Jets #1 in 6 catagories...

njjetman

We're No. 1." No, not in the standings and not in the ubiqutous online power rankings. But the Jets' strong start has resulted in any number of new and old No. 1 rankings in the NFL after six full weeks. Let's review: 1. Rushing Offense Led by Chris Ivory and his blockers, the Jets rolled to 221 rushing yards against Washington, which lifted their average to 146.0 yards/game and their rank from seventh to first for the first time this season. Last time the Jets were No. 1 in rushing offense this late in a season: nine of the last 11 weeks of the 2009 season, when Thomas Jones held sway.

2. Total Defense

"We've been playing lights-out," said CB Darrelle Revis, and the No. 1 in total yards allowed/game bears that out. In holding the Redskins to 225 yards, the Green & White defense continued its climb from 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st in the past four weeks and is now allowing 269.2 yards/game. The last time the Jets led in total "D" this late in a season: the final four weeks of 2009.

And don't forget the scoring defense, which at 15.0 points allowed/game is No. 1 for the fifth straight week.

3. Yardage Differential

This is not a category the Jets normally rank high in. But with the 249-yard advantage over Washington, they are now the only NFL team averaging 100 yards more than their opponents, plus-110.6, to be exact. Last time first in this category? After last year's opening win over Buffalo. Last time this late in a season? It's before 1997, when my weekly records for this statistic began.

4. Sacks Allowed

One of Todd Bowles' and coordinator Chan Gailey's mantras is to limit QB sacks, and that's been achieved remarkably with the two sacks allowed of Ryan Fitzpatrick, easily No. 1 in lowest sack total and sack rate in the league. Further, it's on pace with the 1966 protection of then second-year QB Joe Namath, which allowed one sack through the first five games and nine for the 14-game season.

5A. Red Zone Defense

The Green & White's red zone "D" holds sole possession of first in the NFL for the fifth week in a row in terms of TD rate allowed (33.3% of opponents' RZ opportunities). The Jets are also No. 1 in scoring rate allowed for the third straight week at 58.3%.

5B. Red Zone Offense

These don't always work hand-in-hand, but the RZ offense likewise has roared up the charts, from dead-last in TD rate last year (36.2%) to third this year (73.7%). Also interesting: The Jets got charged for a failed RZ opportunity when Fitzpatrick kneeled from the Cleveland 10 to seal the opening-day win over the Browns. It counts, but if we factor that out, the Jets have scored on all 18 of their RZ drives (14 TDs, four FGs), a 100% rate that would be tied for the league lead.

6. Takeaways

The most amazing form reversal from a year ago is in takeaways. The NFL ranks teams in most stats by per-game averages, but turnover teams get ranked by totals, so the Jets' 15 takeaways, after Sunday's interceptions by Revis and Marcus Gilchrist, are third and the TO margin of plus-5 is sixth. But if we apply averages to the turnovers, the Jets' plus/minus is plus-1.0/game, tied for second. And the 3.0 takeaways/game is, you guessed it, first.

Yep.  Our defensive stats will becoming back towards the mean.  LOL

yeah, I thought the colts would test our D too.  Count me in the "not scared of the Pats O" category.  And I won't make a single post that may resemble that I am. Colts offensive skill players are infinitely better than the pats players...if Rex's D could slow down the Pats when he coached us last year with that scrub secondary, so can Bowles.

yeah, I thought the colts would test our D too.  Count me in the "not scared of the Pats O" category.  And I won't make a single post that may resemble that I am. Colts offensive skill players are infinitely better than the pats players...if Rex's D could slow down the Pats when he coached us last year with that scrub secondary, so can Bowles.

The pats are inexplicably well coached above and beyond their talent.  Their short passing game is almost always miss matches and wide open plays, they also have though unspectacular receivers other than gronk they all catch the ball.  (Very unusual last week for Edleman to drop a few)

+1 below is the stats from our 2 Pat games from 2014..We own time of possession..

Team Stats

This week will be the true test for the team. 

passing perhaps, at least from a short pass compiling point of view. Rushing? I don't see anything o fear from the Pats in that category relative to the teams we've already played.

Points? I don't see anybody blowing anybody else out. Pats have the edge on sheer rep and perfect record. But I really like the Jets' chances.

The pats are inexplicably well coached above and beyond their talent.  Their short passing game is almost always miss matches and wide open plays, they also have though unspectacular receivers other than gronk they all catch the ball.  (Very unusual last week for Edleman to drop a few)

color me still not scared.  It's not in my nature.  They should be scared of our secondary.  Not vice versa.

+1 below is the stats from our 2 Pat games from 2014..We own time of possession..

Team Stats

I believe we've lost 3 of the last 4 games versus the pats...by a total of 3 points (or something close to it...and that's with Rex as coach).  And we have posters pretending we aren't infinitely better than the 2013 and 2014 teams.  Well, I feel we are and we should be the last team the pats want to play.

I believe we've lost 3 of the last 4 games versus the pats...by a total of 3 points (or something close to it...and that's with Rex as coach).  And we have posters pretending we aren't infinitely better than the 2013 and 2014 teams.  Well, I feel we are and we should be the last team the pats want to play.

Here's the stats from 2013 Geno's rookie year in every game we had more total yds and TOP possession is way in Jets favor and we won the second game in OT..

Team Stats

Team Stats

We will see.  Personally between the cheating house of horrors Foxboro is and the fact they run illegal picks that dont get called a lot.. I see us losing.  Personally I think we beat them in the second meeting at Metlife. 

We will see.  Personally between the cheating house of horrors Foxboro is and the fact they run illegal picks that dont get called a lot.. I see us losing.  Personally I think we beat them in the second meeting at Metlife. 

me too, but I'm not going into the game thinking whoa is us...they should have lost to the colts last week.

i suspect we will have some momentum killing penalties called against us that decide the game...but pretending this offense can't be stopped is stupid.  Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams, and Kyle Wilson shut it down twice last year and our fans are starting to sound like the colts fans last week.  It's pathetic sometimes.  They can and will be beat, I'm confident enough to say it may happen this week.  It might not, but there's a good chance it may.

we don't match up well against their picks?  I'll tell you this, with revis' knowledge and this defense, we are more ready than any other team in the NFL will be and their 15th ranked defense has no one that matches up with decker, Marshall, and Ivory...

some fans need to nut up and be more excited than scared for this match up.  There's a good chance to make this a statement game...even if we lose.  This can be a statement game like the Giants made in the game they lost to the Pats in the undefeated season...a game they knew they should have won and they were the better team.  

me too, but I'm not going into the game thinking whoa is us...they should have lost to the colts last week.

i suspect we will have some momentum killing penalties called against us that decide the game...but pretending this offense can't be stopped is stupid.  Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams, and Kyle Wilson shut it down twice last year and our fans are starting to sound like the colts fans last week.  It's pathetic sometimes.  They can and will be beat, I'm confident enough to say it may happen this week.  It might not, but there's a good chance it may.

we don't match up well against their picks?  I'll tell you this, with revis' knowledge and this defense, we are more ready than any other team in the NFL will be and their 15th ranked defense has no one that matches up with decker, Marshall, and Ivory...

some fans need to nut up and be more excited than scared for this match up.  There's a good chance to make this a statement game...even if we lose.  This can be a statement game like the Giants made in the game they lost to the Pats in the undefeated season...a game they knew they should have won and they were the better team.  

This may be the first time anybody called me stupid and Im perfectly ok with it.  LOL  Hope you are right brother!!

passing perhaps, at least from a short pass compiling point of view. Rushing? I don't see anything o fear from the Pats in that category relative to the teams we've already played.

Points? I don't see anybody blowing anybody else out. Pats have the edge on sheer rep and perfect record. But I really like the Jets' chances.

Exactly. And let the Pats and their fans sleep on this game. With Bowles maintaining our high energy I expect it to look a bit like this as we make our way to their stadium. 

giphy.gif

This may be the first time anybody called me stupid and Im perfectly ok with it.  LOL  Hope you are right brother!!

I called the notion their offense can't be stopped stupid.  Never meant to imply this was pointed at you.  But I hope we don't tip toe into the stadium.  Even if we lose, I want their fans leaving the stadium thinking, "f*ck, we have to play them again..."

Also, Bowles approach of just another game should prevent the team from shooting their wad emotionally aNd having nothing left for the road trip to Oakland the following week.  How many times did Rexhave a let down loss after a statement win?  Felt like every time..,

I called the notion their offense can't be stopped stupid.  Never meant to imply this was pointed at you.  But I hope we don't tip toe into the stadium.  Even if we lose, I want their fans leaving the stadium thinking, "f*ck, we have to play them again..."

I know it wasn't at me.  Though if we win Sunday I would happily change my screen name to stupid. LOL 

In every aspect. We're not playing Miami, Cleveland or Washington this week. Sunday is a real test of where the team is. 

Team Stats

And yet LOST BOTH  :/... I care More about the Final Score.

Archived