Jets Re-Draft! Since All the Picks Are In, Who Would YOU Choose?

JetBlue

You are probably correct.

I didn't realize you changed your pic and I'm like "who's this guy?"  lol

This season has the potential to be the most frustrating ever. All of this talent, all of the A+'s we're getting around the league from our draft yet the elephant in the room is a QB recovering from a broken leg that hasn't played a full season or even played a somewhat respectable season since '12, and another QB that we drafted but has been in the bottom 3 worst starting QB's in the league since entering the league.

There was a chance to get a guy who statistically was closer to the middle of the pack in regards to starting QB's than he was towards the bottom where Geno currently resides. Instead our only move is a developmental QB, as if we couldn't have done that either way.

I've liked the overwhelming majority of the moves by our front office, but its clear that they did not upgrade the QB positon. Anyone who thinks that Fitz 18ints on avg. in Chan's offense is an upgrade is a person that I simply have no words for.

We could have drafted Petty and still brought in a respectable QB from a statistical standpoint.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was with you until that last paragraph...and the lol'd.

Lets go slow. the trade value was about right. Drop down 12 in the 3rd, pick up 2 extra picks in the 5th n 7th, and a WR.

Clearly Big Mac saw something in Jaelen Strong he did not like. Hand  issue? 30 other GMs saw the same thing.

Marshall's injury situation? Which injury? I thought he was fine? I may be wrong there.

We have Decker, Marshall, Kerley, Devin Smith and Owusu as our WRs at the time of the pick. Plenty of depth imo.

Randy Gregory in the late 2nd was the best steal imo, but thats yet to be seen and will take 3-5 years to determine, not 3-5 days.

One trick pony? Doesn't Jaelen need to develop as a complete NFL receiver? Or perhaps he came with 6 years of NFL experience?

The trade value was not right. The WR had equivalent value of a HIGH 6th. So if the JETS wanted to trade up and needed a HIGH 6the round pick to complete the trade could they have used the WR ? No one would have taken him. That's why when trading down you always want compensation in picks and not players unless it's a need pick.

That is the most common argument. We do not know Maccag did not like him as a 3rd round pick or wanted to make up for the lack of picks. We will never know.

You should refer to the myriad of injuries Marshall has last season. And he is on the wrong side of 30 where players generally tend to break down. That's why i do not understand the 5th round pick on him.

Devin Smith has not started a game in the NFL as yet. Owusu may have got on the field ONLY by default because for the most part last season there was not much talent after the Top 2 of Decker and Kerley. Does not mean Owusu is starter by default. Now if he shows up at the training camp and kicks ass that will be a whole another story. But right now counting his as a starter would be mistake.

I think Jaelen was a more rounded prospect. Sure he will have to work to improve in the NFL but he is not a one trick pony, has better hands and is not the developmental project that Devin is.

Again i like the Devin Smith pick AND have no problem with the JETS rating him higher than any other WR at that point of time in the 2nd round. But passing on Strong in the 3rd and than trading down for less that fair value in terms of draft picks, just baffling.

This season has the potential to be the most frustrating ever. All of this talent, all of the A+'s we're getting around the league from our draft yet the elephant in the room is a QB recovering from a broken leg that hasn't played a full season or even played a somewhat respectable season since '12, and another QB that we drafted but has been in the bottom 3 worst starting QB's in the league since entering the league.

There was a chance to get a guy who statistically was closer to the middle of the pack in regards to starting QB's than he was towards the bottom where Geno currently resides. Instead our only move is a developmental QB, as if we couldn't have done that either way.

I've liked the overwhelming majority of the moves by our front office, but its clear that they did not upgrade the QB positon. Anyone who thinks that Fitz 18ints on avg. in Chan's offense is an upgrade is a person that I simply have no words for.

We could have drafted Petty and still brought in a respectable QB from a statistical standpoint.

tumblr_mab2gzHeHb1qm339ko1_500.gif

I've liked the overwhelmingly majority of the moves by our front office, but its clear that they did not upgrade the QB positon. Anyone who thinks that Fitz 18ints on avg. in Chan's offense is an upgrade is a person that I simply have no words for.

Look at Fitzpatrick's numbers from last year and tell me how that's not respectable. 

Plus sure he throws 18 INTs in the offense. He also throws 22-23 TDs. As a Jets fan I would take that in a heartbeat considering past QB play.

But of course Mike Glennon is your lover so nothing's convincing you.

............ but its clear that they did not upgrade the QB positon...............

2014:

1. Geno Smith

2. Mike Vick

3. Matt Simms

2015:

1. Fitz

2. Geno

3. Petty

You don't think that's upgraded?

#1 Fitz > Geno

#2 Geno > Vick

#3 Petty > Simms

It's literally an upgrade at all three spots on the chart.

Not a franchise QB in sight, admittedly, but there wasn't a Franchise QB available, certainly not at #6.  

what did you want, exactly?  

It did make sense actually,

Because it was BPA.

Because he did not get a fair trade in picks for trading down.

Because Brandon Marshall with his injury situation might be an answer for one season.

Because we did not have much depth at the WR to begin with.

Because Jaelen Strong in Round 3 represented he best steal of this draft.

Because Devin Smith might just end up being a one trick pony. As much as i like the pick he still has to develop as a complete NFL receiver.

Again I was against trading a 5th round pick for Brandon Marshall. That was a BIG mistake. But you do not compound your mistakes by making wrong decisions based on previous wrong decisions.

Disagree with every single thing you said. 

Houston did. They traded up to the 70 pick to pick him.

I'm talking the Jets, could care what Houston thought when they drafted Strong. Did they have to choose between Strong and Mauldin? How is this significant. Never mind I don't ever grade a pick off who someone else likes

I'm talking the Jets, could care what Houston thought when they drafted Strong. Did they have to choose between Strong and Mauldin? How is this significant. Never mind I don't ever grade a pick off who someone else likes

How do you know it was not ? We will never know. But considering what a steal Strong was in the 3rd round I would be surprised if Maccag had some other player at the top of his board. But no one can verify that.

2014:

1. Geno Smith

2. Mike Vick

3. Matt Simms

2015:

1. Fitz

2. Geno

3. Petty

#1 Fitz > Geno

#2 Geno > Vick

#3 Petty > Simms

Not a franchise QB in sight, admittedly, but there wasn't a Franchise QB available, certainly not at #6.  

yeah we improved but Geno is > than no one

How do you know it was not ? We will never know. But considering what a steal Strong was in the 3rd round I would be surprised if Maccag had some other player at the top of his board. But no one can verify that.

I'm not saying he was or wasn't their top player at that spot. You are saying he wasn't their BPA, you said they went away from the BPA.

Which off the pick I don't see and off what they said they would do going into the draft and what they said they did after the draft says they felt their pick was the BPA. No matter how much you loved Strong at that spot.

Look at Fitzpatrick's numbers from last year and tell me how that's not respectable. 

Plus sure he throws 18 INTs in the offense. He also throws 22-23 TDs. As a Jets fan I would take that in a heartbeat considering past QB play.

But of course Mike Glennon is your lover so nothing's convincing you.

Bypassing the stupidity, no,  Fitzpatrick's 17 TD's to 8INT's isnt respectable to me, especially when its there for all to see that he threw 6 of TD's in 1 game against the "juggernaut" Tennessee Titans. Take that Tennessee game away and we're dealing With Geno Smith. 

Bypassing the stupidity, no,  Fitzpatrick's 17 TD's to 8INT's isnt respectable to me, especially when its there for all to see that he threw 6 of TD's in 1 game against the "juggernaut" Tennessee Titans. Take that Tennessee game away and we're dealing With Geno Smith. 

That's absolutely wrong. Let's take away the 6. We then have 11 TDs and 8 INTs.

Thats BETTER than Geno Smith. If the Jets have a QB that throws more TDs than INTs, that's an improvement. They haven't had a QB do that in years. I think Sanchez did it once, but I don't know.

2014:

1. Geno Smith

2. Mike Vick

3. Matt Simms

2015:

1. Fitz

2. Geno

3. Petty

#1 Fitz > Geno

#2 Geno > Vick

#3 Petty > Simms

If Petty is a developmental project then I dont expect him to be #3 on the team. And even if he was #3 on the depth chart, how sick would this season be if this devlopmental player that just beat out Simms for the #3 spot has to start? And I dont look at Fitzpatrick as an upgrade at the QB position. Yeah, he could be an upgrade over Geno Smith, but when you're considered #30 out of 32 QB's thats not hard to do. But there's a difference of simply being better than Geno Smith and actually being an upgrade at the position. 

Thats BETTER than Geno Smith. If the Jets have a QB that throws more TDs than INTs, that's an improvement. They haven't had a QB do that in years. I think Sanchez did it once, but I don't know.

Possibly being better than arguably the worst starting QB in the league doesnt mean that you should consider him an "upgrade" at the position. 

Thats like aiming low in life and actually hitting your mark. You dont get excited for sh*t like that. This is exactly why I said that I have no words for people who think that Fitz is an upgrade. Let me stick to that and dismiss myself for the convo. 

Being better than arguably the worst starting QB in the league doesnt mean that you should consider him an "upgrade" at the position

Thats like aiming low in life and actually hitting your mark. You dont get excited for sh*t like that. This is exactly why I said that I have no words for people who think that Fitz is an upgrade. Let me stick to that and dismiss myself for the convo. 

The problem is that "upgrade" means being better than what was before. That's the definition of the word. So Fitz, IMO is an upgrade over Geno.

You want a "significant" upgrade. The problem is that wasn't available. So you need to appreciate the slight upgrades until we get the opportunity to get a big upgrade.

Tough for me to criticize anything Maccagnan did.  He really killed it based on the initial reaction.  We won't find out for 2-3 years how it all plays out but I have no criticism right now.  He addressed all the big need positions.  He was able to get both a burner and an edge rusher in the first 3 rounds who both should be able to be contributors in year 1.  We also got the best defensive player and all the leverage in the Wilkerson negotiations.  Getting a true #1 WR in Brandon Marshall and a proven change of pace back in Zac Stacy for a 5th is pure insanity.

My message to Maccagnan:

we%2527re+not+worthy.png

The problem is that "upgrade" means being better than what was before. That's the definition of the word. So Fitz, IMO is an upgrade over Geno.

You want a "significant" upgrade. The problem is that wasn't available. So you need to appreciate the slight upgrades until we get the opportunity to get a big upgrade.

An actual upgrade was available. What you consider an upgrade is a guy who cant take the field because of a broken leg, reached his ceiling years ago, and when healthy lit up the league (not named the Titans) for 11 TD's and 8 INT's (With actual WR's on the team), which is better than Geno's 13TD's and 13INT's some how. When you think about player development, no it isnt, especially when you see that you're comparing a 10 year vet to a 2nd year QB. 

But of course if we're playing the semantics game then i must give it to you. A guy starting off with homosexual references will of course end off with semantics in order to justify an upgrade that will most likely end up being the back up to the guy who at minimum has the possiblity given age and change of scheme to get better. 

An actual upgrade was available. What you consider an upgrade is a guy who cant take the field because of a broken leg, reached his ceiling years ago, and when healthy lit up the league (not named the Titans) for 11 TD's and 8 INT's (With actual WR's on the team), which is better than Geno's 13TD's and 13INT's some how. When you think about player development, no it isnt, especially when you see that you're comparing a 10 year vet to a 2nd year QB. 

But of course if we're playing the semantics game then i must give it to you. A guy starting off with homosexual references will of course end off with semantics in order to justify an upgrade that will most likely end up being the back up to the guy who at minimum has the possiblity given age and change of scheme to get better. 

First off, I apologize for the homosexual reference. That was out of line.

Secondly, if Geno can't beat Fitz in camp, then he's not worth the player development

First off, I apologize for the homosexual reference. That was out of line.

Secondly, if Geno can't beat Fitz in camp, then he's not worth the player development

I appreciate that. 

And you're right with your Geno statement. At the same time, the fact that you even feel that way I believe supports my position on why Im not satisfied with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Geno could fall on his face this preseason and lose his starting role to Fitz, but that does not mean that we upgraded. It means that we have QB problems. 

Watch a replay of the Giants/Texans game from last season - then tell me you want Fitz starting. At least with Geno there's hope that with a new OC , new HC and upgraded weapons he can improve, with Fitz we know what we get and its not pretty. 

Geno threw 3 interceptions in the first half of one game; one of the worst performances I have ever seen, yet, when he came back from being benched he played alot better and he finished with 13 tds and 13 ints.  Now add all of the weapons to the offense including OC Gailey implementing an offense he is more comfortable with, and I still don't understand why it is so hard to believe that he could actually significantly improve in his 3rd year. 

Watch a replay of the Giants/Texans game from last season - then tell me you want Fitz starting. At least with Geno there's hope that with a new OC , new HC and upgraded weapons he can improve, with Fitz we know what we get and its not pretty. 

Fitz will have a hard time beating out Smith, since he will be coming off of broken leg and may not be ready at the start of training camp. 

Not picking Jaelen Strong in the 3rd might be one we remember for years to come.

Think about all the other teams that will remember not taking him before us in the third or late in the second in your scenario. His wrist has to be worse than reported if he fell that far.

Oline and RB situation should have been addressed earlier. Also the Devin Smith pick feels like a need reach rather than BAP. Can he be a starter in this league or is he a situational deep threat like Devery Henderson was?

Think about all the other teams that will remember not taking him before us in the third or late in the second in your scenario. His wrist has to be worse than reported if he fell that far.

We cannot say that for certain that all teams were right. Usually they are on the mark but every once in a while all team's collectively blunder. Last draft not sure what was the excuse of say Martvais Bryant falling to the 4th. Or Russell Wilson still being available in the 3rd round and so on.

Why do you keep insisting that Glennon was available???  He obviously wasn't!  And if he was,  I didn't read anywhere that any team approached TB about a possible trade.   Now, with all the quarterback needy teams out there and this weak qb class, if someone really wanted him they would have made a legit offer.  Did you read about any offers that were rebuffed?  I know I didn't so either nothing was leaked to the press, TB made it known he wasn't on the block or NO ONE HAD ANY REAL INTEREST.   Could be All of The ABove; I don't know. 

I don't think the Jets will be one of those teams.  Devin Smith has a huge ceiling and the ability to be much more then a deep threat; in a year or two we will all look back at this draft and smile that we took him.  Now the team that SHOULD have taken Strong is the 49ers.  I could not believe they passed over him after losing Michael Crabtree.  He would have been the PERFECT replacement and would have a chance to learn from Anquan Boldin, with whom he is very similar to.   Kaep and Strong would have been an awesome combination. 

We cannot say that for certain that all teams were right. Usually they are on the mark but every once in a while all team's collectively blunder. Last draft not sure what was the excuse of say Martvais Bryant falling to the 4th. Or Russell Wilson still being available in the 3rd round and so on.

Bryant didn't "fall". He went where he was projected to go.  That just showed how deep that receiver class was.  Just like this year. Tre McBride, Dezmin Lewis, DeAndre Smelter all went in the 7th round.  I believe every last one of them can play in the NFL. 

Oline and RB situation should have been addressed earlier. Also the Devin Smith pick feels like a need reach rather than BAP. Can he be a starter in this league or is he a situational deep threat like Devery Henderson was?

Devin Smith is a 1st round talent drafted in the 2nd round. You want to know a reach that's basically a situational deep threat looks like? 

635661787890746695-20-Dorsett.jpg

He wasn't a reach at all.  Based on the fact that we already have two if not three established starters already, he can come in and focus on his strength which is being the best deep threat in college football, while honing his other skills with no pressure on him to start. 

Devin Smith is a 1st round talent drafted in the 2nd round. You want to know a reach that's basically a situational deep threat looks like? 

635661787890746695-20-Dorsett.jpg

Great point. I liked Dorsett but no way would I have taken him in the first round. 

Bryant didn't "fall". He went where he was projected to go.  That just showed how deep that receiver class was.  Just like this year. Tre McBride, Dezmin Lewis, DeAndre Smelter all went in the 7th round.  I believe every last one of them can play in the NFL. 

I do not remember Bryant being project as a 4th round pick anywhere. But i do not read the mock drafts. There are just too many. IIRC, Consensus was he was 2nd round pick. Also Russell Wilson.

I thought Tre McBride was a missed opportunity in the 7th and i mentioned this in some post today.

Archived