Joe Namath

JohnnyLV

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Namath is the reason I became a Jets fan. Giants looked old and dumb and the Jets looked young and fast and Namath could sling it with the best of them. I still remember watching the actual game against the Colts while my step father got more and more angry as the Jets continued to dominate....just like I said they would. I was 12 at the time.

Curtis had a bad game but had a legit HOF career.

Yes.  I agree, he COMPILED a legit HOF career, but there were times Namath was the best player in the league and everybody knew it.  Many of his leader stats were AFL only which I guess puts a damper on some of it, but he WAS a league leader.  From '66 to '74 any time he played more than 10 games (6 times) he was top 3 in passing yards - tops in the league 3 times.  It was a changing world and it is difficult to compare stats, but somebody like you who is so fired up about what he sees should give Namath more respect than the APBA gang around here.

Yes.  I agree, he COMPILED a legit HOF career, but there were times Namath was the best player in the league and everybody knew it.  Many of his leader stats were AFL only which I guess puts a damper on some of it, but he WAS a league leader.  From '66 to '74 any time he played more than 10 games (6 times) he was top 3 in passing yards - tops in the league 3 times.  It was a changing world and it is difficult to compare stats, but somebody like you who is so fired up about what he sees should give Namath more respect than the APBA gang around here.

durability counts and I only compare Joe's #s to his era not to today.  Joe was a high yardage/high INT guy. always wanted the big play and would make the big mistake in attempting to make the big play.  the big thing was he was the first guy to throw for more than 4,000 yards which was impressive until you consider he threw away their playoff chances w/ INts that season.  yards are nice, wins are better.

durability counts and I only compare Joe's #s to his era not to today.  Joe was a high yardage/high INT guy. always wanted the big play and would make the big mistake in attempting to make the big play.  the big thing was he was the first guy to throw for more than 4,000 yards which was impressive until you consider he threw away their playoff chances w/ INts that season.  yards are nice, wins are better.

Thankfully Mark never threw away any games or seasons w/INTs

Bear Bryant was a his coach, don't you think he was a little biased?

Lombardi's quote was Joe was "the perfect passer", that is about physical gifts not about what he actually accomplished on the field.

a healthy Joe possessed incredible physical gifts to play the position but there is much more about playing the position than physical gifts and once he lost those physical gifts he was a mediocre QB the majority of his career.

Really?  DId Bear Bryant say it about Stabler or any other of the al time great players he coached or saw?  

There's more than one Lombardi quote, but I'll take perfect passer while you scramble trying to cheapen that to make your argument.  Because any fool knows that Namath accomplished nothing on the field before Lombardi died.  How would Lombardi ever be able to mean what he accomplished.  Are you kidding with this line of nonsense

You are the same guy who thinks Sanchez was better than O'Brien and argued incessantly that Kennys teams were much better, right.  Just love when Jet fans argue that their only all time great player really wasn't all that great.  That Joe Namath is a product of home town fans.  You should stay out of the history discussions, you are clueless and really in way over your head.

Really?  DId Bear Bryant say it about Stabler or any other of the al time great players he coached or saw?  

There's more than one Lombardi quote, but I'll take perfect passer while you scramble trying to cheapen that to make your argument.  Because any fool knows that Namath accomplished nothing on the field before Lombardi died.  How would Lombardi ever be able to mean what he accomplished.  Are you kidding with this line of nonsense

You are the same guy who thinks Sanchez was better than O'Brien and argued incessantly that Kennys teams were much better, right.  You should stay out of the history discussions, you are really way over your head.

his choices were Stabler and Joe, he chose Joe. 

I am not scrambling, throwing random quotes out is scrambling.

Sanchez is better than ken was but I am not wowed by meaningless fantasy #s.  I like to win and ken had loaded teams he never won a playoff game w/.  This has nothing to do w/ Joe's mediocre career in pro football.

his choices were Stabler and Joe, he chose Joe. 

I am not scrambling, throwing random quotes out is scrambling.

Sanchez is better than ken was but I am not wowed by meaningless fantasy #s.  I like to win and ken had loaded teams he never won a playoff game w/.  This has nothing to do w/ Joe's mediocre career in pro football.

really, Bear Bryant saw no other football players other than Joe and Stabler?  Two players?  Are you trying to look foolish?  

And OB was much better than Sanchez.  But hey, we can't look at numbers to judge them, we'll go by the guy who thinks Namath is a product of nonsense too.  

Again, you're in way over your head.  You're a kid who doesn't know the differences in the game over the years or know the players. 

really, Bear Bryant saw no other football players other than Joe and Stabler?  Are you trying to look foolish?  And OB was much better than Sanchez.  But hey, we can't look at numbers to judge them, we'll go by the guy who thinks Namath is a product of nonsense too.  

Namath was an incredible talent, unfortunately healthy kept him from becoming a truly great player for a prolonged period of time. 

Ken O'Brien was so much better even though he had more talent around him in a weaker AFC and never helped us win a single playoff game- but his backup won one!

Namath was an incredible talent, unfortunately healthy kept him from becoming a truly great player for a prolonged period of time. 

Ken O'Brien was so much better even though he had more talent around him in a weaker AFC and never helped us win a single playoff game- but his backup won one!

Make up your mind.  Bryant only complimented him because he was his coach, Lombardi didn't really compliment him and whatever other nonsense youre spewing.  Youre so clueless about the 80's Jets and the division.  

I am amazed that in this thread you are the one anti Namath guy while you are the one pro Sanchez guy in the Gary Myers thread...Go get your brain checked...

Joe is in the hall for all he meant to the game not for what he actually did on the field.  his career on the field was not Hall worthy but there haven't been many, if any, as important to the growth of the league than Joe.

I love deflections as if I have ever said mark was a great QB. 

I've been a Jets fan since 1968 and have had season tickets since 1978, let me be clear, Joe Namath had incredible talent.  He played with two damaged knees on some of the worst teams ever.  The 1972 & 1974 Jets both finished 7-7. Without Joe Namath those teams would have been lucky to win 3 games in each season! In 1972, the Jets traveled to Oakland to play a great Raiders team on a December Monday night in a game the Jets had to win to keep their playoff hopes alive.  Without an NFL quality RB (Riggins was hurt & Boozer tried to play but was a shadow of himself) Namath was forced to throw on virtually every down. By shear will Namath almost pulled it off! Even though the Jets lost, it was one of the guttiest performances I've ever seen from a QB. He almost "willed' the team to victory.  It was the only time in his coaching career that John Madden actually visited the opposing team's locker room after the game to shake the hand of an opposing QB.

Namath was incredible, don't let the stats fool you!

If you put Joe Namath in his prime on the 2015 Jets, they would be favorites to win the Super Bowl.

I've been a Jets fan since 1968 and have had season tickets since 1978, let me be clear, Joe Namath had incredible talent.  He played with two damaged knees on some of the worst teams ever.  The 1972 & 1974 Jets both finished 7-7. Without Joe Namath those teams would have been lucky to win 3 games in each season! In 1972, the Jets traveled to Oakland to play a great Raiders team on a December Monday night in a game the Jets had to win to keep their playoff hopes alive.  Without an NFL quality RB (Riggins was hurt & Boozer tried to play but was a shadow of himself) Namath was forced to throw on virtually every down. By shear will Namath almost pulled it off! Even though the Jets lost, it was one of the guttiest performances I've ever seen from a QB. He almost "willed' the team to victory.  It was the only time in his coaching career that John Madden actually visited the opposing team's locker room after the game to shake the hand of an opposing QB.

Namath was incredible, don't let the stats fool you!

If you put Joe Namath in his prime on the 2015 Jets, they would be favorites to win the Super Bowl.

There's only one poster saying otherwise and he thinks Buttfumble is a great Quarterback

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bear Bryant said Namath was the greatest player he ever saw.

Vince Lombardi said Namath was the greatest QB he ever saw.  

Kids on the internet disagree 

All true. Not clear if his lack of serious conditoning or Ewbank being a  cheap bastard cost us some seriious shos at more Super Bowls. Would bet if you swap Bradshaw for Namath around 1975 the Steelers win at least and probably 2 more Super Bwls, no problem.

All true. Not clear if his lack of serious conditoning or Ewbank being a  cheap bastard cost us some seriious shos at more Super Bowls. Would bet if you swap Bradshaw for Namath around 1975 the Steelers win at least and probably 2 more Super Bwls, no problem.

Ewbank was a solid HC but a poor and CHEAP GM,  he allowed the talent level to dwindle.  Also we caught some bad breaks such as starting WR George Sauer retiring while in his 20s after the 1970 season. In one of his worst moves,  Weeb inexplicably (cheapness) traded DL Verlon Biggs to the Redskins.

And today's medical technology..

Just to do a scope today takes a quarter inch incision and during the 60's they needed like 2 inches to get in there and THAT'S where the long recovery time was-waiting for the cuts made to do the operations to heal before allowing the player to start rehabbing  

Players were built different in the mid to late 60's than they were ten years later and nowhere did that show up more than at the QB position. It went from guys that looked like Norm Snead, Roman Gabriel,Jim Plunkett and Sonny Jurgensen to guys that started to resemble what the QB of the 70's and 80's would look like and Namath was sort of the prototype of the 'new' type of signal caller. It went from essentially linebackers who could throw the ball to real QB's like Joe. Anybody who is arguing about comparing Namath to these new guys are like the people who used to say "Springsteen sucks' and then their friend would giver them a ticket and the guy ends up buying every album he ever made-you had to see him to understand -just like Bruce

Agree.  He was so good, its too easy for people who didn't see him play to look at his knees and numbers and talk as if they know what Namath really was and was capable of

I am amazed that in this thread you are the one anti Namath guy while you are the one pro Sanchez guy in the Gary Myers thread...Go get your brain checked...

Cant even make up his mind how to tackle his arguments. 

Sanchez is better than O'Brien because he won 4 playoff games.  So he's crediting Sanchez for being lucky enough to play on a playoff winning team, giving him credit for the wins.

Then knocks O'Brien, says his teams were better, therefore they werent good because of OB, he was good because of his teams.  And then takes it a step further, tries to say the division sucked and holds that against OB.  He cant even make up his mind how to judge a QB.  He's all over the map spinning his arguments to suit his opinion.

Heres a little history lesson for you.  Aparently you don't get all there is out there from your parents basement.

When O'Brien and the Jets went to the playoffs in 85 because of the "weak AFC East" the Jets went 11-5.  As did the NE Patriots.  And neither team finished in first place.  That would be the 85 Dolphins who went 12-4.  Weak?  So please point out to us which Sanchez season, 09 or 10, he had to deal with and 11-5 and 12-4 team.

And in 85 the Pats went to the SB, losing to the 85 Bears.  

84?  Fins went 14-2, Pats 9-7.

86? Pats 11-5. 

Add in another team, the Colts in the division, adding another 2 difficult games into your schedule, another team to beat that knew you inside and out.

Cant even make up his mind how to tackle his arguments. 

Sanchez is better than O'Brien because he won 4 playoff games.  So he's crediting Sanchez for being lucky enough to play on a playoff winning team, giving him credit for the wins.

Then knocks O'Brien, says his teams were better, therefore they werent good because of OB, were good because of his teams.  And then takes it a step further, tries to say the division sucked and holds that against OB.  He cant even make up his mind how to judge a QB.  He's all over the map spinning his arguments to suit his opinion.

He's all over the map, always on the wrong side.

Make up your mind.  Bryant only complimented him because he was his coach, Lombardi didn't really compliment him and whatever other nonsense youre spewing.  Youre so clueless about the 80's Jets and the division.  

the only clueless ones are the ones pretending he was an all time great QB.  bring me all the meaningless quotes you want about his ability he didn't get it done on the actual field of play which is all that matters. he had a great season or 2, had great moments, did not have a great career.

the only clueless ones are the ones pretending he was an all time great QB.  bring me all the meaningless quotes you want about his ability he didn't get it done on the actual field of play which is all that matters. he had a great season or 2, had great moments, did not have a great career.

The more you type the more you show how childish you are, how little you know about NFL history, Namath and the game of football. 

That you speak about Sanchez as highly as you do and knock an all time great then seemed shocked when everyone dumps on you makes you even more annoying

Nail..meet hammer.   He hates Namath, Loves Sanchez.  case closed. End it.  

case closed? you are right, it is closed.  I am right on both counts.  if you guys read you'd know I was calling a mediocre QB, nothing more but to jet fans if you don't bash mark it means you think he is a HOFer.  as for Joe, I say he's the most overrated player in the history of the game.  Not that sucked but to jet fans they think he's an all time great and he's not.  want to see an all time great? look up to Foxboro.  That's what an all time great looks like.  Joe is in the Hall and deserves to be for everything he meant to the game, if it was just about play on the field he wouldn't be in.

There's only one poster saying otherwise and he thinks Buttfumble is a great Quarterback

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

show me one quote where I said our leader in QB playoff wins was a great QB?  I understand you have nothing to combat what I wrote so you must make things up to deflect attention away from that.

Archived