Which Jets Linemen Make the Final 53 man Roster?

Jets OL to make the 53 in '24  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which Jets linemen stick?

• Chris Glaser
    • Jake Hanson
    • Max Mitchell
    • Obinna Eze
    • Austin Deculus
    • Xavier Newman
    • Vitaliy Gurman
    • Brady Latham

Who makes the final cut?

Smith, Simpson, Tippmann, AVT, Moses, Olu are stone cold locks.

Schweitzer and Carter Warren should be safe as long as they're healthy.

Who else sticks?

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Olu Fashanu, Max Mitchell, Carter Warren, Schweitzer and the 5 starters. Even with how much Max has regressed, you can't risk cutting and re-signing him. 

If he plays like he did last year then there's no risk of either the Jets retaining him or another team signing him.

40 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If he plays like he did last year then there's no risk of either the Jets retaining him or another team signing him.

Hopefully he beefs up and ended last year healthy. I believe last spring he was dealing with the blood clot issues so doubt he was able to progress. So for sure it's make or break. 

Mitchell will get another shot.  If he looks like sh*t in TC that's one thing, but I think they're hoping to write last year off as post-blood clot struggles along with playing next to a black hole.  Pretty much the OL in it's entirety was dog sh*t last year, so hopefully a clean slate does him some good.  The one thing he has going for him is he completely shut down Maxx Crosby last year.  I refuse to believe he has no upside based on that fact alone.

IMO all of Smith, Olu, AVT, Tippmann, Moses, Simpson, Warren are locks.  Schweitzer is a near lock unless he falls on his face.  Mitchell would be just a notch below that - safe bet as long as he shows some sort of improvement from last year.  After that I think it'll be one more IOL player.  McGovern if he's brought back.

59 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Olu Fashanu, Max Mitchell, Carter Warren, Schweitzer and the 5 starters. Even with how much Max has regressed, you can't risk cutting and re-signing him. 

Problem with this is that it leaves you with three backup tackles and only one backup IOL. Mitchell either needs to prove he can play inside, or he needs to beat out Warren for a roster spot, imho (barring injury). I think they carry the top eight guys and fill out the last backup IOL in the mini-draft. 

I think the first 8 are obvious.  Mitchell is a probably, but he's vulnerable if one of the lesser-known guys has a nice offseason and overtakes him.  #10 is not on the roster yet, and will be a veteran IOL.  Candidates include "old friends" McGovern and Van Roten, or potentially Nate Herbig, if the Steelers release him, as has been speculated.

• Upvote 2

This is also why the Jets didn’t draft an IOL at the bottom of the fifth round. That draft pick would almost certainly be headed to the practice squad. The RB might be, too, but he has a clearer path to a roster spot - even with another RB taken ahead of him. The team can fill out the bottom of the OL depth with a veteran. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is there any actual debate about the 5 starters, the #1 pick, and Schweitzer?

Maybe better to ask "which 2 backup OL will make the final 53 roster" and leave the above out of it.

Had the same thought and just logged back on to edit/update.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, slats said:

This is also why the Jets didn’t draft an IOL at the bottom of the fifth round. That draft pick would almost certainly be headed to the practice squad. The RB might be, too, but he has a clearer path to a roster spot - even with another RB taken ahead of him. The team can fill out the bottom of the OL depth with a veteran. 

JMO of course, but I think Mahogany would have a path not only to the roster, but eventually taking Simpson's starting job.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

JMO of course, but I think Mahogany would have a path not only to the roster, but eventually taking Simpson's starting job.

How soon? Simpson and AVT are signed for two more years and Tippman for three. I think these rounds are great for drafting interior OL, but I also think for this year I’d rather have a veteran who can slide right in if needed. That’s not the expectation for a late fifth round rookie. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

How soon? Simpson and AVT are signed for two more years and Tippman for three. I think these rounds are great for drafting interior OL, but I also think for this year I’d rather have a veteran who can slide right in if needed. That’s not the expectation for a late fifth round rookie. 

Simpson isn't making enough money to be a guy you can't bench.  He's on a 2-year deal for small money.  You can easily bench him and make him a solid backup as soon as Mahogany is ready.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Simpson isn't making enough money to be a guy you can't bench.  He's on a 2-year deal for small money.  You can easily bench him and make him a solid backup as soon as Mahogany is ready.

This is the sort of thing I would’ve said if the Jets had drafted Fautanu in the first, but not really about the 173rd pick in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

This is the sort of thing I would’ve said if the Jets had drafted Fautanu in the first, but not really about the 173rd pick in the draft. 

I don't know why Mahogany fell but I think he can eventually start.

Look at a guy who went earlier who I'd said they may take on day 3 in Sedrick Van Prann-Granger.  Stud center at Georgia who a lot of people talked about as a top 50 pick earlier in the year.  Jets could've had him and he could have taken the LG job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Problem with this is that it leaves you with three backup tackles and only one backup IOL. Mitchell either needs to prove he can play inside, or he needs to beat out Warren for a roster spot, imho (barring injury). I think they carry the top eight guys and fill out the last backup IOL in the mini-draft. 

They played Mitchell at G last year in at least one game.  It did not go well and was a head scratcher, but they did it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jbt said:

Sign McGovern to backup c/g

While McGovern was a good Jet and helped the young players learn, he was one of, if not THE worst rated Cs in the NFL last year.  IMO he should not be brought back.  Either Schweitzer or someone better should be the backup C, not McGovern.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don't know why Mahogany fell but I think he can eventually start.

Look at a guy who went earlier who I'd said they may take on day 3 in Sedrick Van Prann-Granger.  Stud center at Georgia who a lot of people talked about as a top 50 pick earlier in the year.  Jets could've had him and he could have taken the LG job.

It was totally puzzling to me why the Jets passed on both Granger and Mahogany.  Unless the media had grossly overrated them, or there were character or health issues with both of the them that the media didn't know about, I think the Jets royally screwed up by not drafting one of them, and I would have preferred Granger because he can play C or OG.