Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

11 hours ago, Savage69 said:

We had the number 1 D in 09 with Ellis,Pouha,Mike Devito,Howard Green and 6 games from Kris Jenkins.. And that's with the 17th rated offence thanks to the top rushing O in the league.. The Jet D since Mo has been a Jet is either 19th the rest in the 20's except for last year the Jet D was 9th which was helped by the best O since 1998.. One player is not going to be the main factor for the rare exception of Revis in 09 who had one of the best ever for a CB..

So less talent = improvement?

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

So less talent = improvement?

Some think Mo by himself  was the reason the Jets won 10 games last season .. Truth is that was the first winning team he was on since he's been a Jet thanks to a productive offense..

5 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Some think Mo by himself  was the reason the Jets won 10 games last season .. Truth is that was the first winning team he was on since he's been a Jet thanks to a productive offense..

He wasn't the only reason but he contributed significantly. 

Mike Maccagnan chose his words carefully.Maccagnan, the Jets' general manager, did not want to say too much on Friday about the Jets' approach to their franchise-tagged defensive end, Muhammad Wilkerson.

Is there a chance for the two sides to work out a long-term deal? Are the Jets actively shopping Wilkerson ?

Maccagnan declined to comment (albeit in a roundabout way) to the first question. To the second question, Maccagnan engaged in some semantic gymnastics when he said the Jets were "not actively shopping" Wilkerson because they weren't "out there trying to cold-call 31 teams" with trade offers.But here's the unvarnished truth: The Jets and Wilkerson are still nowhere close to an agreement on a long-term deal. Whether that fact changes by the franchise tag's July 15 deadline—at which point Wilkerson would have to play next season on the $15.7 million tag, unless he chooses to hold out—is anyone's guess.As to the second question: The Jets may not be smiling and dialing the rest of the league to see if anyone is willing to take Wilkerson off their hands, but the rest of the league knows Wilkerson is available. A deal just hasn't happened because there have been no takers.

Why ?

It's not because teams don't want Wilkerson; he's one of the top 3-4 defensive ends in the league, and he's still only 26 years old. The issue, rather, is the difficulty in executing a tag and trade: Any potential trade partner would have to agree to give Wilkerson a lucrative long-term contract, which in turn would mitigate the compensation the Jets might receive in return.(Yes, Wilkerson is also recovering from a broken leg, but because he's not expected to miss any time during the regular season, that's likely not much of a factor.)Maccagnan acknowledged the Jets had "inquired" about trading with the Titans for the No. 1 pick in the draft before that selection was sent to the Rams. He wouldn't say whether Wilkerson was part of whatever trade package the Jets put together, but it's difficult to imagine Wilkerson wasn't included.

The Jets are also going to have difficulty moving Wilkerson on draft night. A typical draft-night trade involves the exchange of draft picks. But one involving Wilkerson would have to include a new contract for Wilkerson's new team, which is not something that's going to get worked out on the fly as the draft unfolds.The draft is four days away, and perhaps this will change as draft night approaches. But know that by Friday afternoon, when Maccagnan spoke, the Jets hadn't moved Wilkerson because they could find no takers for him.

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/04/latest_on_jets_attempt_to_trade_muhammad_wilkerson.html#incart_river_index

^^^ How many times can the same story be printed? This thread is 12 pages long and I can only assume that all these articles have a tidbit about how Wilkerson will cost both a contract and trade compensation.

There's only so long these teams can pretend Sheldon Rankins, Vernon Butler, Chris Jones, and whoever else are badass. The Jets are playing this perfect.

Look, don’t believe what Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said at his pre-draft press conference. Well, maybe don’t not believe it, but rather look a bit more in depth, specifically as it pertains to one subject.

Fielding question after question about the present state of the Jets, it didn’t take long for Maccagnan to be asked, quite bluntly, what the heck is going on with defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson?

Is New York close to re-signing him?  Rescinding the franchise tag? Trading him?

Maccagnan did his best to answer, but just one of his answers was legitimate.

The first ?

Well, a non-answer. He wouldn’t comment or “negotiate” in the media regarding Wilkerson’s salary.As far as rescinding the franchise tag? Well, that was quite bluntly described as “not an option.”And trading him? Well, Maccagnan said the Jets aren’t “actively” exploring that at this point in time.That right there? That’s not entirely accurate. Here’s a little GM code breaking for you– What Maccagnan means is that the Jets haven’t gotten an offer that they like yet. And, until they do, they aren’t moving him.

Now, here’s the thing: Are the Jets ever going to actually get an offer they want? Are they ever going to get the exact compensation they desire? With just days remaining before the 2016 NFL draft kicks off. . . it doesn’t appear likely.Which begs the question: Should New York come off their present asking price a bit and drop their demands. Maybe instead of looking for the widely-reported first-round pick, they take something a bit less.

Say a second rounder?

See, here’s the thing– Wilkerson’s play, without a doubt, is worthy of a first-round pick. In fact, there’s a good chance that outside of maybe Joey Bosa, no defensive lineman drafted in the first round will have the impact Wilkerson will on Sundays. Wilkerson is that good. And, as he is more than deserving, wants to be paid as someone who is that good.And that’s where the problems arise. See, if the cost to acquire Wilkerson was simply that — a first-round pick– Wilkerson would likely have already been dealt. But it’s not. Whatever team that acquires Wilkerson will need to part with some form of compensation to the Jets, then give Wilkerson a new mega-money deal likely near $15-$17 million a season with more than $60 million guaranteed.

That’s a high price. A first-round pick, plus a near $100-million contract? Oh boy.

So, maybe that first-round pick is a bit much. Maybe, instead of a first rounder, the Jets should accept compensation that’s a bit less. Say, maybe, a second- and fifth-round pick. That may be an easier pill for a potential trade partner to swallow.

But would you do that deal?

Jets Wire wants to know if the Jets are going to move Wilkerson before or during the draft this Thursday, would you be ok with the team getting a second- and fifth-round pick back in exchange for him?Vote below. Care to expand more on why you voted as you did? Drop a line or two in the comment section.

>          http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/26/poll-should-jets-trade-muhammad-wilkerson-for-a-second-round-pick/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/27/report-jets-fielded-calls-on-wilkerson-but-trade-unlikely/

Per Rapoport, the Jets have “fielded calls” about Wilkerson without generating much action. There’s no word on what teams may be willing to offer or what the Jets are looking for in terms of compensation, but a trade is now “viewed as unlikely.”

Now I'd love to have Mo back.  The guy has been great.  On the field, off the field and supposedly in the locker room as well.  The type of guy you do sign long-term for 15+mil, IF ya don't have Sheldon and Williams behind him.  And with him playing under the franchise tag this year, looking to make a splash in free agency next season, there's no reason to doubt he'll be a monster this year.  

Him, Sheldon (who will also be playing for a long-term deal) and Williams on the Dline is freakin' awesome!  Add in a potential pass rushing rookie, along with Mauldin's 2nd year, and we've got the potential get some real good pressure on QBs.  (Though I am worried about the run D minus Snacks.)

I just don't see how we manage to keep Mo and also sign Fitz.  Can anyone come up with a realistic scenario how that'll work?

I'm one of the few calling to start Geno, so I'm actually cool with that.  Figured that was a pipe-dream though.  Had pretty much accepted we'd eventually get Fitz back in here.  But with 3mil in cap space before signing rookies, while also needing a rainy-day fund for in-season moves...  how is this gonna work?

Just now, Mike135 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/27/report-jets-fielded-calls-on-wilkerson-but-trade-unlikely/

Per Rapoport, the Jets have “fielded calls” about Wilkerson without generating much action. There’s no word on what teams may be willing to offer or what the Jets are looking for in terms of compensation, but a trade is now “viewed as unlikely.”

Now I'd love to have Mo back.  The guy has been great.  On the field, off the field and supposedly in the locker room as well.  The type of guy you do sign long-term for 15+mil, IF ya don't have Sheldon and Williams behind him.  And with him playing under the franchise tag this year, looking to make a splash in free agency next season, there's no reason to doubt he'll be a monster this year.  

Him, Sheldon (who will also be playing for a long-term deal) and Williams on the Dline is freakin' awesome!  Add in a potential pass rushing rookie, along with Mauldin's 2nd year, and we've got the potential get some real good pressure on QBs.  (Though I am worried about the run D minus Snacks.)

I just don't see how we manage to keep Mo and also sign Fitz.  Can anyone come up with a realistic scenario how that'll work?

I'm one of the few calling to start Geno, so I'm actually cool with that.  Figured that was a pipe-dream though.  Had pretty much accepted we'd eventually get Fitz back in here.  But with 3mil in cap space before signing rookies, while also needing a rainy-day fund for in-season moves...  how is this gonna work?

need to sign Mo long term and backload the contract.  Otherwise it'll be a $15.7 million hit. Will need to restructure others to give Fitz his $7 or $8 million.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

need to sign Mo long term and backload the contract.  Otherwise it'll be a $15.7 million hit. Will need to restructure others to give Fitz his $7 or $8 million.

Yep since Mo is so easy to deal with that should be easy as pie..:wacko:

Just now, Savage69 said:

I never claimed it would be "easy".  Mac gets paid a lot.  He can do his job. THis can be done if both sides become a bit more reasonable.  I hate the Giants and the Jaguars for what they paid to Vernon and Malick, neither of whom are as good as Mo.  Those bloated contracts made it all the harder to get something done with Mo.  Should have gotten it done last year when there was a boatload of dollars to spend AND plenty of cap space to use it.  Big mistake letting it come to this point.  Huge mistake.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Right, I just haven't heard anything even somewhat suggestive that the Jets and Mo are close to a deal.  Wouldn't be thrilled backloading Mo's contract, but hey, he is great, so could be worse.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I never claimed it would be "easy".  Mac gets paid a lot.  He can do his job. THis can be done if both sides become a bit more reasonable.  I hate the Giants and the Jaguars for what they paid to Vernon and Malick, neither of whom are as good as Mo.  Those bloated contracts made it all the harder to get something done with Mo.  Should have gotten it done last year when there was a boatload of dollars to spend AND plenty of cap space to use it.  Big mistake letting it come to this point.  Huge mistake.

We weren't getting anything done before those contracts which I agree didn't help. Mo wants Watt plus money and the Jets may end up losing him for the 3rd rd comp pick if they can't deal him.. The Bronco's tagged Von Miller with the exclusive tag because teams would have been lining up to sign him whatever the cost..

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Right, I just haven't heard anything even somewhat suggestive that the Jets and Mo are close to a deal.  Wouldn't be thrilled backloading Mo's contract, but hey, he is great, so could be worse.

He is very good guys like Watt and Von Miller are great IMO..;)

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He is very good guys like Watt and Von Miller are great IMO..;)

It's always tough to accept the numbers FAs see, but with what other Dlinemen have signed for, there's no question in my mind that he's also worth that money.  

The big question was, is he worth it to us with Sheldon and Williams behind him?  Now it seems more and more likely the question is how the hell do we sign Fitz?  

Hope Geno is paying attention and we soon hear he calls for a mini-camp with his WRs.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It's always tough to accept the numbers FAs see, but with what other Dlinemen have signed for, there's no question in my mind that he's also worth that money.  

The big question was, is he worth it to us with Sheldon and Williams behind him?  Now it seems more and more likely the question is how the hell do we sign Fitz?  

Hope Geno is paying attention and we soon hear he calls for a mini-camp with his WRs.

Speaking of camps Mo and a player from the Giants have a Camp for kids business and players from the Jets,Giants,Bills and other teams are scheduled to appear in a teaching capacity.. One name that is missing is Geno..LOL

22 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

gif-mourinho-celebracion-city.gif

Nightmare scenario is about to ensue. The Jets won't trade him because they can't net a 1st rounder - Mo won't budge on contracts and won't sign because he feels disrespected - he leaves next year and we get nothing. Trade the ******* guy for a second, at this point he's just got to go.

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Speaking of camps Mo and a player from the Giants have a Camp for kids business and players from the Jets,Giants,Bills and other teams are scheduled to appear in a teaching capacity.. One name that is missing is Geno..LOL

Hey, there's a lot of good movies out now.  He could be in the theater with his phone off and missed the invite.

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Nightmare scenario is about to ensue. The Jets won't trade him because they can't net a 1st rounder - Mo won't budge on contracts and won't sign because he feels disrespected - he leaves next year and we get nothing. Trade the ******* guy for a second, at this point he's just got to go.

I wouldn't say "we get nothing".  We get an extremely motivated Mo for 2016 and first dibs at him in 2017.

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

IMO opinion too much bad blood between Mo and the FO now but we will see..

Perhaps.  But business is business.  Mo seems like a guy who'd understand that.  Plus we have the advantage of being his hometown.  Will be interesting to see how it turns out.  Whether we have an answer tomorrow or a year from now.

Who knows, as the season draws nearer, Mo may begin to realize the situation he's in.  He did just have an injury.  Nothing huge, but that has to weigh in on his decision making a bit.  

I know I wouldn't want to push my luck.  Injuries can happen whenever.  Perhaps a deal gets done in July.

28 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

IMO too much bad blood between Mo and the FO now but we will see..

+1

Everything said indicates this and the general difficulties Wilkerson has been giving in FA. It's clear these sides probably loathe each other at this point if you're clever enough to read between the lines like us.

If anyone disagrees...think about it this way....If Wilkerson hadn't proven impossible to deal with and destroyed any relationship with the FO, why didn't they meet our deadline?

Wow some pretty big projections here, they loathe each other?  It's the fans that get overly emotional in these dealings no so much the players and management, it's business and most agents let their clients know this.  If Mo comes back he will play hard this year and make a good buck and the Jets front office then has to decide whether to up the offer or let him walk.  If they trade him it will becasue their plan does not include a DE getting that kind of money, no hard feelings.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wow some pretty big projections here, they loathe each other?  It's the fans that get overly emotional in these dealings no so much the players and management, it's business and most agents let their clients know this.  If Mo comes back he will play hard this year and make a good buck and the Jets front office then has to decide whether to up the offer or let him walk.  If they trade him it will becasue their plan does not include a DE getting that kind of money, no hard feelings.

IMO the team has let this linger on far too long Mo should have been signed to a good deal after the 2013 season.. Once Leonard Williams was taken I think the team made their decision on Mo.. But hey I could be wrong..;)

3 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

IMO the team has let this linger on far too long Mo should have been signed to a good deal after the 2013 season.. Once Leonard Williams was taken I think the team made their decision on Mo.. But hey I could be wrong..;)

One thing you're not wrong about is the clear bad blood between the sides.

Archived