Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Are there any scenarios where we could possibly trade Mo Wilk for another teams 1st round pick and still keep our #20 pick?

Of course.

The problem is, what team is going to give up a first, and then over pay Mo big time.  Macc is going to have to work some magic for that to happen.

if the rumor is true that the Jets were close to moving up to #1 (I don't think so) with Tenn, using Mo as the center piece of the trade, I think Mo would be on his way to the Titans right now

22 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The only way I WON'T be pissed off if Mo gets traded is if it helps the Jets land a franchise QB that is named Lynch and gets Geno sent packing for good, and I reserve the right to STILL Biatch about it if Lynch turns out to NOT be what I hoped he would become. Otherwise I want the Jets to KEEP their BEST PLAYER a Jet instead of us always having to watch our players win super bowls and have amazing careers.

This. In a league where guys like Malik Jackson get $90 million dollar contracts, it's hilarious that people don't think Mo is worth big money.

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sad part is Mo Wilk is a hard working decent player who gets the job done game after game. 

I think there are a few other issues:

1. Woody has become reluctant to write large long-term contracts.  Honestly, I think they often backfire.
  2. I think there is also doubt whether a 3-4 DE should get that type of money, regardless of how good.
  3. Can you see them paying Richardson that type of money?
  4. Drafting another DE is not preposterous.

9 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

This. In a league where guys like Malik Jackson get $90 million dollar contracts, it's hilarious that people don't think Mo is worth big money.

Your missing the point we already have Sheldon and Williams at Mo's position plus Jackson was a FA that cost the Jags just the contract no picks were involved..And Mo is making more then Jackson this year if the Jets can't deal him..

25 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Your missing the point we already have Sheldon and Williams at Mo's position plus Jackson was a FA that cost the Jags just the contract no picks were involved..And Mo is making more then Jackson this year if the Jets can't deal him..

Sheldon is one bad decision from being suspended, and Williams had a nice rookie season but he's not on Mo's level. You can't trade your best players and be successful unless you get very lucky with your drafts. I already know what Mo is, so to me it's not worth the gamble.

4 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Sheldon is one bad decision from being suspended, and Williams had a nice rookie season but he's not on Mo's level. You can't trade your best players and be successful unless you get very lucky with your drafts. I already know what Mo is, so to me it's not worth the gamble.

So tell me the contract you would offer Mo??

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

I thought when a team uses the Franchise Tag on a player it binds them to that team contractually for 1 year and the player is not free to speak with other teams.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are missing that he hasn't signed the franchise tag offer. Right now, today, he is not on the NY Jets. It's also why he's not subject to fines if/when he doesn't show up to workouts (until he signs the tender offer).

Mo is free to talk to anyone he wants. He is free to sign with anyone he wants. If he DOES sign with someone else, that team owes the Jets two #1 picks IF the Jets refuse to match that contract offer.

In practical terms, the Jets would accept less than a pair of #1s because they don't really want to keep Mo on just a mega-expensive 1-year deal. They'd rather have the pick(s) and cap room, so they'd settle.

But Mo is a free agent. He doesn't become a member of the Jets until he signs the franchise tag tender offer.

Yes, you are missing that he hasn't signed the franchise tag offer. Right now, today, he is not on the NY Jets. It's also why he's not subject to fines if/when he doesn't show up to workouts (until he signs the tender offer).

Mo is free to talk to anyone he wants. He is free to sign with anyone he wants. If he DOES sign with someone else, that team owes the Jets two #1 picks IF the Jets refuse to match that contract offer.

In practical terms, the Jets would accept less than a pair of #1s because they don't really want to keep Mo on just a mega-expensive 1-year deal. They'd rather have the pick(s) and cap room, so they'd settle.

But Mo is a free agent. He doesn't become a member of the Jets until he signs the franchise tag tender offer.

Thanks Sperm, that clarifies everything.

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

So tell me the contract you would offer Mo??

Sorry for the delayed response. Was having some issue with commenting. I'd be comfortable with a similar deal that Dareus got from Buffalo.

Free-agent defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, who has yet to sign his $15.7 million franchise-tag tender, was a no-show Monday for the start of the New York Jets' offseason program, according to a source.

Wilkerson's absence was expected. He is unhappy with his contract situation and likely will skip the entire offseason program for the second straight year. If the sides can't agree to a long-term deal by July 15, he will play for $15.7 million in 2016.By rule, the workouts are voluntary. Because he is not under contract, Wilkerson has no financial protection in the event of a serious injury in the offseason program. He's working out on his own as he continues to rehab a surgically repaired broken leg.

Wilkerson's fellow defensive ends, Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams, were among those who reported early Monday morning to begin voluntary workouts.For the second straight offseason, Wilkerson is the subject of trade speculation, except this time the Jets seem more motivated than ever to deal their Pro Bowl defensive end. They may use him as a bargaining chip to trade up in the first round to secure a quarterback.

>      http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15227669/muhammad-wilkerson-absent-start-new-york-jets-offseason-program

As the Jets open the offseason program without franchise-tagged defensive linemanMuhammad Wilkerson, they reportedly would like to use Wilkerson as the ticket to getting in position to draft a franchise quarterback. But the process is much more complicated than simply swapping Wilkerson and the 20th overall pick for a spot in the top 10.

Wilkerson can’t be traded unless and until he signs the franchise tender. And he won’t be signing the franchise tender before July 15 (if then) unless an acceptable long-term deal comes with it. If the Jets won’t be giving it to him, his new team will need to be willing to do so.Would Wilkerson be willing at this point to do a long-term deal driven by the $15.7 million franchise tag, or would he want something that reflects market value? Those negotiations would need to be completed before a trade can be accomplished.

So the Jets need to find a trade partner and work out an acceptable deal with that team. That team would then have to work out an acceptable long-term contract with Wilkerson.It’s not the kind of thing that is conducive to pulling the various threads together while the team trading down is on the clock. It’s the kind of thing that requires plenty of work in advance — work that ultimately would be wasted if the quarterback the Jets covet is gone before the higher pick could be used.

The only viable approach, then, would be to work everything out ahead of time, with the understanding that the trade would happen only if the quarterback the Jets want is available. From a mechanical standpoint, the key ingredient becomes getting Wilkerson to sign the tender. For him, the worst outcome would be signing the tender and having the trade not go through.

It can still happen. The point is that it won’t nearly as easy as packaging up draft picks and shipping them elsewhere.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/18/using-wilkerson-to-trade-up-comes-with-plenty-of-moving-parts-for-jets/

Jets' Mo Wilkerson runs on previously broken leg (VIDEO)

Muhammad Wilkerson, the Jets' star defensive end, broke his leg in the season finale loss at the Bills on Jan. 3. This was never considered a serious injury that had the potential to sideline Wilkerson for any of the 2016 season. Nonetheless, Wilkerson has sent positivemessages out via social media regarding his rehab process. 

On Thursday, Wilkerson posted the video below of him running on a treadmill while wearing a harness (presumably to reduce pressure on his leg). Wilkerson isn't participating in the Jets' voluntary offseason workouts for the second straight year. He wants a long-term, lucrative contract (from the Jets orsomebody else). But the Jets and Wilkerson have yet to reach an agreement, despite lengthy negotiations that have seemingly stalled. 

The Jets have applied a one-year, $15.701 million franchise tag to Wilkerson for 2016, but he hasn't signed the tender, which means he isn't currently under contract with the organization.The Jets could always trade Wilkerson, if they find a team that is willing to give him that hefty contract, and also give the Jets a desirable enough return. Wilkerson would have to sign his franchise tag tender before he is traded. 

In the meantime, Wilkerson, as he seeks a payday and/or trade, is sending not-so-subtle messages to the NFL world that he is healing just fine (a development that is not surprising, considering the non-catastrophic nature of his injury). 

Here is his latest rehab video : 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/04/jets_mo_wilkerson_runs_on_previously_broken_leg_vi.html#incart_river_index

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan, speaking to reporters, said they "inquired" about obtaining the No. 1 overall pick from the Titans. He wouldn't get into specifics, but you have to assume Mo Wilkerson would've been part of any trade discussion. Maccagnan said they're not actively shopping Wilkerson, but that's semantics. They're open to dealing him. They won't rescind his franchise tag, Maccagnan said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

I think the Mo situation has Woody's fingerprints all over it.  

If Mo cannot be traded by the draft, he should be cut.  He will not be part of the long-term future of the team.   His cap space should be used elsewhere.

At this point, for player development and entertainment value, the money is better spent on Fitz.

Depending upon how this goes, this could be a lesson in what teams are willing to trade high picks for.  To trade a high pick for the right for a player who then needs to be signed to a high value contract, my guess is that player really needs to be an impact player.  

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

If Mo cannot be traded by the draft, he should be cut.  He will not be part of the long-term future of the team.   His cap space should be used elsewhere.

At this point, for player development and entertainment value, the money is better spent on Fitz.

Depending upon how this goes, this could be a lesson in what teams are willing to trade high picks for.  To trade a high pick for the right for a player who then needs to be signed to a high value contract, my guess is that player really needs to be an impact player.  

I don't think he isn't an impact player. He's not an off the charts impact player, I'll grant you, but it's hard to not like Mo. The problem is we are flush with high talent DEs who have already shown they have it.

And the money is not better spent on Fitz. I don't care how many DEs we have, or how ok I am with trading him, I still wouldn't let Mo go for the purpose of making room for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Never, not ever. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think he isn't an impact player. He's not an off the charts impact player, I'll grant you, but it's hard to not like Mo. The problem is we are flush with high talent DEs who have already shown they have it.

And the money is not better spent on Fitz. I don't care how many DEs we have, or how ok I am with trading him, I still wouldn't let Mo go for the purpose of making room for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Never, not ever. 

"Flush"?

Last I checked Richardson is facing a significant suspension and we lost our starting Nose Tackle 

7 hours ago, kelly said:

Jets' Mo Wilkerson runs on previously broken leg (VIDEO)

Muhammad Wilkerson, the Jets' star defensive end, broke his leg in the season finale loss at the Bills on Jan. 3. This was never considered a serious injury that had the potential to sideline Wilkerson for any of the 2016 season. Nonetheless, Wilkerson has sent positivemessages out via social media regarding his rehab process. 

On Thursday, Wilkerson posted the video below of him running on a treadmill while wearing a harness (presumably to reduce pressure on his leg). Wilkerson isn't participating in the Jets' voluntary offseason workouts for the second straight year. He wants a long-term, lucrative contract (from the Jets orsomebody else). But the Jets and Wilkerson have yet to reach an agreement, despite lengthy negotiations that have seemingly stalled. 

The Jets have applied a one-year, $15.701 million franchise tag to Wilkerson for 2016, but he hasn't signed the tender, which means he isn't currently under contract with the organization.The Jets could always trade Wilkerson, if they find a team that is willing to give him that hefty contract, and also give the Jets a desirable enough return. Wilkerson would have to sign his franchise tag tender before he is traded. 

In the meantime, Wilkerson, as he seeks a payday and/or trade, is sending not-so-subtle messages to the NFL world that he is healing just fine (a development that is not surprising, considering the non-catastrophic nature of his injury). 

Here is his latest rehab video : 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/04/jets_mo_wilkerson_runs_on_previously_broken_leg_vi.html#incart_river_index

He will be ready for week 1.  Just keep him and start Geno 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Jesus.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Comments like this make it very easy to call people nuts or fools around here. That could possibly be the dumbest comment I've read yet, and there have been plenty of bad ones. Congratulations, the free t-shirt is yours.

7 hours ago, drdetroit said:

"Flush"?

Last I checked Richardson is facing a significant suspension and we lost our starting Nose Tackle 

Richardson isn't facing a suspension unless one is unexpectedly handed down in the future. We have a starting NT.

How many DEs does a team need? 

49 minutes ago, kelly said:
cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

After seeing Josh Norman's new contact with the Redskins -- five years, $75M -- Muhammad Wilkerson probably wishes the Jets would rescind his franchise tag. But that's not going to happen, GM Mike Maccagnan said today.

>      http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

What does this even mean?

18 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

If we keep him I fully expect us to have a top 5 defence and make the playoffs.

We had the number 1 D in 09 with Ellis,Pouha,Mike Devito,Howard Green and 6 games from Kris Jenkins.. And that's with the 17th rated offence thanks to the top rushing O in the league.. The Jet D since Mo has been a Jet is either 19th the rest in the 20's except for last year the Jet D was 9th which was helped by the best O since 1998.. One player is not going to be the main factor for the rare exception of Revis in 09 who had one of the best ever for a CB..

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

We had the number 1 D in 09 with Ellis,Pouha,Mike Devito,Howard Green and 6 games from Kris Jenkins.. And that's with the 17th rated offence thanks to the top rushing O in the league.. The Jet D since Mo has been a Jet is either 19th the rest in the 20's except for last year the Jet D was 9th which was helped by the best O since 1998.. One player is not going to be the main factor for the rare exception of Revis in 09 who had one of the best ever for a CB..

Is there a point here?

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

You said if Mo stays we would have a top 5 D as he would be the main reason that would be so.. Ok how's this what would the D be if Mo gets traded?

He's our best player and was the best player in a top 10 D last season, which you've hilariously attributed to the offensive success.

All of the defensive lineman will only get better and they are the strength of the team. They will destroy offensive lines if they stay together.

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He's our best player and was the best player in a top 10 D last season, which you've hilariously attributed to the offensive success.

All of the defensive lineman will only get better and they are the strength of the team. They will destroy offensive lines if they stay together.

The question was what would the D be if Mo gets traded?? BTW if a O keeps going 3 and out any D will be dead by the 3rd quarter so the O is a big help..

Archived