Dexter McDougle Player Profile

JetNation

Dexter McDougle

Name: Dexter McDougle

Position: CB

HT: 5′ 10″ WT: 196

College: Maryland

Acquired: 2014 Draft/ 3rd Round (80th overall)

Twitter: @Blasian_Kiddd

Dexter McDougle was born in Woodbridge, Virginia and attended Stafford Senior High School. Suiting up with Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith, McDougle was in good company during his time playing for the Indians. Being a two-way athlete in high school, McDougle spent time playing cornerback, safety, wide receiver, and runningback.

McDougle was rated as a three star prospect coming out of high school, and joined Torrey Smith at Maryland for his college career. McDougle’s first year with the Terrapins was a redshirt year, but he went on to impress with his athleticism and leadership abilities. Four games into his senior year McDougle fractured his shoulder, but had shown real promise with three interceptions. McDougle received the inaugural Dexter McDougle Ultimate Player Award for his continued support and leadership of the team despite his injury. Academics were also important to McDougle, he received an Academic All-ACC selection twice. McDougle finished his college career with 151 total tackles, five and a half tackles for a loss, six interceptions, and 19 passes defended.

The Jets selected McDougle in the 2014 draft with the 80th overall pick. Unfortunately McDougle’s rookie season with the Jets was over before it started. The day after the Jets first preseason game against the Colts, McDougle tore his ACL effectively ending his season. McDougle recorded one tackle, and one pass defended in that game.

This season will be a different story for McDougle who would have likely had a chance to become a starter on last year’s team. McDougle now joins a loaded secondary, and will have to compete for playing time.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
3yWBkMDzBRA

View the full article

Also because he was injured and reached for in the 3rd. Not reached for talent wise but reached for due to the injury.

I think it was more because it was an idzik move and for the fact that no one knew who he was. Even I wanted Phillip Gaines at that spot given that he was available. However, the association with Idzik made it a tad overblown. Eric Decker coming out of Minnesota was an injured WR and was taken in the 3rd round if im correct, and would have probably been taken higher if not for the injury. So if it wasnt a reach based on talent then the 3rd round seems like a good spot for a guy that you believe in. Peoples assumption that we could have gotten him later (blaming idzik for not doing so) was the beef, not that we could confirm that he would have actually been there for the taking. 

I think it was more because it was an idzik move and for the fact that no one knew who he was. Even I wanted Phillip Gaines at that spot given that he was available. However, the association with Idzik made it a tad overblown. Eric Decker coming out of Minnesota was an injured WR and was taken in the 3rd round if im correct, and would have probably been taken higher if not for the injury. So if it wasnt a reach based on talent then the 3rd round seems like a good spot for a guy that you believe in. Peoples assumption that we could have gotten him later (blaming idzik for not doing so) was the beef, not that we could confirm that he would have actually been there for the taking.

We needed wide outs really bad too. Probably angered a lot of people who favored we get a wide out some time earlier than a corner. Both position groups were terrible though.

Dexter McDougle is the TRUTH. Why doesn't this guy get more hype? He was crazy good in college. 

Really?

He had a 5th round grade on him by most web sites.     Now he hasn't played in 2 years.  It's not a given he will make the roster.  

We needed wide outs really bad too. Probably angered a lot of people who favored we get a wide out some time earlier than a corner. Both position groups were terrible though.

Idzik did drop the ball with addressing the WR's given how it ended up. Alot of people banged the table for Martavis Bryant especially after seeing what he did for the Steelers, but I also feel like that production wouldnt have occurred in a Jets uni, so it would have probably ended up being "we could have taken a WR in the 1st but instead we took Martavis Bryant" lol. It was a lose/lose situation for Idzik in some regard. The moment he wasnt able to truly clean house and start from scratch (like we see today) I should have known that it was the beginning of the end for that guy. I did have high hopes on him. 

Idzik did drop the ball with addressing the WR's given how it ended up. Alot of people banged the table for Martavis Bryant especially after seeing what he did for the Steelers, but I also feel like that production wouldnt have occurred in a Jets uni, so it would have probably ended up being "we could have taken a WR in the 1st but instead we took Martavis Bryant" lol. It was a lose/lose situation for Idzik in some regard. The moment he wasnt able to truly clean house and

start from scratch (like we see today) I should have known that it was the beginning of the end for that guy. I did have high hopes on him.

Gotta disagree. Bryant was is everything we wanted Stephen Hill to become.

Tall, fast receiver who could actually catch. Geno would have loved him.

Gotta disagree. Bryant was is everything we wanted Stephen Hill to become.

Tall, fast receiver who could actually catch. Geno would have loved him.

I dont understand what are you disagreeing with.  Anyone was better than Hill, thats why he's no longer on the team. Hindsight shows how valuable Bryant is...for the steelers, but he was a 4th rounder. And it doesnt hurt to have an MVP caliber WR on the opposite side of the field. Bryant had 550 yards on the year, it wasnt like he was tearing it up. it was his 8 TD's that really put him on the map. All im saying is I doubt he would have had those numbers in a Jets uni. He probably would have had half the yards and half the TD's and Jet fans would have been pissed with the "Idzick" pick.

I dont understand what are you disagreeing with.  Anyone was better than Hill, thats why he's no longer on the team. Hindsight shows how valuable Bryant is...for the steelers, but he was a 4th rounder. And it doesnt hurt to have an MVP caliber WR on the opposite side of the field. Bryant had 550 yards on the year, it wasnt like he was tearing it up. it was his 8 TD's that really put him on the map. All im saying is I doubt he would have had those numbers in a Jets uni. He probably would have had half the yards and half the TD's and Jet fans would have been pissed with the "Idzick" pick.

Keep in mind that the 550 yards he put up was in ten games.

Despite all the talented WR's in last year's crop, he was arguably the best or 2nd best "HR threat" in the class.  Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but wasn't the deep ball the one thing Geno did well in his rookie year?

Not saying McDougle was a bad pick, especially since he's poised to well out-perform his draft grade in my mind, but Bryant was one of many WR candidates that made sense for us in that '14 draft.

Despite all the talented WR's in last year's crop, he was arguably the best or 2nd best "HR threat" in the class.  Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but wasn't the deep ball the one thing Geno did well in his rookie year?

Not saying McDougle was a bad pick, especially since he's poised to well out-perform his draft grade in my mind, but Bryant was one of many WR candidates that made sense for us in that '14 draft.

Im not saying that taking Bryant would have been bad, and Im not saying that you're wrong. Im saying that given the Jets circumstance I dont think that Bryant would have had close to such a rookie year if a Jet. Remember, QB's have to throw that deep ball. How many times have we seen Geno either not recognize the read, or when he does, either over throw a guy like Hill or even last year overthrow Harvin? 

I think Bryant is in a good spot, the Jets wouldnt have been a good spot for him. 

Have you not seen his tape? He was an absolute baller in college. He is going to be really good in the NFL.

Can't fault a fan for believing in his team , but Tim Tebow was a baller in college( most of the guys who get drafted were ballers in college too. What they did in college has no bearing what they will do in the Pro's. Total different game.

Why do people keep talking about this kid like he's the next Deion Sanders? I mean, I hope he works out to and earns a roster spot, I really do, but we need to be realistic about him: First of all, he's injury prone. Aside from the torn acl that kept him from even finishing training camp in his rookie season, he missed much of his senior year due to a broken collarbone, and most of his junior year with broken knuckles. 

Second, he has yet to play in an NFL game, let alone finish a training camp, and he's coming into a roster that is now already loaded with talent. 

Again, I know he's a hard worker and a kid that I am really rooting for, and I seriously hope he works out and becomes a solid #3 or #4 (I have as little hope for injury-prone Dee Milliner, but at least he has some playing time), but really, I'm not holding my breath. We shouldn't be too disappointed if he doesn't make the final roster cut.  

Simms says that line every game in Madden 15.

Injury prone players rarely turn into iron men in the NFL and McDougle has had an injury history at every level which apparently goes all the way back to high school.  I expect him to flash in TC and then get injured again.

I am disagreeing with the idea that Bryant would have been ineffective on the Jets.  I think his deep speed would have been a God send and the reason I bring up Hill is because that is what we thought we were getting from him.   For a 4th round rookie I will take 550 yards and even 5 TDs every day of the week. 

I am disagreeing with the idea that Bryant would have been ineffective on the Jets.  I think his deep speed would have been a God send and the reason I bring up Hill is because that is what we thought we were getting from him.   For a 4th round rookie I will take 550 yards and even 5 TDs every day of the week. 

I Don't believe that. 

Archived