Geno possibly back week 1?

House Jet

Yeah that's what I had heard. Basically meaning if Geno came back week 5, and the team was 3-1 with Fitz playing well, Geno wouldn't necessarily be the starter right away.

But if he's ready to play week 1 with even a week's worth of practice beforehand, figured Geno would start. Just based on camp reports of how Geno has looked much better than Fitz.

Geno was also getting 1st team reps Fitz wasn't..

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Geno gets back sooner than originally thought it doesn't change anything imo. Fitz is the starter now until proven otherwise. We can't just keep switching every 2 weeks. The guys have rallied behind Fitz.

Have they? The incident happened like 5 days ago. Not that im calling for Geno's return, but seriously, it happened less than a week ago. To your credit, the team does have the entire preseason to rally behind him. 

Yeah that's what I had heard. Basically meaning if Geno came back week 5, and the team was 3-1 with Fitz playing well, Geno wouldn't necessarily be the starter right away.

But if he's ready to play week 1 with even a week's worth of practice beforehand, figured Geno would start. Just based on camp reports of how Geno has looked much better than Fitz.

Jets could be 1-3 but Fitz plays well and the DEF cost us games.  I wouldn't worry too much about records.  I only see Geno getting back in if Fitz has an injury.

Geno was also getting 1st team reps Fitz wasn't..

Well I guess we'll find out soon enough. I'd love for Bowels to give this some more clarity. But he probably wants to rally the troops behind Fitz until Geno is close to coming back. Then (if near week 1) I'd bet we'll see Geno as the starter. Wouldn't bet a lot on that, but still think odds are in his favor because he has the higher upside.

Well I guess we'll find out soon enough. I'd love for Bowels to give this some more clarity. But he probably wants to rally the troops behind Fitz until Geno is close to coming back. Then (if near week 1) I'd bet we'll see Geno as the starter. Wouldn't bet a lot on that, but still think odds are in his favor because he has the higher upside.

Any troop rallying is up to the QB not the HC.. Players will go to who they think gives them the best chance to win..

Any troop rallying is up to the QB not the HC.. Players will go to who they think gives them the best chance to win..

In which case my money is still on Geno. Of course however it ends up though, I'll be rooting for whoever starts. I don't dislike Fitz. Just think Geno the better option.

He most likely won't be ready week 1.  He can be back for week 1 but he will be behind by that point and the more important installation of the rest of the offense and all the reps for the rest of August will be going to Fitz.  It would be a very bad idea imo to put Geno back in the game before the bye week.  If the jaw is good by around week 1 give him 4 weeks to get up to speed practicing and evaluate from there whether Fitz should sit back down.  Bowles is also going to have to gauge whether the team wants to follow Geno into battle anymore as well.  From reports, the team has moved on from Geno and is comfortable and even embracing Fitz at this point.

Some choice quotes from the AP article found here

"Those guys are a little more friendly to me now," Fitzpatrick joked Saturday while managing a straight face. "If I have something in my beard, they'll hand me a napkin, rather than laughing. They'll get me water if I need it. That kind of stuff.

"Life's a little bit easier in that regard."

"Sometimes we use that word 'chemistry,' but it's just going out there and practicing and doing your best," Marshall said. "So the good thing is Ryan is a smart guy and he really sees the field well. I think the adjustment will be easy for all of us, but it's going to definitely take some time."

Fitzpatrick looked awfully comfortable running things near the end of practice, when the Jets were working in situational drills. The offense needed eight points to tie and the clock was down to 6 seconds from inside the 10-yard line.

With a blitz coming from the starting defense, Fitzpatrick stepped up in the pocket and zipped a pass to Decker running a slant for a score. Moments later, Fitzpatrick found Marshall all alone in the corner of the end zone for the tying 2-point conversion.

"Plenty of good, plenty of bad that we can work on from this practice," Fitzpatrick said, "but it's fun being out there and being able to have the discussions and getting the reps."

"He's familiar with the offense," Marshall said. "So, there's no learning curve for him, if that makes any sense."

"Yeah, I mean, we still have to put the work in," Fitzpatrick said. "It makes it easier in the sense that I know what we need to do and how we need to get there. I know what path we need to take, but there's still a lot of hard work ahead of us to get there."

That means learning the tendencies of guys such as Marshall, and keeping the lines of communication open. Fitzpatrick said there's already a "decent comfort level," and expects it to only get better with four weeks to go before the regular-season opener at home against Cleveland.

"If there's a question that I have about why he's running a route a certain way, if there's a definitive way I want him to run his route, then we're going to talk about it," Fitzpatrick said. "I'm going to tell him where I stand and he's got enough experience where I'm going to listen to him a lot of the time, too, but that's part of it. It's not just the reps out there.

"It's sitting back and talking about reps we had or watching other guys go and say how would you run that and what would your depth be? That's going to be a lot of the chemistry as well."

If Geno is thrust back into starter all this work in August goes to waist and we'll essentially be behind the 8 ball again as Mangold would say.

In which case my money is still on Geno. Of course however it ends up though, I'll be rooting for whoever starts. I don't dislike Fitz. Just think Geno the better option.

Well I can see how many players came out to say how much Geno will be missed..Wait what??

He most likely won't be ready week 1.  He can be back for week 1 but he will be behind by that point and the more important installation of the rest of the offense and all the reps for the rest of August will be going to Fitz.  It would be a very bad idea imo to put Geno back in the game before the bye week.  If the jaw is good by around week 1 give him 4 weeks to get up to speed practicing and evaluate from there whether Fitz should sit back down.  Bowles is also going to have to gauge whether the team wants to follow Geno into battle anymore as well.  From reports, the team has moved on from Geno and is comfortable and even embracing Fitz at this point.

Some choice quotes from the AP article found

If Geno is thrust back into starter all this work in August goes to waist and we'll essentially be behind the 8 ball again as Mangold would say.

I'd expect nothing less from the player quotes. Normal stuff I think many reporters are reading into too much.

Very well may end up as you suggest. But if Geno does come back and start early, I think that will show Bowels/Gailey really think Geno is the much better option. Which should only help his confidence and the team's confidence in him. Until Geno is ready to go though, I expect all reports to be awesome for Fitz. Just the way this game works.

Have they? The incident happened like 5 days ago. Not that im calling for Geno's return, but seriously, it happened less than a week ago. To your credit, the team does have the entire preseason to rally behind him. 

It seems that way, to me at least. But you're right it has been limited time since the incident. 

How might Geno Smith's surgery affect his return to Jets? We asked a doctor

1 / 23

(Amanda Marzullo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Print Email Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on August 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM, updated August 14, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Geno Smith on Thursday had surgery on his broken jaw, and the Jets confirmed he had to have plates and screws inserted instead of having the jaw wired shut.

So: Will that affect the six-to-10-week timetable for Smith's return? No, according to Dr. James Gladstone, the co-chief of sports medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.

To be clear: Gladstone did not evaluate Smith personally. But he agreed to offer his professional opinion to NJ Advance Media over the phone based on his understanding of what's known about the nature of Smith's injury.

"In some respects, needing plate and screws could indicate that the injury is worse" than if Smith had needed to have his jaw wired shut, Gladstone said. "There are many fragments of bone that have to be pieced back together. That could be done better with plates and screws than with the wiring."

Gladstone said the plates and screws were likely used because Smith, the Jets' quarterback, had more than one break in his jaw, which squares with a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter that said Smith's jaw had been broken in two places thanks to a punch from then-teammate IK Enemkpali.

"By using the plate and screws, you're aligning it straight and putting the pieces back together sort of like jigsaw puzzle, which putting a cast on or wiring the jaw shut can't do," Gladstone said.

PLUS: What getting punched by a teammate says about Geno Smith

Plates and screws also ensures "as perfect an alignment as possible" with the bones, Gladstone said.

None of this, however, will likely affect the initial timetable of six to 10 weeks Smith was given Tuesday, the day of the fateful punch. The bones still have to heal.

"That's a biologic process," Gladstone said. "That takes the same amount of time, whether you're just holding things in place with the wire, or whether you have it in place with the plate and screws. The timetable doesn't change."

A six-week return would have Smith back in time for the Jets' Week 3 game against the Eagles. Ten weeks would take until Week 7 at the Patriots. Not that it matters all that much. Head coach Todd Bowles has said Smith's job is not guaranteed upon his return, and it also sounds like Smith is losing the locker room.

Gladstone also said as long as Smith returns to action once the bones have healed, he shouldn't be at any additional risk of injury beyond the sort that football normally presents to players.

"Once bone heals, it's essentially as strong as it was before," Gladstone said. "In football, you get concussions, you get neck injuries, you get call kinds of extremity injuries and joint injuries. But you rarely hear about a football player breaking his jaw, and I think that's because the helmet does protect that area of the face."

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Fitz seems like a cool enough guy, but his arm is weak and he just doesn't have the same upside as those guys with a strong arm e.g. Geno, as sh*tty as he is.  The season was pretty much garbage from the moment we knew we were riding with Geno or Fitz.  The only hope was the rare instance Geno takes a step forward, because we've already seen Fitz's story unfold season after season. 

Fitz seems like a cool enough guy, but his arm is weak and he just doesn't have the same upside as those guys with a strong arm e.g. Geno, as sh*tty as he is.  The season was pretty much garbage from the moment we knew we were riding with Geno or Fitz.  The only hope was the rare instance Geno takes a step forward, because we've already seen Fitz's story unfold season after season. 

Good point strong arm weak brain.. :winking0001:

I'd expect nothing less from the player quotes. Normal stuff I think many reporters are reading into too much.

Very well may end up as you suggest. But if Geno does come back and start early, I think that will show Bowels/Gailey really think Geno is the much better option. Which should only help his confidence and the team's confidence in him. Until Geno is ready to go though, I expect all reports to be awesome for Fitz. Just the way this game works.

If anything that would stunt Geno's maturation once again.  He needs to EARN the job and not feel like he is the only option.  In case this needs to be reminded, I might just need to change my sig to this for a constant reminder:

Explain to me why you feel the need to defend or want a QB that:

• Geno pushes to ground 71 yr old coach in college.
  • Geno Smith squirms and flees Radio City when he slipped out of the 1st round showing mental weaknesses.
  • Missed a team meeting on the road, Team didn't hold him accountable, he didn't hold himself accountable and used stupid time excuses.
  • Couldn't handle the pressure of a heckling fan. Shouted F**K YOU to a Jet fan and flipped the bird, says he's sorry and its part of his learning process.
  • Gets thrown off a plane for an altercation with a flight attendant.
  • Geno Smith got into a little jawing match with Titans defensive lineman Jurrell Casey. Apparently Casey didn’t like what he heard, because he gave the Jets quarterback a nice punch in the noggin.
  • Is asked about being ranked 32nd QB for 2nd straight year and he says he finds it "laughable".
  • Can't handle personal business outside of work and gets physically assaulted in the process. (rumors now of Geno provoking it)
  • Teammates don't go to bat for him. Hold him accountable and partly to blame for damaging the teams possible success this season.

Please give me one successful QB in this league that has this pattern and track record of immaturity and lack of leadership?  I doubt you can find one b/c they don't exist.

He has earned no respect from anyone and continues to show that he is a child and not a leader of men.

I want to be wrong about Geno in the worst way and wanted to give him one last shot to prove to me he can be a consistent QB.  He couldn't even get to the reg season to prove it because of his damn head and his stupid actions.

Well I can see how many players came out to say how much Geno will be missed..Wait what??

Even if he will be missed, it'd be really dumb to say so. Always have to express confidence in the current starter. If Fitz were to get hurt, we'd start hearing great things about Petty instead of how Fitz will be missed.

Gotta sell tickets.

What upside does Geno offer besides guarantee a great draft spot.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Even if he will be missed, it'd be really dumb to say so. Always have to express confidence in the current starter. If Fitz were to get hurt, we'd start hearing great things about Petty instead of how Fitz will be missed.

Gotta sell tickets.

No it wouldn't I'm not talking as a QB, I was talking as just a teammate and players do it for respected teammates all the time..

No it wouldn't I'm not talking as a QB, I was talking as just a teammate and players do it for respected teammates all the time..

Actually pausing and thinking about this you are absolutely right.  Where was the "I hope Geno has a speedy recovery and can get back to helping this team be successful this year"  Nothing about being a starter, just plain support.

Explain to me why you feel the need to defend or want a QB that...

Because he's the best QB we have. Really that simple. I want to win.

As I've mentioned in other threads, the leader thing is overblown. It's this year that makes or breaks Geno's career. Any team counting on an immature 2nd round pick to be the teams's leader is already F'ed.

Also true if they expect a journeyman, mediocre 34yr old QB to be their leader.

Leadership will have to come from other players until we have a franchise QB.

What upside does Geno offer besides guarantee a great draft spot.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

C'mon, you already know what I'm going to say.

1. More ability

2. Younger with chance to be the qb for a while

3. Still leaning and improving

4. Finally has weapons and a good system

Yada yada... all the stuff said this whole off season. I didn't want to draft the guy. Didn't want him starting year 1. But it is what it is now.

Actually pausing and thinking about this you are absolutely right.  Where was the "I hope Geno has a speedy recovery and can get back to helping this team be successful this year"  Nothing about being a starter, just plain support.

True. But you also have to consider the sources we have. You think these reporters want to print supportive quotes from players or cause a QB controversy?

Because he's the best QB we have. Really that simple. I want to win.

As I've mentioned in other threads, the leader thing I'd overblown. It's this year that makes or breaks Geno's career. Any team counting on an immature 2nd round pick to be the teams's leader is already F'ed.

Also true if they expect a journeyman, mediocre 34yr old QB to be their leader.

Leadership will have to come from other players until we have a franchise QB.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.  I find the "i want to win" short sighted.  I want to win too!  But we just hit the reset button and its time to build a new brand, new philosophy and I'm willing to be patient and get the right pieces in place to make this team a perennial playoff team.  If that take an extra 2 or 3 years of dealing with a Vet journeyman as QB so be it.  There are 52 other players on the team that you need to focus on as well and not damage them in the process.

I'm probably in the minority but I think Gailey + Fitz plus the most talented team either of them ever had is going to do just fine this year.  I won't claim playoffs this year as I think our division is going to be pretty tough and the rest of the AFC will be as well it might not be possible to even get a WC in our division this year.  I don't think we can win 12+ games this year so the division title is probably not reachable this season.

If anything that would stunt Geno's maturation once again.  He needs to EARN the job and not feel like he is the only option.  In case this needs to be reminded, I might just need to change my sig to this for a constant reminder:

Explain to me why you feel the need to defend or want a QB that:

• Geno pushes to ground 71 yr old coach in college.
  • Geno Smith squirms and flees Radio City when he slipped out of the 1st round showing mental weaknesses.
  • Missed a team meeting on the road, Team didn't hold him accountable, he didn't hold himself accountable and used stupid time excuses.
  • Couldn't handle the pressure of a heckling fan. Shouted F**K YOU to a Jet fan and flipped the bird, says he's sorry and its part of his learning process.
  • Gets thrown off a plane for an altercation with a flight attendant.
  • Geno Smith got into a little jawing match with Titans defensive lineman Jurrell Casey. Apparently Casey didn’t like what he heard, because he gave the Jets quarterback a nice punch in the noggin.
  • Is asked about being ranked 32nd QB for 2nd straight year and he says he finds it "laughable".
  • Can't handle personal business outside of work and gets physically assaulted in the process. (rumors now of Geno provoking it)
  • Teammates don't go to bat for him. Hold him accountable and partly to blame for damaging the teams possible success this season.

Please give me one successful QB in this league that has this pattern and track record of immaturity and lack of leadership?  I doubt you can find one b/c they don't exist.

He has earned no respect from anyone and continues to show that he is a child and not a leader of men.

I want to be wrong about Geno in the worst way and wanted to give him one last shot to prove to me he can be a consistent QB.  He couldn't even get to the reg season to prove it because of his damn head and his stupid actions.

Simple answer would be that he "gives us the best chance to win". Which, if a playoff run is what you define as winning we definitely have a better chance with Geno. You could argue that under Geno we have a greater chance to lose more games as well. So under Geno our win range might be 4-11 and under Fitz 5-9.

Second, there is another simple way to view the Jets players comments. Instead of not "supporting" Geno, they may think that Geno gives them a far better chance to win, and because the situation seems avoidable they may be pissed at Geno for forcing them to use Fitz and endanger the season.

Third, didn't Favre or someone actually play with a broken jaw?

True. But you also have to consider the sources we have. You think these reporters want to print supportive quotes from players or cause a QB controversy?

Absolutely I do.  Not all reporters are that biased.  If they were we wouldn't be having articles right now about how Petty has so much potential but NOT to rush him into the game.  That the Jets should be nurturing him for 2 or maybe even 3 years.  If all they cared about was controversy they would be pushing the Petty agenda.  But nobody is.

I'm probably in the minority but I think Gailey + Fitz plus the most talented team either of them ever had is going to do just fine this year.  I won't claim playoffs this year as I think our division is going to be pretty tough and the rest of the AFC will be as well it might not be possible to even get a WC in our division this year.  I don't think we can win 12+ games this year so the division title is probably not reachable this season.

Look at 2008 Brady goes down they go 11-5 and don't make the playoffs..

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.  I find the "i want to win" short sighted.  I want to win too!  But we just hit the reset button and its time to build a new brand, new philosophy and I'm willing to be patient and get the right pieces in place to make this team a perennial playoff team.  If that take an extra 2 or 3 years of dealing with a Vet journeyman as QB so be it.  There are 52 other players on the team that you need to focus on as well and not damage them in the process.

Fair enough. Hope I'm right, but your view makes sense too. It's off season hype, but the thought of our D with and improved Geno/offense gives me hope that the playoffs aren't out of the question. If I give up on that... sure, play for a draft pick and slowly build the team.

For a few weeks at least, I'll be in a "win now" mode.

Simple answer would be that he "gives us the best chance to win". Which, if a playoff run is what you define as winning we definitely have a better chance with Geno. You could argue that under Geno we have a greater chance to lose more games as well. So under Geno our win range might be 4-11 and under Fitz 5-9.

Second, there is another simple way to view the Jets players comments. Instead of not "supporting" Geno, they may think that Geno gives them a far better chance to win, and because the situation seems avoidable they may be pissed at Geno for forcing them to use Fitz and endanger the season.

Third, didn't Favre or someone actually play with a broken jaw?

Don't get me wrong, the talent is there, I'll never argue that but 80% of QB play is about whats going on above the shoulders.  And everything I listed pretty much tells me that this guy is lacking that 80% and that's not even including reading defenses.  Do I think he can turn it all around?  As a pretty positive person I do think he can but I don't think he will if we haphazardly just give him the keys to the porsche again.  I think he needs to stew and not be trusted and actually work and earn his right again.  I said in another thread how I think he should approach the team and org and start from the ground up again.  If he would do what I suggested I think the potential for him could be there again but he needs to learn and be humbled.

Fair enough. Hope I'm right, but your view makes sense too. It's off season hype, but the thought of our D with and improved Geno/offense gives me hope that the playoffs aren't out of the question. If I give up on that... sure, play for a draft pick and slowly build the team.

For a few weeks at least, I'll be in a "win now" mode.

If somehow we come out of the first 4 weeks 3-1 or 4-0 I'll be screaming WIN NOW! no matter who is QB :D

Archived