Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles on the possibility of Muhammad Wilkerson (franchise tag) not reporting to training camp: "That would be his prerogative. Business is business. We'd love to have him here, but if he feels like he doesn't want to be here, that's on him. I've got a team to coach." The odds of them striking a long-term deal before the July 15 deadline appear remote.

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Wonder if he just shows up for the last 6 games when everyone else is exhausted & beat up from the first 10. Fewer injury opportunities for him (skips not only the first 10 games of risk, but also all the preseason games and all of camp and all the practices). He still hits free agency at 27, and the likelihood of the Jets tagging him again after staging a 10-game holdout would be almost zero. Doubtful it would hurt his payday much, because everyone knows the reason why & they can see he's played the last 2 years for $1M and $7M while lesser players are getting $50M, $80M, $100M contracts; and was a local talent who surely wanted to play his whole career with the Jets after giving the team instant-production unlike many 1st rounders even if they do pan out.

I can't say I 100% wouldn't do that if I were in his place. Yeah he'd be passing up on $10M, but he'd also be further risking some 5x that. 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wonder if he just shows up for the last 6 games when everyone else is exhausted & beat up from the first 10. Fewer injury opportunities for him (skips not only the first 10 games of risk, but also all the preseason games and all of camp and all the practices). He still hits free agency at 27, and the likelihood of the Jets tagging him again after staging a 10-game holdout would be almost zero. Doubtful it would hurt his payday much, because everyone knows the reason why & they can see he's played the last 2 years for $1M and $7M while lesser players are getting $50M, $80M, $100M contracts; and was a local talent who surely wanted to play his whole career with the Jets after giving the team instant-production unlike many 1st rounders even if they do pan out.

I can't say I 100% wouldn't do that if I were in his place. Yeah he'd be passing up on $10M, but he'd also be further risking some 5x that. 

Sheldon wasn't in football shape missing 4 games and he was in training camp and played pre season games.. No way Mo holds out of camp the preseason plus 10 games and plays the last 6 even if the Jets let him.. He would be looking at a almost certain injury..

Bowles shrugs at Wilkerson possibly skipping training camp

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - SEPTEMBER 21: Head coach Todd Bowles of the New York Jets looks on against the Indianapolis Colts in the second quarter at Lucas Oil Stadium on September 21, 2015 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)Getty Images

The Jets had all players under contract report for mandatory minicamp. Defensive tackleMuhammad Wilkerson isn’t under contract, and he’s not there. Wilkerson also may not report for training camp.

Coach Todd Bowles on Tuesday shrugged at the possibility.

“That would be his prerogative,” Bowles told reporters. “Business is business. We’d love to have him here, but if he feels like he doesn’t need to be here then that’s on him. I have a team to coach.”

Business is business. Teams like the fact that the rules of the business allow them to use the franchise tag to hold players in place. Teams don’t like the fact that the rules of the business allow the players to stay away from mandatory offseason workouts, training camp, and all of the preseason while still showing up before Week One and receiving the full amount of their franchise tender.

For Wilkerson, it’s not a matter of him “feeling like he doesn’t need to be here.” It’s business. The team has kept him from hitting the open market, and the team has declined to offer him a long-term deal that he deems to be suited to his skills and abilities, given the market. So just as the team had the right to tag him, Wilkerson has the right to stay away.

So if he’s not there, the team can say it’s on him. Wilkerson would likely say it’s on them.

Muhammad Wilkerson is a quiet man.

The 6-foot-4 Jets star prefers to make his statements on the field and not through the media, but he is fed up and revealed his feelings for the first time Wednesday.The Jets still have not locked up Wilkerson with the long-term contract they have professed to want to sign him to for two years. Instead, three months away from the season he remains locked in a contract standoff with the team.“It’s shocking. It’s frustrating,” Wilkerson told The Post in an exclusive interview. “Because I feel like I’ve earned it and I deserve it. It would be different if I was just a mediocre player. I feel like each and every week I’m dominating and it’s showing. The stats speak for themselves. Basically, what more do I need to do? You know what I mean?”

It is a question Jets fans have asked this offseason, but general manager Mike Maccagnan has not really answered it. Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles both say they want Wilkerson to remain a Jet long-term, but the team’s actions tell a different story to Wilkerson.“Do I feel that they want me back? As of right now, no. I don’t feel like they want me,” Wilkerson said in his first public comments since last season. “I’m a talented guy. Everybody knows that. I feel like they’re going to get the best they can out of me and just let me go. That’s how I feel. Do I like that feeling? No. I’m a New Jersey guy, born and raised and would love to raise my family here.”A long-term contract between the Jets and Wilkerson appears unlikely. The two sides are far apart and the gap may have grown even wider this week when the Eagles handed defensive lineman Fletcher Cox a six-year, $103 million extension that includes a $26 million signing bonus. If Wilkerson plays under the $15.7 million franchise tag this season, his earnings for the last two years will total $22.7 million, not even what Cox got in his signing bonus.

Don’t think that deal went unnoticed by Wilkerson, whose asking price now starts at the Cox deal.“I think he’s a great player. Do I feel like I’m better than him? Yes,” Wilkerson said. “Not to be cocky, it’s just a confidence thing. Everybody in the league that plays feels like they’re the best player at their position. If you ask any NFL player, they’re going to say they’re the best at their position.

“I feel like I’m better than him and whatever [his deal is] I deserve that or better.”

For Wilkerson, the reality that long-term security is a must in the NFL was underscored when he broke a bone in his right leg in the third quarter of the Jets’ season finale against the Bills. He has spent the offseason rehabbing the leg and is now running. Wilkerson will be ready when the season starts. He has skipped the Jets offseason workouts and this week’s minicamp. Because he has not yet signed his franchise tender, he cannot be fined for sitting it out.For most of the spring, Wilkerson rehabbed in Arizona, but last month he decided it was time to return to the Jets’ headquarters in Florham Park. Even though he was not participating in OTAs, he wanted the team to know how healthy he was.“I decided it was about that time when I was running to come back and finish up my rehab here so these guys know I’m good,” he said. “My leg is fine and I’m healthy and I’ll be ready to go. I’m rehabbing at the facility. I’m in there morning every day rehabbing. On my end, I’m all in. I’m all for being here long-term. I’m just going to continue going about things the right way and hopefully things will play out the way they’re supposed to.”

Wilkerson is hosting charity events Friday and Saturday in his hometown of Linden, NJ, and has not decided whether he will show up on time for training camp when it begins in late July. He said he will consult with his agent and make the best decision. The Jets would be unable to fine him for missing camp practices if he does not sign his tender.The 26-year-old is coming off a season in which he led the team with 12 sacks, was a force against the run and earned his first Pro Bowl selection. He is confident he canbounce back from this injury.“I feel like I had one of my best years since I’ve been in the league,” Wilkerson said. “I’m not going to let this leg injury stop me. I’m going to take things slowly and come out next year and dominate again.”The contract drama has hovered over Wilkerson for two years now. He and agent Chad Wiestling first approached the Jets about an extension in 2014 when John Idzik was in charge. They talked to Maccagnan last year before cutting off negotiations when the season started. This year, despite public statements that they wanted to get a deal done with Wilkerson, the Jets were open to trading him before the NFL draft in April.

“That just shows they don’t want me,” Wilkerson said of the trade talk. “They are willing to let me walk or whatever the case may be.”

Wilkerson does not believe the Jets have really tried to sign him to an extension. The two sides have until July 15 to get a deal done or Wilkerson’s only option will be to playunder the franchise tag if he wants to play in 2016.“I don’t think they’re trying like they should. We’ve still got time,” Wilkerson said. “The deadline is in a month. We’ve got some time.”Wilkerson expects to be on the field on Sept. 11 when the Jets open the season against the Bengals. He said despite his current feelings, when he gets on the field he will put the business behind him and play like he always has.“I’m all in,” Wilkerson said. “I’m all for being a Jet and finishing my career here. I love the Jets fans. I appreciate all the support from them and I just hope I can continue my career here and play in front of one of the best crowds in the league.”

On Wednesday, a quiet man roared. You have to wonder whether the Jets are listening.

>     http://nypost.com/2016/06/16/muhammad-wilkerson-lets-loose-on-shocking-way-jets-have-treated-him/

-- Locked in a contract stalemate for two years, Pro Bowl defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has vented his frustration, saying he feels unwanted by the New York Jets."Do I feel that they want me back? As of right now, no. I don't feel like they want me," Wilkerson told the New York Post on Wednesday. "I'm a talented guy. Everybody knows that. I feel like they're going to get the best they can out of me and just let me go. That's how I feel. Do I like that feeling? No. I'm a New Jersey guy, born and raised and would love to raise my family here."

Wilkerson's comments came two days after ESPN.com reported that he's so upset that he might not report to training camp on July 27. He confirmed to the Post that he's undecided on whether to report.Wilkerson has the franchise tag, meaning the two sides have until July 15 to reach a long-term agreement. That is highly unlikely. Failing that, he would play the 2016 season for his franchise tender, which is $15.7 million."It's shocking. It's frustrating," Wilkerson told the newspaper. "Because I feel like I've earned [a new contract] and I deserve it. It would be different if I was just a mediocre player. I feel like each and every week I'm dominating and it's showing. The stats speak for themselves. Basically, what more do I need to do? You know what I mean?"

General manager Mike Maccagnan will have no comment on Wilkerson's remarks, the team said.

Publicly, the Jets have stated their desire to keep Wilkerson, 26, arguably their top defensive player, but they were open to trading him before the past two drafts, sources said."That just shows they don't want me," Wilkerson said to the Post. "They are willing to let me walk or whatever the case may be."Wilkerson wouldn't go so far as to demand a trade or guarantee a no-show at training camp. He skipped the mandatory minicamp, which concludes Thursday. Until he signs the franchise tender, he can't be fined for not attending mandatory team events because he's technically not under contract.

Oddly, Wilkerson shows up every morning to the team facility to rehabilitate his surgically repaired leg, which was fractured in the final game of the season.Wilkerson, who grew up in Linden, New Jersey, said he wants to finish his career with the Jets. But that will be difficult because of the soaring market for defensive linemen. Fletcher Cox signed a contract extension with thePhiladelphia Eagles that will make it harder for the Jets to re-sign Wilkerson.Cox received a six-year, $103 million deal, including a reported $63 million in guarantees this week. Wilkerson is seeking a bigger contract than Cox, sources said.The Jets are reluctant to give Wilkerson a long-term extension because they have a considerable amount of resources invested in the defensive line. Sheldon Richardson's contract will expire after the 2017 season, and he likely will be seeking a new deal after the season. Leonard Williams was drafted sixth overall in 2015.

The team hasn't ruled out the possibility of using the franchise tag again next year on Wilkerson. That would be $18.8 million.

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16251982/muhammad-wilkerson-new-york-jets-vents-frustration-contract-impasse

The market value for DL like Wilkerson will only keep going up.  If they wanted Mo to be a Jet long-term, they blew it by not renewing him 2 years ago.

Its not like the Jets have cap room to burn now anyway.  No contract for Wilkerson could cause a bigger cap hit than the one he has.  

He is a really great player and great guy.  There is obviously a risk to giving a player that type of money.  The risk is much less to draft them and pay them under the rookie/first contract scale.  

I don't know whether this is Woody or MacC.  Theoretically, they can keep drafting DL and using the franchise tags.  Mo could be tagged next year too, and then released and then Sheldon could get tagged,  Do that for 2 years and do same from Leo and draft more DL.  

MacC needs to get better and evaluating our own players better and renewing earlier.   If Geno Smith and/or Milliner get their acts together this year, I don't know how the Jets resign them, if they want to.  I can see rolling the dice on Milliner if he does well in training camp-give him a one-year extension where he makes more money this year and next.

Philadelphia Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox has signed an extension that reportedly included $63 million in guaranteed money, which would be the most for any non-quarterback in NFL history. Another defensive lineman playing up the New Jersey Turnpike was paying attention to that deal.

The New York Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson, who was given the franchise tag by the team, said this to the New York Post about Cox’s deal :

“I think he’s a great player. Do I feel like I’m better than him? Yes. I feel like I’m better than him and whatever (his deal is) I deserve that or better.”

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0616%2FWilkVSCox

Wilkerson might be right: He has more sacks, forced fumbles and batted passes than Cox over the last four seasons and has played almost the same percentage of snaps at defensive tackle.

How similar are they ?

Wilkerson was selected to his first Pro Bowl last season. Cox was selected to his first Pro Bowl last season.

Wilkerson is 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds according to the team’s official website; Cox is 6-4 and 310 pounds according to his team’s website.They have both been durable. Wilkerson has played 3,455 snaps since 2012 and missed three games in his career; Cox has played 3,141 snaps since 2012 and missed one game in his career.

Why no extension from Jets  ?

Wilkerson was given the franchise tag, guaranteeing him a one-year salary of $15.7 million for the 2016 season.But he hasn’t signed the tag, which would make him the third-highest-paid defensive end this season.

According to the Roster Management System, the only defensive ends who are scheduled to be paid more, based on average annual cash value, are the Giants’ Olivier Vernon at $17 million and the Texans’ J.J. Watt at $16.7 million.The Jets have the fourth-least salary cap space in the league, and the contract of Darrelle Revis is a major reason: His cap hit of $17 million in 2016 is the second-highest among defensive players.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/119949/why-muhammad-wilkerson-deserves-fletcher-cox-money

I don't get the % snaps at DT thing. I saw it for Williams too, except he got the raw number. IIRC Wilkerson and Watt were in their own league as far as 300+ pounders and D snaps - something like the low to mid-80's this decade including ~90% for Wilkerson last year.

As the salary cap swells and the market for veteran defensive linemen grows, teams hoping to remain on the right side of the spending limit have to decide whether to break the bank to keep talented players at the end and tackle positions or whether to replace them with cheaper in-house options.

The Jets clearly are choosing not to break the bank for defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson.

Wilkerson claims that the team doesn’t “want” him, but he’s wrong about that. The Jets want him, for one more year at $15.7 million. They don’t want to sign him to aFletcher Cox-style deal, and they presumably don’t want to give him a 20-percent raise over his current franchise tender to keep him for 2017.As noted by Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets have compiled through sound drafting and development a trio of competent defensive linemen: Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Leonard Williams. They can hold the threesome together for one more year, let Wilkerson walk in 2017, and try to replace him with a younger, cheaper player.

If they can’t, the Jets eventually may have to pay something close to market value to Richardson or Williams. For now, though, the one thing that Jets don’t have to do — and surely don’t want to do — is sign Wilkerson to a huge-money deal.Doing that would serve only to increase the expectations of Richardson, who already has said both he and Wilkerson want to be paid like Ndamukong Suh. Then, if Richardson gets a big contract, Williams will be counting the days for his own large pile of cash.They can’t sign all three of them to large contracts. They probably can’t sign two of them to large contracts. So, for now, the Jets are taking full advantage of rules that allow them to continue to squat on Wilkerson, a first-round pick in 2011, for one more year before the cost for keeping him for another year spikes to $18.8 million.

Of course, this permits Wilkerson to take full advantage of rules that allow him to skip all of training camp and the preseason and still get the full $15.7 million. And none of the rules prevent Jets players from wondering why a team that hasn’t been to the playoffs since 2010 isn’t rewarding quality in-house players with big contracts, opting instead to throw money at guys who have made their contributions with other teams, like Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte, and Darrelle Revis (who returned to the Jets after winning a Super Bowl with the Patriots).This offseason alone, the Jets have squeezed tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson into retirement, allowed tailback Chris Ivory and defensive lineman Damon Harrisonto exit via free agency, engaged in a three-months-and-counting stare down with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, and by all appearances refused to offer a meaningful long-term contract to Wilkerson. The public nature of the Fitzpatrick situation and, more recently, the Wilkerson dispute could eventually create a problem in the locker room.

Coach Todd Bowles has shown that he can deal with anything and everything that comes his way, most notably the fist that came Geno Smith’s way last year. At some point, the franchise’s approach to handling its own free agents could give Bowles a headache that even he will have a hard time resolving.

>   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/16/wilkerson-has-it-wrong-the-jets-want-him-for-one-more-year/

Look the Jets have almost no cap space. Wilk is coming off of a broken leg. Chances are with recent huge deals like with Vernon and Cox he wants 100 mil and over 60 guaranteed for over 15 per season. Now you know why the Jets couldn't trade him. So in his case the tag makes sense. I also want to see how he plays after a serious injury. 

WILL WILKERSON GET PAID  ?

Muhammad Wilkerson is clearly worth the cash the Jets would be required to pony up for his services. But a look at the other moves New York has to make in the future makes things look far less clear cut. Predicting NFL contract extensions

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

If disgruntled Jets DE Muhammad Wilkerson reports to training camp -- a big if -- he likely won't be cleared for practice on Day 1, according to coach Todd Bowles. Wilkerson, six months removed from surgery to repair a broken leg, is "coming along fine," Bowles said. But he added: "I don't think (the trainers) will let him participate" at the outset.

>     http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Muhammad Wilkerson is unhappy with his contract situation, but he's not ready to pull a Von Miller, the Denver Broncos star who said there's "no chance" he will play in 2016 under the franchise tag.

Speaking to reporters Friday night at his charity bowling event in Linden, New Jersey, Wilkerson wouldn't say whether he'd sit out if he can't secure a long-term contract. He also declined to say if he's planning to be a training camp no-show."I'm not going to answer that question right now because there's no deal in place," the New York Jets defensive end said, according to published reports. "Nobody knows what can happen."

Wilkerson reiterated his frustration.

"I feel like I deserve a new deal, but I understand it's a business," he said. "My focus right now is rehabbing the leg and getting ready. I'm surprised, frustrated, but what can I do? What can I say?"By rule, the two sides have until July 15 to work out a long-term agreement. That appears unlikely. Without a new deal, he'd have a one-year contract for the amount of his franchise tender, $15.7 million.Miller is in the same situation, but the reigning Super Bowl MVP is threatening to sit out the year if he doesn't get a new deal from the Broncos. Wilkerson apparently isn't ready to get on the same soap box -- not yet, anyway. By the way, he'd lose a $924,000 check for every game he misses.

Unfortunately for Wilkerson, he doesn't have much leverage because of the way the rules are designed. He still hasn't signed his franchise tender, meaning he can't be fined for skipping training camp. Wilkerson, rehabbing his surgically repaired broken leg, said he's been running for several weeks.The community-minded Wilkerson raised money at the bowling event for his T.E.A.M. 96 Foundation, which provides scholarships for college-bound students in the New Jersey/New York area.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61026/skip-training-camp-disgruntled-jets-star-mo-wilkerson-isnt-saying

“Do I feel that they want me back? As of right now, no. I don’t feel like they want me. I’m a talented guy. Everybody knows that. I feel like they’re going to get the best they can out of me and just let me go. That’s how I feel. Do I like that feeling? No. I’m a New Jersey guy, born and raised and would love to raise my family here.”

Absent pre-scheduled meetings with the Jets’ medical staff, Pro Bowl defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has been a ghost this offseason.

The Jets’ franchise-tagged defensive star has been at the Atlantic Health Training Facility, but boycotted the team’s OTA and minicamp workouts. He’s made his message abundantly clear that he wants a new long-term contract, and wants it now.The question now is simple : If Wilkerson doesn’t get a new deal between now, and when the Jets report for training camp July 27, could he considering missing those practices, too?

“I’m not going to answer that question right now because there’s no deal in place,” Wilkerson told reporters at a charity event Friday. “Nobody knows what can happen.”Normally one of the quieter players in the Jets’ locker room, Wilkerson made several headlines earlier this week during an exclusive interview with the New York PostVoicing his frustrations, Wilkerson said he felt the Jets “didn’t want” him,  and that there had been little movement towards getting him the contract he –and most of the sporting world– feels he deserves.

Wilkerson reiterated that Friday night.“I feel like I deserve it a new deal, but I understand it’s a business. My focus right now is rehabbing the leg and getting ready,” Wilkerson said, per NJAM. “I’m surprised, frustrated, but what can I do? What can I say?”

At 27 years old, Wilkerson is regarded as one of the league’s best defensive players and is coming off arguably the best season of his career. In 2015, Wilkerson recorded a career-high 12 sacks. In his last four seasons, he’s brought the quarterback down 33.5 times.Fletcher Cox, who was awarded a $103-million extension, has just 22 sacks in that same stretch.“Happy for those guys,” Wilkerson said. “But I know I deserve it.”

And when will he get what he deserves? The waiting gamecontinues. . .

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/18/muhammad-wilkerson-hasnt-decided-if-hell-show-up-for-jets-training-camp/

The 2011 first-round draft class became the first that was subject to the rules of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, creating an intriguing case study. With a true rookie wage scale, a mandatory three-year waiting period before new deals can be done, and a fifth-year team-heldoption, how many teams would reward the best players quickly — and how many would drag their feet ?

The verdict is now in. All non-busts from the first round of the 2011 draft have gotten paid, with the exception of two: Broncos linebacker Von Miller and Jets defensive linemanMuhammad Wilkerson.

Here’s a quick look at the pro football fates of the 2011 first-round picks.

1. Panthers quarterback Cam Newton: Received a $103.8 million contract extension after four seasons.

2. Broncos linebacker Von Miller: Received the exclusive franchise tag after completing his five-year contract. Unsigned.

3. Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus: Received a $100 million contract extension after four seasons.

4. Bengals receiver A.J. Green: Received a four-year, $60 million extension after four seasons.

5. Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson: Received a five-year, $70 million extension after three seasons.

6. Falcons receiver Julio Jones: Received a five-year, $71.25 million extension after four seasons.

7. 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith: Was cut after multiple off-field incidents and currently is serving a one-year suspension.

8. Titans quarterback Jake Locker: Retired after the completion of his four-year contract.

9. Cowboys tackle Tyron Smith: Received a fluff-filled 10-year, $110 million contract after three seasons.

10. Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert: Was traded to the 49ers after busting in Jacksonville.

11. Texans defensive end J.J. Watt: Received a six-year, $100 million extension after three seasons.

12. Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder: Left Minnesota after his four-year contract ended. He is currently out of football.

13. Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley: Left Detroit after his four-year contract ended. Spent a year with the Rams and signed earlier this year with the Saints.

14. Rams defensive end Robert Quinn: Received a six-year, $65.6 million contract extension after three seasons.

15. Dolphins center Mike Pouncey: Received a five-year, $52.15 million extension after four seasons.

16. Washington linebacker Ryan Kerrigan: Received a five-year, $57.5 million extension after four seasons.

17. Patriots tackle Nate Solder: Received a two-year, $20 million extension after four seasons.

18. Chargers defensive end Corey Liuget: Received a five-year, $50 million extension after four seasons.

19. Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara: Signed a contract with the Jaguars as an unrestricted free agent after his five-year deal expired.

20. Buccaneers defensive end Adrian Clayborn: Signed with the Falcons after his four-year contract expired. Clayborn re-signed a two-year deal in Atlanta in March.

21. Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor: Released by the Browns after four seasons, Taylor didn’t play in 2015. He signed with the Broncos in February.

22. Colts tackle Anthony Castonzo: Received a four-year, $43 million extension after four seasons.

23. Eagles guard Danny Watkins: Released after two seasons, Watkins spent one year with the Dolphins before exiting football.

24. Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan: Received a five-year, $60 million extension after four seasons.

25. Seahawks guard James Carpenter: Left Seattle after four seasons, signing with the Jets.

26. Chiefs receiver Jonathan Baldwin: Traded to the 49ers after two seasons. Baldwin spent one year in San Francisco before being released.

27. Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith: Received a four-year, $48 million extension after four seasons.

28. Saints running back Mark Ingram: Signed a four-year, $16 million contract after his four-year rookie deal expired.

29. Bears tackle Gabe Carimi: Traded to the Buccaneers after two seasons. Carimi was cut after one year. He spent 2014 with the Falcons.

:wub: 30. Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson: Received the non-exclusive franchise tag after completing his five-year contract. Unsigned.

31. Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward: Received a six-year, $59.25 million contract after four seasons.

32. Packers tackle Derek Sherrod: Released by Packers during his fourth season. Signed by the Chiefs for the 2015 offseason. He was cut before the regular-season opener.

Four of the first-round picks (Peterson, Smith, Watt, Quinn) received new deals after three seasons. Twelve received extensions after four years. One, Mark Ingram, received a contract from the team that drafted him after his rookie contract expired.

Two, Miller and  :wub: Wilkerson :wub: , have yet to get new contracts. If they don’t sign multi-year deals by July 15, they can sign only a one-year contract until the 2016 regular season ends.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/18/miller-wilkerson-the-only-two-non-busts-from-2011-to-not-get-paid/

During his contract dispute, which stretches back a couple of years,Muhammad Wilkerson has watched similarly talented defensive linemen score big deals with their respective teams. We've reported the names and the contract numbers, connecting them to Wilkerson's situation. There's another interesting angle -- a look at how those players fared after reaping enormous riches.

For the most part, they regressed in terms of production, showing that bang for the buck isn't always a given -- at least not in Year 1 of the contract. You can bet the New York Jets are aware of the trend. This isn't to suggest they're concerned about Wilkerson falling into that trap; it just confirms there's a buyer-beware element to every major investment.

Let's take a look at the biggest deals from 2014 and 2015 (based on guaranteed money) :

Marcell Dareus, Buffalo Bills (six-year, $108 million extension, $60 million guaranteed): He was a dominant force in 2014, racking up 10 sacks and making the All-Pro team, but he fell off a cliff last season after signing his mega-deal. He managed only two sacks, a career low. Teammate Jerry Hughes ($22 million guaranteed) fell into the same category, going from 10 sacks to five. You think the Bills wish they could take a mulligan on those deals?

Ndamukong Suh, Miami Dolphins (six years, $114 million, $60 million guaranteed): Suh, one of the top free agents in recent years, was supposed to lift the Miami defense on his giant shoulders and carry it to dominance. Let's just say his overall performance fell short of expectations. He finished with only six sacks, down from 8.5 in the previous year with the Detroit Lions. He didn't even make the Pro Bowl, one year after an All-Pro season.

Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints (five-year, $60 million extension, $33.5 million guaranteed): Jordan bucked the trend, going from 7.5 sacks to 10 and making his first Pro Bowl. Overall, he was a more disruptive presence than in 2014, allowing the Saints to feel good about their investment.

Corey Liuget, San Diego Chargers (five-year, $51.3 million extension, $30.5 million guaranteed): He missed the final four games with a foot injury and battled a knee problem that required minor offseason surgery. He finished with only three sacks, down from 4.5.

Robert Quinn, Rams (six years, $65.6 million, $41.2 million guaranteed): Talk about a disappearing act. He was coming off a 19-sack season when he signed the contract, but he hasn't come anywhere close to that over the past two years. He managed 10.5 sacks in 2014, but slipped to five last season after missing eight games with a back issue. His epic performance in '13 turned out to be an aberration, but Quinn parlayed it into big bucks.

J.J. Watt, Houston Texans (six-year, $100 million extension, $51.9 million guaranteed): The true exception to the rule, Watt got better -- a lot better -- after signing his new contract. He essentially doubled his sack production, going from 10.5 to 20.5 sacks. You could make the argument Watt has outperformed his contract, considering the money thrown at lesser defensive linemen in recent months.

2016 offseason

It'll be interesting to see how the Philadelphia Eagles' Fletcher Cox ($63 million guaranteed), New York Giants' Olivier Vernon ($52.5 million) andJacksonville Jaguars' Malik Jackson ($42 million) perform after signing the biggest defensive-line contracts of the 2016 offseason. Technically, Wilkerson still could wind up in that group, but it's highly unlikely.

By rule, the Jets have until July 15 to sign him to a long-term contract or else he will play on a one-year contract for the amount of his franchise-tag tender ($15.7 million), which seems to suit the Jets. They're in no rush to lock up one of their best players, which certainly clouds his future.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61150/do-jets-fear-buyers-remorse-with-potential-mo-wilkerson-deal

Good news on the Muhammad Wilkerson front -- not his contract situation, but rather his health.

On Friday, the New York Jets’ Pro Bowl defensive end took to social media to provide an update as he rehabs his surgically repaired broken leg. This video marks the first time he's seen running without a brace. He's doing it on terra firma, the practice field at the Jets' training facility, where Wilkerson has been rehabbing (but not practicing with the team) for a few weeks.

Coach Todd Bowles indicated last week at the conclusion of minicamp that he's not sure if Wilkerson, injured in the final game, will be cleared to practice at the start of training camp, July 28. Chances are, he will start camp on the physically-unable-to-perform list, but it could be a moot point anyway because there's a chance he may not show up.

Wilkerson, given the franchise tag in February, still hasn't signed his tender, meaning he's under no obligation to report. He won't say if he's planning to report or not, but the smart money says he will stay away for the early grind of camp. He will have to play on a one-year contract ($15.7 million) if the two sides don't agree to a long-term deal by July 15, which seems unlikely.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61183/jets-de-mo-wilkerson-wants-world-to-know-hes-running-again

• 2 weeks later...

With all the attention this offseason given to Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, the status of defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has flown a bit under the radar.

Slapped with the franchise tag, Wilkerson is about as frustrated as one player can be that he, despite being one of the game’s best at his position, has yet to receive a long-term contract.

Are the Jets wrong to continually low-ball their Pro Bowl defensive end ? Should they just give him the contract he deserves? Why the heck hasn’t he been given that contract already ?

Watch the video above and find out.

>      http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/08/watch-are-the-jets-mistreating-muhammad-wilkerson/

Franchise tag or long-term deal ? Deadline predictions

Players hit with the franchise tag have until Friday, July 15 to work out new deals with their respective clubs or else they'll have to play the 2016 season under their one-year pacts. We previously detailedwhich non-franchise-tag players were in line for big deals this summer, but with a week to go until the deadline, it's time to predict which of the tagged players will head into training camp on multi-year deals and which will have their eye on 2017.

The information is our best guess at the moment, culled from various sources with knowledge of thesituation, published reports and good old-fashioned common sense.

~ ~  Muhammad Wilkerson, defensive end, New York Jets: NO. Both sides still aren't talking, and barring a  massive  change of heart from general manager Mike Maccagnan (or Wilkerson, for that matter), we will be watching the opening practices of Jets camp without the team's best player present. (UPDATE: NFL Media's Mike Garafolo revealed on Friday's NFL Total Access that he talked with someone close to Wilkerson who said they "expect the Jets to make one last-ditch offer next week.) The Jets are privately hoping Wilkerson, a New Jersey native who has been a good soldier throughout his career, will miss his teammates and the fans enough to make it back after a few protest days starting in late July.

Wilkerson is hoping that, despite his broken leg at the end of last season, the Jets recognize that he is on par with (or better than) Cox, who turned the market on its head after inking a seven-year, $110.79 million deal with more than $60 million in guaranteed money. The sad part in all of this? Wilkerson deserves the money and has been promised a big-money deal by three different general managers now. According to one source close to the situation, the Jetswere using Wilkerson's big pending deal as an excuse not to sign other free agents as early as 2013, when Rex Ryan was privately touting Wilkerson as the next Richard Seymour.

rest of above article  :  

>    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000673695/article/franchise-tag-or-longterm-deal-deadline-predictions

There has been no movement in the Jets’ contract impasses with star players Ryan Fitzpatrick and Muhammad Wilkerson, although a key date in the Wilkerson saga is coming up Friday.

The Jets placed the franchise tag on Wilkerson on March 1, meaning he would have to play for a one-year tender of $15.7 million unless the two sides agreed on a long-term contract. The deadline for concurring upon such a deal is Friday. If the Jets and Wilkerson cannot come to a long-term agreement by then, Wilkerson would have toplay the 2016 season under a one-year deal.Defensive end Wilkerson would like a deal similar to the one Philadelphia gave defensive tackle Fletcher Cox last month, when he signed a six-year, $103 million contract extension. Such a contract for Wilkerson seems highly unlikely, although NFL Media reported last week that Wilkerson’s representatives expect the Jets to make some sort of "last-ditch" offer before the deadline.

Wilkerson hasn’t said whether he will report for the start of training camp July 27.

As for Fitzpatrick, he, of course, has no plans to report for camp at this time because he remains unsigned. The veteran quarterback, who set a team record with 31 touchdown passes last season, has been on the free-agent market since March.The Jets have offered Fitzpatrick a three-year, $24 million deal which includes $15 million in guaranteed money, according to a source. But Fitzpatrick and agent Jimmy Sexton likely believe his compensation should be more in line with the four-year, $72 million deal that still-unproven former Denver quarterback Brock Osweiler signed with Houston.

The problem for Fitzpatrick and Sexton is that other than the Jets, every team seems set at quarterback, leaving the free agent little leverage. That would change if a signal-caller or two gets injured in July or August, but can Fitzpatrick really afford to wait that long?Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated during the June minicamp that if Fitzpatrick isn’t in the fold by the fourth week of training camp, the job might go to the current No. 1, Geno Smith. On the final day of minicamp, Bowles made it clear he was fed up with questionsabout Fitzpatrick and that he wouldn’t answer them anymore.

Still, those questions will persist, as will the queries about Wilkerson until one or both is back in the fold.

>   http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/jets/deadline-approaching-for-jets-wilkerson-1.1628486

WILKERSON LEADS 300-POUND PLAYERS

The Jets have until Friday to sign franchise tagged defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term deal. Few tackles in the league have the impact Wilkerson had in the passing game as shown by his sack numbers over the past five seasons.

WilkersonSacks.jpg&cquality=80

>   http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Last year, every franchise-tagged player with 10 fingers ended up signing a long-term contract before the July 15 deadline. This year, there may only be a handful who do long-term deals.

The problem is simple. The amount of the franchise tender is the starting point for a long-term deal. In most cases, the player gets his franchise salary plus a 20-percent raise (or a little more) for the next year fully guaranteed at signing. This year, several teams aren’t willing to make that kind of a commitment.The players, to their credit, seem to be willing to take a year-to-year approach to the tag, carrying the injury risk and setting the stage for the 20-percent raise next year or a shot at the open market. That’s why Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins won’t be signing a long-term deal, and it will be the primary reason for the absence of a long-term contract for Bears receiver Alshon Jeffery, Chiefs safety Eric Berry, Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson, and Ravens kicker Justin Tucker, if none of them sign.

As to the Jets and defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson, the team has shown no inclination to keep him beyond this season, making a long-term deal irrelevant.As to the Broncos and linebacker Von Miller, the team has opted to offer a deal that pays out more than what the tag would give Miller over the next two years. Indeed, the Broncos already are willing to fully guaranteed by March 2017 more than what Miller would receive under three years of the tag. Miller has the skill and the leverage to demand something closer to true market value than a contract based on the tag.

For the rest of the tagged players, the calculation is easy. This year, however, the negotiation isn’t.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/13/contracts-for-tagged-players-are-easy-to-calculate-but-hard-this-year-to-negotiate/

The NFL's franchise tag deadline is approaching. By 4 p.m. Friday, if a franchise tagged player does not sign a long-term contract with his team, then he will essentially be forced to play 2016 on a one-year contract for the tag figure — and he cannot sign a long-term deal until after the season. 

With the Jets, this all applies, of course, to star defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson. As of last check, it appears Wilkerson's agent, Chad Wiestling, and the Jets' front office remain far apart in contract talks.Barring a last-minute change, it looks like Wilkerson won't sign a long-term contract by 4 p.m. Friday, and will play 2016 on a one-year franchise tag contract.(His only other option is to sit out the season and earn no money. It seems highly improbable he'd do that, even if he doesn't report on Day 1 of training camp, as a continued show of frustration about his contract situation.) 

That franchise tag contract would pay Wilkerson $15.701 million for 2016. And then he could become an unrestricted free agent next offseason. But it's not guaranteed that he will become an unrestricted free agent next offseason. That's because the Jets can franchise tag him again. Yes, they technically could retain his rights for a seventh consecutive season, in 2017, and again prevent him from fairly negotiating his value in free agency.Wilkerson was a first-round draft pick by the Jets in 2011, and the NFL's current collective bargaining agreement — with its fifth-year option and franchise tag clauses — puts successful first-round picks like Wilkerson in a tough spot. 

Now, it would be costly for the Jets to franchise tag Wilkerson again in 2017. They'd have to pay him 120 percent of what he makes in 2016 — or about $18.841 million.Yes, the NFL's salary cap is expected to go up (perhaps way up) again next offseason, so an $18.841 million cap hit might not be so devastating. But the Jets franchise tagging Wilkerson for a second consecutive offseason would mean they invested about $34.542 million in a player for just two seasons. 

Is this something Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan wants to do?

That surely depends on how the Jets' fellow promising defensive ends, Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams, perform in 2016. Maccagnan isn't evaluating Wilkerson's value in a vacuum. Whatever Richardson and Williams do (or don't do) this season likely will impact how Maccagnan approaches the Wilkerson situation next offseason, presuming Friday's deadline passes without a long-term deal.

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/would_jets_franchise_tag_muhammad_wilkerson_again.html#incart_river_index

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

Because the Jets thought it would be better to shoot their load on a declining CB.

Mo should have been extended last year when they had all the coin to do so.

SOJ.

STOP 

Revis is still better than any player in the Patriots secondary, 

On 6/13/2016 at 8:32 AM, drdetroit said:

You know why we don't give Mo Wilkerson a $100 million deal?

Because a guy named Von Miller may end up being UFA next off season

If the Jets won't pay Muhammed , what makes you think they will pay Von Miller ?

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why havent we signed Mo Wilk yet to a longterm deal.

~ ~  Muhammad Wilkerson: Sides haven't appeared close on a new deal in a long while. With Making the Leap candidate Leonard Williams in-house, the Jets might feel they already have Mo's eventual replacement.

rest of above article : 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000674600/article/franchise-tag-deadline-primer-who-will-get-new-deal

Archived