Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

In an NFL draft class robust with defensive linemen, a player who has already proven to be among the NFL elite might be the name to watch on the opening night of the draft: the New York Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson. If Wilkerson, a defensive end, is traded, the Jets' asking price will be a first-round pick, and that alone might not get the deal done, multiple team sources told Yahoo Sports.At this point, Wilkerson is still on the block. He could be traded in the coming weeks. He could be traded on the first day of the draft. But if that doesn't happen, Wilkerson may not get dealt, and the Jets will continue to work on a potential extension. He's currently locked into next season under the franchise tag, at a cost of $15.701 million. He is in a group of multiple players under the tag who have varying levels of difficulty ahead with new long-term deals. Wilkerson, however, is the most pressing due to his availability on the trade market.

One team that appears off the board, at least at the moment, is the Chicago Bears. The Bears are unlikely to part with their first-round pick (11th overall) because of the high quality defensive line depth in this draft, a league source said. Acquiring Wilkerson would require subtracting another key draft piece, as well as a massive new contract, although Chicago has ample salary-cap space to accommodate such a new deal for Wilkerson.

A trade partner for Wilkerson has become more difficult to find because of four factors. First, partners require the cap space to sign Wilkerson to one of the richer defensive end deals in NFL history. The starting point of that negotiation has been ratcheted up by the contract Olivier Vernon landed in free agency. Vernon landed with the New York Giants at a clip of $17 million per season, $52.5 million of which is guaranteed. Wilkerson's next deal will be expected to start in that neighborhood. That's a problem. Second, a team has to surrender the resources to acquire him, and that includes a first-round pick (if not more). Third, no deal can be consummated until Wilkerson works out financial terms with a suitor, which in essence gives him the power to veto any trade if he doesn't like the destination. In an awkward way, the Jets would essentially have to relent on Wilkerson being courted by teams while satisfying their trade requirements and still being under their franchise tag. And, finally, Wilkerson suffered a broken leg at the end of last season. Although he's expected to be fully healed and ready to go by training camp, any interested teams will require him to pass a physical for a deal to be consummated. That's all but impossible to do on draft day, meaning it would have to be done beforehand.

That's a lot to ask in short time before the draft kicks off on April 28. That's what might keep Wilkerson on the Jets' roster for at least one more season.

rest of above article : 

>    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/9-franchise-tag-talks--1-can-alter-nfl-draft--2-others-could-get-ugly-200000826.html

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kelly said:

Third, no deal can be consummated until Wilkerson works out financial terms with a suitor, which in essence gives him the power to veto any trade if he doesn't like the destination. In an awkward way, the Jets would essentially have to relent on Wilkerson being courted by teams while satisfying their trade requirements and still being under their franchise tag.

This should be no problem at all. I take for granted a team making an offer to the Jets would have already spoken to Wilkerson's agent ahead of time to get the framework of a deal ironed out. Otherwise, what's the point of offering the Jets a pick in the first place?

Wilkerson is a free agent right now, and has been since the league year began, so he's been free to talk to anyone/everyone. I think it ruins their contract leverage a bit if they show they're already willing to give up a #1 pick (more or less) for him before feeling him out money-wise. 

If/when there's a trade, he'll have his contract banged out right away. This isn't like NE trading Seymour to Oakland, who couldn't talk contract extension with him until after the trade was over.

WILKERSON TO OAKLAND FOR A DRAFT PICK ?

The Jets are in need of cap room and a quarterback. They could help both situations by shipping Muhammad Wilkerson to the Raiders for a first-round pick, according to Mike Sando. The Jets would gain leverage and flexibility in the process. Trades that "should" happen (Insider)

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

4 minutes ago, kelly said:

The Jets are in need of cap room and a quarterback. They could help both situations by shipping Muhammad Wilkerson to the Raiders for a first-round pick, according to Mike Sando. The Jets would gain leverage and flexibility in the process. Trades that "should" happen (Insider)

It would be nice if you posted the whole article. I personally am not an "Insider" (lol)

Your link doesn't even go into detail. 

WOT

1 hour ago, kelly said:

If it just cost the Raiders a first rounder( Muhammad Wilkerson was under contract - reasonable contract ) Than it would be a lot easier to handle.

With the cost to sign Wilkerson ( going to be Suh type of contract) the Raiders can't afford to do that type of contract- just don't have money up front you need to put in escrow.( not to mention would mess  up their longterm salary structure- need that money to eventually sign Carr and K Mack. ( Neither are going to be cheap).

The Raiders why interesting in Wilkerson -aren't a serious suitor for his services.

Will just have to settle for Chis Jones in the draft. ( have enough pass rushers now).

in regards to a potential trade with the Jets for Muhammad Wilkerson, is it possible New York would wait until the Bears are on the clock at No. 11 to pull the trigger on a deal, assuming the player or players they want are on the board ? – Nick L., Springfield

I had a lengthy mailbag response to a Wilkerson question last week and he continues to be a popular topic. I like the way you’re thinking here in that at this point there probably will not be a lot of trade activity until the draft begins and teams begin to look at potential moves up and down the board. However, I think there is an issue you are failing to account for in this scenario and it’s a big one, really big.

If any team is going to trade for Wilkerson, they are going to want to hammer out a multi-year contract with him in terms that are acceptable to them before the deal is done. That’s a process that would take a little time. Could it be done in a day? Sure. Could it be done in the 10 minutes teams have when they are on the clock in the first round? I highly doubt it. So a trade for Wilkerson would, in all likelihood, have to go down before the draft. Is that absolutely the case? No. But that’s my best take on any effort by the Jets to trade Wilkerson during the draft.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/blog/ct-muhammad-wilkerson-jets-draft-20160413-story.html

On 4/12/2016 at 11:38 AM, Ex-Rex said:

What would the Eagles offer be? A first rounder? Number eight pick? Doubtful. This draft is deep in D-LINE prospects so why give a first rounder for a guy they need to pay QB money to when they can draft a similar guy and pay him a fourth of that?

About half of these "good" DT's in the draft will be Meh in the NFL.   Not a single guarantee that ANY of them will play at the level of a Pro Bowler.  MO's only 26, and a dependable star , with no off field issues

As expected, Mo to hold out of voluntary team workouts prior to the draft. The only annoyance would be that the team's medical staff can't see how his injury recovery has progressed since the end of the season, no?

Franchise-tagged RE Muhammad Wilkerson plans to skip voluntary workouts.

It's an expected move with Wilkerson's situation. The Jets will continue to shop him leading up to the draft.

Apr 16 - 2:24 P

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

As expected, Mo to hold out of voluntary team workouts prior to the draft. The only annoyance would be that the team's medical staff can't see how his injury recovery has progressed since the end of the season, no?

It's an expected move with Wilkerson's situation. The Jets will continue to shop him leading up to the draft.

Not even, it's a broken leg folks. If there's long term issues after a simple broken leg then there's zero shot your genetic makeup (or whatever, science!) is that of an NFL athlete, let alone a 300+ pounder with Wilkerson's level of stamina and durability.

13 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jmo I think the only thing the Jets have to worry about long term with Muhammad Wilkerson - is if they can't trade him during the draft.

If that is the case( has to play under the franchise tag for this year), you can expect M Wilkerson to miss almost all of Ota's and training camp.( won't sign his franchise tender a week before the season starts.( not going to be a happy camper). 

When players miss that much time , they come back not in ideal shape, and are more prone to annoying injuries that could last all season.    Would be tough to pay a guy 15.7 million whose sitting on the sidelines , recovering from those type of injuries.

Wait one minute thar Baba Louie...Now Mo Wilkerson is expected to make 15.7 MILLION dollars as a  tagged franchise player. I thought that getting tagged is looked down upon among the players. So...while our NJ home boy decides to 'skip' the upcoming workout program, but iI'll tell you this; if someone told me that I was going to "only" make about 16 million dollars for 5-6 months of work, the only skipping I'd be doing would be while I'm singing skip skip skip to my lou wearing a big old goofy hat and sporting a parasol, skipping my way through the security gate at the Atlantic Health Training Center-Are you effing kidding me?

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wouldn't we gat a 2017 Comp pick if this were to happen? A 3rd most likely.

Depends on the net loss / gain of the rest of our FAs.

But we still get nothing this year ... maybe getting a late 3rd round pick next year doesn't exactly inspire me. If we're that desperate get a late 2nd this year, I'm sure you could find a few takers at that price.

29 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Depends on the net loss / gain of the rest of our FAs.

But we still get nothing this year ... maybe getting a late 3rd round pick next year doesn't exactly inspire me. If we're that desperate get a late 2nd this year, I'm sure you could find a few takers at that price.

Who knows after it's all said and done , if you can get a late 2nd this year back for Muhammad Wilkerson.( that is still going to be one expensive contract that some team  going to have to give him- that limits the amount of teams that can even fit him in their salary cap.) 

The Jets would hope they can get better than the second round pick( probably would like a first back).   Let's see what transpires in the next couple of weeks- wouldn't surprise me if this went in variety of directions.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Who knows after it's all said and done , if you can get a late 2nd this year back for Muhammad Wilkerson.( that is still going to be one expensive contract that some team  going to have to give him- that limits the amount of teams that can even fit him in their salary cap.) 

The Jets would hope they can get better than the second round pick( probably would like a first back).   Let's see what transpires in the next couple of weeks- wouldn't surprise me if this went in variety of directions.

It wouldn't surprise me if a few teams haven't contacted the Jets regarding a trade for Mo. Mo's camp, to their credit, have been very quiet, whick would

lead me to believe they have had discussions with other teams on the specifics of a contract. 

I don't think Mac can wait until draft day to make a deal... too many moving pieces. I could see it going right up until the 26th/27th.

Then he works the phones concerning move up/down scenarios on Draft Day.

Then you wait, diagnose, and act depending upon the set of data flashing real time before your eyes!

I think the problem no one is talking about is Mo cannot be on this team for his franchise tender this year.  The Jets currently don't have enough cap space to sign any of their draft class class ($5-6 M?) let alone resign Fitz or a stop gap QB.

Best case scenario is we get picks for him during this draft (looking less likely as the draft nears).  Worst case, we trade him after the draft for picks next year.  Either way, Mo won't be a Jet this season.  

I guess he he could play hard ball and refuse to sign with anyone for less than JJ Watt money.  That leaves the Jets with two choices,     Cutting several vets like Giacomini, Gilchrist, etc, for cap space or just removing the tag and letting Mo walk for what ever comp pick we get next year.  If this was the case, I think we wait as late as possible to screw him as much as he has screwed the Jets.

23 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It wouldn't surprise me if a few teams haven't contacted the Jets regarding a trade for Mo. Mo's camp, to their credit, have been very quiet, whick would

lead me to believe they have had discussions with other teams on the specifics of a contract. 

I don't think Mac can wait until draft day to make a deal... too many moving pieces. I could see it going right up until the 26th/27th.

Then he works the phones concerning move up/down scenarios on Draft Day.

Then you wait, diagnose, and act depending upon the set of data flashing real time before your eyes!

I agree with you. I would want to have this done before draft day. Then you have much more flexibility to do other things if you so desire. The Titans are going to be so busy the next two weeks. It would be a blast being in their war-room this year. It would be like the movie "Draft Day' on speed.:D

Wilkerson is a free agent right now, and has been since the league year began, so he's been free to talk to anyone/everyone.

I thought when a team uses the Franchise Tag on a player it binds them to that team contractually for 1 year and the player is not free to speak with other teams.

Am I missing something here?

8 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I thought when a team uses the Franchise Tag on a player it binds them to that team contractually for 1 year and the player is not free to speak with other teams.

If you're missing something than so am I. I thought that was the whole reason behind the tag.

11 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Wilkerson hasn't signed his tagged, so the Jets can't fine him but you are right unless he is given permission by the Jets .

There are 2 types of franchise tags exclusive and non exclusive Mo has the latter so he can talk to other teams..

Why would the Jets do that?

What happens if he reaches a contract agreement with another team? Does he just leave and the Jets get nothing?

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why would the Jets do that?

What happens if he reaches a contract agreement with another team? Does he just leave and the Jets get nothing?

The Jets have the right to match any other offer if they don't the signing team owes 2 1st rd picks however that's always bargained out..

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

I think the problem no one is talking about is Mo cannot be on this team for his franchise tender this year.  The Jets currently don't have enough cap space to sign any of their draft class class ($5-6 M?) let alone resign Fitz or a stop gap QB.

Best case scenario is we get picks for him during this draft (looking less likely as the draft nears).  Worst case, we trade him after the draft for picks next year.  Either way, Mo won't be a Jet this season.  

I guess he he could play hard ball and refuse to sign with anyone for less than JJ Watt money.  That leaves the Jets with two choices,     Cutting several vets like Giacomini, Gilchrist, etc, for cap space or just removing the tag and letting Mo walk for what ever comp pick we get next year.  If this was the case, I think we wait as late as possible to screw him as much as he has screwed the Jets.

10. Cap update: The Jets have $3.88 million in cap room, according to NFLPA records. It's enough to sign their six draft picks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59763/mo-wilkerson-could-be-key-to-jets-quest-for-franchise-caliber-quarterback

There is also no guarantee of a comp pick. Depends on what FA's the Jets sign.  Right now the Jets have no comp picks coming, in spite of losing Snacks, and Ivory,  because of the FA's they have signed

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No one is giving up 2 1st round picks for Mo Wilk.

I seriously doubt it. Hope he finds an agreement on $$ with another team. Then we work out a trade and poof he's gone. We get some extra picks plus more salary relief.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

10. Cap update: The Jets have $3.88 million in cap room, according to NFLPA records. It's enough to sign their six draft picks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59763/mo-wilkerson-could-be-key-to-jets-quest-for-franchise-caliber-quarterback

Crap! I thought we had more but then again we signed Clady so there went some of the Brick's savings. In my mind I'm thinking we almost HAVE to jettison Wilk.

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

Crap! I thought we had more but then again we signed Clady so there went some of the Brick's savings. In my mind I'm thinking we almost HAVE to jettison Wilk.

yeah I'm afraid they are going to wind up with a small compensation.

If it comes to that I'd rather take a 1st next year.

The only way I WON'T be pissed off if Mo gets traded is if it helps the Jets land a franchise QB that is named Lynch and gets Geno sent packing for good, and I reserve the right to STILL Biatch about it if Lynch turns out to NOT be what I hoped he would become. Otherwise I want the Jets to KEEP their BEST PLAYER a Jet instead of us always having to watch our players win super bowls and have amazing careers.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No one is giving up 2 1st round picks for Mo Wilk.

Of course not unless Gato is the GM of the other team..;) Those 2 first picks is just a negotiation starter then they make a deal from there.. If the best you can get is a 2nd pick then that's the best deal on the table you take it or leave it.. 

3 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The only way I WON'T be pissed off if Mo gets traded is if it helps the Jets land a franchise QB that is named Lynch and gets Geno sent packing for good, and I reserve the right to STILL Biatch about it if Lynch turns out to NOT be what I hoped he would become. Otherwise I want the Jets to KEEP their BEST PLAYER a Jet instead of us always having to watch our players win super bowls and have amazing careers.

You can make a case for the best D player last year but without Fitz's best season the Jets don't go 10-6.. Plus Mo is a disgruntled player who said he would like to play for the 49'ers I think he's gone mentally already the body will follow after the draft of during the draft..

Archived