Darrin Walls ~ ~ ~

kelly

The topic of the week — besides whether or not there really is a rivalry between the Jets and Giants — is how the Jets are going to defend against the Eli Manning-to-Odell Beckham Jr. connection if two of their top four corners are out of action.

Darrin Walls said there's no mystery.

"As a group, I think we've got so much depth that we push each other. Going against those guys, it's a challenge in itself," Walls said before no doubt his largest crowd of reporters at his locker this season. "We practice pretty hard. I think we prepare as if we're going to play. Our coach always says you're one play away, and we take that to heart. For me, I have played a little bit last year and I kind of rely back on my technique if all else fails."

That's what Walls did Sunday against Miami and their offense, which boiled down over the course of the 38-20 win to Ryan Tannehill playing pitch and catch with Jarvis Landry.

Walls was on the field for a lot of the Dolphins' 61 pass plays (58 throws, three sacks) because Darrelle Revis (concussion) started the game on the sideline and Marcus Williams joined the Island eight plays in with a knee injury at the end of his early interception."I thought I did OK," said Walls, whose 50 defensive plays was not an unusual amount for his five-year career, the last four with the Jets, but were almost four times as many defensive snaps as he'd played in the first 10 games combined this year. "I thought there were a lot of plays that were left to be made. But coming for Marcus, I tried to do the best I could, just help the team out."Walls was in coverage on Miami's first two touchdown passes, 5-yarders to Landry and Greg Jennings. But he also applied two strong pass breakups before the TDs and also was a special teams presence with two tackles.

In general, he held up well, which was good to see because he could be on the hotseat again, sharing coverage of Beckham and the Giants' other receivers, since Revis remains in the concussion protocol and didn't practice again today and Williams also was a DNP and is day-to-day.This sounds somewhat shaky, but one thing head coach Todd Bowles and GM Mike Maccagnan did this offseason was to build in plenty of that corner depth that Walls spoke of. Buster Skrine is the nickel starter but also plays outside. Second-year man Dexter McDougle got more reps against the 'Fins. And the Jets still haven't tapped into third-year corner Dee Milliner, who Bowles said is "in football shape, he's healthy, he just has to get his turn."Whoever's healthy, whoever's turn it is, Bowles said he had confidence in his corner depth before Miami and he has it heading into battle against Beckham, who had another one of his highlight grabs at Washington on Sunday and already has 1,005 yards on the year, along with nine TDs, on 72 catches.

"People have covered him before, but he's going to make his plays," Bowles said. "He's not impossible to cover. You just have to fight for the ball."Walls is ready to fight if his number is called again."Odell likes to go attack the ball, so regardless of where it is, he's going to go get it. So for us it's just attacking the ball, going up first or pulling his hands away. He's a great competitor and I think that's what makes him so good,": Walls said.

"But it's just like any other week. We're all prepared to play. ... We have guys that are up for the challenge and we practice that way."

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Walls-Is-Ready-If-His-Numbers-Called-Again/e9b8e26c-6328-4475-82da-83d6df77b3ae

They're not going to stick Walls on OBJ.  That's suicide.  I'm sure he'll see a lot of Cro and Skrine...but this is the game you incorporate a ton of zone and if you dont, please dont be an a$$hole like you were vs. the Texans and think that anyone on this team can check OBJ one on one. Roll a safety over the top if you're trying to man up.  Especially sh*tty Walls for christ sake.

LOL @CrazyCarl40 neg repping me because I'm being mean to his sh*tty boo Walls. 

You're a weird dude Carl.  I like you but you're weird.  I could give two sh*ts what a Gator does in the NFL.  You've got a rock solid boner for anyone who has ever wore a golden dome and it wont go down no matter how sh*tty (looks at Walls) that player is.

To really be effective against OBJ the jets have to give safety help almost every play.  The CB covering him however has to play with some level of aggressiveness, you can't give him huge cushion and let him catch and run.  That was my big criticism last year of Walls when he played, he was passive.  And the number one way to keep odj in check?  Smack eli around all game.

LOL @CrazyCarl40 neg repping me because I'm being mean to his sh*tty boo Walls. 

You're a weird dude Carl.  I like you but you're weird.  I could give two sh*ts what a Gator does in the NFL.  You've got a rock solid boner for anyone who has ever wore a golden dome and it wont go down no matter how sh*tty (looks at Walls) that player is.

Except for the fact that he isn't sh*tty. He played fine the other day. When you're talking about the 4th or 5th corner (or any position for that matter) you're not looking at all pros. You're looking at hold the fort guys who won't get beat too badly or cost you the game. Walls is fine in that aspect. He's an average player who makes just as many solid plays as he does bad ones. Comparatively, he's more valuable contract wise than either Skrine or Cro based on performance. I'm not sure why you don't like the guy, seems personal.

Except for the fact that he isn't sh*tty. He played fine the other day. When you're talking about the 4th or 5th corner (or any position for that matter) you're not looking at all pros. You're looking at hold the fort guys who won't get beat too badly or cost you the game. Walls is fine in that aspect. He's an average player who makes just as many solid plays as he does bad ones. Comparatively, he's more valuable contract wise than either Skrine or Cro baJiFsed on performance. I'm not sure why you don't like the guy, seems personal.

JiF's point was that a # 4/5 corner in Walls shouldn't be placed anywhere near Odell Beckham, and you neg-repped him. lol.

Yeah, I get that you don't like when he's called "sh*tty".  But by and large that's what dime corners are:  Too sh*tty to face starting NFL WR's.  When they're pressed into such a duty as that, you have to scheme around it because of how sh*tty they are. 

JiF's point was that a # 4/5 corner in Walls shouldn't be placed anywhere near Odell Beckham, and you neg-repped him. lol.

Might not have a choice, for starters. I'm on record as saying time for Cro to earn the contract he's getting, with obvious safety help. That said, I neg repped him for saying he was sh*tty. He is a perfectly average 4/5 corner who probably would be 2/3 on other CB needy teams. The Jets are lucky to have players like him and Williams in the roles they are in. Marcus Williams would be a starter anywhere else.

Except for the fact that he isn't sh*tty. He played fine the other day. When you're talking about the 4th or 5th corner (or any position for that matter) you're not looking at all pros. You're looking at hold the fort guys who won't get beat too badly or cost you the game. Walls is fine in that aspect. He's an average player who makes just as many solid plays as he does bad ones. Comparatively, he's more valuable contract wise than either Skrine or Cro based on performance. I'm not sure why you don't like the guy, seems personal.

Dude.  He sucks.  If he didnt, he woldnt be a #5 CB and the Jets wouldnt have felt it was necessary to spend 120mil on their secondary this offseason.  Clearly he's good enough to hang around and that in itself isnt easy to do.  He contributes on ST's, so that a plus.  But he's a terrible corner.  That much is fact. 

Nothing personal.  He sucks and that's fine.  Just like many other players around the league and on the team.  For example. Quincy Enunwa is a terrible Football player.  Nothing personal, it's just how it is. 

The person that is taking it personal is you.  You're neg repping anyone who dares say something bad about your boy.  I dont see you doing it when people are critical of other players.  Why is that? 

Yeah, I get that you don't like when he's called "sh*tty".  But by and large that's what dime corners are:  Too sh*tty to face starting NFL WR's.  When they're pressed into such a duty as that, you have to scheme around it because of how sh*tty they are. 

Or you just give up 2 really soft TD's...

Might not have a choice, for starters. I'm on record as saying time for Cro to earn the contract he's getting, with obvious safety help. That said, I neg repped him for saying he was sh*tty. He is a perfectly average 4/5 corner who probably would be 2/3 on other CB needy teams. The Jets are lucky to have players like him and Williams in the roles they are in. Marcus Williams would be a starter anywhere else.

Here's what you're not getting, Carl.  Walls was never the 4 guy on this team.  He was sometimes not even the 5 guy.  The CS would go to Revis, Cro, Skrine, Williams and McDougle before turning to Walls.  If you're a 5-6 guy on the roster, you're pretty sh*tty.  That's just life.  

Walls is a sh*tty CB.  If he wasnt, he'd be playing CB which he doesnt unless absolutely necessary.  So its very easy to deduce that he's sh*tty.

Dude.  He sucks.  If he didnt, he woldnt be a #5 CB and the Jets wouldnt have felt it was necessary to spend 120mil on their secondary this offseason.  Clearly he's good enough to hang around and that in itself isnt easy to do.  He contributes on ST's, so that a plus.  But he's a terrible corner.  That much is fact. 

Nothing personal.  He sucks and that's fine.  Just like many other players around the league and on the team.  For example. Quincy Enunwa is a terrible Football player.  Nothing personal, it's just how it is. 

The person that is taking it personal is you.  You're neg repping anyone who dares say something bad about your boy.  I dont see you doing it when people are critical of other players.  Why is that? 

I think the Jets spending 120 million dollars on the secondary says more about Milliner and McDougle than it does about Walls and Williams. He's not terrible and he doesn't suck. If he did he wouldn't be in the league.

He's average. Do you lose a bit when he plays instead of Revis? Of course. Not many corners you don't. If he played instead of Cro, you wouldn't be losing much at all.

I neg rep on things I find egregious or wrong or something I don't agree with. Check out a Fitz thread. I didn't know my neg rep giving would be such a hot topic.

Here's what you're not getting, Carl.  Walls was never the 4 guy on this team.  He was sometimes not even the 5 guy.  The CS would go to Revis, Cro, Skrine, Williams and McDougle before turning to Walls.  If you're a 5-6 guy on the roster, you're pretty sh*tty.  That's just life.  

Walls is a sh*tty CB.  If he wasnt, he'd be playing CB which he doesnt unless absolutely necessary.  So its very easy to deduce that he's sh*tty.

McDougle has never played over Walls. That's just simply not true. And sure he is the 5 guy here, but would be a 2/3 elsewhere. I'm just not going to engage you in a topic of conversation you're not equipped to have. Obviously you aren't watching the same games I am. You don't like him. Fine. There are much bigger problems elsewhere on the team than a back up corner. You're just doing this for spite and to get me going. I won't push this further.

I think the Jets spending 120 million dollars on the secondary says more about Milliner and McDougle than it does about Walls and Williams. He's not terrible and he doesn't suck. If he did he wouldn't be in the league.

He's average. Do you lose a bit when he plays instead of Revis? Of course. Not many corners you don't. If he played instead of Cro, you wouldn't be losing much at all.

I neg rep on things I find egregious or wrong or something I don't agree with. Check out a Fitz thread. I didn't know my neg rep giving would be such a hot topic.

McDougle has never played over Walls. That's just simply not true. And sure he is the 5 guy here, but would be a 2/3 elsewhere. I'm just not going to engage you in a topic of conversation you're not equipped to have. Obviously you aren't watching the same games I am. You don't like him. Fine. There are much bigger problems elsewhere on the team than a back up corner. You're just doing this for spite and to get me going. I won't push this further.

If Walls wasnt sh*tty, McDougle and Miliner wouldnt matter and I wouldnt call him sh*tty.

I'm not calling a player sh*tty to get anyone going.  I'm calling him sh*tty because he's sh*tty.  And his sh*ttines makes me nervous about our potential to win this weekend.

As far as McDougle playing over Walls, I've seen it with my own 2 eyes.  So you can tell me I'm wrong but I know what I've seen.  Maybe there are games they put in Walls ahead of McDougle, sure, situational stuff.  It may have happened..  But telling me I dont know what I'm talking about when I've watched it happen and they've played about the same amount of snaps (Walls a few more because of ST's), me thinks I'm closer to right than you.  The depth chart has them in the same place too. So...

I think you should stop taking an insult on someone personal because he played for your favorite school.  That's just juvenile behavior.  I could give 2 sh*ts about any former Gators.  

Again, why is it cool to be critical of other players and not Walls?  I think the answer is obvious to every single person on this board except for you.  

Instead of acting like I am and know  what a coach and former NFL player know ...im gonna hope and assume that Bowles and company know what the problem is in covering OBJ and put that plan in place.

Agreed, all we have to do is come up with the same plan we used to shut down the last impact WR we faced, I have full confidence....

https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/deandre-hopkins-vs-darrelle-revis-625-x-352.jpg?w=625

Oh......wait...

I just figured out why Carl hates Miliner so much, he could take playing time away from Walls.

Walls BTW is Sh$#tty.  Just saying.

And he played on the Bama team that absolutely embarrassed his team in the National Champ game.  I'm sure that plays a factor. 

afosomf loves his Bama players too.  He'll stick up for them when he shouldnt but even he knows to what extent and when to throw in the towel.  Carl has an unabashed love for anyone to ever play Notre Dame Football. 

I like Carl.  He's a great poster.  It makes me sad that he thinks this about me getting him fired up and not just being critical of a player who isnt very good.  

I just figured out why Carl hates Miliner so much, he could take playing time away from Walls.

Walls BTW is Sh$#tty.  Just saying.

I don't hate Milliner. I just don't think he's a good player. He was a 1st round draft pick who has done nothing. I don't think he should be getting reps ahead of anyone at this point. 

And he played on the Bama team that absolutely embarrassed his team in the National Champ game.  I'm sure that plays a factor. 

afosomf loves his Bama players too.  He'll stick up for them when he shouldnt but even he knows to what extent and when to throw in the towel.  Carl has an unabashed love for anyone to ever play Notre Dame Football. 

I like Carl.  He's a great poster.  It makes me sad that he thinks this about me getting him fired up and not just being critical of a player who isnt very good.  

I think Dee needs to be cut, it will never work here. maybe a change of scenery will help him.  Some guys are not meant to play in NFL, Trent Richarson is one of them.

As far as McDougle playing over Walls, I've seen it with my own 2 eyes.  So you can tell me I'm wrong but I know what I've seen.  Maybe there are games they put in Walls ahead of McDougle, sure, situational stuff.  It may have happened..  But telling me I dont know what I'm talking about when I've watched it happen and they've played about the same amount of snaps (Walls a few more because of ST's), me thinks I'm closer to right than you.  The depth chart has them in the same place too. So...

Walls plays the outside and McDougle plays the inside. The only time McDougle plays is either in a dime situation or Skrine is hurt.

I am critical of a lot of players. You know that. It's perfectly fine to be critical of them. There's nothing to be critical about him at this point. Let's wait and see what happens this weekend.

I think Dee needs to be cut, it will never work here. maybe a change of scenery will help him.  Some guys are not meant to play in NFL, Trent Richarson is one of them.

It makes little sense to cut him.  We are on the hook for next years salary 600K+; if we cut him (i don't know about offsets) we still owe him the 645K and have to take his prorated signing bonus hit of 1.8 million; If he stays, we have to pay him a 1.5 million roster bonus.  So, the question is - is he worth 1.5 million in cash and cap to keep him, and I would say yes.  A serviceable CB for 1.5 million is pretty good.  Walls only costs us 1 million, Williams is 500k (what a steal), while Skrines is 6 million; so, we can cut him, but most likely if he is healthy we will keep him or trade him.  But, anything can happen, he just has a decent dead money hit to cut him.

It makes little sense to cut him.  We are on the hook for next years salary 600K+; if we cut him (i don't know about offsets) we still owe him the 645K and have to take his prorated signing bonus hit of 1.8 million; If he stays, we have to pay him a 1.5 million roster bonus.  So, the question is - is he worth 1.5 million in cash and cap to keep him, and I would say yes.  Cutting a serviceable CB for 1.5 million is pretty good.  Walls only costs us 1 million, Williams is 500k (what a steal), while Skrines is 6 million; so, we can cut him, but most likely if he is healthy we will keep him or trade him.  But, anything can happen, he just has a decent dead money hit to cut him.

The message sent  to players is sometimes more important.  The cap hit for Dee is minute. Send him on his way.

It makes little sense to cut him.  We are on the hook for next years salary 600K+; if we cut him (i don't know about offsets) we still owe him the 645K and have to take his prorated signing bonus hit of 1.8 million; If he stays, we have to pay him a 1.5 million roster bonus.  So, the question is - is he worth 1.5 million in cash and cap to keep him, and I would say yes.  Cutting a serviceable CB for 1.5 million is pretty good.  Walls only costs us 1 million, Williams is 500k (what a steal), while Skrines is 6 million; so, we can cut him, but most likely if he is healthy we will keep him or trade him.  But, anything can happen, he just has a decent dead money hit to cut him.

I don't think they should cut him either. I think he should get some playing time this year and a full camp next year and battle Williams and whomever else for the #2 spot next year after they cut Cro. He hasn't played meaningful snaps in 2 years, that's a lot of rust pus a new coaching staff and system.

I don't think they should cut him either. I think he should get some playing time this year and a full camp next year and battle Williams and whomever else for the #2 spot next year after they cut Cro. He hasn't played meaningful snaps in 2 years, that's a lot of rust pus a new coaching staff and system.

Agreed.

They're not going to stick Walls on OBJ.  That's suicide.  I'm sure he'll see a lot of Cro and Skrine...but this is the game you incorporate a ton of zone and if you dont, please dont be an a$$hole like you were vs. the Texans and think that anyone on this team can check OBJ one on one. Roll a safety over the top if you're trying to man up.  Especially sh*tty Walls for christ sake.

Walls on a 7th rounder is suicide man to man.

I wwould not trust Skrine on OBJ. He has been missing too many tackles for my liking lately and we all know what OBJ can do after catch. He missed 2 or 3 tackles on Landry last week. He was pretty good tackling early in the year. I think it might be because of the hand injury because he has been playing with a big black cast on his hand. 

Walls on a 7th rounder is suicide man to man.

Yeah, its a scary thought.  Got to play zone.  It's really the only option.

I wwould not trust Skrine on OBJ. He has been missing too many tackles for my liking lately and we all know what OBJ can do after catch. He missed 2 or 3 tackles on Landry last week. He was pretty good tackling early in the year. I think it might be because of the hand injury because he has been playing with a big black cast on his hand. 

Definitely think its the cast.  He has a hard time wrapping up with just one hand.  He's a smaller guy so it makes sense.  

The problem is, Cro cant tackle either.  Haha.  We're going to be in some trouble unless Bowles finds a way to keep these guys playing in front of them, not letting them get behind them and somehow, some way, getting pressure with having to send a blitz. 

Yeah, its a scary thought.  Got to play zone.  It's really the only option.

Definitely think its the cast.  He has a hard time wrapping up with just one hand.  He's a smaller guy so it makes sense.  

The problem is, Cro cant tackle either.  Haha.  We're going to be in some trouble unless Bowles finds a way to keep these guys playing in front of them, not letting them get behind them and somehow, some way, getting pressure with having to send a blitz. 

Bowles cut back on the blitzing against Miami a bunch and they still got pressure thanks to Mauldin and Catapano. I think you see a lot of that again. Pressure is going to be key for sure. 

I haven't seen too much zone out of Bowles this season. Maybe now is the time to deploy it. Can't leave any of these corners on an island with no help. The NFL is just structured to be an aerial assault week in and week out. 

Archived