Is Kerley out of the doghouse now?

EM31

I think we all can agree that Kerley is not a #1 or even a #2 receiver in this league. We can also agree that he probably got very lucky when he signed his recent deal but it is also clear that he is night and day better than any other #3 slot receiver that we have on the roster.  I don't know if he banged Todd Bowles' daughter or what but it seemed like he must have done something to get himself buried so deep on the bench.

Did the performance on Sunday get him out of the doghouse? 

I think we all can agree that Kerley is not a #1 or even a #2 receiver in this league. We can also agree that he probably got very lucky when he signed his recent deal but it is also clear that he is night and day better than any other #3 slot receiver that we have on the roster.  I don't know if he banged Todd Bowles' daughter or what but it seemed like he must have done something to get himself buried so deep on the bench.

The Honey Badger banged her and still got playing time..

Zsydnibadgerbowles.jpg

It's perplexing because Owusu and Smith are terrible Football players and Kerley is good at Football.  Makes very little sense how they're treating him.  Any time they've used him, all he's done is make big plays and score TD's.  Very confusing, it's quite obvious after Decker and Marshall he's the only receiver worth a sh*t. 

It's perplexing because Owusu and Smith are terrible Football players and Kerley is good at Football.  Makes very little sense how they're treating him.  Any time they've used him, all he's done is make big plays and score TD's.  Very confusing, it's quite obvious after Decker and Marshall he's the only receiver worth a sh*t. 

Terrible football players, because they run fast?  That's harsh.  Randy Moss would be a terrible football player with Fitz at QB.  Is it Smith and Owusu's fault Fitz can't complete a pass outside the numbers and is 2-30+ on passes that travel more than 20 yards in the air?  It's hard for me to call someone horrible because of another player's short comings...like saying Joe Thomas is a horrible run blocker because Trent Richardson couldn't find the hole with lube, baby powder, and a full bottle of chocolate syrup...

Nevertheless, Kerley is better at what Fitz does best, throw to an area inside the numbers.  He also gets separation by great route running.  He couldn't run past a parked car, but he's shifty and can get open, which may make him a better fit for Fitz.  Hopefully this game gets him more into the rotation, but we need to keep Owusu and Smith in packages because getting separation via speed is valuable too, even if our QB can't throw the ball more than 15 yards in the air.  We need to live with the fact we currently have the worst deep ball thrower in the NFL as our QB...we knew that would be the case if he was named our starter before the season even started...

Nevertheless, Kerley is better at what Fitz does best, throw to an area inside the numbers.  He also gets separation by great route running.  He couldn't run past a parked car, but he's shifty and can get open, which may make him a better fit for Fitz.  Hopefully this game gets him more into the rotation, but we need to keep Owusu and Smith in packages because getting separation via speed is valuable too, even if our QB can't throw the ball more than 15 yards in the air.  We need to live with the fact we currently have the worst deep ball thrower in the NFL as our QB...we knew that would be the case if he was named our starter before the season even started...

Terrible Football players, because they're terrible Football players.  At least right now there arent very good.  What have they done to prove differently? Kerley in very little action, has picked up first downs, made tough catches, scored TD's and actually contributed to the passing game.  These guys cant get open and if their only route is a go route, well then, they're terrible Football players .

When the Jets go 4 wide, Kerley should definitely be in there.  Spread the D and have Decker and Kerley in the slots and one of them is bound to get open.. 

It's really that easy.  The 3 bunch set with Marshall, Decker and Kerley, that should be a nightmare for teams but instead...we put guys you literally dont have to worry about in the game. 

Gailey confuses me, to say the least. 

I don't really know why he was in the doghouse.

He's not elite, but he is the 3rd best WR on the team, and he gets open out of the slot.  If you are going 4 wide, he should be in there.

It's really that easy.  The 3 bunch set with Marshall, Decker and Kerley, that should be a nightmare for teams but instead...we put guys you literally dont have to worry about in the game. 

Well, I think Gailey loves Decker in the slot, and Kerley isn't ideal on the outside.

I've liked what Chan's done so far. In fact, I know it's early but he's been byfar our best OC in a while.   However, good coaches find ways to utlize  their talent not make the talent fit their scheme.  I agree that Kerley's been good when giving the chance to play and Bowles should really challenge Chan to find ways to get him more involved in the offense.  When BM is double teamed we're left with Decker who's a  good WR but a reliable third option is must needed.

Well, I think Gailey loves Decker in the slot, and Kerley isn't ideal on the outside.

He might not be ideal...but you need to make it work.  He can get open and he catches everything thrown to him.

Look at the two little guys that beat us up last week.  Yes, it's Brady - but Fitz has obviously see success with Kerley.   Owusu can't catch or get open.  I want to see more of Smith, but Kerley should certainly be getting at least as many plays as Smith.

He might not be ideal...but you need to make it work.  He can get open and he catches everything thrown to him.

Look at the two little guys that beat us up last week.  Yes, it's Brady - but Fitz has obviously see success with Kerley.   Owusu can't catch or get open.  I want to see more of Smith, but Kerley should certainly be getting at least as many plays as Smith.

I agree.  He's still the 3rd best WR on the team.   Get your best players out there, and mold yourself around them to get them the ball.

I've been arguing with my wife all season as to why Kerley isn't playing. I say "who are you going to take out to put him in?" She never has an answer for me but I figured one out for her. Everyone not named Marshall or Decker. In his limited playing time he has some clutch catches and a pair of TDs. I don't care where you have to put him but he needs more snaps. That's a complete 180 from where I was at the start of the season. I though he wasnt as big as the bigs and wasn't as fast as the smalls and that part is still true but doesn't mean much. Decker is pretty much our possession WR but I'd argue if both are open I'd trust Kerley more (Though Decker contested has a much better shot with his size). He's not a #1 or #2 but he's the best 3 that we have.

I think Gailey wants to have 1 of the 3 as a deep threat / burner.  If they all run underneath stuff all the time, that's less pressure on the defense.

Terrible Football players, because they're terrible Football players.  At least right now there arent very good.  What have they done to prove differently? Kerley in very little action, has picked up first downs, made tough catches, scored TD's and actually contributed to the passing game.  These guys cant get open and if their only route is a go route, well then, they're terrible Football players .

They get open.  They're just no longer open by the time Fitzpatrick's throws get there.

I think Gailey wants to have 1 of the 3 as a deep threat / burner.  If they all run underneath stuff all the time, that's less pressure on the defense.

I'm not so sure having a "burner" out there puts any more pressure on the D due to our QB. They know he can't throw the deep ball any way so you might as well get the best guys out there that can make catches in the 7 -14 yards space. 

Devin is open all the time. Devin literally plays too fast for Fitz even the QB coach has stated as much publicly. Kerley is a better match for Fitz though, so should get more playing time. He will never be out of the doghouse though, because he is not a practice warrior, and coaches hate that.

Devin is open all the time. Devin literally plays too fast for Fitz even the QB coach has stated as much publicly. Kerley is a better match for Fitz though, so should get more playing time. He will never be out of the doghouse though, because he is not a practice warrior, and coaches hate that.

All the time? Must have missed the QB coaches comments.

They get open.  They're just no longer open by the time Fitzpatrick's throws get there.

Weird.  I havent seen that.

He has had at least a step on every go route Fitz threw to him. He gets open a lot. With a strong armed QB he would have a couple long TDs

A step, isnt exactly wide open all the time but ok.  No argument here.  A better QB might have connected or Smith might have dropped it.  Who knows. ;-)

What have they done?  The same thing Randy Moss would have done in his prime on this team...The issue isnt the deep threats getting open, the issue is our QB is a waste of a deep threats time.  Randy Moss would have 5 catches tops right now if he was on this team playing with Fitz...maybe...and they'd all be WR screen passes since Fitz'ss passes cant make it outside the hash marks and Randy doesnt run inside them...

Guess you'd be calling Randy Moss a bad football player....got it...understood, and I disagree...he was pretty good.

What have they done?  The same thing Randy Moss would have done in his prime on this team...The issue isnt the deep threats getting open, the issue is our QB is a waste of a deep threats time.  Randy Moss would have 5 catches tops right now if he was on this team playing with Fitz...maybe...and they'd all be WR screen passes since Fitz'ss passes cant make it outside the hash marks and Randy doesnt run inside them...

Guess you'd be calling Randy Moss a bad football player....got it...understood, and I disagree...he was pretty good.

Moss is the best ever since Rice.  He was not a one trick pony and implying so is extremely insulting.  He could do it all and did do it all.  

How is it that Fitz has such good chemistry Marshall and Decker?  Are they not fast?  lol  

Then fitz is a bad football player, because he can only throw the ball 15 yards in the air and cant throw outside the numbers...he's more likely to punt the ball down field for a completion than throwing it...so I guess we can both agree his limitations make him a bad football player by your definition...

Moss is the best ever since Rice.  He was not a one trick pony and implying so is extremely insulting.  He could do it all and did do it all.  

How is it that Fitz has have such good chemistry Marshall and Decker?  Are they not fast?  lol  

Randy Moss ran slant patterns and crossing routes?  You didnt watch randy Moss much I see.  

How is it that Fitz has such good chemistry Marshall and Decker?  Are they not fast?  lol  

he's completed 2 passes so far beyond 15 yards outside the numbers no matter who he throws to...where does Kerley run his patterns, Marshall and Decker have been moved more and more inside...the fact he has 2 completions to the outside is as much if not more of an issue than Owusu and Smith...

Then fitz is a bad football player, because he can only throw the ball 15 yards in the air and cant throw outside the numbers...he's more likely to punt the ball down field for a completion than throwing it...so I guess we can both agree his limitations make him a bad football player by your definition...

Fitz is a bad Football player.  No denying that.  

Randy Moss ran slant patterns and crossing routes?  You didnt watch randy Moss much I see.  

My favorite non-Jet of all time.  He did it all, brother.  He did it all.

And I'll answer my question for you; Fitz has good chemistry with Marshall and Decker because they get open, they are were they are supposed to be, they run more than just go routes and catch the Football when its thrown to them.  Meaning, they're good Football players. 

These are things that Smith and Owusu cant do right now. Hopefully in the future they can.  Maybe saying they're "terrible Football players" was hyperbolic and harsh...but they're not good. And its not because Fitzpatrick is bad.  Fitzpatrick's stink doesnt effect Marshall who's basically having a career year. 

Enunwa has three drops through four games on six catches.  He is a liability aside for his other issues

Owusu has like one or two receptions all year.

The are awful which is why they are basically practice squad guys.

Kerley makes plays in the passing game. he always has done that and it was obvious that he was an upgrade the moment he got on the field last weekend.

All the more strange that Kerley could not get on the field through our first five games.

Archived