IND Observations

KRL

That's awfully harsh of FITZ.  LAST NIGH FITZ WAS AN ASSET ON THIS TEAM.

The guy cant be perfect.

OK Rex.... you wanna play the "we can't be perfect" game, then i'll text Bill and Tom right now and tell them get their forks and knives ready.  

It was very convincing performance on defense, and an adequate showing by the offense... but we can't be doing that weekly. Hopefully in the film room, they go over those mistakes and figure out how to keep drives alive without (under)airing it out... Personally, I think this team misses a true warrior TE. 

It is the second game of the season for a brand new coaching staff, a bunch of new players and you are on the road on Monday night.  I have no problem with the plays called; Enunwa dropped two passes that would have been first downs.  My only issue was Fitz' two deep passes to  a double teamed Marshall but Marshall has come down with the ball in similar situations, the balls were poorly thrown and should have been to Marshalls back Shoulder; forcing the DB to Jump thru him to get to the ball.   You also have to give credit to the Colts defense for the way they played the run; I sure didn't expect them to play that well for as long as they did. 

BTW Parcells made a career of winning games like this with the Giants.  

I agree, it just thought it was bad.  I think the team is heading in the right direction and they are quite good, but like Bowles said - they aren't there yet.  Hopefully we stop the ultra conservative game plan on offense.  Yes, they took away the run, but gave us the middle of the field for throws and all the time to throw it... you have to capitalize...

I agree, it just thought it was bad.  I think the team is heading in the right direction and they are quite good, but like Bowles said - they aren't there yet.  Hopefully we stop the ultra conservative game plan on offense.  Yes, they took away the run, but gave us the middle of the field for throws and all the time to throw it... you have to capitalize...

And they will; again IT IS THE SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON.  Why not just enjoy the win?  

And they will; again IT IS THE SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON.  Why not just enjoy the win?  

I am totally enjoying the win (except I am so tired today).  This is a what did they do right, what they did wrong thread.  I just pointed out what they did wrong. I love the win, I love that we are competitive, and I love this defense.

Bowles talks about moving forward and trying to win while doing it; it is great stuff.  Talking about improving when a team is winning is the hallmark of a good coach.  You can't talk about improving without pointing out where you can get better

Thoughts

- Yesterday was why you don't judge games by matching QB's against one another.

Luck is better than Fitzpatrick (DUH), BUT they never play one another.  We had

distinct advantages outside of the QB position and we took advantage of them

- You saw a glimpse of what Bowles did in ARZ the last two years, it was an

absolute defensive clinic.  Think about it, we didn't get one recorded sack but

we had pressure all game.  You never heard the names of IND TE's (Fleener &

Allen) all night, when was the last time that ever happened (never)

- Excellent defensive adjustments on two fronts.  First we didn't stay with our

base 3-4.  We reduced the reps of Harrison and went to 4 man fronts by moving

Wilkerson & Williams to DT and rotating Douzable, Pace, Reilly & Coples at DE.

That gave us incredible athletic pressure up the middle in Luck's face.  Second

after getting gashed in the run game early we stopped that with late line shifting

before the snap which seemed to confuse IND offense

Bad

- OLine run blocking was below par.  Credit to IND for shutting us down, Henry

Anderson (DE) was particularly effective

- Our offense stalled too many times on the edge of scoring territory.  With five

turnovers they should've generated more than 20 points

- Fitzpatrick forced a couple of passes to Marshall (particularly the INT) while

Decker was "eating"

- Folk missed FG

- Quigley with his usual "shank".  On top of that his average was poor, he was

punting in perfect conditions (dome) you've got to be better than that

- Credit to Cro for playing but he had some shaky moments in coverage on Moncrief

Good

- Turnovers, TEN in two games!!!  Unbelievable

- Penalties, we had eight but two of them were committed when the game was

decided

- OLine pass protection was excellent.  Considering we were in spread for most of

the night and didn't run particularly well Fitzpatrick stayed clean

- Marshall was a beast.  What a pleasure to have a #1 WR that can take on and beat

any coverage

- Decker was also a beast, he's got to love playing with Marshall.  Because he now

gets to go against #2 & #3 CB's and they just can't check him.  Hopefully there's

nothing serious with his knee

- Other than some forced passes as mentioned earlier, Fitzpatrick is doing exactly

what we need. Efficient with a high completion %

- Great response by the offense after IND scored to make it 10-7.  They went right

down the field in a "got to have it" drive to score a TD and finish the game

- Wilkerson & Williams abused the interior of IND OLine all game

- Davis had a very good game particularly the way he timed his blitzes

- Pryor & Gilchrist had excellent games.  When was the last time both of our safeties

had INT's in the same game?

- Revis was solid and had three turnovers but Skrine had the best overall game.  He

blitzed (causing the first INT), covered and supported the run.  For those who didn't

know his game you got a glimpse of his talents last night

I usually agree with 80% of what you write, but I saw a different game last night. Lots of good points about the defense but Pryor simply sucks. Nobody is changing my mind on that.

The offense was a complete disaster. Fitz is a 3 on a scale of 1-10. Our Oline didn't show up and with Decker out we now have a true #1 and a bunch of 4's and 5's. We had a solid #3 in Kerley until he was basically removed from the rotation.

We also have no TE.

So far we faced Cleveland which is one of the worst teams in the league and their 2nd string QB, and a good team that is obviously struggling with some-sort-of identity crisis in Indy.

As soon as we play a team that can score and has a legitimate starting QB we are done. Won't happen this week because Philly is also out of sorts.... So we might even see 3-0. But as this season progresses we are tanking.

I predict 1-5 vs the AFC East this season.

Next year we need to:

keep Fitz as a 3rd string veteran insurance policy. A guy we could start if we were heading into the playoffs and our starter goes down. He can also school younger guys on Gaileys offense....

... And bring in a player in his 3rd or 4th year to battle with Petty in a true QB comp.

We also need to revamp this Oline. D'Brick sucks. Mangold is getting a bit long in the tooth and Colon will be gone. As for that fat loser who plays RT for us... He's not even in the conversation.

We need a bluechip LT in the draft, a high level RG from free agency and MAYBE we could move Brick to RT for one year as a transition.

Finally the TE position is a joke. Why we missed on so many solid free agents this year is beyond me, but we need a real threat at that position. Haven't had one since.... ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am totally enjoying the win (except I am so tired today).  This is a what did they do right, what they did wrong thread.  I just pointed out what they did wrong. I love the win, I love that we are competitive, and I love this defense.

Bowles talks about moving forward and trying to win while doing it; it is great stuff.  Talking about improving when a team is winning is the hallmark of a good coach.  You can't talk about improving without pointing out where you can get better

Fair enough. 

Our running offense was surprisingly poor and our run defense early and me nervous as well.  Indy was very smart as early on and in a lot of the game they had safety help most of the game on marshall.

Excellent all around game but we also benefited from some real luck.  The biggest play of the game was Gore fumbling for no reason as he was going in to the endzone untouched. 

Man I still cant believe that happened. Its about time we started getting some luck around here

I usually agree with 80% of what you write, but I saw a different game last night. Lots of good points about the defense but Pryor simply sucks. Nobody is changing my mind on that.

The offense was a complete disaster. Fitz is a 3 on a scale of 1-10. Our Oline didn't show up and with Decker out we now have a true #1 and a bunch of 4's and 5's. We had a solid #3 in Kerley until he was basically removed from the rotation.

We also have no TE.

So far we faced Cleveland which is one of the worst teams in the league and their 2nd string QB, and a good team that is obviously struggling with some-sort-of identity crisis in Indy.

As soon as we play a team that can score and has a legitimate starting QB we are done. Won't happen this week because Philly is also out of sorts.... So we might even see 3-0. But as this season progresses we are tanking.

Next year we need to:

keep Fitz as a 3rd string veteran insurance policy. A guy we could start if we were heading into the playoffs and our starter goes down. He can also school younger guys on Gaileys offense....

... And bring in a player in his 3rd or 4th year to battle with Petty in a true QB comp.

We also need to revamp this Oline. D'Brick sucks. Mangold is getting a bit long in the tooth and Colon will be gone. As for that fat loser who plays RT for us... He's not even in the conversation.

We need a bluechip LT in the draft, a high level RG from free agency and MAYBE we could move Brick to RT for one year as a transition.

Finally the TE position is a joke. Why we missed on so many solid free agents this year is beyond me, but we need a real threat at that position. Haven't had one since.... ever.

You seem like a fun person to hang out with 

We also have no TE.

Next year we need to:

4723891090_No20Whining_answer_1_xlarge.j

You seem like a fun person to hang out with 

The Jets aren't my life, so the fact they suck doesn't impact how fun I am to hang out with. However on a Jets board I exclusively talk about the Jets. And there is little positive to say

The Jets aren't my life, so the fact they suck doesn't impact how fun I am to hang out with. However on a Jets board I exclusively talk about the Jets. And there is little positive to say

the jets definitely do not suck.   they may not be super bowl ready but goddamn they are fun to watch...especially after the last 4 years.    

I love Marshall.   Just love the way he plays the game and provides that big, reliable target we haven't had in 15+ years.   The defense is one of the top 5 in all of football and is still missing one of the best DT's in the NFL.   Fitz isn't a world beater but he isn't giving games away.   The running game sucked last night but Fitz was barely touched so all things being equal let's call that a wash.   

last year the season was over by week 5.   let's give this team a little more time before declaring they definitively suck.   

the jets definitely do not suck.   they may not be super bowl ready but goddamn they are fun to watch...especially after the last 4 years.    

I love Marshall.   Just love the way he plays the game and provides that big, reliable target we haven't had in 15+ years.   The defense is one of the top 5 in all of football and is still missing one of the best DT's in the NFL.   Fitz isn't a world beater but he isn't giving games away.   The running game sucked last night but Fitz was barely touched so all things being equal let's call that a wash.   

last year the season was over by week 5.   let's give this team a little more time before declaring they definitively suck.   

I agree about Marshall, I was excited about the trade. But I hate that he is on Inside The NFL, and his comments about white players. Very divisive. But he has been even more productive on the field than I expected

Fitz has tried his hardest to give away the first 2 games. The guy needs 5 turnovers to keep his team in it. He's an average back up, not a starter.

Every Jets message board is a whining zone... By definition

Really?  I thought they were discussion forums.  Not every Jet fan is a whining crybaby.  Seriously if you are complaining about last nights win there really isn't much to talk about. 

Fitz throwing semi-consistently into double coverage isn't good on a lot of levels, one of which is long-term prospects for this season. Still, this defence should bring double digit wins this year and a smokey chance of an AFC championship appearance. Need an actual QB to win one though.

Archived