Please stop saying Fitzpatrick is the guy...

CobraVerde

Geno will not be a NY Jet next yr, it will be Fitz Petty and another QB probably a draft pick.  Dee will also be on a new team and is probably right decision for both parties. If he cannot get playing time over Walls, it is time to cut ties

Agree with both assessments.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, OK, got it.  So when Geno fails again, it is the fault of the defense, or the coach, or the special teams.  Even though Geno makes multiple mental mistakes at the end of the game with a chance to win.   

However, when Fitz loses with the same coaches, defense, and special teams, then he is not the "guy".  Even though Fitz never had a losing record as a Jets starter.  

What color is the sky in your world?  Just curious.

Why does it have to get nasty?  Just because we have differing opinions?

I never said it was always Fitz's fault when the team loses.  I like Fitz, I think he's done a nice job...I don't think he's the answer and I'm not yet convinced Geno can't be.  

That shouldn't be that hard to understand nor should it be reacted with such vitriol.  Your opinion, that you're certain he's nothing is fine with me, I just don't happen to agree with it.  

You could blame that game on a lot of people.  Geno was the least of them.

I would say Bowles for not having the team prepared, the defense was disgraceful and special teams were atrocious..

I'm not trying to defend Geno, not saying he is or will be the future QB but, and I realize I'm in the minority, I'm not ready to give up on him quite yet.  And the one Raider game, where he came off the bench - isn't enough to make any legitimate assessment.

You asked what Geno would look like with a legit #1 WR and an OC who plays to Geno's strengths. The Raiders game is what he'd look like. And in that Raiders game, the things holding him back were the same as when he was playing with scrubs the last two years. It wasn't like he was making the right calls but simply physically missing on throws. Therefore, it absolutely is enough to make a legitimate assessment.

I'll leave this here since it was clearly ignored the first time:

This is what Geno did in the Oak game:

- Led the Jets to 21-3 deficits and 28-6 deficits before finally scoring a TD against garbage-time defense midway through the 3Q.
- Then he scored another garbage time TD midway through the 4Q.
- On those two drives when Oakland was up big and played shell coverages, he compiled 110 yards (41.5% of his total yardage). After the second TD, he got the ball back 4 times, and with Oak playing their standard defense again in a two score game, he was unable to generate anything, just as he was unable to generate anything against Oak's standard defense prior to being down 28-6. 

I'll grant you that our defense was beyond putrid that game, and I can't fault Geno for the defense giving up 28 points midway through the third. But what about him holding up his end of the bargain and keeping us in it by at least matching them on O? Down 28-6 is an indictment of the defense, but also of Geno. 

Geno had 7 weeks to sit and learn situational football from a high-IQ player - when to take chances/when to move on to the next play/when to redirect a run against a certain base look/when and where to throw hot on a blitz/how to manipulate a safety deep/when to check out of a run/when to skip a progression and go to the next one before the ball is even snapped based on the pre-snap defense/etc. Yet, he was still making all of the exact same mistakes he's been making the past two years- and none of them had to do with his physical ability. That has and will continue to be Geno's issue. 

I mean, I don't know man - you asked what Geno would look like "with a legit #1 target and OC that will play to his strengths". Well, the Raiders game is what he'd look like, and when someone brought up the Raiders game, you asked if they even watched the game or just looked at the stats. I'd counter that your post seems like it was written by someone much more likely to have not watched the game. 

You could blame that game on a lot of people.  Geno was the least of them.

I would say Bowles for not having the team prepared, the defense was disgraceful and special teams were atrocious..

I'm not trying to defend Geno, not saying he is or will be the future QB but, and I realize I'm in the minority, I'm not ready to give up on him quite yet.  And the one Raider game, where he came off the bench - isn't enough to make any legitimate assessment.

It's not who lost the game.  It's what Geno did when the game called for situational awareness and leadership.  He completely sh*t the bed.  I'm sorry but his end of game antics were just plain unforgiveable. 

Why does it have to get nasty?  Just because we have differing opinions?

I never said it was always Fitz's fault when the team loses.  I like Fitz, I think he's done a nice job...I don't think he's the answer and I'm not yet convinced Geno can't be.  

That shouldn't be that hard to understand nor should it be reacted with such vitriol.  Your opinion, that you're certain he's nothing is fine with me, I just don't happen to agree with it.  

At this point my opinion is that it is a bad bargain to risk wasting another season to get confirmation that Geno stinks, since all the evidence we have indicates he is highly unlikely to ever be any good. Yes, there is a chance, but that chance is dismally low.

a QB with no arm that has the best pass blocking OL in the league too. the jets can only score from the red zone with fitz, there is zero deep threat with him

10. Jets, 8-5 (11): Ryan Fitzpatrick remains perfect in the red zone, throwing 19 touchdowns and no interceptions.

:rl:

At this point my opinion is that it is a bad bargain to risk wasting another season to get confirmation that Geno stinks, since all the evidence we have indicates he is highly unlikely to ever be any good. Yes, there is a chance, but that chance is dismally low.

I think you're right. The Geno shipped has sailed.  I'm just a bit disappointed by it.  I'm not losing sleep over it, but would have liked to have seen what he can do. 

Geno's awareness is the problem for me. For the time he was starting it just seemed like he made very bad read and costly mistakes in the pocket.  Put Fitz head on Geno's body and we may have something there but this ain't a Frankenstein movie.   

Geno's awareness is the problem for me. For the time he was starting it just seemed like he made very bad read and costly mistakes in the pocket.  Put Fitz head on Geno's body and we may have something there but this ain't a Frankenstein movie.   

Just read this:

The Jets have scored at least 17 points in every game this season, one of only three teams (Patriots, Panthers) to do so. The Jets are also one of three teams yet to have a turnover returned for a TD this season. 

Consistent offense and no pick 6's.  Not much more you can ask for.  I'm amazed the Cardinals aren't in the 17+ club with us, NE, and Carolina.

Archived