fitz= worst qb maybe ever to start for a jets team

kmnj

awesome, let me know when he helps a team get to postseason and win in postseason like Mark has.  this is precisely why we don't evaluate based solely on stats.

Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson are far better Qb's than Dan Marino.

Eli Manning is far better than Peyton Manning.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take a sh*tty 24-year-old over a sh*tty 32-year-old any day of the week. 

Not when as a 24 year old you are apt to cough up the ball more than a crappy aging vet that has learned a few of those lessons.  Unless of course you really feel that Geno is the long term answer, then have at it.

I live in Florida. The Bucs are on here every week. I've seen more of Glennon than you. He's less than nothing special. He is mediocre. If he wasn't, he'd be competing for the Bucs starting job. 

You're dissing Glennon as carp and actually supporting Geno?  Ha ha ha ha ha....breath......ha ha ha ha ha

Not when as a 24 year old you are apt to cough up the ball more than a crappy aging vet that has learned a few of those lessons.  Unless of course you really feel that Geno is the long term answer, then have at it.

They are equally as likely to cough up the football. 

Youth >>>>>>>>> sh*tty experience. 

I take a sh*tty 24-year-old over a sh*tty 32-year-old any day of the week. 

I was looking forward to see if Geno was going to show vast improvement this year as well.. But his idiotic handling of the IK situation makes me think he lacks what is needed to be a successful NFL QB.. Now I'm just hoping Petty grows into a bonafide starting NFL QB..

Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson are far better Qb's than Dan Marino.

what do those guys have to do w/ this situation?  all 4 very underrated Qbs though, you don't win a SB w/ a bad QB.

Eli is far better than Peyton in postseason but he rarely makes it there and Peyton makes it every year.

nice job deflecting though.  these guys have nothing to do w/ Fitz who has never won more than 6 games in any season and has been on capable teams.

You're dissing Glennon as carp and actually supporting Geno?  Ha ha ha ha ha....breath......ha ha ha ha ha

Only if you can't read. 

Geno's current status as a member of the Jets roster is the only reason I am interested in seeing what he can do. I wouldn't trade for Geno either. 

Geno is currently a Jet. This season was all about finding out whether or not he could show improvement in a new system tailored to his skill set with better personnel around him. 

If Geno were on another team's roster I would be as against trading for him as I am against trading for Glennon.

This is like teaching remedial football. 

these guys just don't know what they're talking.  Winston was bashed on this and JI last year now they're about to eat a buffet of sh-t so they shift the focus on Glennon yet another qb the amateur hour crowd hates because of "win-loss" record

I was looking forward to see if Geno was going to show vast improvement this year as well.. But his idiotic handling of the IK situation makes me think he lacks what is needed to be a successful NFL QB.. Now I'm just hoping Petty grows into a bonafide starting NFL QB..

I don't agree. Geno could have handled it better sure. The fact is it was an awkward social situation and I.K. punched his QB. This is all on I.K. You don't punch people to solve problems. I don't care what Geno said or did. The guy who threw the punch is always in the wrong. 

these guys just don't know what they're talking.  Winston was bashed on this and JI last year now they're about to eat a buffet of sh-t so they shift the focus on Glennon yet another qb the amateur hour crowd hates because of "win-loss" record

it's not just about wins and losses though ultimately that is all that matters.  when you are on capable teams and do not win that is a bad sign, geno has never been on a capable team and his team was able to win 8 w/ him one season yet Fitz in all his years has never won more than 6.  a year ago his backups were 3-1 while he was 6-6 and his backups beat the only playoff bound team they would beat all season but Fitz is awesome b/c he has a high comp % and threw 6 TDs in one game!

I don't hate Mike Glennon. I think he is bad at playing quarterback based on what I have seen with my own two eyes. 

nah man we got some geniuses here who want to trade for Ryan Mallet instead - the guy who can't beat out a total scrub like Brian Hoyer

The guy Texan fans overwhelmingly wanted over Fitzpatrick.  Even after his great year with top notch stats.

I don't agree. Geno could have handled it better sure. The fact is it was an awkward social situation and I.K. punched his QB. This is all on I.K. You don't punch people to solve problems. I don't care what Geno said or did. The guy who threw the punch is always in the wrong. 

You don't try to cheat teammates either they were both wrong you think just IK was.. Even Bowles said they were both wrong..

yeah because that's the preeminent knowledge of football a bunch of Houston Texan bloggers

Fitz is Montana compared to Mallett.

Not sure this thread is really going anywhere.  Let's hope over the next week at least 1 of 3 things happens.

1.  Fitz shows some NFL caliber skills.

2.  Petty gets time with the 1s and looks great doing it. (Great stats too.)

3.  Bowels announces Geno may be back week 1 or 2.

I don't care which one of those happens.  But hopefully at least one does.

You don't try to cheat teammates either they were both wrong you think just IK was.. Even Bowles said they were both wrong..

Meh... None of us really know what happened nor will we ever. I'm just not ready to claim I learned anything about Geno Smith based on what we actually do know of this ridiculous situation. 

One thing I do know - had I.K. not thrown a punch, we would never know there was an issue. 

Not sure this thread is really going anywhere.  Let's hope over the next week at least 1 of 3 things happens.

1.  Fitz shows some NFL caliber skills.

2.  Petty gets time with the 1s and looks great doing it. (Great stats too.)

3.  Bowels announces Geno may be back week 1 or 2.

I don't care which one of those happens.  But hopefully at least one does.

I would like 1 and 3.  I want to see Petty keep improving but I also do not want to see him rushed.

I would like 1 and 3.  I want to see Petty keep improving but I also do not want to see him rushed.

Sounds good to me.  But if 1 and 3 don't happen, I'll be rooting for Bowels to put Petty in about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Come on Fitz, if you read these boards, just try it man.  Get some kids in your neighborhood to help you this week if you're too embarrassed to start with the team.  Have them run 25 yd routes and try to reach them w/o bouncing the ball.  Doesn't even have to be on target.  Just close enough to appear like a threat.

Only if you can't read. 

Geno's current status as a member of the Jets roster is the only reason I am interested in seeing what he can do. I wouldn't trade for Geno either. 

Geno is currently a Jet. This season was all about finding out whether or not he could show improvement in a new system tailored to his skill set with better personnel around him. 

If Geno were on another team's roster I would be as against trading for him as I am against trading for Glennon.

This is like teaching remedial football. 

Just who the hell declared the bolded part?  This whole season was premised on hoping a guy who was the worst starter two years running could suddenly become good and so the team broke the bank on both sides of the ball just to see if Geno could 'be the guy?'

mark sanchez is and was head and shoulders better than Ryan Fitzpatrick. you can give me all the meaningless fantasy stats you want, a team can win w/ Mark, a team cannot win w/ Fitz.

He was garbage.  Until Fitz is proven to be garbage you can't equate him with Sanchez. Fair is fair. 

@Beerfish

This quoting is wacky...but this was in response to you're quote of Klacko:

Would you considered the fact the coaching staff had him penciled as the starter, declaring the bolded part? 

Why else was he the starter until he got knocked the **** out? 

Because we simply could not get anyone better at this moment.  They actually brought in one of the better vet alternatives that the oc had worked with before.  To characterize the fact that last years starter began the year as this years starter as being 'They were committed to find out what geno could really do this year' is false imo.

Also what did bowles say after geno got punched and was out?  Did he say, When Geno comes back he is our guy?  Nope, far from it.  It is now Fitzpatricks starter job to lose.

I've been a fan of the Jets since birth and it wasnt by choice.

The 2 QB's you're referring to were young and in the very least gave me some hope for a franchise QB.  Fitz does not.  He's terrible, has been terrible for a long time and he looks like he literally cant even get the ball 15 yards down field.  If Fitzgerald (you dont even know how the starting QB is) excites you, then I'm happy for you. He doesnt excite me and since this a place to share your feelings, I dont think I'll pipe down.  K?

I dont give a **** if you take me seriously but I'm seriously very depressed about having to sit through a season of Fitzpatrick not Fitzgerald. 

OMG!?!?!?! You're nervous about the defense?  Have you been fan for the past half decade or so?  The starters havent even played an extended preseason game yet.  Maybe pipe down? 

The only thing you can point out is that I called Fitzpatrick "Fitzgerald", an Irish error of which I don't give a fitz****.  

Other than that, I stress two things:

1) Fitz > Geno - when picking between a proven journeyman vs a proven disaster, you select the journeyman. Every. Time.  

2) Neither I nor any one here I notice seems particularly excited by Fitz's very presence. He is, again, a journeyman who represents the best the Jets could do. And if he plays okay, non-disastrous football then that will be tapping into an "upside" that Geno is a stranger to.

Continuing with Geno, even pre-Knockout, would be an exercise in stupidity. 

The only thing you can point out is that I called Fitzpatrick "Fitzgerald", an Irish error of which I don't give a fitz****.  

1) Fitz > Geno - when picking between a proven journeyman vs a proven disaster, you select the journeyman. Every. Time.  

2) Neither I nor any one here I notice seems particularly excited by Fitz's very presence. He is, again, a journeyman who represents the best the Jets could do. And if he plays okay, non-disastrous football then that will be tapping into an "upside" that Geno is a stranger to.

Fitz is a known, he has had chances in numerous places and has never been able to get the job done.  Geno, while bad through the first 2 years, is still unknown and this would have been the first time he had top half NFL weapons.  we have a better chance to be a .500 team w/ Fitz, we have a better chance to be a 10 win team w/ geno though his floor is also lower.

Because we simply could not get anyone better at this moment.  They actually brought in one of the better vet alternatives that the oc had worked with before.  To characterize the fact that last years starter began the year as this years starter as being 'They were committed to find out what geno could really do this year' is false imo.

Also what did bowles say after geno got punched and was out?  Did he say, When Geno comes back he is our guy?  Nope, far from it.  It is now Fitzpatricks starter job to lose.

They were essentially committed to seeing what Geno could do. It's why they named Geno the starter, either despite or because of Fitzpatrick's history with Gailey. Geno is young, has tons of physical ability, is entering his third year as a pro, and it was the smart move to see once and for all whether he could be their starting QB long term.  

What happened after Geno got clocked is that Bowles' opinion of him changed. Previously he was overlooking some of Geno's maturity and personality issues, but once he became aware of the IK situation -and their teammates reactions- he couldn't overlook them anymore. He had no choice but to back Fitzpatrick 100%, just as he was previously backing Geno. 

I hope Fitzpatrick plays well enough to keep Geno on the bench. But next year will be Geno's last under contract, and they'll again be facing some of the same questions they were unable to answer this year. It's a situation they hoped to have cleared up. 

Then how would you describe it?  They just said **** it or flipped a coin?  haha

He didnt commit to Fitzpatrick in his comments regarding the situation.  That's for sure.  Now, he didnt commit to Geno either but still the only reason why Fitz is the starter now is because Geno isnt available.  That's fact.  So again, why did they chose Geno over Fitz if it wasnt because they thought he either gave them the better chance to win or they wanted to see what he could do with more weapons under Gailey's tutelage?  

1) The coaching staff disagreed with you.

2) Then why did the coaching staff pick Geno over Fitz?

They were essentially committed to seeing what Geno could do. It's why they named Geno the starter, either despite or because of Fitzpatrick's history with Gailey. Geno is young, has tons of physical ability, is entering his third year as a pro, and it was the smart move to see once and for all whether he could be their starting QB long term.  

What happened after Geno got clocked is that Bowles' opinion of him changed. Previously he was overlooking some of Geno's maturity and personality issues, but once he became aware of the IK situation -and their teammates reactions- he couldn't overlook them anymore. He had no choice but to back Fitzpatrick 100%, just as he was previously backing Geno. 

I hope Fitzpatrick plays well enough to keep Geno on the bench. But next year will be Geno's last under contract, and they'll again be facing some of the same questions they were unable to answer this year. It's a situation they hoped to have cleared up. 

Being committed and after getting punched not being committed is not logical and not believable, especially when in most cases starters, even if they suck hard are given the job far longer than they should have it.  They sure as hell were not committed if one incident suddenly changed it all.

1) The coaching staff disagreed with you.

2) Then why did the coaching staff pick Geno over Fitz?

2)  Because he was the incumbent starter.  Also, why are they picking Fitz over geno now?

If the jets weer as committed to Geno as some people seem to think then the info we would be geting is 'Geno is our guy as soon as he is healthy he is the starter.'

In the end we are all arguing somewhat moot points because neither one of these guys is particularly good and the Qb that will do something with this team long term is either Petty if we are lucky or some guy not on the roster.

Archived