Our Draft during the Rex Ryan era

LIJetsFan

Agreed.   However, we as JETS fans have been through it. he blows his load on the PATS and then nothing.

I am finding that the pattern during the Rex era with the Jets is different from that of the Rex Bills' era.  For example:  Rex and the Jets tended to lose games after the bye week whereas Buffalo won after the bye.  We'll have to wait until this Sunday to see if our team blew our load on the Jets or if we're ready for a win.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to "be real here" then why not talk about the fact that the drafts have very little to do with Rex Ryan.  How quickly everyone forgets that when Mac came on board the talk was that the Jets needed to completely revamp their scouting department.  They are a team that has traditionally not allocated nearly enough resources to scouting or the draft process.  Mac took the job with the promise he'd be allowed to spend more $ on hiring guys to overhaul the whole thing.  Thats why guys like Heimerdinger and Rex Hogan were hired.

Rex was asked for his input and he gave it..  when do we stop pretending he was making the call on who to draft?

The OP's premise was that Rex "was able to net us" in terms of the drafts.

I was just replying to that premise.

To me, it is fairly apparent that Rex had his fingerprints all over many of the Jet picks (not all), but many. Stephen Hill be damned.

I am finding that the pattern during the Rex era with the Jets is different from that of the Rex Bills' era.  For example:  Rex and the Jets tended to lose games after the bye week whereas Buffalo won after the bye.  We'll have to wait until this Sunday to see if our team blew our load on the Jets or if we're ready for a win.

One is a pattern?

Your are definitely correct. I looked at the "moral victory" standings this morning, and damn if the Bills weren't in home field advantage, atop the league.

Rex Ryan football

Yes but did you have time to check out how many Rex Ryan threads are on the Jets Forum?  There's a fine line between love and hate.

For the first 3 years, Rex completely controlled the personnel on the team. Tannenbaum did Rex's bidding, its 100% fact. Tanny and the scouts would often pick between one or two players, but Rex set out the player and drafting strategy based on the type of team he wanted to build. He wanted Cb's and DL.

In 2011 REX decided to let 2 of Sanchez's top weapons and a solid Olineman walk so he could pursue Namdi and try to recreate the 85 Bears defense.

Rex lost some power with Tanny in 12, and Tanny lost his job because of it.

The 12,13 and 14 Rosters were more Rex's fault than Idzik or anyone else. Our current roster is weak because its going to take time to get out from the mess Rex and Idzik put us in.

Gun to your head, which would you rather have?

Giant douche or sh*t sandwich? 

IMO, Parcells was way worse because Parcells was supposed to be making those picks.  Whatever authority those morons gave Rex is on them.  I don't see why we should think it was all Rex since Idzik obviously did not cater to Rex (other than maybe the horrific Boyd pick) and was considerably worse than Tannenbaum.

If you're going to "be real here" then why not talk about the fact that the drafts have very little to do with Rex Ryan.  How quickly everyone forgets that when Mac came on board the talk was that the Jets needed to completely revamp their scouting department.  They are a team that has traditionally not allocated nearly enough resources to scouting or the draft process.  Mac took the job with the promise he'd be allowed to spend more $ on hiring guys to overhaul the whole thing.  Thats why guys like Heimerdinger and Rex Hogan were hired.

Rex was asked for his input and he gave it..  when do we stop pretending he was making the call on who to draft?

Your 100% wrong.

For the first 3 years, Rex completely controlled the personnel on the team. Tannenbaum did Rex's bidding, its 100% fact. Tanny and the scouts would often pick between one or two players, but Rex set out the player and drafting strategy based on the type of team he wanted to build. He wanted Cb's and DL.

In 2011 REX decided to let 2 of Sanchez's top weapons and a solid Olineman walk so he could pursue Namdi and try to recreate the 85 Bears defense.

The 12,13 and 14 Rosters were more Rex's fault than Idzik or anyone else. Our current roster is weak because its going to take time to get out from the mess Rex and Idzik put us in.

meh, why bother.

yup..  all rex.  enjoy your fantasy.

Thanks for compiling. Not sure what it means without context, though. It feels bad that "only" about half are still active, but is this above or below average? I just don't know enough.

Sorry but I don't have that info either.  The Jets are the only team I follow closely enough to be able to talk intelligently about.  Perhaps some others that post here can chime in on other teams.

Link?

meh, why bother.

yup..  all rex.  enjoy your fantasy.

Honestly, you don't have a clue of what you are talking about, you really don't. You are the one in fantasy land.

You must be torn, you think highly of Rex and Sanchez. I think Sanchez had a high chance of sucking, but I think any chance of succeeding was destroyed in 2011 when Edwards, Cotchery, and the Oline fell apart.

Who do you think decided to make those moves to pursue Namdi? You think it was Tanny? If so, you are 100% wrong and I know this as fact.

Honestly, you don't have a clue of what you are talking about, you really don't. You are the one in fantasy land.

You must be torn, you think highly of Rex and Sanchez. I think Sanchez had a high chance of sucking, but I think any chance of succeeding was destroyed in 2011 when Edwards, Cotchery, and the Oline fell apart.

Who do you think decided to make those moves to pursue Namdi? You think it was Tanny? If so, you are 100% wrong and I know this as fact.

If Rex was "100% in charge" and made the decision to pursue Namdi, then why didn't they sign him?

Not to mention, your big evidence of Rexs ineptitude is that he pursued who was universally considered the 2nd best CB at the time.  I mean, what?

I cannot provide a link, but I know it as fact. Watching hard knocks should give you some insight into this, but not all. 

I watched Hard Knocks, nothing I saw would lend to Rex being the sole decision maker for the entire organization.

If that was the case, you dont think he would have conceded to Revis's demand and avoided an entire preseason hold out?  Come'on, I know you hate Rex but this is not 100% fact and I dont think you can prove it ever was.

If Rex was "100% in charge" and made the decision to pursue Namdi, then why didn't they sign him?

Not to mention, your big evidence of Rexs ineptitude is that he pursued who was universally considered the 2nd best CB at the time.  I mean, what?

Lets separate the two, shall we?

First, Namdi chose the Eagles over the Jets, thankfully. Rex did EVERYTHING in his power to get him, and I mea everything.

Second, in isolation, pursuing a great CB is not a bad decision. But we cannot look at that decision in a vacuum. We have to look at what Rex had to do in order to have enough money to make a real run at Namdi.....

He had to let Edwards walk, let Cotchery walk, and allow the Oline to weaken. So I will ask you, when you already have Revis on your roster who at the time was playing at the highest level a CB has possibly ever played at, what do you think is more important, keeping your young developing QB's WR's and Oline in tact, or pursuing the 2nd best CB in football when you already have the 1st best CB in football?

I watched Hard Knocks, nothing I saw would lend to Rex being the sole decision maker for the entire organization.

If that was the case, you dont think he would have conceded to Revis's demand and avoided an entire preseason hold out?  Come'on, I know you hate Rex but this is not 100% fact and I dont think you can prove it ever was.

Contracts were not 100% in his control, and Tanny was trying to get a contract that would not hold the team randsome. What I said was Rex had complete control over they type of roster they were going to build, including dictating positions in the drafts, and free agent decisions. Tanny had to make it work. Tanny was a Parcells/Belichick type GM, which is basically responsbile for the business side of personnel decisions, while the HC makes the football decisions.

I cannot prove any of this, and I don't care if you don't believe me, but I am telling you this with 100% certainty.

Contracts were not 100% in his control, and Tanny was trying to get a contract that would not hold the team randsome. What I said was Rex had complete control over they type of roster they were going to build, including dictating positions in the drafts, and free agent decisions. Tanny had to make it work. Tanny was a Parcells/Belichick type GM, which is basically responsbile for the business side of personnel decisions, while the HC makes the football decisions.

I cannot prove any of this, and I don't care if you don't believe me, but I am telling you this with 100% certainty.

What?  Alright man.  I'll take your word for it.  lol

I'm not in any position to opine on the % of influence Rex had over the draft but I think 99% of us would have to say he had SOME influence.  Not saying all 39 picks during his era were his but some of them were, and some of them he and his CS simply failed to develop properly.  How much is his fault as compared to other teams GM/CS during similar periods is totally unknown.  

One thing is for sure, right now we have depth problems.  The only other alternative is that we have ok depth and we were (A) hit particularly hard but the injury bug this year or (B) our CS sucks and we just don't know it yet.

My theory is its the draft.      

Honestly, it really doesn't matter whether you want to take my word for it or not. I am telling you the reality, you love Rex, and you should see it how you want to see it.

I just asked you to prove what you were claiming with 100% certainty.  This has nothing to do with how I used to feel about our ex-Head Coach.  I could give 2 sh*ts about Rex, I just thought you had info the rest of us didnt have and asked to see it.  That's all.

I just asked you to prove what you were claiming with 100% certainty.  This has nothing to do with how I used to feel about our ex-Head Coach.  I could give 2 sh*ts about Rex, I just thought you had info the rest of us didnt have and asked to see it.  That's all.

I do have info the rest of you don't have, but I really cannot prove conversations that I have had, and honestly, its not really that important to me that people I don't know on a Jets message board believe me or not.

It sounds pretty plausible to me.

Archived