Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

57 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

It pisses me off that the jets are so stubborn to not pay the man what he deserves. 

Thats the jets way, go get high priced FAs and let homegrown players leave. I hate this team sometimes 

From most accounts, the Jets would be willing to pay what he deserves, but he wants more than that. Can't blame the team for standing their ground here.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

It pisses me off that the jets are so stubborn to not pay the man what he deserves. 

Thats the jets way, go get high priced FAs and let homegrown players leave. I hate this team sometimes 

The term worth (or what he deserves) is a funny concept; yes, it is supply and demand (if you want to look at it that way, my social worker wife would define his worth differently :-)

it isn't as simple as paying him what he deserves. There is the cap; tomorrow people will be saying the same thing about another player - you can't pay them all what they want. Also, if they write the big check to Mo, Sheldon will be - hey I can demand what I want. I find it interesting that people hated Mike T for signing big contracts and caving to negotiations (I realize Mo is different than Sanchez and Brink), (and Macc for paying Revis and Harris so much), but want him to just pay they guy for Mo.

IMO there are 4 things that determine what a team is willing to pay:

1. what the perceived market is for the player is (this is likely different than what the player perceives the market to be)

2. what the team is willing to pay - so they can think he is worth what he wants, but because of value to the team - 4-3 vs 3-4, depth, locker room presences, importance of position, etc. Here I think Mo scores well - he is a good fit, good team player, stout on the run, etc.

3. what leverage they have - in this case not much

4. team balance and opportunity costs. here is where i think the problem for the jets lies. If they pay MO the money he wants (or his value as above), what do they do with Sheldon? Clearly you are not going to pay them both; so if you keep Mo, then you likely loose Sheldon in 2 years. What about other positions, if you lock up Mo, can you sign a FA pass rusher? And of course the cap. Had the jets signed him 2 years ago when a. they had more leverage and b. Sheldon was 4 years away, then they could have done more. You sign Mo to a 6 year deal, and then the same for Sheldon and there would only be 2 years of overlap.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The real shame is we're paying a CB who retired last year QB money, taking away an opportunity to pay a guy who's coming into his prime and is going to be balling for years to come.

I am not sure Revis has anything to do with this; had you signed Mo to a long term deal, it would likely free up cap space, making the Revis payment not important; when the Mo deal would start impacting the cap more (like in 2 years) you could let Revis go if needed. Just my opinion.

At this point, I think a long term deal isn't possible, so if they either don't think Geno can take us all the way, or Petty or Hack are ready to take us all the way, or Fitz is likely to sign (and take us all the way), I think the Tag money to MO isn't worth it and they should just rescind the tag, save the 15.7, get the comp pick next year (instead of 2018), and wish Mo the best of luck.

Revis wishes he was making QB money. He's several million dollars short. Unless Luck is an idiot and a douche, he might double Revis' peak salaries.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

From most accounts, the Jets would be willing to pay what he deserves, but he wants more than that. Can't blame the team for standing their ground here.

Sounds legit...They thought he was worth $15.8 for the one year, so possibly something's up with this narrative. I say this assuming this tale somehow has something to do with JJ Watt.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm fine if mo is demanding 17 mil+, especially if Oliver Vernon whom is not half the player Mo is, is getting that.

37 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

I'm fine if mo is demanding 17 mil+, especially if Oliver Vernon whom is not half the player Mo is, is getting that.

You can't have two players on your defense making 17 million a year. That's just not the way to manage a salary cap. And a #1 corner is much more valuable than a 3-4 run stuffing defensive end/tackle.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You can't have two players on your defense making 17 million a year. That's just not the way to manage a salary cap. And a #1 corner is much more valuable than a 3-4 run stuffing defensive end/tackle.

I mean....they're basically doing it right now without any cap space, and they have plenty next year and beyond. Throw in that nobody has any actual clue as to what Wilkerson is demanding and this all seems overly dramatic and short sighted.

It's Jets mailbag time, folks. 

So let's get right to your questions and our answers. 

@DarrylSlater any chance the jets resign mo for a long term deal ?  Any chance at all ?

23 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

, I think the Tag money to MO isn't worth it and they should just rescind the tag, save the 15.7, get the comp pick next year (instead of 2018), and wish Mo the best of luck.

Disagree with your last sentence (if a Fitz deal is worked out) ... Otherwise well said !

21 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Tiger Beat approves of this message.

20 hours ago, ljr said:

Disagree with your last sentence (if a Fitz deal is worked out) ... Otherwise well said !

Yeah, if Fitz comes back and you think you can make a run, then I can see holding onto Mo another season. I said it on another thread (or maybe this one), mid-July when Mo needs to sign his tag is really the drop-dead date for signing Fitz (and not OTAs); you probably want Fitz if Mo is there and you may want Mo there if Fitz is there.

An ex-Patriots star recently said some very kind things about Jets defensive endMuhammad Wilkerson

According to Willie McGinest, the former Pro Bowl pass rusher for New England, Wilkerson is among the NFL's five best defensive players. McGinest said so on the NFL Network, in fact.McGinest also included Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, and Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly in his "no particular order" list. 

Here's what McGinest, who played for the Patriots from 1994-2005, had to say about Wilkerson  : 

"He's one of the best defensive players in the league. I struggled with this one. You had [Ndamukong] Suh and a couple other players I could've put in there. But when you look at players that impact the football game, it always starts for me at the line of scrimmage. Here's a player that's dominant against the run. He's always being double teamed. As a pass rusher, you can't stop him. You can't block him one-on-one. You always have to double him. When you talk to offensive coordinators in the league, the one guy they always single out on the Jets' team that they have to game plan around and for is Muhammad Wilkerson. I just love his athleticism and everything he brings to the game." 

The Jets have franchise tagged Wilkerson, and they have until July 15 to give him the long-term contract he wants. It seems unlikely that'll happen at this point, though. And the Jets have said they likely won't trade Wilkerson, after being at odds with his camp about his contract value for quite a while. 

So expect Wilkerson to play 2016 under the one-year franchise tag (worth $15.701 million) and become a free agent next offseason. 

But in the meantime, he appreciated what McGinest said about him : 

Shout out to @WillieMcGinest for showing the love I appreciate it https://youtu.be/_QGxabGiPKQ 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/ex_patriots_player_willie_mcginest_says_nice_thing.html#incart_river_index

I'd say he's in the top handful for sure. Watt's the only outright better 300+ pounder, Donald's right there too as a completely different kind of a player altogether and not as versatile.  The names McGinest mentions are the right ones. I'd say it's depressing that his own team's fanbase is basically clueless to how valuable and good he is, but really predictable and par for the course.

• 2 weeks later...

The New York Jets have 43 days to sign Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term contract. If it doesn't happen by July 15, he must play this season for the amount of his franchise tender -- $15.7 million. What are the chances of a deal getting done?

About the same as Todd Bowles leading a conga line of Jets' fans through Times Square.

"We want to come to an agreement -- we want to sign all our good players -- but that doesn’t always work out," the Jets coach said Wednesday. "I’m not saying we are or aren’t. Obviously, you want to keep your good players around, but with the rules these days, they make it very hard after four or five years to keep your own. So we've got to try to finagle and find ways to do that and have enough money to try to do so."

Actually, the Jets can lower Wilkerson's cap charge by negotiating a long-term deal, but I'm not going to nitpick because Bowles gets paid to coach, not manage the cap. The main issues: The Jets already have a lot invested in the defensive line and the two sides seem to have a fundamental difference of opinion on Wilkerson's value as a player.Wilkerson probably is looking for something north of Olivier Vernon's guarantee from the New York Giants -- $52.5 million. Funny thing is, Vernon will earn more in his first two seasons with the Giants ($41 million) than Wilkerson would make from the Jets if he gets tagged again in 2017. His two-year take would be $34.5 million, which is why I don't think the Jets have ruled out tagging him again. Obviously, that wouldn't sit well with Wilkerson. It also wouldn't be a good message to the rest of the locker room.

Bowles said he's hopeful Wilkerson will report to training camp in late July, but I don't think that's a gimme. Because he hasn't signed his tender, Wilkerson isn't under contract, meaning he's not obligated to participate in mandatory activities -- i.e. the minicamp in two weeks.By late July, Wilkerson's window for a long-term deal will be closed, meaning he'd have nothing to gain financially by staging a training-camp holdout. But he could stay away based on a principle, not to mention saving his surgically repaired broken leg from the rigors of late July and early August practices. Remember, he missed a chunk of camp last summer because of a hamstring injury, and he did just fine in the regular season.

Wilkerson stopped by One Jets Drive to pick up "some things," according to Bowles. Bowles didn't see his Pro Bowl defensive end on that particular day, but he has bumped into him this offseason."I’ve seen Mo, yes. I ran across him," Bowles said. "We kind of run the same ... not circle, but we’re from the same place" -- meaning the Elizabeth, New Jersey, area.They might be from the same zip code, but they're not in the same area code when it comes to a potential contract.

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60684/jets-say-they-want-to-re-sign-muhammad-wilkerson-but

Two of the biggest storylines concerning the Jets this offseason have centered on players who haven’t been around the team.

The team’s ongoing contract impasse with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has been on center stage all offseason and defensive endMuhammad Wilkerson has also been away from the team after getting the franchise tag a couple of months ago. Wilkerson hasn’t signed his tender and has until July 15 to sign a long-term contract, although nothing appears any more imminent on that front than it did at the start of the offseason.

Coach Todd Bowles didn’t offer much optimism about that changing in the next two months when he was asked about Wilkerson this week.“Well, we want to come to an agreement,” Bowles said. “We want to sign all our good players. But that doesn’t always work out. I’m not saying we are or aren’t. Obviously you want to keep your good players around. But with the rules these days they make it very hard after four or five years to keep your own. So we got to try to finagle and find ways to do that and have enough money to try to do so.”

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports Wilkerson has spoken to the team’s training staff about his recovery from a broken leg and has told friends he won’t attend the team’s minicamp starting on June 14. That would shift the Wilkerson watch to training camp, when the Jets should have a better idea about their quarterback situation as well.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/03/todd-bowles-on-muhammad-wilkerson-keeping-your-best-doesnt-always-work-out/

The Minnesota Vikings have made Harrison Smith the highest-paid safety in the NFL, wrapping up one of the most anticipated (and likeliest) contract agreements of the summer. Which can only lead to one question : Who's next ?

June and July are big business months for the NFL, despite the relative lack of on-field activity. The July 15 deadline for extending players under the franchise tag sparks some deals. For others, the motivation is a desire to finish negotiations before the start of training camp.What follows is a projection of the NFL's next big-money contracts. They're listed in alphabetical order, and it's always possible that they could be delayed. But at some time relatively soon, these players should have a few more zeros at the end of their current salaries.

~ ~ Muhammad Wilkerson

Position : Defensive end

Team : New York Jets

Comment : Wilkerson isn't happy about his status as the Jets' franchise player. At the moment, the Jets appear to have no urgency to give him a long-term deal, especially with Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williamsalso on their defensive line depth chart. There has been some speculation that the Jets would franchise Wilkerson in consecutive years rather than commit long term, but the guess is that something will come before then -- either with the Jets or another team.

rest of above article : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/205090/projecting-the-nfls-next-big-money-contracts

-- A person who resembled Muhammad Wilkersonwalked in and out of the New York Jets' locker room Wednesday during the media period.

Wait ... it was Wilkerson, the Jets' Pro Bowl defensive end who still hasn't signed his franchise tender.

Wilkerson, who declined to speak with reporters, apparently has made periodic visits to the Jets' facility. Nevertheless, his presence at One Jets Drive could be considered unusual because he's not under contract, technically.By rule, the two sides have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term contract. Failing that, Wilkerson will play 2016 for the amount of his tender -- $15.7 million. He probably won't sign the tender anytime soon. Once he signs, he's required to attend mandatory team activities, such as next week's minicamp. What's the point? Because he's still rehabbing a surgically repaired broken leg, he wouldn't be able to participate in the minicamp anyway.

That Wilkerson is showing up could be interpreted as a positive sign. Even though he's not happy about his contract situation, he apparently isn't upset to the point that he wants to stay away from his workplace.Coach Todd Bowles said he didn't see Wilkerson in the building Wednesday. Bowles said he expects every player under contract to attend next week's minicamp. Wilkerson won't be there ... unless he makes another locker-room cameo.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60821/a-surprise-visitor-in-the-jets-locker-room-muhammad-wilkerson

Offense is nice. But as the tried and true cliché says, "Defense wins championships."On Wednesday, I revealed the nine most indispensable offensive players. Now it's time to identify those "absolutely necessary" guys on the other side of the ball.

Here are the defenders teams simply can't live without, Schein Nine style :

~ ~  9) Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, New York Jets

Mo deserves to be on this list. The Jets know they can't let the star defensive lineman get away, which is why they franchised him. But they are messing around by not giving Wilkerson the long-term deal he deserves.He does it all for the Jets on the field, as the motor behind their great defensive line. And unlike teammate Sheldon Richardson, Wilkerson is the epitome of class off the field.

rest of above article  :  

>    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000668140/article/jj-watt-khalil-mack-lead-2016s-most-indispensable-defenders

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

You know why we don't give Mo Wilkerson a $100 million deal?

Because a guy named Von Miller may end up being UFA next off season

As unlikely as it is, hypothetically, if the Jets signed von Miller, I'd probably have to be admitted to a hospital 

8 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

You know why we don't give Mo Wilkerson a $100 million deal?

Because a guy named Von Miller may end up being UFA next off season

no, its because of the bald and slow $17,000,000 DB

9 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Who is more important to our D than Wilk.  Unless you enjoy watching the Kyle Wilsons and Phillip Adamses

who can be avoided just like he was in 2009.  you can't avoid a d-lineman.  add to that he is worth about $10,000,000 by todays standards and is only going to get older and the reality is this team will have an upside down cap until he is gone

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Who is more important to our D than Wilk.  Unless you enjoy watching the Kyle Wilsons and Phillip Adamses

Considering we have Sheldon and Williams, I'd say Revis and Harris are both more important on any given Sunday.

-- Elite defensive linemen are like tickets to "Hamilton." They're hard to get and the cost will make you swallow hard.

The Philadelphia Eagles did just that on Monday, securing defensive tackleFletcher Cox with a six-year extension for $103 million -- a mega contract that sent tremors all the way up the New Jersey Turnpike to One Jets Drive. The Eagles identified Cox as a cornerstone player, and they paid him handsomely -- an understatement.The monster deal, which includes a reported $63 million in guarantees, has a direct impact on Muhammad Wilkerson's long-term future with the New York Jets, meaning: He has no long-term future. If there was any doubt, the Cox contract clinches it.

The market just went up, and the Jets aren't likely to go up with it.

And that's too bad.

They've been stringing along Wilkerson for two years, reluctant to pay market value for their best defensive player, so there's no way they will take a leap into the stratosphere. They should've locked him up a year ago, when they could've signed him for a lot less.Wilkerson believes he's a better player than Cox -- he's right -- and he won't accept a penny less than the Eagles' talented defensive tackle. Who can blame him? Cox recorded 22 sacks in his first four seasons, Wilkerson made 24.5 in his first four. They don't play exactly the same position, but it's close enough.

Cox gets a $26 million bonus for signing his name on the contract, the NFL Network reported. Wilkerson will have to play two seasons to make $34.5 million on the franchise tag times two.You bet Wilkerson is upset, and now the question becomes: How long will he stay away? Forget this week's minicamp; there was never a chance he'd show for that. The real issue is training camp, which begins July 27. I believe there's a very good chance he won't report. By then, the league-imposed deadline for a new contract will have passed (July 15), so a camp no-show wouldn't be a leverage play for a long-term deal. But he could try to force the Jets to make a no-tag agreement for next year. It also would be a pride play, an anger play -- and maybe a way to force a trade if he gets really, really ticked off.

Chances are, Wilkerson will end up playing for the $15.7 million tender. That would bring his career cash earnings to $25.9 million -- still less than Cox's signing bonus. Next year, they can tag him again (that would get real nasty) or let him walk as a free agent, receiving a third-round compensatory pick in 2018.

Or -- here's a novel concept -- sign him.

The Jets' reluctance to do that is hard to figure. Wilkerson is an excellent player, he's only 26 years old, he's homegrown, and he doesn't get in trouble off the field. You're supposed to build around players like that. Owner Woody Johnson showed last offseason he's willing to spend money, so you'd love to hear his explanation on why he's hesitant to pay a still-in-his-prime player they drafted and developed. The Jets say they want to re-sign him, but the words sound hollow.

Imagine how they sound to Wilkerson.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60914/mo-wilkerson-will-get-long-term-deal-someday-but-it-wont-be-from-jets

Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson and the Jets were not close to terms on a new contract before Fletcher Cox signed his deal with the Eagles on Monday. Now, the gulf between the two sides may actually have widened.

Wilkerson, one of the Jets' best players, has skipped the Jets' offseason program and is expected to miss their three-day mandatory minicamp that begins Tuesday. But because he has not signed his franchise tender, he can miss minicamp without incurring a fine.The Jets and Wilkerson have until July 15 to work out the terms of a long-term deal, at which point Wilkerson would have to play for the one-year, $15.7 million franchise-tag amount. But late Monday, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to NJ Advance Media's Darryl Slater that Wilkerson might not even show for the start of training camp in late July, either. That news had first been reported by ESPN.com. 

If he does not sign his tender, Wilkerson cannot be fined for skipping any part of training camp. The earliest his holdout can cost him money is Week 1 of the regular season, at which point he would not be able to collect his weekly paycheck. Wilkerson could continue to hold out until after Week 10 before he would sacrifice an accrued season.Wilkerson has had to watch as a number of NFL defensive linemen have signed lucrative contract extensions in the last two years. Cox's deal has a max length of six years and a max value of $103 million, with $63 million in guarantees. Pro Football Talk reported that $36.3 million is fully guaranteed, and $55.549 million in fully guaranteed money will be locked in by March of next year.

The Jets, who also have young, talented defensive ends in Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams, are believed to be offering Wilkerson nothing close to that kind of money.Wilkerson is rehabbing a broken leg sustained in the 2015 season finale, and he's been at One Jets Drive from time to time in recent weeks. The Jets tried to trade him before the draft, but found no takers.

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/what_fletcher_coxs_eagles_contract_means_for_muham.html#incart_river_index

Archived