will see how it pans out. Lorenzo Mauldin will be a very good mirror of Maccagan's scouting acumen. I would be surprised if this prospect can contribute in a significant way in his rookie year. But it was a position of need so i cannot give this pick the lowest grade but overall the trade down and the draft pickup get's a Grade D.

4. Bryce Petty - Cannot blame the team for picking a QB. When you do not have a franchise QB and always have the habit of winning meaningless games at the end of the season so you cannot end up with the Top 2 pick then this is the best you can do. Keep picking QB's in the mid rounds till you strike gold with one. Bryce Petty is a raw pickup and will need atleast two seasons with a red shirt and clipboard to develop. If he pans out as a starting QB this will be a great draft. Grade B+.

5. Jarvis Harrison - I really do not understand this pick. So you pass on Top 10 talent like Randy Gregory in the 2nd round but pick up a guy in the 5th round inspite of him some of the very same issues that Gregory has. I have seen a lot of posters mention the tardiness of the likes of Gregory with being late to meetings BUT Jarvis Harrison has had the very same issues. Add to that he is considered LAZY, a surefire sign of failure in the NFL. So unless he steps up BIG time on the field and show's us something special this will remain a very poor pick from the JETS. Grade F.

6. Deon Simon - It's the 7th round.  I would have gone the way of drafting a Tre McBride specially since he supposed to be a good return man as well and talent wise I would consider him a lot higher. Still i see why the JETS picked Simon. There is a need to develop a guy who could be Snacks replacement once Snacks becomes a UDFA at the end of this season. Grade B.

Zac Stacy - traded one 7th round pick to get Zac Stacy. This needed to be done because the JETS failed to draft a RB in a draft that was deep at that position. So they got a guy who while having a solid rookie season, slid down to 3rd on the depth chart on his team last season and has a career ave ypc of 3.9 yards. Still not a bad depth add to the team BUT certainly lacking the quality to make it a killer unit.  Grade C.

1. Leonard Williams   - Don't get this Leonard Williams pick at all. Grade F.

2. Delvin Smith          -  Don't get this Devin Smith pick at all. Grade F.

3. Trade down/ Lorenzo Mauldin - Don't get this Lorenzo Mauldin pick at all. Grade F.

4. Bryce Petty - Don't get this Bryce Petty pick at all.  Grade F.

5. Jarvis Harrison - Don't get this Jarvis Harrison pick at all. Grade F.

6. Deon Simon - Don't get this Deon Simon pick at all. Grade F.

Zac Stacy - Don't get this Zac Stacy trade at all.  Grade F.

Archived